• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

What was your best footballing decade ?

RedForever2014

Pass back rule or not, cynical fouls acknowledged, some wonderful football was played in the 70s, not just by us.

The 80s is my favourite decade, not just because it's when I started to go to matches.

In terms of LFC, two European Cups, more league titles than not, our first League Cup (then several in short succession), a couple of FA Cups, the double. Only the European ban of the late 80s spoiled things.

Rush and Dalglish followed by Beardsley, Barnes and Aldridge. Dominant midfields, classy ruthless defences.

The 5-0 drubbing of Forrest at Anfield in the late 80s was a complete performance. One of the best I've witnessed.

Beyond LFC, the 80s was the decade of two great world cups, Maradona in his prime. Superb Dutch sides, France too. What a player Platini was.

Oh and it was the decade when Man United endured their on-going league title pain, so that surely has to come into the reckoning.

scouseheadross

Septical
The pass back rule changed in 92 apparently, which is later than I thought.

Not disagreeing about the quality of football before then, back in the 80s. I wouldn't have fallen in love with the game otherwise. Rush, Barnes, Beardsley or later Mcmanaman and Fowler were great to watch. Molby was like a magician and a class apart for me but we wouldn't see his like in the modern game.

Football has really evolved into a different beast these days. Players are much more technical and supreme athletes, not drinking pints before matches. The league is even more competitive now with a proper top6. As a team game it has evolved tactically too - uberpress and heavy metal attack leaves Dutch total football or tica taca in the shade. It would be a great game but I think our current crop would demolish some of those great sides of the past. Makes you wonder where it goes next though......

Limiescouse

The early 90s was a great time to be a football fan in the UK. The return of live football on a Sunday afternoon. The advent of the saturday round up of goals during half time. Sky taking what ITV did and running with it and doing it even better. The return of Match of the day on Saturday. To get all this when previously you were stuck having to listen to the radio or watching teletext, it was an amazing development. The problem is it was a period that coincided with our downturn. Of course, that is tempered a lot by the fact that we didnt actually realize it at the time.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Just football wise, my favourite decade was the 90s.

Still young enough to have footballing heroes, but old enough to have a real understanding of the game.

Italia 90, Euro 96, France 98 were really good tournaments and my favourite was USA 94. Maybe because England hadn't made it I was watching for the love of the game not out of some misplaced loyalty to the national team.

The premiership wasn't yet fully dictated by Sky and the footballing oligarchy that have bought success. The game still felt accessible to all, transfers and wages didn't seem as ridiculous. The whole thing just seemed a lot less cynical. There was just the right balance between the clogging hard men of the 80s and the skilfull but preening softies of the 2000s. It just felt like it had everything.

In terms of Liverpool, then probably the 2000s. Nothing beats winning, and the success of Houliier and Rafa provided me with memories I will never forget.

Hopefully Klopp signs up for the next decade and by the end of it when the question is asked again it will be answered unanimously as the 2020s.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
80s - LFC won everything in sight but apart from that players were loyal and it wasnt all about money.
As much as Sky "saved" football its also ruined it.

igor_piss_can

Born in September 1993 there's only two I can chose from. On paper & in terms of Trophies won the 00's is a fair stretch ahead of the current decade but going off the replies on here the question has as much to do with your personal circumstances as it does the football.

01/02 was the first season I properly started to get into Liverpool & it was incredible, 5 trophies in the space on 12 months was an unbelievable baptism but being only 7 at the time I wasn't fully aware of what was actually happening. I thought this was just what Liverpool do, completely unaware we hadn't won a pot for about half a decade.

Comparing that to 13/14, we won absolutely nothing but it felt like I lived every second of it. I lost my job around early March of that season (apprenticeship, didn't get kept on) so was on the dole for the title run in & looking back, I'm fucking made up I was. Luckily was living at home so didn't have to worry about rent & it seemed like we had about 6 or 7 Sunday games on the bounce during March / April / May which meant a piss up after every game with no worrying about getting up for work the next day. BOSS nights had just started off too, I think they were called 'BOSS Sessions' originally and took place in the day straight after the game in a much smaller venue. Obviously a shame about the ending to the season but I had some great nights regardless.

If I had to chose I think I'd say the 00s pips it & I think the decider would be the 2005 Chelsea semi final. Was lucky enough to go with my da & haven't experienced an atmosphere like it since (Chelsea 07, City 2018 etc all included). That night was something else, was way too young for St Etienne but from speaking to reds who attended both that is the only game that would be in the same bracket. Just feel incredibly lucky to be one of the 40 odd thousand people who saw, heard & felt it

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
The pass back rule changed in 92 apparently, which is later than I thought.

Not disagreeing about the quality of football before then, back in the 80s. I wouldn't have fallen in love with the game otherwise. Rush, Barnes, Beardsley or later Mcmanaman and Fowler were great to watch. Molby was like a magician and a class apart for me but we wouldn't see his like in the modern game.

Football has really evolved into a different beast these days. Players are much more technical and supreme athletes, not drinking pints before matches. The league is even more competitive now with a proper top6. As a team game it has evolved tactically too - uberpress and heavy metal attack leaves Dutch total football or tica taca in the shade. It would be a great game but I think our current crop would demolish some of those great sides of the past. Makes you wonder where it goes next though......
Met molby having a piss at Anfield. Top bloke, really nice guy.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I think up until SKY came along.
Then everything changed. I couldn’t afford to go as regularly as I did, my grandad stopped going all together. The prices just kept going up.
And even the live matches on tv became few and far between. You then had to pay a small fortune to get SKY which I wasn’t willing to do.
I drove past my local non league stadium the other day, when I used to pop in in the late 80s it was 50p for kids and £4 for adults. Now it’s £18 for adults and £8 for kids which is disgusting.
I remember there was a little club near where we lived and after each game some of the Coventry/Birmingham/Villa players and away team would pop in and mingle with the locals. I got a picture of me once with Barnes and Ogrizovic.
Now all we get is the yearly trip the players take to the hospital to see ill kids and the quick autograph as they fly by.
So for me, since 93 it’s been shit. Mostly resort to downloading streams these days but the bond me and my grandad had I won’t be passing on. I’ll find some other hobby to make memories with.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ the big dog's doodahs
I think up until SKY came along.
Then everything changed. I couldn’t afford to go as regularly as I did, my grandad stopped going all together. The prices just kept going up.
And even the live matches on tv became few and far between. You then had to pay a small fortune to get SKY which I wasn’t willing to do.
I drove past my local non league stadium the other day, when I used to pop in in the late 80s it was 50p for kids and £4 for adults. Now it’s £18 for adults and £8 for kids which is disgusting.
I remember there was a little club near where we lived and after each game some of the Coventry/Birmingham/Villa players and away team would pop in and mingle with the locals. I got a picture of me once with Barnes and Ogrizovic.
Now all we get is the yearly trip the players take to the hospital to see ill kids and the quick autograph as they fly by.
So for me, since 93 it’s been shit. Mostly resort to downloading streams these days but the bond me and my grandad had I won’t be passing on. I’ll find some other hobby to make memories with.
Yeah, people same the game has come on leaps and bounds, but a lot has been lost. It’s no more a working class game and it’s harder to follow clubs these days.