• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Virgil van Dijk (CB) Southampton

Virgil in January?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

*** suso ***

If he joins City he knows deep down that he has made no difference to them in terms of winning the league but if he joins us and we become champs in the future then it would be obvious he has made the difference. Pass me that straw.
whats to say he wont win the league next season and the season after that (we could but not very likely)

being a liverpool supporter would probably sway in for me but if i wasnt a lfc fan i wouldnt even think twice. as long as i was 1st choice i would go to city or one of the big spanish clubs ( better weather )

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
if i was him i would go to city. More money and more trophies.its a no brainer for me
Sure is, can get at least 50k a week more from them and they are nailed on for the League so he gets a winners medal in his first season and a red hot chance of Cl success in the second half of the season too.

Stones and Otamendi arent going to keep him 3rd choice very long either so yes very much a no brainer so fingers crossed he likes a challenege and remains loyal to Klopp but tbh I dont see it happening and this will go down as another coulda woulda shoulda for us.

Bob

Sure is, can get at least 50k a week more from them and they are nailed on for the League so he gets a winners medal in his first season and a red hot chance of Cl success in the second half of the season too.

Stones and Otamendi arent going to keep him 3rd choice very long either so yes very much a no brainer so fingers crossed he likes a challenege and remains loyal to Klopp but tbh I dont see it happening and this will go down as another coulda woulda shoulda for us.
:-(

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Spending 60mil on a 3rd choice CB.

How on earth are anyone ever gonna compete with that ffs.

City are simply blowing everyone out of the water with their money.
Its a joke really, they arent even a club anymore they are the national team for Abu Dahbi pretty well. They have shown they dont care about Financial Fair play with previous sanctions not slowing down their spending at all.

At some point Fifa is going to have to step in and slow all of this spending down. City and PSG are just making a mockery of the the transfer market. Its unsustainable, especially the wages they are paying and this proposed deal spending 60 mil for third choice players is absurd. Can only hope we are still in the game and he still wants us and the guaranteed 1st choice and possibly even the captaincy.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
First of all, what makes people think Van Dijk will be their 3rd choice centre half? He could very well be one of the 3 Guardiola likes to use in his team these days, and Kompany is slowing down which needs someone to take over his spot soonish. Ottamendia is no spring chicken either. Second, don't we sound bitter about the City spending. Decades ago we can afford to go out and spend £14m for a striker from France while City was hoping to seal a deal for £1.4m for theirs. Now we are bitching about them able to spend more than us?

If we don't have what it takes to fight with the big boys, then let's not cry about it and live with it. I don't see us hoping to see FIFA stepping in when and United were buying players at record sum. We paid £11m for Collymore the very same season they signed Nigel Clough for £1.5m, 7 times the amount they spent. Stan Collymore cost us 80% of the total sum City spent on their entire transfer that summer. Don't see us saying we should ask FIFA to investigate us.

[email protected]

First of all, what makes people think Van Dijk will be their 3rd choice centre half? He could very well be one of the 3 Guardiola likes to use in his team these days, and Kompany is slowing down which needs someone to take over his spot soonish. Ottamendia is no spring chicken either. Second, don't we sound bitter about the City spending. Decades ago we can afford to go out and spend £14m for a striker from France while City was hoping to seal a deal for £1.4m for theirs. Now we are bitching about them able to spend more than us?

If we don't have what it takes to fight with the big boys, then let's not cry about it and live with it. I don't see us hoping to see FIFA stepping in when and United were buying players at record sum. We paid £8.5m for Collymore the very same season they signed Nigel Clough for £1.5m, 7 times the amount they spent. Stan Collymore cost us 80% of the total sum City spent on their entire transfer that summer. Don't see us saying we should ask FIFA to investigate us.
Thing is Ed, we weren't the plaything of a sovereign nation with basically unlimited wealth as a result. We all know the history of the Club and how we became a powerhouse. We were well run and our owners weren't skint by any means but for the most part our ability to buy then was also because of our successes on the pitch. United, as much as we hate them, is a cash cow of their own making and smarts by moving with the times quicker than anyone else when Sky invented football and then cashing in when they were on top of the pile when it went global.

City were contrived. Are still contrived. Ederson, Walker, Mendy, Danilo. Thats over £150 million in one window. If they go for VVD and get him thats over £200 million in one one season. Add Stones, Managala and Bravo and then you're knocking on £300 million if it happens. That is not staggering, or eye popping. That is just an obscenity.

I genuinely think complaints are warranted. Have a read of the article I posted in the PL thread and I know you don't like Elessar but he also posted a decent read about City in the Random Football thread. The bastards are here to stay, no doubt about it, and we'd better get used to another hegemony from Manchester now because thats whats going on and its simply being propped up, stage managed and sold as 'football' by oil.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Thing is Ed, we weren't the plaything of a sovereign nation with basically unlimited wealth as a result.
Regardless mate.

Trace back our transfer records back in the 92 season till now. We hit £30m spending around late 90s and we have been spending the level of United until they hit 2001/02 season where after 10 years their business strategies mature, Glazers started to leverage the club to give money to spend like crazy is when we saw them pulling away from us completely. Take a look at the transfer market website and check each year. Some of the years, for instance 96/97 season where we spent more than United who made profit. We have not been shy from spending more than any other clubs, we were the big kahuna back in the days.

If our owners are not capable to compete with these rich giants, then we have to concede defeat. Like what City did back in the 90s. We complained about the obscenity of the way these rich oligarchs are spending their money now because we can't do what they did. I am not going to say that we are angels and never overspent. Just take a look at 99/00 record as an example, we spent a whopping £46.8m and sold about £11.5m worth of players, while the title winner spent £7.2m. In today's world, with all the inflation, that figure would reflect at least 3-4 times, which would be around £150-170m if not more.

Liverpool Transfer Activities 99/00
Reigning Champs 99/00

We were City. We spent like these fuckers today. It's just that we were fucked by previous owners and now the current ones are prudent/frugal, like those other clubs below us in that year. The tide shifts and we found ourselves at the wrong end of the wave, and instead of riding it high, we are only able to coast by. I will never complain what others can spend simple because we were like them before.

bukowski

To tell you my opinion on the topic.

I Just believe that the roumors about man city and vvd is a piece of "cheese" to make us make the bid. I think that the story vvd- man city had finished when the player said that his only option is lfc. The player will be ours in a couple of days.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
I will never complain what others can spend simple because we were like them before.
We built a successful club by winning games over many years and that is how we built the wealth to spend on players.

They are essentially a state sponsored entity who have bought success using the natural resources of a sovereign nation which anywhere else in the world would be the property of the taxpaying public so no we have never been like them at all.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
First of all, what makes people think Van Dijk will be their 3rd choice centre half?
The article that people are replying to, that says VVD will be third choice.

I think that VVD is better than what city have already, aside from a permacrocked Kompany, but that article read suspiciously like a briefed piece to open the door to a bid from us. Something about going to City to be third choice, and them bring willing to pay 60m makes me think that it's all to soften the blow when we come in with £70m and first choice.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

I think that VVD is better than what city have already, aside from a permacrocked Kompany, but that article read suspiciously like a briefed piece to open the door to a bid from us. Something about going to City to be third choice, and them bring willing to pay 60m makes me think that it's all to soften the blow when we come in with £70m and first choice.
Ducker also gets shit loads wrong, like the Reina to replace Bravo story.

Looks to me as you said, first the Palmer article where we are close to finalising (screams of wanting City to bid to get a bidding war), now this by Ducker (3rd choice? Really?)

I still think he comes here, as people have said the loyalty shown by Klopp should be the deciding factor.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
6 days until the transfer window opens and this is probably going to have a new twist everyday.

I try to be optimistic but I would be very disappointed if we miss out.

The reliable Liverpool journos don’t reporting anything on this one could be a good sign because of what happend in the summer (zero information leak).
The moment we hear 'BREAKING - Clubs agreed a fee...' will probably be the same Moment VvD arrives for a medical.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
One article that said he is going to City and the board is in full panic mode, priceless. lolThere are more fine CB out there guys.

jabu

TIA New Signing
Thing is Ed, we weren't the plaything of a sovereign nation with basically unlimited wealth as a result. We all know the history of the Club and how we became a powerhouse. We were well run and our owners weren't skint by any means but for the most part our ability to buy then was also because of our successes on the pitch. United, as much as we hate them, is a cash cow of their own making and smarts by moving with the times quicker than anyone else when Sky invented football and then cashing in when they were on top of the pile when it went global.

City were contrived. Are still contrived. Ederson, Walker, Mendy, Danilo. Thats over £150 million in one window. If they go for VVD and get him thats over £200 million in one one season. Add Stones, Managala and Bravo and then you're knocking on £300 million if it happens. That is not staggering, or eye popping. That is just an obscenity.

I genuinely think complaints are warranted. Have a read of the article I posted in the PL thread and I know you don't like Elessar but he also posted a decent read about City in the Random Football thread. The bastards are here to stay, no doubt about it, and we'd better get used to another hegemony from Manchester now because thats whats going on and its simply being propped up, stage managed and sold as 'football' by oil.
u forgot Silva..

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We built a successful club by winning games over many years and that is how we built the wealth to spend on players.

They are essentially a state sponsored entity who have bought success using the natural resources of a sovereign nation which anywhere else in the world would be the property of the taxpaying public so no we have never been like them at all.
If you were to look closely in those Houllier and Evans years, we didn't make money but we still spend a lot of it off Moores' pocket. The difference is we are a club coming off a 2 decade of winning pedigree. Like Moores, City uses their owner's money to build on their club to win things. The fact that we fucked up in our transfer dealing, investment and football operations from 92 until now cannot be put the blame on others ability to spend more money now. Look at the amount we've spent in the Klopp's thread over the years under FSG is also no chicken feed. Rodgers fucked up a lot in his years with us in terms of players movement.
Yes, but I am asking who in the club has made it clear that he will be 3rd choice? Salah was supposed to be Mane and Coutinho's backup.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Like. Times 10.

Man city is a microism, but I feel what you touch on has a lot to answer for regarding a lot of today’s .........issues........

Quite why the Arabic world wants to bomb the fuck out of a concert in Manchester when a few families hold enough wealth to pretty much buy football is beyond me......yep, I geddit, stuff happened in the past....but what’s happening now is more important.........but I digress.....

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
3rd choice. lol

If he joined them today, maybe he would need a bit of time to get himself right physically and adjusted to how they play. But you spend that kind money with a view for him to become a starter and soon, that's a no brainer really. Even when you are City and you have more money than a Liverpool, concede less goals, have a style of play that is in place more and more from goalkeeper to striker and can afford to put less importance/pressure to a player like him. It is an area where Pep is eyeing reinforcements, I guess if he goes for him then he wants him to partner Stones. Keep Otamendi as backup, get rid of Mangala and then Kompany as well slowly and then get another "cheaper" one in to have 4 options.

[email protected]

u forgot Silva..
Yeah. I was just using the numbers for their defence for this exercise. They have literally gone out and bought multiple players for the same defensive positions for an obscene amount in just 2 seasons and a bit without even taking into consideration the vast amounts spent on other parts of the team as well.

We can hold our powder and splash out that amount once every 4 or 5 seasons without having to sell to buy such as what we were hoping would happen this past summer and what we hope will happen this coming window or the next. Make no mistake though, if we do that splash then we're not going to see another in a while whereas if City buy VVD and he flops they will just buy the next almost immediately without giving it a second thought.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Looks to me as you said, first the Palmer article where we are close to finalising (screams of wanting City to bid to get a bidding war), now this by Ducker (3rd choice? Really?)

I still think he comes here, as people have said the loyalty shown by Klopp should be the deciding factor.
The other thing that got me is the £70M pricetag.

Yes, I would have accepted that last summer if we had got the deal done. But with it now known that we are the destination he wants, I say we lower the price to £45-50M which I think is a more accurate price range for him. If they still try to push for the full 70, then offer either Ings or Sturridge as a make weight as lets face it, they are desperate for goals, so by offering them a decent striker, it may be enough to push the deal through at a cheaper price

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The other thing that got me is the £70M pricetag.

Yes, I would have accepted that last summer if we had got the deal done. But with it now known that we are the destination he wants, I say we lower the price to £45-50M which I think is a more accurate price range for him. If they still try to push for the full 70, then offer either Ings or Sturridge as a make weight as lets face it, they are desperate for goals, so by offering them a decent striker, it may be enough to push the deal through at a cheaper price
I think the inflation could be right, he is one of a handful of players who could still play champions league football this season, that will carry a premium.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I think the inflation could be right, he is one of a handful of players who could still play champions league football this season, that will carry a premium.
True, but the biggest price driving factor that Saints were banking on was a bidding war. That is now ruled out as it is known where he wants to end up. Others might still dream of getting him, but the minute we put our cards on the table it is us and VVD in the driving seat (as long as we put a respectable and genuine offer in).

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
On the radio, they are saying that Man City have opened talks with Southampton. Tbh, I bracing myself for a disappointment. Man City seem to get anything they want and have all the luck. I do hope we get a CB, and a DM from somewhere and if possible.

Last edited:

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team

Yes... we would all love if loyalty by the club was rewarded by loyalty from the player. I haven't seen anything from VVD to indicate he is the type though.

C

Caradoc

On the radio, they are saying that Man City have opened talks with Southampton. Tbh, I bracing myself for a disappointment. Man City to get anything they want and have all the luck. I do hope we get a CB, and a DM from somewhere and if possible.
My concern is that VvD staying at Soton is no longer an option for either party, VvD will definitely leave Soton this January and for political and economic reasons he will have little choice but to go to Man City irrespective of his preference.

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
How deluded are we? If City want him they get him, simples really.

Walking away with the league

More money

Wages no problem

Further advanced than us at the moment

Do we really think he would turn them down to play for us. The thought of playing in front of Migs and Karius will be enough to put anyone off.

We sign him if City walk away.

Sadly thats how low we have fallen over the years. Twit & Twat did more damage that we realised at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.