• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

What was your best footballing decade ?

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
At the risk of starting a nostalgia wank festival that will go over the head of our younger readers, I am asking for you nomination for the best football decade you’ve experienced to date. Not just becuase Lfc won stuff but for the players, the game, and your general experience of football.

For me it was the early 1980s. I was old enough to start going on my own, tickets were still cheap, standing was common at every ground and the Kop was like some spiritual place during I’d only ever dreamt about. Liverpool had some great players that were like icons to me and football was still the sole preserve of the working class. Obviously the tragedies of Hillsborough and Heysel happened in this decade but that period from 1980 up to 15th April 1989 was the golden age as far as I was concerned. Dont think I ever felt the same way again.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
1974 - 1983, the Bob Paisley era takes some beating for me, and yes, it's because we were so dominant and won so much silverware. Didn't Shanks say finishing second was nowhere, so condemn me for being greedy, but it was a fantastically brilliant time to be a LFC Red.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
1974 - 1983, the Bob Paisley era takes some beating for me, and yes, it's because we were so dominant and won so much silverware. Didn't Shanks say finishing second was nowhere, so condemn me for being greedy, but it was a fantastically brilliant time to be a LFC Red.
I started following football (and supporting Liverpool) in 1978, so I’d say the decade from 1978 to 1988 works for me.

Not only due to the success of the Tricky Reds but also the fantastic World Cups of 1982 and 1986; the era of Maradona and proper defenders like Andoni Goikoetxea (the Butcher of Bilbao), amongst others; that fabled Dutch side of Euro 88.

What memories!

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
For me it was probably the 90s. This was the decade where I grew into a man. When I was 15/16 I scored from inside my own half with my old man watching (he rarely got to see me play), two years before Beckham decided to copy me. I also scored direct from a corner a few times, was pretty good at indoor football, got to watch my cousin destroy the Dutch schoolboy team at the old Wembley and then watch him go on to play in the premier league, including getting the better of the aforementioned Beckham. Scored some nice free-kicks...was healthy, no back issues. Yeah, good decade.

Also the last decade in which we won the league.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I remember the 80s, was a great time. But given this place, Klopp, the best strike trio in the world, a keeper sent from heaven, fullbacks that give staggering performances and still have higher ceilings, VVD and the power of Ribena, right now.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
10's were largely crap up until Klopp arrived. Took our current owners a good few years to put the right pieces together. So has to be 00's, which was the start for me. Even under Houllier, we never really got close enough in the league, but there were some fantastic memories in various cup competitions, dometic and Europe. Plus, Rafa bringing us back to competitive mode, winning a few as well. This thread will be for older generations anyway, more options to choose from!

:)

William Clarke

Sounds like an advertising campaign against sexually transmitted diseases.
I think @Jimmyscase would totally agree with you over the Ribens, he having told us in another thread how he was near strung up for criticising the drink.

@ptt are you talking of bottles of Ribena or a fruity footballer?

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The seventies. I started following us in 72, the same season that we won the league with the last great side that Shanks put together. It was the decade that we started to dominate in Europe. Two UEFA Cups and then won the European Cup for the first time and retained it the following season. My favourite FA Cup win in 74. Shanks orchestrating from the touchline as we beat Newcastle 3-0.

It was the decade of Keegan and Toshack, St Etienne and the arrival of Dalglish. The last truly great decade of the standing Kop. It was the decade when my Liverpool obsession began, when I realised how great it was to feel part of something so big and brilliant. It feels very much like that again now.

William Clarke

The seventies. I started following us in 72, the same season that we won the league with the last great side that Shanks put together. It was the decade that we started to dominate in Europe. Two UEFA Cups and then won the European Cup for the first time and retained it the following season. My favourite FA Cup win in 74. Shanks orchestrating from the touchline as we beat Newcastle 3-0.

It was the decade of Keegan and Toshack, St Etienne and the arrival of Dalglish. The last truly great decade of the standing Kop. It was the decade when my Liverpool obsession began, when I realised how great it was to feel part of something so big and brilliant. It feels very much like that again now.
It's good your reminding us of that Cup Final game against a Newcastle side who boasted they were going to take us to the cleaners. It was a game in which we totally dominated, to the point where Tommy Smith showed us how skilful he could be. It wasn't long after that when we bought Terry Mac from the Magpies.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
It's good your reminding us of that Cup Final game against a Newcastle side who boasted they were going to take us to the cleaners. It was a game in which we totally dominated, to the point where Tommy Smith showed us how skilful he could be. It wasn't long after that when we bought Terry Mac from the Magpies.
That third goal. 'And Newcastle were undressed. They were absolutely stripped naked!'

jaffod

74 to 84. We won the fucking lot. It was more than that though. It was the fashion, it was the music, it was the prevailing economic climate and all the other shit that was going around - drugs, unemployment, AIDs, Thatcher, threat of nuclear war, football hooliganism - so much crap to put up with as a young man growing up and yet the Reds were sweeping all before them and we were all caught up in the fucking brilliance of it all. The best of times and the worst of times....

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Now!

Never enjoyed being a red more than now, since Kloppo came it's been a brilliant ride. I've been fanatical about LFC since 1981 and right now is the most enjoyable to me. there has to be more to come aswell, we are developing and maturing like a fine red wine right now, I am so excited to see our potential as a side being fulfilled. Our players, our style of play, our great owners, our players are fabulous, we are European champions and of course, we have Jurgen Klopp!

What a fantastic man to have as our leader, he is special and we are so blessed he is ours.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I started following football (and supporting Liverpool) in 1978, so I’d say the decade from 1978 to 1988 works for me.

Not only due to the success of the Tricky Reds but also the fantastic World Cups of 1982 and 1986; the era of Maradona and proper defenders like Andoni Goikoetxea (the Butcher of Bilbao), amongst others; that fabled Dutch side of Euro 88.

What memories!
Everything about this post is me

My earliest Liverpool memories are from 78 and I was so football mad that the '82 and '86 world cups were unreal. The Brazil teams of those 2 competitions were just pure attack football. Zico is still my favourite non Liverpool player ever though did have a soft spot for hoddle but that dick burnt the bridges with how he moaned on and on on BT sports for the champ lge final.
European cup wins , 4 league cup wins in a row , fa cups wins , endless league titles, just so many wonderful memories

redaderry

The 80s was by far my most enjoyable football decade. Liverpool were ripping the place apart winning 6 league titles, a couple of FA cups and 4 league cups, as well as a couple of european big ears. It just seemed that we could steamroll any team anywhere, and all in the decade that i discovered beer (but that's for another current thread)!! That was the era of some of my all time favourites like Hansen Beardsley and early in the decade, big Souey.
My home team Derry city came out of the widerness and stormed the League of Ireland becoming (still) the only Irish team to win a domestic treble in the Republic of Ireland at the end of the decade. We travelled the country in our hundreds, sometimes thousands following the candystripes and drinking the local bars dry in the process on occasion (literally!!).
Ireland accquired the services of Big Jack Charlton in 86 and the boys in green had a right run, in some cases thanks to their grannies. We beat England in Stuttgart thanks to a goal from our very own Ray Houghton at the time. We qualified for the 1990 world cup and went on to the quarters after beating Romania in the Luigi Ferraris stadium in Genoa. I was drunk there too!!

StEtiennesLeftBoot

Nearly back on our perch....
All of them...it's the reds.... But the 7.0 drubbing of Spurs in 78, St Etienne (obviously) in 77... Hmm looking suspiciously like a perm, and bell bottoms morphing into drainpipe jeans and other crimes against fashion.... Stevie Heighway on the wing...it doesn't get much better than that....
(well, marginally Istanbul and a recent semi final....) So my time machine says 70's, 80's, 00's, and now.... But it's all a bit like chosing the favourite Dr Who....it can change with time.... It's all bloody great... the ups and the downs make the pinnacles of success even better... Pass and move everyone.... :well done:

1990s

The days when I'd listen to the radio for matches and BBC sportsworld for commentary

Nowadays it's too easy to follow football and everything is spoonfed

Football was exciting and rivalries were more meaningful, exciting matches instead of dull 0-0 draws you often see teams playing for on "Super Sunday"

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I became a fan in the late 70’s/ early 80’s but didn’t make my first game till the 90s.

I suppose 90s were good for me, I got to see our team quite a bit.... not much in the 00’s....

But then been going loads the last few years again.... and it’s just incredible where we are now - against the wealth of city, united and Chelsea.... and PSG, Barca, real - all in much better financial positions than us... but we are the team they fear the most.

Our new stand, anfield reinvigorated (the area), the new training ground to open soon and talk of expanding Annie Rd... we could be set for the next 10/20 years. Something I didn’t think we would ever get to.

So the time is now.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We talking about playing or we talking about experience with Liverpool FC? Latter - 80s, how I got sucked into the club just to spite my late father, if former, not try to big myself up or anything... scored a goal with a sublime turn, hooked the ball with my outside right foot, sliced it so slightly that took it away from the Newcastle defender. The ball went to the right of the defender while I turn past his left, went behind the defender took the ball with my right with a slight touch, and slotted it in with my right towards the bottom right of the goal. Yeah that's me! :celebrating: :celebrating:

Last edited:

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Post title is a big ambiguous. This is a double edged sword.

90's I was a little beast of a player who could play two full matches in a day. Played U17/U19 at the best available level in the area but didn't have the brain for the big picture. Wasted my talent, pissed it away but kept playing into my early 40's until the mileage caught up to me

Now that I have the brain for the game and the body is worn out, spent last two seasons on the sidelines for 15 of 22 games and hung up the boots. Got invited to play Nations Cup again, but I just can't bring myself to limp for the rest if the summer for the the achilles starts to nag again.

For LFC, had to be the 80s when I started being able to watch them. Soccer Saturdays with Graham Leggatt hosting at 5am and having to have the volume almost off so my parents didn't wake

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
We talking about playing or we talking about experience with Liverpool FC? Latter - 80s, how I got sucked into the club just to spite my late father, if former, not try to big myself up or anything... scored a goal with a sublime turn, hooked the ball with my outside right foot, sliced it so slightly that took it away from the Newcastle defender. The ball went to the right of the defender while I turn past his left, went behind the defender took the ball with my right with a slight touch, and slotted it in with my right towards the bottom right of the goal. Yeah that's me! :celebrating: :celebrating:
I scored a cracker of a goal in the mid 80s with Waterford utd scouts at the game. Ball had cannoned back off the bar up into the air and I hit it full on the volley with 3 of the opposition around. Got so much spin that the ball went up and down with so much power and hit the back of the net

Just a shame I was a goal keeper and it was an og

gippo77

Seventies for me, despite how fantastic other Liverpool teams have been, Dalglish, Clemence, Neal, Hansen, Souness & Co were my idols.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I'm with scouseheadross on that one. The past is past. We tend to remember the great moments, and to put aside the not so great ones. For LFC, the late seventies and early eighties was the biggest time without a doubt, with so many trophies taken on board. But it was also the time of the Gentiles, armies of assassins who wouldn't hesitate to finish off talented players' careers. Van Basten paid the price, among many many others.

The rhythm of the game was slow and often dull, teams were playing for the one winning goal. Catenaccio was still very high on the priority list of many managers. In England, long balls forward on a big striker's head were galore. Tactically, it was often dull to watch. Many back-passes to the goalie, safety first etc.

Compare this with the football we are privileged enough to watch with Klopp at the helm. My best time is now, right now. I'm very much looking forward to the new season!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I'm with scouseheadross on that one. The past is past. We tend to remember the great moments, and to put aside the not so great ones. For LFC, the late seventies and early eighties was the biggest time without a doubt, with so many trophies taken on board. But it was also the time of the Gentiles, armies of assassins who wouldn't hesitate to finish off talented players' careers. Vann Basten paid the price, among many many others.

The rhythm of the game was slow and often dull, teams were playing for the one winning goal. Catenaccio was still very high on the priority list of many managers. In England, long balls forward on a big striker's head were galore. Tactically, it was often dull to watch. Many back-passes to the goalie, safety first etc.

Compare this with the football we are privileged enough to watch with Klopp at the helm. My best time is now, right now. I'm very much looking forward to the new season!
I’m with you on this. I remember football before the backpass rule. Many teams - and Liverpool weren’t above this - would go one nil up and then kill the game passing back to the keeper, who’d then roll it to a defender, who’d pass it back and so on.

When Denmark won the Euro’s using this strangulation tactic, sonething had to change.