• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Wesley Sneijder (AM) Inter Milan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Liverpool make first move for Sneijder with £9.5m bid for United and Spurs target

Liverpool have reportedly offered £9.5million for out-of-favour Wesley Sneijder while Manchester United and Spurs remain on high alert.
The Inter Milan ace has been left feeling isolated at the San Siro after snubbing a suggested annual pay cut of £1.6m.

Liverpool are first out of the blocks, according to Gazzetta dello Sport's front page, while their Premier League rivals are confident little more than £11m will secure a deal.

The 28-year old was furious with the club's proposed salary cut and demanded a move, pressurising the Serie A outfit to sell him for virtually the same 15m euro fee they paid Real Madrid in 2009.

'Clearly it's best for everyone concerned that in January I am transferred,' he said defiantly.

'If that doesn't happen then I will stay. I have a contract with Inter until 2015.'

Manager Andrea Stramaccioni has since dropped Sneijder from the squad over the bitter dispute.

His wage bill is currently £200,000 per week and Inter will be relieved to offload the financial burden. Liverpool's coffers, however, are unlikely to be able to stretch to such levels.

Talk of a move to Tottenham Hotspur for the Holland international cooled when his agent told Dutch paper Algemeen Dagblad: 'There is nothing, absolutely nothing true about that.'

He has previously been tipped as Sir Alex Ferguson’s dream replacement for Paul Scholes but Inter’s inflated demands of £40m plus his phenomenal £10m-a-year wage was an immovable obstacle for Manchester United.

Source: http://www.dailymail...e-9-5m-bid.html

POBox

TIA Reserve Team
Current pay is £200,000 per week. How much are we gonna pay this fella?

KingLuis7

TIA Youth Team
Would be a superb, superb signing. His form has been off the boil recently but at the age of 28 he is still at the right age to bring it back.

It will never happen though, and for one main reason, his wages. He wouldn't take a pay cut at Inter, why would he take one to come to a club currently sitting mid table? To be honest, i'd be happy to pay him 150 k or so p/w, if Carragher retires we will net that much back in wages and will also be 100 k p/w to the good if Cole moves on.

I still can't see it happening, we are in a vicious cycle. We want to spend within our means, but also want to get back to the Champions League. I personally think you need to gamble and spend like a CL club to get back up there, but I don't see us taking this kind of punt.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
He WANTS to leave though so he may be willing to take somewhat of a pay cut. So, say we sign him up at 150K per week. That will come out to be around 8 Million a year. Plus, 11 Million transfer fees. So, a total of 19 million for someone like him is it really that bad?

Plus, hopefully we'll be getting rid of Cole and Downing and that should free up some of the wages as well.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Pay off Cole(3.5m) and if West Ham are paying 100% of Carroll's wages than surely we could afford him until the end of the season at least. The question then becomes what do we do in the summer? What would paying Sneijder do to our summer plans? Though if we managed to get rid of Carroll and Downing permanently plus Carragher's retirement, it might work.

He would be the perfect age to mentor Suso and give us more threat in the final third.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If he is unwilling to cut his wages at Inter, can't see why he would do it for us. I like the idea of him being offered by us, and I hope he would take up the offer for the sake of football. But I am skeptical he would do it.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Can't see him coming here.

1]We have no UCL and have no prospect of having it either in the near future.He will have offers from UCL clubs.
2]He is not a youngster anymore and this next contract will be his one last, big fat one.I don't see us offering 200 or even 150K, with all the talk of being careful with wages.

A better idea would be to go to Chelsea and try to get someone like Marin or Piazon on loan.Hopefully Rafa will do it for us.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Lets try to fleece an Italian club for once. Offer 9.5M for him, and ask Inter to subsidise half of Sneijders' current wages for the rest of the contract. We pay him 100K p/w, and Sneijder will be happy with his salary!

On a more serious note, I can see Sneijder agreeing on a lower salary with another club. Inter aren't exactly going places at the minute and I assume Sneijder wants playing time too sp as to get into the dutch national team.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Similar situation to Van De Vaart for me, at a similar age

More that than Joe Cole anyway as Schneider hasn't had the same kinds of serious injuries, there is still a very good player there

Think we will skimp but we are looking for a no 10 type or an attacking midfielder of pedigree, there aren't many better out there that we can obtain. It may be one of those situations where a hitherto unexpected potential opportunity arrives that is worth making a serious push for. People don't klow for sure what a player will ask for in terms of wages, level of football etc unless you speak to them, there are too many assumptions we are supposedly only now able or allowed to chase kids and rubbish and I sometimes wonder if our recruitment people almost believe that themselves. It's always possible that other sides may not be that serious in their interest, so if you say you are serious, you may obtain a quality player for quite reasonable terms. As Spurs have done on several occasions in the past, even when they were middle of the road. Klinsmann, Modric, Berbatov, VDV, Gascoigne etc etc

Thing is, it's kind of not what we do here so expect the window of opportunity to close quite fast with this one. But no harm in exploring the possibility. Sometimes they say yes ou know. We aren't some fucking Stoke type backwater for gods sake. This would be showing some ambition more worthy of LFC

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Would take this guy in a heartbeat. As woeful as the dutch were in the Euro's this guy's class was still apparent.

Would have thought however there would be better offers from clubs in better situations.

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
Current pay is £200,000 per week. How much are we gonna pay this fella?
How we pay him £200,000? That's Cole + Carroll or Cole + Downing.Remember, we've gotten rid of alot of high wages already in Maxi (80), Kuyt (60), Aquilani (70), Bellamy (70), Carroll (80), Adam (60), Spearing (30), Aurelio (50) and maybe Cole (90), Sahin return to Madrid since he's not playing (90), Doni (70???). There's money there.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Just put this in other thread belongs here really:

Just to play Devils advocate (I dont think we will get him and believe the rumours are BS) but nobody would need to pay Sneijders full wages.

You pay him what you are willing to pay he gets the rest as a one off payment.

Inter would keep most of the €10 million fee but maybe have to pay him a couple million out of it and the buying club would probably need to pay him a €5/6 million signing on fee to counter the drop in wages.

Is Sneijder worth around €16 million and 100k a week?

If yeah we or another club would happily do that.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Answer this here:

Wages and upfront pay is the same thing, you pay installment on a full price in a car for a month, or you pay partially and the rest as monthly installment, still comes up to the same amount mate. So what's the difference when you cut his salary while compensate him with one off payment? The books at the end of the year will still reflect those numbers you dished out.

I don't think he would take a wage cut from us, if he is not willing to take a wage cut from Inter. That's the bottom line.
Agree with you mate they are all basically costs to get the player but like with transfer fees signing on fees are a one off payment made in the year of transaction.

Sneijder being signed in such a way would increase the annual wage bill by 100k a week thats a fixed running cost that would need to be monitored to make sure it doesn't go above a certain percentage of income.

The signing on fee to him and transfer fee to Inter would need to be found from any surplus income the club has made.

Its all BS about him anyway so doesn't really matter butvthe original rumours had us paying Inter £8.1 million and even if you had to pay the player as much as £7.9 million I still think £16 million for Sneijder is a good deal.

Only a year older than Cazorla and thats Arsenal paid for him and Rodgers was using that as an example of a fantastic deal for an experienced player last week.

LiVeRp0oL89

How could you not want this player in your team, he'd be perfect for us and a massive coup. Cole out, Sneijder in? I'd say thats improvement.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
This is the sort of player who can play at gerrard and Suarez levels. I'd love him here. How much are his wages?! Hopefully we can negotiate the sort of deal that won't result in every other player in the club wanting to be on par with him in a year!
Stuff of dreams perhaps, but that is what silly season brings.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
The reason why he is not playing at Inter is because they have requested him to take a wage cut from £180,000 per week to £120,000 per week, because his performances over the last 18 months are not matching his massive wages ...

Red Armada

TIA Regular
He would have been a perfect addition but there's no way we would match his wage demands. Besides FSG aren't that willing for players above 23.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Joe Cole is on how much?Carroll is on how much?Downing is on?Sell them and get in Walcott and Sneider with the cash saved from their wages off the bill.If we do not sign these type of players we will stay mid table.You only get out what you put in FSG

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
two reasons why he wont sign for us:
1. gerrard top payed at club at 140k. Snidjer wants 160k+, not going to happen.
2. Prefers UCL.

I can see UTD signing him or even tottenham. Chelsea could also be interested if rumors about lampard are true.
I would love to see him in our team. But he is too expensive, disrupts our wage structure. I feel he can be a role model for suso and shelvey. 3-4 years on , one of them can replace him.
At 8 million i would have him but he has a lot of package. he would drain us nearly 8.5million annualy.

Joe Cole is on how much?Carroll is on how much?Downing is on?Sell them and get in Walcott and Sneider with the cash saved from their wages off the bill.If we do not sign these type of players we will stay mid table.You only get out what you put in FSG
cole carroll downing would free nearly 90+80+60=230k. Do any one know if doni still gets payed. add another 20-30k if he is here too.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
We always ending up subsidising the pay of players we want to get rid of, why couldn't Inter do the same here? We put Sneijder on Gerrard money (getting shut of Cole and Doni alone would nearly add up to that), and ask Inter to pony up £20-£30k p/w to make up the difference.

FSG are willing to sign older players if it's a bargain, there has to be value in the deal. Here, they'd be getting a £25m player for a third of his true value due to his current dispute with Inter, that has to appeal to them, surely?

I doubt it will happen as a host of CL clubs will beat a path to his door if Inter are willing to let a deal like this take place, but I think it would make a lot of sense for us to pursue it as fast as possible. You never know, Dirk may have been telling him how great the club is on international duty...

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
They can have Andy Carroll for Sneider lol
It is about time we ripped off a club as it always seems to be us that gets stung.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I am here stating if we get this fella, I would be happy. But to load a lot of money with upfront payment and keeping the wage structure low negates the purpose of having a low wage structure. Having a wage structure is to make sure we don't overspend and we manage our financials to be prudent. That is the sole purpose of it.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
I don't know. It would be silly not to go for this one. The only problem is if we bring him in at 200K a week (Which personally given his low transfer fee's isn't something we can't afford) then other players would want an increase as well.

I'm not really sure how much Suarez gets paid or even Gerrard or Lucas however, if we bring a player in at 200k then potentially other players of his caliber would want to match wages and then seeing 3-4 players getting a pay increase would result in other players asking for an increase as well.

I don't know but I think that could be a potential long term problem. However, ignoring this if we're paying say 20 Million for him in a year including his wages and transfer fee's it should be something we should go for. The wage bill will eventually clear up with a lot of players moving out however, he will add something valuable to the team which a lot of our recent buys have not been able to do.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
We don't really need an AM do we? If anyone should be playing as our regular AM it's Stevie. I don't want us to fritter cash away on positions that are already covered, even if it is Sneijder.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Answer this here:

Agree with you mate they are all basically costs to get the player but like with transfer fees signing on fees are a one off payment made in the year of transaction.

Sneijder being signed in such a way would increase the annual wage bill by 100k a week thats a fixed running cost that would need to be monitored to make sure it doesn't go above a certain percentage of income.

The signing on fee to him and transfer fee to Inter would need to be found from any surplus income the club has made.

Its all BS about him anyway so doesn't really matter butvthe original rumours had us paying Inter £8.1 million and even if you had to pay the player as much as £7.9 million I still think £16 million for Sneijder is a good deal.

Only a year older than Cazorla and thats Arsenal paid for him and Rodgers was using that as an example of a fantastic deal for an experienced player last week.
Surplus income? You mean club profit?

There is only one book the club accounts which shows or reflect what you may have spent on, be it transfer fees or wages for players. So how would that not reflect in the books when we pay a player upfront or paying them on a staggered basis as wages?

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Surplus income? You mean club profit?

There is only one book the club accounts which shows or reflect what you may have spent on, be it transfer fees or wages for players. So how would that not reflect in the books when we pay a player upfront or paying them on a staggered basis as wages?
It would reflect on the books either way but the point being made here is that overall, you'll be paying 16-18 Million in total including wages and transfer fee's and that for a player of his caliber is a very good deal. One which should not be missed.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I am here stating if we get this fella, I would be happy. But to load a lot of money with upfront payment and keeping the wage structure low negates the purpose of having a low wage structure. Having a wage structure is to make sure we don't overspend and we manage our financials to be prudent. That is the sole purpose of it.
Not quite the sole purpose.

Maintaining a rigid structure (promising youngsters get x range, squad players get x, established first teamers get x) is also about managing discontent within the squad.

The thing that causes wage bills to spiral out of control is not the individual player getting a fat wage - it's that his peers in the squad also want that's too.

If we were to pay 15m for Schneider, and sticking him on 100k few would say that was poor business - only he wouldn't accept it. Paying 10m for him and giving him 150k a week, might be acceptable to him but wouldn't work for the clubs wage structure.

But paying 10m, giving Schneider 100k a week, and making up the 5m wage shortfall in a signing on fee, might be acceptable to all parties.

The hit to the books in all scenarios would be very similar, and if you're shedding the non performing high earners at the same time, then it probably doesn't matter.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
It would reflect on the books either way but the point being made here is that overall, you'll be paying 16-18 Million in total including wages and transfer fee's and that for a player of his caliber is a very good deal. One which should not be missed.
Oh that I know, but that isn't exactly the point. The point being argued here is that we stay on our wage structure. To me it negates the point entirely to have a wage structure in this case. Might as well not have a wage structure to restrict the manager from signing players or improving key players contract later on.

See where I am coming from?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Not quite the sole purpose.

Maintaining a rigid structure (promising youngsters get x range, squad players get x, established first teamers get x) is also about managing discontent within the squad.

The thing that causes wage bills to spiral out of control is not the individual player getting a fat wage - it's that his peers in the squad also want that's too.

If we were to pay 15m for Schneider, and sticking him on 100k few would say that was poor business - only he wouldn't accept it. Paying 10m for him and giving him 150k a week, might be acceptable to him but wouldn't work for the clubs wage structure.

But paying 10m, giving Schneider 100k a week, and making up the 5m wage shortfall in a signing on fee, might be acceptable to all parties.

The hit to the books in all scenarios would be very similar, and if you're shedding the non performing high earners at the same time, then it probably doesn't matter.
In that case, wouldn't his peers want an upfront signing on fee when renewing contracts to stick with the wage structure? Disparity of wages will always be there in every industry, only when those who earns or given high wages not pulling their weight is where problem within an organisation occurs.

Nothing wrong with having a strict wage structure, as long as we have it for the right reason. Not for the reason of making us look prudent or restrict the manager from doing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.