Where’s your famous atmosphere ? ( because I miss it)

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
These threads never end well, with people getting upset over perceived criticisms of them.

What I will say is the ground hasn't been particularly nervous at any game I've been to this season and I haven't noticed the opposition goalkeepers not getting clapped.

A lot of people who have had season tickets for years but never went have reclaimed them for this season now that we're good again. That might be a factor.

Otherwise, it's not worth bothering about. The discussion has been going on for years and the one major factor involved in improving our atmosphere has been Jurgen Klopp. To improve the atmosphere we need safe standing, be able to drink in the stands and like minded people need to be sat together rather than spread out across the stadium. Nothing else will make much of a difference at this point.
I think these are all sensible suggestions but unlikely to be ever implemented. It’s interesting to note that there is a small but growing tendency in Essex for groups of lads to get cheap flights out of Stansted Airport on a Saturday morning and go and watch German league games. Cheap tickets, standing, you can drink beer on the terraces and there is a much better atmosphere than you get at Wet Ham. We kid ourselves that our stadiums are the best in the world but the actual experience of going to games is often much better abroad.

epsomred

Ad-free Member
Sure, my post was possibly OTT, and my apologies for that, but I just wanted to give my opinion on what you yourself brought up in your post.
No problem, I’m just conscious that the mods like us to stay on topic.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I think these are all sensible suggestions but unlikely to be ever implemented. It’s interesting to note that there is a small but growing tendency in Essex for groups of lads to get cheap flights out of Stansted Airport on a Saturday morning and go and watch German league games. Cheap tickets, standing, you can drink beer on the terraces and there is a much better atmosphere than you get at Wet Ham. We kid ourselves that our stadiums are the best in the world but the actual experience of going to games is often much better abroad.
In Germany, sure. That isn't necessarily the case elsewhere.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Well you could reopen the infamous thread but I don’t think the mods will thank you for it. Like Alice, I’m not going back down that rabbit hole again.
You were the first one to raise the "infamous thread" in this thread, and you started this thread.
You might not be going back down the rabbit hole but your comment reignited a debate that you claim you want to steer clear of??

epsomred

Ad-free Member
The conspiracy/bias thread is a bit like my ex wife. I was passionate about if/her for a while then I recognised it/she was a bit unhinged and now I don’t want anything to do it with it/her. :)
I mentioned it in the context of a list of positions I have previously taken on this message board that other posters have strongly disagreed with. I wasn’t trying to reopen it in the same way I strenuously avoid talking to my ex wife. It’s over and I’ve moved on to a happier place.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Ban all OOTs, Woolies and Plastics. Anyone caught using mobiles / taking selfies to have their pelvises nailed to the coffee table. Stewards to beat the living shit out of anyone not singing. Lifetime bans for anyone wearing a half and half scarves. Euthanize all the auld fellas and recycle their season tickets to local scallies (who'll probably sell them on to the touts)...

That'll sort it.

(stops to wipe fleck of spittle away from corner of mouth)..

Well, probably not, but it's good to have a proper rant, just to get it off your chest. o_O

By the by, how many here actually remember going the match in the sixties?

And the atmosphere; 27,000 on the Kop; that heady mix of stale beer, tobacco smoke, farts, BO and amonia*... :sick:

*Best not to forget your rolled up copy of the Echo.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Ban all OOTs, Woolies and Plastics. Anyone caught using mobiles / taking selfies to have their pelvises nailed to the coffee table. Stewards to beat the living shit out of anyone not singing. Lifetime bans for anyone wearing a half and half scarves. Euthanize all the auld fellas and recycle their season tickets to local scallies (who'll probably sell them on to the touts)...

That'll sort it.

Well, probably not, but it's good to have a proper rant, just to get it off your chest. o_O

And the atmosphere; 27,000 on the Kop; that heady mix of stale beer, tobacco smoke, farts, BO and amonia*... :sick:

Hey, ya young whippersnapper!!! o_O I sing more often, louder and for longer than a lot of the 'too cool for school' local scallies that sit around me. I can't say that I remember the sixties on the Kop, but it was the same in the early seventies. Being of diminutive stature I'd get in as early as I could and make sure that I was standing in front of a barrier.

epsomred

Ad-free Member

That'll sort it.

Did you mean pelvises or penises should be nailed to a coffee table ? Quite hard to nail a pelvis to a table I would have thought. Apart from that all good suggestions apart from banning OOTs. :)

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
The conspiracy/bias thread is a bit like my ex wife. I was passionate about if/her for a while then I recognised it/she was a bit unhinged and now I don’t want anything to do it with it/her.
If you paid as much attention to your ex wife as you do to the thread you claim to loathe so much you would be either back together or she would have you arrested for stalking.

Unhinged is a lovely word, vaguely insulting but with room to escape that charge because of its antiquity.
But, insulting nonetheless.
How you describe your ex is your own business, but how you describe a debate on here might raise a few hackles.
But I guess you know that.

epsomred

Ad-free Member
If you paid as much attention to your ex wife as you do to the thread you claim to loathe so much you would be either back together or she would have you arrested for stalking.

Unhinged is a lovely word, vaguely insulting but with room to escape that charge because of its antiquity.
But, insulting nonetheless.
How you describe your ex is your own business, but how you describe a debate on here might raise a few hackles.
But I guess you know that.
Oh Quicksand, why cant we just be friends? I called it unhinged because the thread descended into vitriol and veiled threats of violence ("If you said that to me in the pub you'd be get a smack" etc etc ). That why the mods shut it down. I clearly wasn't referring to the participants. That's why I deliberately used the word "It" and not "you". Anyway I'm going to take the same position with you that I took with my ex wife, its been a rollercoaster of emotions but I've moved on, I'm in a happier place and I think its best if you and I don't talk to each other any more.
Have a nice life.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Oh Quicksand, why cant we just be friends? I called it unhinged because the thread descended into vitriol and veiled threats of violence ("If you said that to me in the pub you'd be get a smack" etc etc ). That why the mods shut it down. I clearly wasn't referring to the participants. That's why I deliberately used the word "It" and not "you". Anyway I'm going to take the same position with you that I took with my ex wife, its been a rollercoaster of emotions but I've moved on, I'm in a happier place and I think its best if you and I don't talk to each other any more.
Have a nice life.
Fair enough
Your ex must have loved you at some point.
I didnt.

Though......
To be fair, I made efforts with you, pm's etc. But I knew you were always going to refer to the bias thread when you got the opportunity and I was correct. The threats of violence simply didnt exist by the way, just another of your hysterical reactions to being argued against in a robust manner.
Anyway move on.

Last edited:

richieh10

As somebody from South Wales (so an “OOT-er”) I’ve always thought the notion of OOTers not singing to be complete bollocks.
I always sing and I must admit it does piss me off to see people not singing (it’s football for fucks sake!) but trust me there are scouse accents on those who don’t sing, as well as foreign accents!

don’t get me wrong, I think the day trippers is a problem. At the spurs game back before Christmas I was talking to 2 lads from Sweden. 1/2 and 1/2 scarves, has been to watch City play on the Saturday and then came to watch us on the Sunday. It’s football tourism and obviously these guys aren’t going to know the songs (or the ways) of our institution.

until the club stops selling tickets to agencies or get a grip on where their tickets are actually ending up it’s going to continue unfortunately.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
until the club stops selling tickets to agencies or get a grip on where their tickets are actually ending up it’s going to continue unfortunately.
The club are as despicable as the touts in regard to their selling arrangements.
They know what happens but do fuck all about it.

Bums on seats is all they care about.

epsomred

Ad-free Member
As somebody from South Wales (so an “OOT-er”) I’ve always thought the notion of OOTers not singing to be complete bollocks.
I always sing and I must admit it does piss me off to see people not singing (it’s football for fucks sake!) but trust me there are scouse accents on those who don’t sing, as well as foreign accents!

don’t get me wrong, I think the day trippers is a problem. At the spurs game back before Christmas I was talking to 2 lads from Sweden. 1/2 and 1/2 scarves, has been to watch City play on the Saturday and then came to watch us on the Sunday. It’s football tourism and obviously these guys aren’t going to know the songs (or the ways) of our institution.

There are 4 simple and obvious things the club can do to stop touting ;
1. Annual audit of season ticket renewals so that applicants have go prove their ID and address.
2. Buy tickets back from the agencies and package holiday companies and check where they originated. If you find season ticket holders or members selling them on then cancel their ticket/membership. These tickets obviously came from somebody so buy them back to trace the source.
3. Establish their own rival auction site for a block of say a 1000 tickets with profits going to community groups.
4. spot checks on the turnstiles and inside the ground. If they see people who are obviously new to the ground (cant work the turnstile, wearing half n half scarves or can’t find their seats) but are holding a season ticket then ask where they got it from. Warn everybody a season in advance that if they are caught touting their ticket to the agencies then they will lose their season ticket/membership rights.

None of these are hard to do and other industries such as the railways have been successfully managing ticket fraud for years. It needs the club to take it seriously and recognise that ordinary fans are being fleeced by the touts. I hear that tickets for the Palace game are now on the market for £1,000 plus.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Personally, I’d abolish season tickets completely.

Season tickets served a purpose in the past, and still do at smaller clubs, but at a ground like Anfield, which would sell out many times over for every game nowadays, they are nothing but an anachronism.

From the club’s perspective, it makes more sense to attract the proverbial “once in a lifetime” visitor to Anfield- their match day expenditure is much higher than that of the miserable old git who just stumbles in from the pub one minute before kick off and does nothing but moan and fart week after week.

epsomred

Ad-free Member

Season tickets served a purpose in the past, and still do at smaller clubs, but at a ground like Anfield, which would sell out many times over for every game nowadays, they are nothing but an anachronism.
Yes good point. I think the clubs like the certainty of the cash flow but you are quite right, other entertainment industries where you follow a group of people such as pop music don’t sell season tickets for every gig every year. It’s a radical idea though.

Commando

Ad-free Member

From the club’s perspective, it makes more sense to attract the proverbial “once in a lifetime” visitor to Anfield- their match day expenditure is much higher than that of the miserable old git who just stumbles in from the pub one minute before kick off and does nothing but moan and fart week after week.

I'd like to see the reaction to your idea of scrapping season tickets from those fans who finally got one when the new main stand was opened. Imagine waiting how ever long on the ST list. Finally get one. Four years down the line STs are scrapped. I'm sure that everyone would be fine with that.
Or the ST holders who have stood in the same place for years. They've come to know those around them. They all sing together and even get some songs going. STs are scrapped, tickets go on first come first served basis. The fan finds himself in a different stand to usual, with different people who are "arl Arse non singers"?
I don't think that scrapping STs is the answer.

Yes good point. I think the clubs like the certainty of the cash flow but you are quite right, other entertainment industries where you follow a group of people such as pop music don’t sell season tickets for every gig every year. It’s a radical idea though.
Bands don't play gigs at the same venue every two weeks with different support acts.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Please don't blame the day trippers. Getting to Anfield and truly feel the atmosphere will turn some of them to become true long term LFC fans. However, they may not know the songs to sing. I think that home fans entering the ground with a smart phone should download an app will all the LFC songs and chants. That will help the folks not knowing the songs (karaoke! :sneaky: :LOL: ).

I remember that there was a post/article somewhere jeering at some new fans learning to sing YNWA from a sheet of paper or from their phone. Instead of jeering, the fans around them should help them.

Last edited:

epsomred

Ad-free Member
There are loads of tickets on Stubhub for the Palace game from £700 upwards including a block of 9 together ! . For a family of 4 you are looking at £3k. Thats a decent family summer holiday and no doubt some people are having that debate.

It took me about 30 seconds to find these tickets. If I can do that then why can’t the club find the people who originally owned these tickets and take away their season tickets or membership rights ? These seats will be full of tourists with little or no attachment to the club, rich blokes on corporate expense accounts who are just ticking this off a bucket list or finally ordinary fans who have paid a fortune to see us win the league. Only the latter will contribute anything to the atmosphere. There seems to be a general apathy at the club about ordinary fans.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
There are loads of tickets on Stubhub for the Palace game from £700 upwards including a block of 9 together ! . For a family of 4 you are looking at £3k. Thats a decent family summer holiday and no doubt some people are having that debate.

It took me about 30 seconds to find these tickets. If I can do that then why can’t the club find the people who originally owned these tickets and take away their season tickets or membership rights ? These seats will be full of tourists with little or no attachment to the club, rich blokes on corporate expense accounts who are just ticking this off a bucket list or finally ordinary fans who have paid a fortune to see us win the league. Only the latter will contribute anything to the atmosphere. There seems to be a general apathy at the club about ordinary fans.
I think the problem is that

1) ‘ordinary’ fans (ie season ticket holders, regular attendees) are loyal and dedicated, but don’t spend much beyond their ticket and maybe a pint at half time.

2) ‘experience’ fans might only get to Anfield once, but are likely to spend an absolute fortune once there, filling bags in the club shop and so on.

So for the club it’s always going to be a balancing act. A stadium full of local regulars is probably going to have detrimental impact on match day revenue.

But I agree that it’s completely farcical that there is nothing to prevent tickets being scalped at hundreds of pounds over their face value. Needs sorting out, with tickets linked to ID.

epsomred

Ad-free Member

1) ‘ordinary’ fans (ie season ticket holders, regular attendees) are loyal and dedicated, but don’t spend much beyond their ticket and maybe a pint at half time.

2) ‘experience’ fans might only get to Anfield once, but are likely to spend an absolute fortune once there, filling bags in the club shop and so on.

So for the club it’s always going to be a balancing act. A stadium full of local regulars is probably going to have detrimental impact on match day revenue.

But I agree that it’s completely farcical that there is nothing to prevent tickets being scalped at hundreds of pounds over their face value. Needs sorting out, with tickets linked to ID.
I completely agree. How is that you and I can come up with a sensible and workable plan to stop touting within hours but this massive football club seems incapable of doing anything. It’s because they don’t really care. It’s the size of the crowd and how much they spend in the shop that gets counted not the decibels they generate. Klopp cares about the atmosphere and talks about it regularly but I bet the CEO doesn’t.

I suspect the club prefer tourists because they spend a lot in the shop and subscribe to LFC online. They may not sing much and film the crowd a lot but one guy who goes back to Asia with seven replica shirts and great memories of his visit will inspire far more new fans than some middle aged bald bloke like me who drives back to Surrey moaning about how the atmosphere isn’t a patch on what it was in the 1980s.

Hopefully the atmosphere tomorrow will be immense and this thread will be full of people saying I was wrong.

However I still think it’s obscene that local people who live in the city and get by on normal wages are being asked to pay £700 a ticket if they want to see us win the league for possibly the first time in their lives.

igor_piss_can

Please don't blame the day trippers. Getting to Anfield and truly feel the atmosphere will turn some of them to become true long term LFC fans. However, they may not know the songs to sing. I think that home fans entering the ground with a smart phone should download an app will all the LFC songs and chants. That will help the folks not knowing the songs (karaoke! :sneaky: :LOL: ).

I remember that there was a post/article somewhere jeering at some new fans learning to sing YNWA from a sheet of paper or from their phone. Instead of jeering, the fans around them should help them.
Hahahahahahahaahahahaha

Seriously though if getting to Anfield is the thing that might make them a "long term" LFC fan, which means they aren't already - then they shouldn't be going in the first place. If you've not made you're mind up wether you want to properly support us or not don't bother coming and give kids who do a chance for a ticket

I go the game to support my team not to teach some nonce the words to you'll never walk alone who's probably spent twice my monthly wage on his trip

Last edited:

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Hahahahahahahaahahahaha

Seriously though if getting to Anfield is the thing that might make them a "long term" LFC fan, which means they aren't already - then they shouldn't be going in the first place. If you've not made you're mind up wether you want to properly support us or not don't bother coming and give kids who do a chance for a ticket

I go the game to support my team not to teach some nonce the words to you'll never walk alone who's probably spent twice my monthly wage on his trip
So we need some sort of test or initiation to determine whether someone is enough of a fan. What could possibly go wrong.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member

After reading @ epsomred's post I did a quick Google search and found over 300 tickets available for the Madrid game on one site alone:

Prices vary from between £200 and £1250 per ticket; even tickets on the Kop are available for £399.95.

What is unclear (from the blurb on the website) is if these tickets are from a legitimate club source, or if they have been sold on by [season]ticket holders.

Obviously, if these tickets are being supplied directly to the website by the club, then nothing can, or will be done about it.