• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Vegard Forren (CD) Molde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
However in almost all instances their talent is recognized at an early age, and they get snapped up.
I think this is particularly relevant, and something I agree with. The level of scouting out there now at the top clubs means it's almost unheard of for a top player in their mid-20s to suddenly emerge from one of the weaker leagues.End of the day, I think Rodgers saw this as a bit of a punt, and even then he wanted a close look at the player before committing a fairly small sum (relatively speaking) on him. If, as James Pearce has now said, he advised Molde to accept Southampton's offer, it indicates he wasn't that fussed.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Doesn't seem this one lasted long, don't know that too many will be fussed, one way or the other because no one seemed to know much about him, except, of course, norwegian wood.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
I found it intriguing that Rodgers wanted him on a trial - kinda unusual for an established player. He obviously wasn't convinced.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Probably dodged a bit of a bullet here.

Although it was only a BB.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
I was hoping Southampton would buy a good CB to keep them in the Premier League this window. Preferably not at our expense though... They just need Butland now and they'll have one of the most promising teams in the Premier League.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I found it intriguing that Rodgers wanted him on a trial - kinda unusual for an established player. He obviously wasn't convinced.
It's a good sign that the manager is keeping the cash he has to spend and doing it wisely though...better to offer a trial and not bother than to spend £4m on a player that had no chance of being in the first team.

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
so BR doesnt rate Coates , Kelly and Wisdom for cover in the centre back position.

Showdown

TIA Reserve Team
would a 2 million offer from a big club be more enticing, or is it better to not take the chance and buy him for 15 if he becomes the player that some rate him to be.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
so BR doesnt rate Coates , Kelly and Wisdom for cover in the centre back position.
Don't think that's the case at all.
Coates needs game time, but we can't afford to loan him out till we have a replacement.

Kelly has hamstring issues right now

Wisdoms still very young

Carra nearing the end of his contract

Wilson looks as if he'll not make it

Presuming Wilson leaves and Carra retires our centre back options will be down to

First Choice: Agger, Skrtel

Second Choice: Coates, Kelly

Third Choice: Wisdom

Don't think it's unrealistic for us to look at brining in another second choice player. Will keep Agger and Skrtel on their toes

RedIsland

Can i ask why is it assumed that he was being bough as cover? Skrtel and Agger are a good CB pairing but they have been prone to mistakes.Its because i dont know how good the player is im saying maybe he was being brought in with a view to directly competing with either of the boys.?
Its not strange that a player an internet forum hasnt flagged but a club has scouted has being brought in to actually play for the club.Just thinking out loud.

scouseheadross

Septical
There is no doubt Norway has produced some great players over the years especially suited to English football.

However in almost all instances their talent is recognized at an early age, and they get snapped up.

When a player reaches 25 and is still in a lower league, questions get asked

Is he a late bloomer ?
Is he simply not ambitious ?
Has he struggled with injuries ?
Did he simply want to play for club he supported as a boy ?

The underlying questions of why a player who has been playing first team football for 5 years (and a pro for 7) has not been picked up earlier.

There is nothing wrong with signing someone from Norway, just as there is nothing wrong signing a player from New Zealand, Nigera or Japan. However the older they are, the risker the transfer becomes, as he is entering his prime rather than a player learning his trade.

Chances are we wont be able to improve him significantly as a footballer, and essentially what we see today is what we get.

I know everyone is saying 4M on Forren what does it matter, 4M on Ince is not too bad, 4 M on assidi was a risk worth taking........However that could easily become 12M on players who have absolutely no impact on the team, as bad as spending 20M on Downing.

Those 4M here and there, alternatively could be wages for an overpriced star. Sneijder or a Walcott or perhaps a player like Bellamy

Finally is it a wise investment at expense of Coates on loan ?

I know a settled back 4 is key, but Agger is yet to complete a season with more than 27 pl games. While there is cup football, and cant Coates be brought on (say in those games were we dominate) to aid his development ?
Sami Hyppia signed for us as an unknown aged 26. Full stop!

Carra is not going to play beyond this season, so having cover for Skrtel (Coates) and Agger (Molde) would be sensible. But are they both PL quality?

I agree there are higher priorities as we already have a superb, natural CB in Wisdom, plus hasn't Kelly been offered a new contract, as he is comfortable playing there.

Personally wouldn't spunk the money on Schneider as think he could easily be injured, not settle or just plain trouble/unsettling. Would rather go for some hungry, youth - securing Ince, and getting other talent like Kačaniklić back.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Has Howedes signed a new contract at Schalke or not?

Only seen him a few times but would have thought he'd be a much better signing. Would probably cost a bit more obviously but there's a reason for that.

Would prefer someone who's coming in to challenge Agger and Skrtel, not someone who's going to sit on the bench and play some cup games.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Guy thought he had signed for Adkins, but will have to deal with Pocchettino now... Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.