• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Virgil van Dijk (CB) Southampton

Virgil in January?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Oh, don't worry, I will (if VVD doesn't turn out to be an inflatable turd, that is...). But while paying around 35m for the likes of Salah or Mané was already grueling money compared with the real economy everyone lives in, this is now the double! A center back who isn't one jolt better than Hyypia or Henchoz were in their best times, and who has spent the last year injured or in and out of a mediocre Southampton side, is now worth one Salah and one Mané? Give me a break...

By the way, the argument about Rio Ferdinand (not yours) doesn't hold water imo. This is one who clearly was the best in the game after two outstanding seasons at Leeds, both in the PL and the CL. Ferguson paid mega-bucks for this peculiar 24 years old, but he had a much, much bigger standing in the game than VVD currently has.

I'm probably just an old fart, but this is too much for me. I didn't expect this, as fsg didn't strike me as drunken sailors spending all their money on one player until now. Yes I know, there's Carroll. The cynical in me tells me that VVD might well be the new Carroll, and Coutinho the new Torres. Time will tell, but if that happens, I don't consider that fsg will have backed Klopp. They'll rather have weakened him.
The fee includes an incompetence tax for having fucked it up in the Summer. Probably cost us at least another £15 million. And dont worry about FSG. They will already have worked out that Coutinho is worth at least 2 VVDs.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Oh, don't worry, I will (if VVD doesn't turn out to be an inflatable turd, that is...). But while paying around 35m for the likes of Salah or Mané was already grueling money compared with the real economy everyone lives in, this is now the double! A center back who isn't one jolt better than Hyypia or Henchoz were in their best times, and who has spent the last year injured or in and out of a mediocre Southampton side, is now worth one Salah and one Mané? Give me a break...

By the way, the argument about Rio Ferdinand (not yours) doesn't hold water imo. This is one who clearly was the best in the game after two outstanding seasons at Leeds, both in the PL and the CL. Ferguson paid mega-bucks for this peculiar 24 years old, but he had a much, much bigger standing in the game than VVD currently has.

I'm probably just an old fart, but this is too much for me. I didn't expect this, as fsg didn't strike me as drunken sailors spending all their money on one player until now. Yes I know, there's Carroll. The cynical in me tells me that VVD might well be the new Carroll, and Coutinho the new Torres. Time will tell, but if that happens, I don't consider that fsg will have backed Klopp. They'll rather have weakened him.
I think the reality of today's TV money is upsetting the old logic that experiences fans fans dwell on. To drop massive amounts of money on potential instead of proven experience, betrays our instincts.

But modern football is a younger mans game and now 30+ players are considered on the decline instead of peak. So to wait for a player's peak means paying giant heaps for his development.

I also theorize this is the reasoning behind Kirkby....to sign early and do our own development.

Also why I am seeing Barca and Real setting up camps in Vancouver this summer.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
If the reports are real, we paid £70m plus add-ons, then why didn't we do that in the summer in the first place. At the end, they wanted £70m and we hesitated. Good to see reinforcement, but leaving me guessing what the feck was the football operations back office fuckers are doing last summer. Would have saved us all this headache of watching Lovren going through his life crisis unfold in front of our eyes.
We love you, Eddie. Don't ever change :)

Who the fuck deleted my lean poll. Although I admit, I hadn't seen 'Christmas Tree' coming.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
A Liverpool transfer story in three acts:

Anfield HQ @AnfieldHQ

BREAKING: Virgil Van Dijk is definitely staying at Southampton this summer. (SkySports)
@AnfieldHQ: Manchester City are closing in on a £60 million deal for Southampton centre-half Virgil van Dijk, writes @TelegraphDucker
James Pearce‏Conta verificada @JamesPearceEcho
Virgil van Dijk will become a #LFC player on January 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.