• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Virgil van Dijk (CB) Southampton

Virgil in January?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
Virgil will most likely we unveiled by someone around 1 January. He's missed two games in a row and no injury from what I can tell. So that should mean transfer happening. Unless he's throwing a tantrum still. A characteristic I'm not partial to in a high end professional.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
He's joining LFC. Gut instinct tells me.

I would make him captain if I were Kloppo. Come on, they have already met, how could you possibly resist playing for such a wonderful man and club?!

Steve_LFC

I will believe it when i see it happen...

Meantime for rest of season. I want to see Matip and Klavan start the big games.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I personally don't think City will bid, whilst City have and will spend silly amounts of money, I think even for them £70mil for VVD is going to open questions they won't want to be answering right now. Especially when they could get Jonny Evans or Ingio Martinez for £30mil each (would be happy as 3rd choice etc.)

Just feels like VVD to us was agreed in the summer, it's why he's been just going through the motions, it's why we did the apology (and no-one else bid). Everything now playing out in the media is just a spin to see Southampton appear to be getting the best price possible for a want away asset.

Add to that, the radio silence from every Liverpool based journo, add to that all the Southampton based ones suggesting it's lfc, add the likes of Matt Le Tisser (who was adamant in the summer he wouldn't be coming here) now being far more accepting of a move here etc.

Finally the fact Klopp went all out to convince him on the Big One, he kept loyal to Virgil (didn't go for another defender), we are about to see the fruits of that painful labour.

Maybe my hope/heart is making 2 + 2 = 4, and over ruling cognitive sanity, but irrespective of that, and it's the season of joy and happiness..I think we have we bloody good chance..

LaurazRed

The hopeful one
I personally don't think City will bid, whilst City have and will spend silly amounts of money, I think even for them £70mil for VVD is going to open questions they won't want to be answering right now. Especially when they could get Jonny Evans or Ingio Martinez for £30mil each (would be happy as 3rd choice etc.)

Just feels like VVD to us was agreed in the summer, it's why he's been just going through the motions, it's why we did the apology (and no-one else bid). Everything now playing out in the media is just a spin to see Southampton appear to be getting the best price possible for a want away asset.

Add to that, the radio silence from every Liverpool based journo, add to that all the Southampton based ones suggesting it's lfc, add the likes of Matt Le Tisser (who was adamant in the summer he wouldn't be coming here) now being far more accepting of a move here etc.

Finally the fact Klopp went all out to convince him on the Big One, he kept loyal to Virgil (didn't go for another defender), we are about to see the fruits of that painful labour.

Maybe my hope/heart is making 2 + 2 = 4, and over ruling cognitive sanity, but irrespective of that, and it's the season of joy and happiness..I think we have we bloody good chance..
I really hope you're right, I still think City will bid and VVD would be guaranteed the PL title. Either way at least we'll soon know.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
I really hope you're right, I still think City will bid and VVD would be guaranteed the PL title. Either way at least we'll soon know.
VVD wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed a PL winners medal. According to the Premier League handbook, a player needs to make a minimum of 5 appearances (includes appearances off the bench) to earn a medal. With <16 games left (assuming he were to join early in January) and as third choice, he might not get the required number of games. (says he, clutching at straws)

[email protected]

RedStefarus

TIA Youth Team
Don't forget the all powerful Klopp-hug. Won't get that from Pep that's for sure!!!
Could the hug be an issue? Not everybody is a hugger. I hug my kids (and my wife on occasion) but that’s it. I would want his (Klopps) love from a distance.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Seriously I expect him to leave in January and I imagine they would prefer to sell to City than us purely because of recent transfer history.

If Vvd has a choice of City or staying he will pick City.

What I do find interesting is that for all the people bleating about how there must be loads of alternatives to him across Europe; for all their money the best alternative that City seem to have come up with is Jonny Evans.

Mark Thurgood

Seriously I expect him to leave in January and I imagine they would prefer to sell to City than us purely because of recent transfer history.

If Vvd has a choice of City or staying he will pick City.

What I do find interesting is that for all the people bleating about how there must be loads of alternatives to him across Europe; for all their money the best alternative that City seem to have come up with is Jonny Evans.
Could Evans be on his radar as he’s a home grown player?
Would Evans bare the hatred of playing for City after his United days? I really don’t think so, not many players have done.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Saints fans would rather see him go to City than us as they see us as being on of their competitors. Deluded fans!

I am expecting us to match any offer city put In, but can also see Saints being arses about where he goes.

Whatever happens, I would expect some movements of a new CB here in Jan, whether VVD or another.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Saints fans would rather see him go to City than us as they see us as being on of their competitors. Deluded fans!
lol

Good luck to them with changing managers every season and this time it could be no different.

Bob

I am expecting us to match any offer city put In, but can also see Saints being arses about where he goes.

Whatever happens, I would expect some movements of a new CB here in Jan, whether VVD or another.
Saints can't dictate to VvD where he goes as long as the fee is acceptable to them. He's not a slave or a piece of meat, he is a human being who can decide for himself and if he wants us and we want him and we pay what Saints want then he comes to us.

C

Caradoc

Saints can't dictate to VvD where he goes as long as the fee is acceptable to them. He's not a slave or a piece of meat, he is a human being who can decide for himself and if he wants us and we want him and we pay what Saints want then he comes to us.
They can refuse to sell him to Liverpool irrespective of the transfer fee offered.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If fees are deemed acceptable. That's the key. If City offers £70m and we offer £60m, Southampton would accept City bid and reject ours. His desperation to leave will be tested when that happens. That in a way is like Southampton giving Van Dijk no options but theirs.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I can't see them doing that as they desperately need to sign some attacking players and they ain't got any cash until they realise their star asset.
You don't know that.

£75m according to the Telegraph. Retweeted by Bascombe and Joyce has said he still prefers coming to us.
If that's the price tag to us, then I would expect him to be able to reduce our goal conceded by 20 per season. Since we sold our 30 goals a season striker for that price.

Bob

If fees are deemed acceptable. That's the key. If City offers £70m and we offer £60m, Southampton would accept City bid and reject ours. His desperation to leave will be tested when that happens. That in a way is like Southampton giving Van Dijk no options but theirs.
We only need to match the City offer. Its seems likely to me that Klopp and VvD have a long standing understanding (maybe from Blackpool) that Liverpool want him and only him and he will only go to LFC and no other club as long as we stay faithful to him.

C

Caradoc

Could Evans be on his radar as he’s a home grown player?
Would Evans bare the hatred of playing for City after his United days? I really don’t think so, not many players have done.
Oh I don’t know Denis Law managed it. He played for City twice - before and after United. He even scored the goal at Old Trafford that at the time he believed had sent United down with a cheeky back-heel. There were pitch invasions from Utd supporters and the match was abdandoned but the result stood. United were relegated.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We only need to match the City offer. Its seems likely to me that Klopp and VvD have a long standing understanding (maybe from Blackpool) that Liverpool want him and only him and he will only go to LFC and no other club as long as we stay faithful to him.
Yes, that's when he's worth no more than £40m. If it's £75m, I don't see it happening.

C

Caradoc

I can't see them doing that as they desperately need to sign some attacking players and they ain't got any cash until they realise their star asset.
But you just said that they couldn’t block VvD’s transfer to LFC. Make your mind up mun!

And you don’t know what Soton’s financial situation is. If its as dire as you suggest why did they prevent VvD from moving on in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.