Virgil van Dijk (CB) Southampton

Virgil in January?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

I don't like to play the downer in here, but I can't honestly wrap my head around this. He can't be that good, can he? Possibly a player who will reinforce us, but at that price? Klopp's future at the club will literally hang on this peculiar thread. If he turns out to be a Lovren mk 2, it will be curtains for Klopp and co, that you can be sure of.

It's a gigantic gamble, and to be honest, I don't like it one bit.

Anyway, I'll do as always and look for the positives when he joins us. But all in all, this move is just like the big ones of last summer: a symptom of how sick and morally corrupt football has become these days.
£75 mill is the new £25 mill. So much money around now that this will seem cheap in 5 years.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. You can have 11 players on the pitch of quality, but until they start playing proper football together.... we still haven't sorted out the #6 role and Henderson is once again injured.

Keita isn't the solution to that problem either
Bet you're a fucking right riot at the pub sipping your half pint of larger shandy for 3 hours.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
£75 mill is the new £25 mill. So much money around now that this will seem cheap in 5 years.
If there weren't people starving and in need of help all around the world, I'd agree with you. As things stand, I don't. By accepting to pay this kind of fees and salaries, football has become morally corrupt.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I don't like to play the downer in here, but I can't honestly wrap my head around this. He can't be that good, can he? Possibly a player who will reinforce us, but at that price? Klopp's future at the club will literally hang on this peculiar thread. If he turns out to be a Lovren mk 2, it will be curtains for Klopp and co, that you can be sure of.

It's a gigantic gamble, and to be honest, I don't like it one bit.

Anyway, I'll do as always and look for the positives when he joins us. But all in all, this move is just like the big ones of last summer: a symptom of how sick and morally corrupt football has become these days.
Sorry mate but I dont understand this. All I read in here is how Lovren is shit, we havent replaced Sakho etc etc. Here we are going balls out for the CB that the manager wants. He won't make us worse, I can guarantee you that, and its a better than even chance he'll improve us. It's a lot of money but how long have we argued for the club to back the manager in the transfer market? Now they are and the complaint is its too much money! Klopp could be excused for wondering what it is that some fans actually want. Please don't worry about the money. Just enjoy the ride.

YeGra

£75 mil is worth it just to see less of Lovrens face to be honest.

I know it's a fuck load of money. I know football is a little corrupt these days. But let's face it, we're going to stay Liverpool supporters. And with that constant in place, we want to see improvement and Van Dijk will bring it.

Coutinho won't be worth whatever we sell him for. Because he is going to cost more than 100 mil!! So it's all relative.

Let's just enjoy the fucking massive transfer saga that is Van Dijk is going to end positively.

Now to go on saintsweb and watch them implode.

Mark Thurgood

£75 mil is worth it just to see less of Lovrens face to be honest.

I know it's a fuck load of money. I know football is a little corrupt these days. But let's face it, we're going to stay Liverpool supporters. And with that constant in place, we want to see improvement and Van Dijk will bring it.

Coutinho won't be worth whatever we sell him for. Because he is going to cost more than 100 mil!! So it's all relative.

Let's just enjoy the fucking massive transfer saga that is Van Dijk is going to end positively.

Now to go on saintsweb and watch them implode.
Now to go on saintsweb and watch them implode. Haha, you’re all heartlol

Chewbazza

True Believer
You can't say that for sure. He may pick City, but there are also other factors that may come into play.

If he chose Liverpool in the summer, and Liverpool remained loyal to a verbal agreement between him an Klopp, he may decide to do the same.

He may relish what Klopp has sold him regarding the way of life at Liverpool, as opposed to easy trophies at City. He may particularly want to work with Klopp, and see the togetherness in our squad as being particularly appealing.

He may view helping Liverpool back to the top as more appealing that slotting into a ready made winning team.

Without knowing anything about his values, personal motivations or character it's impossible to make definitive judgements about what he'd decide.

I can only speak for myself, but I've always made decisions based on ethics, and I personally don't like the way the City project is distorting the game, I don't like the way the sovereign wealth fund of a nation is being used for some vanity project instead of the betterment of its citizens, and I don't like the political theocracy of the ruling class of Saudi Arabia. I wouldn't want to play for them regardless of how many trophies they guaranteed.
Sorry what I meant was I *think* he would pick City.

There are of course multiple factors that can affect his decision, I just think if the only clubs that are in for him are us and City and Southampton point blank refuse to sell to us, I don't think he would choose to stay.

But all just speculation until he moves or the window closes. For the record I hope we sign him.

EDIT, Things seem to be developing since I wrote that earlier so can probably just ignore it all anyway.

Last edited:

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Bet you're a fucking right riot at the pub sipping your half pint of larger shandy for 3 hours.
Tequila. I am not boring. Rather, experienced in the ways of LFC. call it...used to disappointment.

Maybe this is a huge Rubicon for us.. we have ~6 weeks to February CL round of 16 and an excellent draw. If we can get all cylinders firing it could be a great year for us in 2018. But we still have this giant hole in the midfield and we can't paper over that crack. Every team in the EPL top6 have a beast in that spot, bar us

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Sorry mate but I dont understand this. All I read in here is how Lovren is shit, we havent replaced Sakho etc etc. Here we are going balls out for the CB that the manager wants. He won't make us worse, I can guarantee you that, and its a better than even chance he'll improve us. It's a lot of money but how long have we argued for the club to back the manager in the transfer market? Now they are and the complaint is its too much money! Klopp could be excused for wondering what it is that some fans actually want. Please don't worry about the money. Just enjoy the ride.
Oh, don't worry, I will (if VVD doesn't turn out to be an unflushable turd, that is...). But while paying around 35m for the likes of Salah or Mané was already grueling money compared with the real economy everyone lives in, this is now the double! A center back who isn't one jolt better than Hyypia or Henchoz were in their best times, and who has spent the last year injured or in and out of a mediocre Southampton side, is now worth one Salah and one Mané? Give me a break...

By the way, the argument about Rio Ferdinand (not yours) doesn't hold water imo. This is one who clearly was the best in the game after two outstanding seasons at Leeds, both in the PL and the CL. Ferguson paid mega-bucks for this peculiar 24 years old, but he had a much, much bigger standing in the game than VVD currently has.

I'm probably just an old fart, but this is too much for me. I didn't expect this, as fsg didn't strike me as drunken sailors spending all their money on one player until now. Yes I know, there's Carroll. The cynical in me tells me that VVD might well be the new Carroll, and Coutinho the new Torres. Time will tell, but if that happens, I don't consider that fsg will have backed Klopp. They'll rather have weakened him.

Maria

Shocked to see the club spend that level of cash on a defender. Delighted but shocked. That puts an end to the stick that FSG get from some quarters about not supporting the Manager. Klopp has spent heavily on Mane, Salah, Ox, Keita and now VVD. Let's hope he buys a keeper and DM in the summer and were really ready to rock.
Its a huge fee but transfer fees are swings and roundabouts. Salah looks like an absolute steal now and would likely fetch north of 100M if he was on the market. The great news is Jurgen has yet to buy any real duds so lets hope this continues with VVD. Lets enjoy it and let the money men worry about the size of the fee.
I am in shock too with the amount if money spent on a defender. However, Klopp is generally very good getting the best out of players. Also, I think he will be managed better by the medical department. Fingers crossed, he will have less injuries with us.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Oh, don't worry, I will (if VVD doesn't turn out to be an inflatable turd, that is...). But while paying around 35m for the likes of Salah or Mané was already grueling money compared with the real economy everyone lives in, this is now the double! A center back who isn't one jolt better than Hyypia or Henchoz were in their best times, and who has spent the last year injured or in and out of a mediocre Southampton side, is now worth one Salah and one Mané? Give me a break...

By the way, the argument about Rio Ferdinand (not yours) doesn't hold water imo. This is one who clearly was the best in the game after two outstanding seasons at Leeds, both in the PL and the CL. Ferguson paid mega-bucks for this peculiar 24 years old, but he had a much, much bigger standing in the game than VVD currently has.

I'm probably just an old fart, but this is too much for me. I didn't expect this, as fsg didn't strike me as drunken sailors spending all their money on one player until now. Yes I know, there's Carroll. The cynical in me tells me that VVD might well be the new Carroll, and Coutinho the new Torres. Time will tell, but if that happens, I don't consider that fsg will have backed Klopp. They'll rather have weakened him.
The fee includes an incompetence tax for having fucked it up in the Summer. Probably cost us at least another £15 million. And dont worry about FSG. They will already have worked out that Coutinho is worth at least 2 VVDs.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Oh, don't worry, I will (if VVD doesn't turn out to be an inflatable turd, that is...). But while paying around 35m for the likes of Salah or Mané was already grueling money compared with the real economy everyone lives in, this is now the double! A center back who isn't one jolt better than Hyypia or Henchoz were in their best times, and who has spent the last year injured or in and out of a mediocre Southampton side, is now worth one Salah and one Mané? Give me a break...

I think the reality of today's TV money is upsetting the old logic that experiences fans fans dwell on. To drop massive amounts of money on potential instead of proven experience, betrays our instincts.

But modern football is a younger mans game and now 30+ players are considered on the decline instead of peak. So to wait for a player's peak means paying giant heaps for his development.

I also theorize this is the reasoning behind Kirkby....to sign early and do our own development.

Also why I am seeing Barca and Real setting up camps in Vancouver this summer.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
If the reports are real, we paid £70m plus add-ons, then why didn't we do that in the summer in the first place. At the end, they wanted £70m and we hesitated. Good to see reinforcement, but leaving me guessing what the feck was the football operations back office fuckers are doing last summer. Would have saved us all this headache of watching Lovren going through his life crisis unfold in front of our eyes.
We love you, Eddie. Don't ever change :-)

Who the fuck deleted my lean poll. Although I admit, I hadn't seen 'Christmas Tree' coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.