• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

We ARE the Champions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

richieh10

That Carra video of Gary Neville is awesome.

I gotta say I think he is a great pundit and he has taken the whole Liverpool are Champions very well.

before I get pelters for this I might just add,
He was United; I’d expect him to hate us but I think he has paid us respect plenty of times this season and last.

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
Witn all the hullabaloo about us needing to strengthen up front for when our front three age – and I do agree that we need to plan for the future – I saw someone mention this morning that our back five could play together for the next five or so years. Even if Virgil loses a little bit of pace, he’d still be faster than John Terry was in his prime — and look how long he played for! Plus, while Virgil’s pace and athleticism are impressive, they are far from the only attributes to his game and I think he will only continue to develop as a leader (he’s a pretty good one right now!). Trent and Robbo have many good years left, as does Joe, and I think Ali could go until he’s 40.

In the US, we say that offense wins games but defense wins championships, and while I think it would be grossly oversimplified to say that is where we should hang our hats, I would still rather be in our position than, say, United’s, in terms of having a ripe back line (us) vs. ripe offense (them): Wan-Bissaka is decent but not dynamic and older than Trent, Shaw and Lindelof are pants, Maguire is decent but no VVD, and De Gea is not improving.

Trent aside – and even that’s debatable as he hasn’t even tapped his potential – I don’t think anyone could objectively say they would take any of United’s back four over ours. They may be good going forward, but they don’t have anywhere near the class we do at the back. Plus, our front three have a good few years yet, and I am confident Jurgen will rebuild the team as they age.

Last edited:

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
It may appear like I’m talking to myself, but I’m not too bothered.

On a similar note, anti-climactic as it may be when we do lift the trophy, I took that afternoon off from work so I can watch it live. :)

Either way, good to know we will have a party when it’s safe! I say “we” even though I am an ocean away – so I’ll be living vicariously through those of you fortunate enough to attend!

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
Very random thought: imagine how a certain Bobby Duncan must be feeling seeing us end that 30-year wait with Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott and Neco Williams finding meaningful first-team minutes.
yeah I had the thought that he's messed up mentally to want to leave Liverpool in the first place but it was confirmed through his cooments during that time. his agent is complete shite, one of the jobs of an agent is to advise young lads about the entire career and certain being in a Liverpool kit was best for his career, seems the lad was thinking like Americans (yeah I'm one ah them), wanting it NOW and putting self above everyone else.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
the euphoria level has not diminished one iota, in fact, it keeps rising. Once again, “Thank you/Vielen Dank” Herr Klopp, the players, staff, management and all the supporters/fans and anyone else who I may have forgotten for bringing such enormous delight, joy, excitement, ecstasy, true happiness ............. the need to say more exceeds the vocabulary level to fully describe my feelings HELP!!!!!

Commando

Ad-free Member
I've been trying to dig out the all time football league table. I found this one:

Is that up to date? We are still top with the best goal difference although Everton have scored more goals (I blame Dixie Dean for that).
I'm being cautious before I start celebrating our "All Time Prem and Division One Championship". Glossop North End have a few games in hand and if they go on a run then anything could happen.

Incognito

The Normal One
Stumbled upon this compilation...I've watched pretty much every compilation the past couple of weeks, but this one is next level.

Winning the champions league last season when we just missed on league was very important. Things might not have worked out the way they did as losing back to back CL finals and just missing out on league might have been devastating.

Klopp being at helm and a year on year improvement and evident progress surely was an important aspect, the exodus from the earlier years didn't happen thankfully. How important stability is!

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Can anyone explain to me, why are we having 5 substitutes next season? I understand why they did it this season due to the Pandemic break and fear of injuries and the summer months.

petergriffin2020

It's all for me grog
Winning the champions league last season when we just missed on league was very important. Things might not have worked out the way they did as losing back to back CL finals and just missing out on league might have been devastating.

Klopp being at helm and a year on year improvement and evident progress surely was an important aspect, the exodus from the earlier years didn't happen thankfully. How important stability is!
Was thinking about that this morning on my drive to work. Last night I watched The Red Men TV's documentary on #6 and that — in addition to the Final, obviously — the Barcelona game was absolutely massive. I didn't think Man City would drop points to Leicester, but think about how the narrative would have been if we had racked up 97 points and still had nothing to show for it. To think back on how unlikely that comeback was, particularly considering we had no away goal, and I'm still amazed to think where we are; if we didn't come back (or win the final), I don't think we win the League this year. As for the final, obviously we were better than Spurs last year, but just look at where the two sides have gone in the last 12 months.

On that note — been thinking about the number of sliding doors moments in games (e.g. not Klopp arriving or signing VVD/Alisson/Fabinho) we've had that have led us to winning the League. Obviously we'll never know whether or not we would have won otherwise, but I do look back and think of these and (personally) believe that they all played a big part.

Here's my top 10 sliding doors moments that helped us win the title:

10. Sheffield United away, September 2019. It was not the best performance from us by any stretch, but the fact that we managed to get the win showed our battling qualities, and kept us 5 points clear. If it goes down to 3 (or even 2) at the end of September, maybe City get confident and get their act together.
9. Getting Champions League on the final day, May 2017. Look at where we've gone since then, versus where Arsenal went. We were good that year, but getting CL football was absolutely huge...and we were fortunate to not have Lovren sent off. It was looking nervy with Arsenal leading in their game, and 0-0 at half would have been demoralizing, but Wijnaldum's goal on the stroke of halftime didn't just change the game, it changed our trajectory. Could argue that it was more important to get in from 17-18 because that was the year we qualified to get in for 18-19, but I think getting in the first time was more significant.
8. Lallana's equalizer vs. United, October 2019. We had to settle for a point, but on a day where we looked like losing for most of the game, we managed to keep our unbeaten run alive. And the deflation we gave the United fans — long used to celebrating late goals — was a bonus!
7. Son hitting the crossbar, October 2019. Spurs were hungry, they got lucky in the 1st minute, their backup keeper played a blinder...it all looked like one of those days. Then Son hit the bar in the opening minutes of the second half. If that goes it, it's almost certain that we don't win that game, let alone get a draw. The gap would have been cut from 6 points down to 3; instead, it stayed 6.
6. Milner's penalty at home to Leicester, October 2019. The significance was made even greater when, 24 hours later, City lost at home to Wolves. Following the latter result, I went "wow, 8 points in October"...I was used to City winning every game per last spring, so for them to be 8 points behind that early seemed significant. With Leicester being one of two teams to take points off us at Anfield — and threatening to do so again with Maddison scoring with their only shot on target in the 80th minute after we dominated the game — it looked like one of those days. As soon as Mane went down, though, I thought "penalty." Milner showed nerves of steel to convert it, and Klopp's animated reaction (even for himself!) told a lot.
5. Aston Villa away, November 2019. If we had lost, the gap would have been cut to 3 points, and City winning would have taken them top on goal difference. Instead, 8 days later, it was 9.
4. Alisson's save against Napoli, December 2018. If we get knocked out of the CL, we obviously don't win the CL!
3. City home, November 2019. Last year our results against them cost us, but we laid down a marker this year.
2. Barcelona 2019. See above.
1. Madrid 2019. See above.

EDIT (Honorable Mentions): Leicester away, December 2019 (not sliding doors, but a "marker" humiliating our title rivals on the road); United home, January 2020 (again, not really sliding doors, but it made us winning the League a foregone conclusion if it wasn't already); Brighton home May 2018 (big to get into the CL for the 2nd straight year, and for the first time in years while also being in Europe); City home, January 2018 (again, not sliding doors, but we were the first side to beat them, and, unlike United's lucky win against them that spring, we fully deserved it...they were running away with the League and we took the game to them and were deserved winners...that was the first time I went "wow, this team really could be something special"...didn't even know the half of it!).

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Can anyone explain to me, why are we having 5 substitutes next season? I understand why they did it this season due to the Pandemic break and fear of injuries and the summer months.
It’s to protect the players.
Late league start because of the pandemic and it has to end early because of the EUROs.

In Germany for example they had to cancel the winter break. If Bayern reaches the Cup final (like every year) and reach the CL quarter final they will have to play approx 52 games in 30 weeks or so. Not to mention the internationals.

Bundesliga is a 18 Teams league. PL has 20 Teams and two domestic cup competitions.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
It’s to protect the players.
Late league start because of the pandemic and it has to end early because of the EUROs.

In Germany for example they had to cancel the winter break. If Bayern reaches the Cup final (like every year) and reach the CL quarter final they will have to play approx 52 games in 30 weeks or so. Not to mention the internationals.

Bundesliga is a 18 Teams league. PL has 20 Teams and two domestic cup competitions.
Cheers, GermanRed, i understand now. Are the team going to get a mini holiday before the new season starts? Just wondering, because I worry about burnout and, season 20/21 is a very, very long season, plus very physical and we have the International friendlies as well.

Because there is barely a preseason, and that will risk injury.

I don’t like it though. I would prefer it if it were 3 subs plus 2 u-21s
Okay, oh yes, that would be interesting, I got it, thanks.

iftikhar

I just want the team to win the two remaining games. Last two games were weird, reminiscent of the days when we would drop from a seemingly authoritative position.

This team has done a lot. They have given me so much joy. I just want them to finish the season on a high.

Red over the water

It's a weird one. With the league won I wanted a record points total. With that gone, I still want 99 points... but on the other hand, I also hope to see a bit more of our youngsters, as they are quality and also have desire. I want the senior players to show the requisite desire, but if there's a slight lull in some, it's understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.