• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Wesley Sneijder (AM) Inter Milan

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Arent both of them regarded as fringe players by the owners/ coaching staff?

*corballyred*

Moratti has said he is close to a move there.

On gala they are in the champions league top of their league offering more money owners showing more ambition. We are no longer as big a draw.

LiVeRp0oL89

Cant wait for the FSG bashing if/when he doesnt sign as if it was a given that he would want to come here. Weve tried for him, I believe that. Ive got no problems with the owners refusing to be mugs, even if we do miss out on Sneijder. The important thing is that were targeting this calibre of player. If we get coutinho, I'll still be delighted.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member

On gala they are in the champions league top of their league offering more money owners showing more ambition. We are no longer as big a draw.
disagree.we have a wage structure. And if we offering him at 120k, like the 2nd highest paid person and he doesnt take it, i wont blame fsg. Dont want to offer crazy money as it will set bad example. Suarez will ask 200k next, may be even sterling few years from time. Owners are clear , we wont pay above x for any dam player, and i stand by them for that. IF 120k a week is less for him, then he is fooking greedy cunt.

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team

Or in reality:"The Istanbul club would be able to match and even increase his current wages even with a lower salary offer due to the favourable tax rates for football players in Turkey.Footballers playing in the Turkish Super League pay just 15 percent in income tax.The income tax rate for footballers playing in the English premier league is 50 percent, and the figure drops to 45 percent in Germany, 43 percent in Spain and Italy, 40 percent in France, and 30 percent in the Netherlands. "

rupzzz

TIA Regular

It's hardly amazing football in Turkey though is it? It's on par with Scottish Football (pre Rangers drop down) - 2-3 clubs that challenge for the honours. One gets CL football. So yes, Galatasary are a CL club, but in all honesty they get 6 games a season as they don't make it beyond the group stage.

They also don't have the same quality football, nor do they have the joy of the FA Cup.

If Sneijder goes there to link up with players like an ex Bolton FC ageing striker over playing with the likes of Gerrard, Suarez and Sturridge I'll drive him down to the airport and wave him off.

He's after the money, not the kind of player we need. He's looking for a big contract to see out the rest of his time as a footballer. Wants to be the best player in the league to boost his ego.

I still hope he'll come here to prove me wrong on the above points.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I tend to agree with those who suggest we offer a sensible wage, we've been down the other route and it has meant paying off them, hindsight is a wonderful thing in relation to Aquilani and Cole. You start going silly which this is if we match galatasary though if Gala missed out on the champions league for 3 years could they or would they be flashing the cash

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
That's something I'll never get, the average pro footballer must make £10m a year....saving a quarter of that, £2.5m a year which will be earning mad interest, who needs that much fucking money!? Insanity...

The only good thing about this is we know we won't pay stupid wages just to land the player, i'm none plussed about this. If we get him, great we've got a bargain. If he goes to Gala then he's just another fucking leech and good riddance.
None of us know what these players do with their money. What percentage they give to good causes etc.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
He's after the money, not the kind of player we need. He's looking for a big contract to see out the rest of his time as a footballer. Wants to be the best player in the league to boost his ego.

I still hope he'll come here to prove me wrong on the above points.
It may not be about the money entirely, but rather poor management on his part. There was a report from a reliable Journo that Inter and Gala entered an agreement that no other team could negotiate this deal with Inter until Jan 15th or Inter would have to pay Gala 5mp. Afterwards it was rumored that a similar deal was struck between Gala and Sneijder's entourage, preventing him from negotiating until Feb 5th or having to pay a penalty.

If the last rumor, not sure where it originated from, is true then he left himself with only two real options - Stay with Inter until June, or go to Gala now.

Edit: Actually Spurs were probably a third option since they negotiated with the player early.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
It may not be about the money entirely, but rather poor management on his part. There was a report from a reliable Journo that Inter and Gala entered an agreement that no other team could negotiate this deal with Inter until Jan 15th or Inter would have to pay Gala 5mp. Afterwards it was rumored that a similar deal was struck between Gala and Sneijder's entourage, preventing him from negotiating until Feb 5th or having to pay a penalty.

If the last rumor, not sure where it originated from, is true then he left himself with only two real options - Stay with Inter until June, or go to Gala now.

If that's the case he needs to sack his advisor's ASAP. Hasn't Sneijder said all along that he wants PL football??

Maybe his advisor's/agents have agreed massive fees for themselves with Gala and slipped that clause in screwing Sneijder over.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
Cant wait for the FSG bashing if/when he doesnt sign as if it was a given that he would want to come here. Weve tried for him, I believe that. Ive got no problems with the owners refusing to be mugs, even if we do miss out on Sneijder. The important thing is that were targeting this calibre of player. If we get coutinho, I'll still be delighted.
No need to wait. Read the highly informed posts of corballyred above, if you want to amuse yourself.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
If we end up losing out on Sneijder then I guess Coutinho is our fall back option. Are Inter prepared to lose both attacking midfielders in mid-season? Surely our chances at getting Coutinho could drop if Sneijder leaves Inter? Or are Inter so hard for cash that they'd almost anyone?
It's an odd move if we do bring in Coutinho as he's very young (20 i think). All Brendan and the senior players have been banging on about the need to sign experienced players. Maybe we'll do an Assaidi and bring someone in without a single tweet or rumour.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
It's an odd move if we do bring in Coutinho as he's very young (20 i think). All Brendan and the senior players have been banging on about the need to sign experienced players. Maybe we'll do an Assaidi and bring someone in without a single tweet or rumour.
I hope it's a proven player. We are turning into arsenal without ucl and the big fat stadium.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I'm satisfied that we have tried for him and put in a reasonable offer, i think most fans will/ should be.

kwala

TIA Regular
Not sure if I am happy or not!! Would have liked him to join us, but if he had any football ambition left, surely he wouldn't be looking to move to a league outside of Italy, Spain, Germany or England.

Lets just see if the Twitterazzi have this correct.

Brock34

TIA Squad Member
Not sure if I am happy or not!! Would have liked him to join us, but if he had any football ambition left, surely he wouldn't be looking to move to a league outside of Italy, Spain, Germany or England.

Lets just see if the Twitterazzi have this correct.
I'm disappointed. The idealist in me got excited picturing him playing at his best with Gerrard and Suarez. But, we were never going to offer the money that he wanted, and I'm glad we didn't. I hope we were truly in for him, and we offered him a performance based contract to prove he wanted to win. If he turned that down, then fine.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I'm satisfied that we have tried for him and put in a reasonable offer, i think most fans will/ should be.
We don't know for a fact if we have actually gone in for him, and made a genuine offer. We also don't know what wages we offered to him if we made contact, and how it compares to the other offers he had on the table.

Bottom line is: we lost out on a player who would have made a significant difference for us, right from the word go, and for several years to come. He was probably available for one of the big PL clubs wanting him strongly enough, and ready to pay good money for him. Remember, you get what you pay for. For whatever reason, we didn't want him strongly enough. So, as a fan, I really don't know why I should be satisfied tonight.

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
time to lock this one.

as I said, gutted on one hand, may have dodged a bullet "wage-wise" on the other hand. not sure about Couthino though...can't see how Inter would let two playmakers go at the same time. better wait for next summer, I'm quite satisfied with the numbers we have, plus it's not as if we were craving for a CM are we ?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Oh well, we move on.

Let the doom and gloom begin from the FSG haters

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
Funny quotes about Sneijder joining Gala:
"Wesley Sneijder playing alongside Johan Elmander, how the mighty have fallen."

"Sneijder: "I only came for Eboue. It will be a pleasure to play alongside and learn from a living legend. He will improve my game and life.""

Oh well, let's get Coutinho. I'm thinking he'll contribute more from now to the end of his career than Sneijder will.

Status
Not open for further replies.