• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Welcome to Liverpool: Kostas Tsimikas

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Don't be fooled into thinking what the media know is the limit of whats happened. For a start the first bid was supposed to be nearly two weeks ago, then there is the rumours we've been watching him for 3 years and the fact we plan our moves 2 Windows in advance. I wouldn't be surprised if this signing has been 6 months in the making or even longer.
Surely the "two years in advance" thing is purely scouting? And id imagine it's scouting for all positions?

For example how would we know if we need to target a top-up type player for a position vs a youth player? What we need is very much reliant on which youth show something preseason, how our loanees are performing, whether we avoid any serious long term injuries, amongst a million other things. So much can change in 2 months. Let alone 2 years.

For example two years ago Robbo was signed wasn't he? I doubt we were getting into the nitty gritty of preparing for another LB at this early stage beyond searching for targets that would fit our system and style of play. Heck, with the way we operate in terms of contact negotiations, if Robbo had avoided signing a new deal in Jan19 that would send signals that he wants to run down his contact and might take us in a different direction in terms of who we target as a replacement. I don't even want to think about the other side where the target player is living his life and trying to impress for his current club without the distraction of being a target for Liverpool.

I can understand the last few months we may have had our sights set on Kostas but can't picture a situation where we were in serious business with him beyond pure scouting the last 2 years.

Danny_

Welcome to Liverpool. Hope you are as good as people say - to be honest, I have no clue. Just seen some you tube clips.

StevieG08

Welcome to Liverpool, Tsimikas! How much did he Kostas again? I hope you take us to even greater heights next season and beyond. I wish you much success.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Well it only took two years but we finally found a left footed player who can play on the left hand side of defence. Milner did a good job but we all know he hated playing LB and he'll be 35 in 5 months time. Very hard on Neco to expect him to fill in on the wrong side when he's still learning how to play on the right side so something had to be done. I just hope there's some money left for a CB because that's the other area that concerns me.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Hmmm.....I remember Charlton Athletic signing Allan Simonsen from Barcelona after he had just scored the winning goal in the European Cup Final. To everyone's total bemusement he announced he had always been a Charlton fan :LOL:
Liverpool isn't Charlton though. LFC has a big following in Greece, the best supported of all English clubs.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Surely the "two years in advance" thing is purely scouting? And id imagine it's scouting for all positions?

For example how would we know if we need to target a top-up type player for a position vs a youth player? What we need is very much reliant on which youth show something preseason, how our loanees are performing, whether we avoid any serious long term injuries, amongst a million other things. So much can change in 2 months. Let alone 2 years.

For example two years ago Robbo was signed wasn't he? I doubt we were getting into the nitty gritty of preparing for another LB at this early stage beyond searching for targets that would fit our system and style of play. Heck, with the way we operate in terms of contact negotiations, if Robbo had avoided signing a new deal in Jan19 that would send signals that he wants to run down his contact and might take us in a different direction in terms of who we target as a replacement. I don't even want to think about the other side where the target player is living his life and trying to impress for his current club without the distraction of being a target for Liverpool.

I can understand the last few months we may have had our sights set on Kostas but can't picture a situation where we were in serious business with him beyond pure scouting the last 2 years.
I'm not sure what you mean "purely for scouting"?

On youth we know players potential way way way before the relevant preseason we've got that scheme Pep used to run (still does?) where the best youth players interact with our senior side so we can get a feel on things.

On LB for instance last year the decision was probably made to give Larouci time to see if he could step up over the next two seasons making do with what we had (Milner, Gomez etc) whilst we were in that process whilst having a list of players who we knew we could approach and who the club would have a fair idea on cost and wages. As Larouci didn't step up and then showed he wants to move on the plan to "make do" till he's ready has been scrapped and one of those (for real) oven ready deals has been completed instead.

So we had a plan, we also had a back up plan to activate if that plan failed/had to change/got to the end without success. We were watching Tsimikas for 3 years and Lewis for at least 2.

And I'm not sure how the player would be distracted we are a very good club at keeping our work and plans under wraps.

rab

On LB for instance last year the decision was probably made to give Larouci time to see if he could step up over the next two seasons making do with what we had (Milner, Gomez etc) whilst we were in that process whilst having a list of players who we knew we could approach and who the club would have a fair idea on cost and wages. As Larouci didn't step up and then showed he wants to move on the plan to "make do" till he's ready has been scrapped and one of those (for real) oven ready deals has been completed instead.

So we had a plan, we also had a back up plan to activate if that plan failed/had to change/got to the end without success. We were watching Tsimikas for 3 years and Lewis for at least 2.
Although the actual plan would appear to have been to try and sign Lloyd Kelly last summer so whilst we might have ideas of areas of the pitch we might need to address in 2-3 years time, the plan is clearly flexible as stuff happens and you have to be ready to react.

Ultimately, we want one last summer but did without when the deal couldn't be done for the one we wanted. The Larouchi move and Adam Lewis injury meant we didn't have a developmental back up we felt comfortable with so it became of greater importance this summer than last. And clearly we didn't feel Tsimikas had done enough to prove himself to be worthy of consideration last summer, even if we had been aware of him for a year or two.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Although the actual plan would appear to have been to try and sign Lloyd Kelly last summer so whilst we might have ideas of areas of the pitch we might need to address in 2-3 years time, the plan is clearly flexible as stuff happens and you have to be ready to react.

Ultimately, we want one last summer but did without when the deal couldn't be done for the one we wanted. The Larouchi move and Adam Lewis injury meant we didn't have a developmental back up we felt comfortable with so it became of greater importance this summer than last. And clearly we didn't feel Tsimikas had done enough to prove himself to be worthy of consideration last summer, even if we had been aware of him for a year or two.
I'm convinced Lloyd Kelly would have been like Gomez here if he arrived. CB first and foremost LB emergency cover for more defensive option like Gomez is. And don't forget there was strong talk and links to Lovren leaving last year. Of course it has to be flexible though. We are quite a particular club about who we buy so not going to get who we want everytime and sometimes there wont be alternatives we are happy with. But Klopp is never afraid to cope with what he has.

Gazmaninaus

Well I wasn’t overwhelmed by the Robbo signing and look how that turned out. So good luck to this lad. It’s one area we really needed. Look how poor Robbo was when his ankle was crook. Poor bastard had to soldier on.

MinniMo

Delighted with this lad, and his interview came over with just the right amount of respect - with no fake fawning, something I hate to see in any newbie. His English is very good too, and his smile very infectious, love him already!

I love the way we have gone for the player very few of us will have ever heard of before, was the same with Minamino and Keita, and Robertson. We go under the radar and pick up the best prospects, and our best fit. Love the way we work - can't wait to see our next 'buys'.

rab

I'm convinced Lloyd Kelly would have been like Gomez here if he arrived. CB first and foremost LB emergency cover for more defensive option like Gomez is. And don't forget there was strong talk and links to Lovren leaving last year. Of course it has to be flexible though. We are quite a particular club about who we buy so not going to get who we want everytime and sometimes there wont be alternatives we are happy with. But Klopp is never afraid to cope with what he has.
I'm not sure we were looking for a fifth choice centre back when we only had one left back.

Magnus

I am excited. Will read up on this player, I don't know him really.