• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Vegard Forren (CD) Molde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Know nothing about him but if he's that good, why didn't Solksjaer tip off his buddy at the scum.
He did;

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-transfer-target-vegard-1498651

They have five centre backs though and three young talented potential players already so doubt they would be interested in any CB other than a starter, a marquee maybe this summer to replace Ferdinand or Vidic. Fulham, Everton, Reading and Southampton have all been heavily linked with this guy with an eye to challenge for starts. Should be good enough for our fourth choice. May even surprise us and be quality.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Know nothing about him but if he's that good, why didn't Solksjaer tip off his buddy at the scum.
He actually said that he's good enough for MUFC, so... (I read some article in The Mirror today about it.)

kwala

TIA Regular
2 pages and not one youtube clip! He must be shit!

As a 4th choice, and with Carragher looking likely to call it a day, it looks worth a shot.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Have a feeling Rodgers thinks Agger and Skerts don't have sufficient competition this season and the likes of Carragher and Coates are not pressuring them enough...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Have a feeling Rodgers thinks Agger and Skerts don't have sufficient competition this season and the likes of Carragher and Coates are not pressuring them enough...
Think that is the reasoning on sending Coates out on loan to get him playing and proven/fully developed so he can come back and challenge their places as a proper third choice. They would need to keep on their A games to keep their specks but as you say Carra and Coates arent challenging them now. In mean time we bring in a fourth choice to cover. If Carra doesn't retire in Summer maybe this guy will go out on loan next season with Coates 3rd choice Carra 4th next year.

*corballyred*

Maybe it is if he comes hope he is a Rodgers signing or he might find himself outcasted like assaidi.

Centre backs should be the least of our worries this January.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Like with Coates, Assaidi and some others in recent past, have no idea who this guy is. But hopefully he can be a player who we can count on when needed as it's really difficult with the youth we have all over the field.

Oh and yes if he's good enough for our pal norwegian wood then he's most probably good enough for me as well.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Maybe the scouts are for the first time since rafa . Saying that can't remember city signing anyone from scandaniva.

Screams of bargain basement shopping. But hey his wages will cheap.
Don't know if Fallows or Hunter were responsible but the spotting of John Guidetti looks like being a super bit of business for city .

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
My first reaction was, do we really need another CB in this window,when we need options further up the park.

Still wonder a bit but on Norwegian Wood's summing up he might be a good player to have, especially if he can play LB pretty well.

As others have pointed out Carra's days are numbered and Coates could benefit from being loaned out and getting games regularly.Wouldn't want him sold though.

El Cuchillero

Més que un pedantic shit.
I've never seen the boy myself, but as Zoky says, if he's good enough for norwegian wood...

Our scouts, though, are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Only signed him on FM2010 and he is deemed a consistent performer, big game performer and scores goals from free kicks and headers...

Ok on a more serious note...

If he is deemed good enough, sign him. We have been very lucky with injuries so far, with Agger not missing any league game this season. Skrtel is also becoming inconsistent for me and we need some serious competition to keep him on his toes. So a move for Forren, if Nowergian wood's opinion is correct, seems sensible. He can also play LB, which is a plus point since we are short in that area.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
The reason for trial could be - Assaidi?

A low money signing from a different low level league. We may just want to make sure that we don't do an Assaidi - where the player couldn't adapt for the league even after half a season. If he works upto the expected level, then we will go onto sign him. If not send him back.

Agree that Coates needs a loan move to push his development. At the moment its stagnated here.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
The reason for trial could be - Assaidi?

A low money signing from a different low level league. We may just want to make sure that we don't do an Assaidi - where the player couldn't adapt for the league even after half a season. If he works upto the expected level, then we will go onto sign him. If not send him back.

Agree that Coates needs a loan move to push his development. At the moment its stagnated here.
i agree, but what exactly we can do? we can play in the team only if he signs! :p, i really dont know how a trial would help.

norwegian Suarez

TIA Youth Team
Vegard Forren is an exiting player. He was much better than everyone else in the norwegian tippeliga last season. But what would that say. The teams in Tippeligaen does not preform well out in europe.
It will always be questions about the quality of players from small leagues.

Vegard has played really well at the national team, and also for Molde in Europe. And I think when he is in his own class in the norwegian league, he is ready to step it up and reach another level with better players around in his team. Vegard is very similar to Agger. He is really good with the ball, a good passer and can bring the ball forward from the defence - In Brendans stile of play he will fit in nicely. Agger - Forren will be great for a passing tiki taka team.

Forren is good in the air. He is tough - never say die attitude. He is pacy and also a okay tackler. he got it all, but is it good enough?

I asked the same question about Solskjær when United signed him, and about Heggem when we signed him.

Players like Kippe and Kvarme, I always thought was not good enough for LFC, Kvarme impressed me in his first matches, then came Danny Cadamarteri and his Pool carrier was over...

I think Forren is a good player to buy as a back-up for Agger- Skrtel. He is better than Coates at the moment (in my opinion) And Carra should not be our main back up plan, he does a gret job when we sit back against Chelsea, City. But in matches when we stand higher up in the pitch he has lots of problems..

hjepp

TIA New Signing
I am not sure what to think about this. Forren has done very well in the Norwegian league and he has done well in the national team. The Norwegian league is NOT, to be honest, the greatest league in the world and it is not exactly brimming with top class strikers. I believe he has 3 caps for Norway in which he has played very well. However, the games have been vs. Cyprus, Hungary and Switzerland which aren't exactly Spain or Germany. From what I have seen of him; he is a good reader of the game, he is good on the ball, he passes the ball well and he is decent in the air. His physique and pace are okay too.
I believe Forren may turn out to be a decent and perhaps even good signing but as for now I don't see him as more than a back up.
My major concern: During the last 4-5-6 years, players who have been viewed as great talents and good players while playing in the domestic league have in general failed miserably when moving abroad to other leagues, much smaller leagues than premier league.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
I am not sure what to think about this. Forren has done very well in the Norwegian league and he has done well in the national team. The Norwegian league is NOT, to be honest, the greatest league in the world and it is not exactly brimming with top class strikers. I believe he has 3 caps for Norway in which he has played very well. However, the games have been vs. Cyprus, Hungary and Switzerland which aren't exactly Spain or Germany. From what I have seen of him; he is a good reader of the game, he is good on the ball, he passes the ball well and he is decent in the air. His physique and pace are okay too.
I believe Forren may turn out to be a decent and perhaps even good signing but as for now I don't see him as more than a back up.
My major concern: During the last 4-5-6 years, players who have been viewed as great talents and good players while playing in the domestic league have in general failed miserably when moving abroad to other leagues, much smaller leagues than premier league.
Noted, but we can't continue to discount talents from smaller leagues, the likes of; C.Ron, Nistelrooy, Ben Arfa, Papis Cisse, Demba Ba, Hangelaand, and Vidic, all of whom came from outside England, Italy, or Spain.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
I think what Agger and Skerts need is someone who is genuinely as good as them who can push them all the way...at training and to give the manager a headache of who to play..because we are conceding far too many goals at the moment..and they may need the serious competition from someone as good as them as an international player.

Coates doesn't seem to be doing that sadly.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Apparently we were watching him in 2008:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nettavisen.no%2Fsport%2Ffotball%2Ftippeligaen%2Fmolde%2Farticle2159473.ece&act=url

Well every time i've seen his name so far, I can only think of Heggem who I seem to remember as a good player who was unlucky with injuries.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I think what Agger and Skerts need is someone who is genuinely as good as them who can push them all the way...at training and to give the manager a headache of who to play..because we are conceding far too many goals at the moment..and they may need the serious competition from someone as good as them as an international player.

Coates doesn't seem to be doing that sadly.
It would be a huge shock of Forren offered that competition. Best case is that he is able to offer a squad filler role similar to Kyrgiakos.

hjepp

TIA New Signing
Noted, but we can't continue to discount talents from smaller leagues, the likes of; C.Ron, Nistelrooy, Ben Arfa, Papis Cisse, Demba Ba, Hangelaand, and Vidic, all of whom came from outside England, Italy, or Spain.
It was not my intention to discount him or players from smaller leagues at all. As I said, I believe he may turn out to be a decent signing. Being from Norway, I have seen many players who were considered great players and talents in Norway leaving for other leagues in recent years and it is a worry that very few are enjoying any success. I am not saying that this is going to be the case with Forren at all if he signs.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Looks like its off and he is choosing starting 11 at Southampton over bench here. Fair play.

norwegian Suarez

TIA Youth Team
Norway have had some great players in England and around in Europe.
Erik Thorstvedt (Spurs) Lars Bohinen (Forest, Blackburn, Derby) Øyvind Leonhardsen (Great at Wimbledon, Not as good at Liverpool and Spurs) Brede Hangeland (Fulham) John Arne Riise (Monaco, Liverpool,AS Rome)
Stig Inge Bjørnebye (Liverpool) Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (United) Rune Brathseth (Werder Bremen) John Carew (Valencia, AS Rome, Aston Villa, West Ham) Vegard Heggem (Liverpool)Jostein Flo (Sheffield United) Tore Andre Flo (Chelsea, Rangers, MK Dons) Jo Tessem and Claus Lundekvam (Southampton)Mohammed Abdoullauhe (Hannover)

others has not had success like Frank Strandli (Leeds) Staale Solbakken (Wimbledon) Martin Andresen (Wimbledon) Kippe, Kvarme (Liverpool) Erik Nevland (United - great in Holland..)Per Siljan Skjelbred (Hamburg SV Big talent - not playing much in Germany)

So the norwegian league has produced good players, but not many since the ninetees... Forren is a player who might be a good signing and in the top list with Riise, Hangeland. Hangeland had highly recomended him for his manager Jol in Fulham. And other teams like Everton, Southampton, Genk has showed their interest for him.

News in Norway says Forren was not at Melwood today, but that Molde and Southampton had agreed an offer for him, and he was talking to them over the personal contract. At Sothampton he might also be a starter...

norwegian Suarez

TIA Youth Team
I know the list lacks some players, but it was as an example....Erik Mykland (Panatinakos ans Munich 1860)

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
There is no doubt Norway has produced some great players over the years especially suited to English football.

However in almost all instances their talent is recognized at an early age, and they get snapped up.

When a player reaches 25 and is still in a lower league, questions get asked

Is he a late bloomer ?
Is he simply not ambitious ?
Has he struggled with injuries ?
Did he simply want to play for club he supported as a boy ?

The underlying questions of why a player who has been playing first team football for 5 years (and a pro for 7) has not been picked up earlier.

There is nothing wrong with signing someone from Norway, just as there is nothing wrong signing a player from New Zealand, Nigera or Japan. However the older they are, the risker the transfer becomes, as he is entering his prime rather than a player learning his trade.

Chances are we wont be able to improve him significantly as a footballer, and essentially what we see today is what we get.

I know everyone is saying 4M on Forren what does it matter, 4M on Ince is not too bad, 4 M on assidi was a risk worth taking........However that could easily become 12M on players who have absolutely no impact on the team, as bad as spending 20M on Downing.

Those 4M here and there, alternatively could be wages for an overpriced star. Sneijder or a Walcott or perhaps a player like Bellamy

Finally is it a wise investment at expense of Coates on loan ?

I know a settled back 4 is key, but Agger is yet to complete a season with more than 27 pl games. While there is cup football, and cant Coates be brought on (say in those games were we dominate) to aid his development ?

Status
Not open for further replies.