What would you class as a success?

Macolfc

A lot of opinions going round in the post match wolves chat regarding if we should of fielded a better squad & tried to get a cup run going.

So my question is, what would we class as a success this season? Obvious choice is going on to win the league, but if somehow we finish 2nd & don’t win the CL then surely it’s another write off? What would the positives be?

Macolfc

So if we end up without silverware, the brilliant journey, the days out, the laughs, the celebrations and the sheer joy of watching your football team bring great at football would be worth nothing?
Certainly wouldn’t be worth nothing, but let’s be honest the days out, the laughs & the celebrations come every year. I’ve only been on the losing side of a Wembley cup final, I’d certainly remember going to see Liverpool win a trophy more than I would say going to see us beat Brighton 3-0.

Kopstar

★★★★★
At the beginning of the season I felt we needed to win a trophy this year for it to be a success. I still feel that so given that we are out of 2 out of 4 competitions at the earliest point of asking that does mean we need to win the PL or the CL now. Particularly as we've got a head start in the former and no other distractions for the latter.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
So if we end up without silverware, the brilliant journey, the days out, the laughs, the celebrations and the sheer joy of watching your football team bring great at football would be worth nothing?
Isn't that the difference between a season one can enjoy, and genuine success? That 13/14 season had some brilliant moments that I will always remember fondly, but hard to think of it as successful in the end.

Last edited:

Rooster

What a hit son
To be a success from here we have to win the league or CL. Otherwise it’s a clusterfuck.

Was slightly more forgiving at the start of the year as I would have settled for one of the domestic cups, top 4 and deep CL run.

Not anymore, now it’s a failure if we don’t win the league.

Rambler

"First is first, second is nowhere". Bill Shankly.
Top clubs win trophies. I want to get the monkey off our back and stop the "Loserpool" taunts from the fans of the successful clubs.

No point being all Billy Big Bollocks when deriding the likes of Burnley and Brighton like some like to do on here....if we never actually win anything ourselves.

Rambler

"First is first, second is nowhere". Bill Shankly.
How do you think Shanks, Bob, Joe and Kenny would reply to this?

After all it was Shanks who said "First is first and second is nowhere".

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
At the beginning of the season I felt we needed to win a trophy this year for it to be a success. I still feel that so given that we are out of 2 out of 4 competitions at the earliest point of asking that does mean we need to win the PL or the CL now. Particularly as we've got a head start in the former and no other distractions for the latter.
My view as well. If we're talking about the season being a success, then given the position we're in I feel that means the league title. Up until now I've been satisfied with progress every season, but we're at the point where any further progression involves winning silverware.

That's not to say I will rate this season as an utter failure if the above fails to transpire, it's just that I won't be able to view it as a successful one.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Isn't that the difference between a season one can enjoy, and genuine success? That 13/14 season had some brilliant moments that I will always remember fondly, but hard to think of it as successful in the end.
Yes, this is supposed to be about fun.

There is a difference between it being disappointing not to win the league, and saying the whole endeavour was a waste of time if we don’t.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
To be genuinely successful, the club needs to win trophies, that is clear. However, the context is always important to consider. As it is, we have no right to win either the league title, or the champions league. In comparison to the perennial contenders, we are still a leightweight in terms of financial power, in terms of experience and in terms of squad depth. We can at the very most be considered as dangerous outsiders for both of these competitions, but never as favourites.

In the league, Klopp and his lads have built themselves a magnificent platform to be in the race for the league title until the end, which is really quite unexpected, at least for me it is! Let's not forget that we have the most powerful and competitive team as a direct rival, probably since the premier league was created. The squad there has been built with almost a billion pounds. Let that sink in a second... Then, there is another very well-run and competitive club competing as another outsider, another oligarch-fuelled club who can spend what it wants on players, and a for the moment sleeping giant in the wings, only waiting to come alive again (seems to do quite well under Solskjaer for the time being).

To be where we are now with such a competition to face is superb, we couldn't expect anything more. But can we expect our lads to go all the way? No. We can only cross fingers and hope for the best. Same for the CL: we can hope that we can go deep into it again, but we have no right to expect it.

Also, it's always the perspective for the future which sheds light on the current performances. Are we progressing or not? So, in that light, I'd consider the season as a success if our lads can maintain their level of solidity in defence, if we can build on our performances until now (apart from the Wolves defeat of course, which isn't really counting for much, given the multiple changes in the starting line-up) and continue to improve the fluidity in our game and bring our forwards into play more and more. If they can do that, it will of course enhance our chances of a trophy, but if it isn't to be, and we finish second, then it will be due to having to contend with a monster of a club, a monster of a manager and a monster of a squad. There will be no shame to finish second, and it will be a good platform for the lads to improve still further during next season. It will mean progress, and thus success.

Going to the quarter-finals in the champions league by beating Bayern would be fantastic, and would again create a great platform to go even further. But nothing of this can be realistically expected. It can only be hoped for.

RedForever2014

In a season when the club apparently did everything it wanted to in the transfer market, City are going for all four so spreading themselves about, several competitors are in transition and Spurs main man took ages to get going after the summer, if we don’t win the league now we never will.

You can enjoy following the reds regardless, but a club of our size should be winning trophies and not doing so is a failure.

Everyone else our size wins trophies.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Success is winning trophies but I admit that, due to rebuilding process going on at the club, previous two seasons were the first ones where I wanted Liverpool to finish fourth and qualify for CL instead of winning, say, FA Cup. That said, finishing above the likes of Tottenham and Man United would have consisted a successful season for me but since Liverpool are topping the league at this moment and have better squad than in 2008/09 and 2013/14, the only way for this season to be considered a success in my eyes is winning the league or Champions League. It is unfair, I know, especially when you look at the side Guardiola has assembled, one that can easily win all four competitions this season, but that's the only hurdle Klopp needs to clear, even though it's not his fault that Liverpool won only one trophy in last twelve seasons.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Currently sitting 4 points at top of the league - I wouldn’t accept 2nd place - so winning the league is my expectation - especially as we are now out of 2 cups.

But I also feel we could have a good champions league run too - and anything can happen once we get into quarter final stage.

I seriously feel this is the best chance of winning the league since sky invented football.

Even better than the Suarez season (as I always felt we were 2nd best).

This season, this team feels stronger.

GermanRed

Just 4 points ahead of the holders who have a better squad and a manager who is probably the best in the world with still 17 games to go. We're not known for doing thing the easy way - means not beating BHA at the weekend for example would be 'typical Liverpool'. It's also not like we were convincing in many games of this season. Seriously i think 'expecting the title' at the moment is delusional. Maybe we should wait if City drops points in the next few weeks or until there are 10 games left.

CL - all is possible but there are still too many teams in it. Maybe we should wait until the draw for the next round - if we are able to beat Bayern.

CL qualification is always a success because six teams are fighting for it every year and we know what it means if we're not in it - we've been there. So it looks good on that front at the moment.

Kazemagicsg

Epl since we have not won for 29 years

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Finish the season with nothing, and despite the fantastic run of results so far, this season will be no more fondly remembered than 2013/2014.

Bottom line..........failures.
To be honest, we have not yet this season seen that one match that stands out as ecstatic wins, where in 13/14 I would put the December Spurs match at the top of the heap, but also with the Arsenal and Everton matches at Anfield.

We will always have Blue Crimbo though.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Finish the season with nothing, and despite the fantastic run of results so far, this season will be no more fondly remembered than 2013/2014.

Bottom line..........failures.
Depends on your own psychology I think. I really enjoyed 2013/2014 as you’ll remember. I’ll always remember thrashing teams with garrulous abandon.

As for this season. If we were currently 4 points behind City and it finished that way and we won nothing, I really wouldn’t be disappinted. City are fabulous and if they broke 100 points but we were right behind them, then we’d have done all that we could, no disgrace and no disappointment.

However it’s now absolutely in our hands, not winning the league from here would be utterly heart breaking. I’ll take a 50-0 embarrasing thrashing at the hands of Bayern in the next round for going to the last match of the season only needing a draw.

We’re so close and Christmas has made it ours to lose. Success is getting that PL trophy, by comparison winning the CL would be an almost irrelevent sideshow such is the magnitude of our opportunity.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Enjoying football bs successful season is a very different thing. One can enjoy a game or a season of football without the club being successful. I can’t understand how this can be construed as exclusive. The narrative of football is a different game should be reserved for an also ran club.... if we are that then so be it. But I would certainly like for us to be successful - winning tangible things and that is silverwares.

RedForever2014

Just 4 points ahead of the holders who have a better squad and a manager who is probably the best in the world with still 17 games to go. We're not known for doing thing the easy way - means not beating BHA at the weekend for example would be 'typical Liverpool'. It's also not like we were convincing in many games of this season. Seriously i think 'expecting the title' at the moment is delusional. Maybe we should wait if City drops points in the next few weeks or until there are 10 games left.

CL - all is possible but there are still too many teams in it. Maybe we should wait until the draw for the next round - if we are able to beat Bayern.

CL qualification is always a success because six teams are fighting for it every year and we know what it means if we're not in it - we've been there. So it looks good on that front at the moment.
If they have the better squad and the money is there for us to strengthen, why aren't we doing so to make our squad more comparable?

The players are out there, they'd come to us in this position, the issues in the squad are obvious. Why aren't we doing something?