Where’s your famous atmosphere ? ( because I miss it)

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
After reading @ epsomred's post I did a quick Google search and found over 300 tickets available for the Madrid game on one site alone:

Prices vary from between £200 and £1250 per ticket; even tickets on the Kop are available for £399.95.

What is unclear (from the blurb on the website) is if these tickets are from a legitimate club source, or if they have been sold on by [season]ticket holders.

Obviously, if these tickets are being supplied directly to the website by the club, then nothing can, or will be done about it.
It wouldn’t make any sense for a club to sell directly to ticket agencies so these tickets must be coming from the fans. The club just needs to warn everybody that from now on they will be buying back black market tickets to identify the source then start cancelling season tickets and memberships. It would stop within a month and the tickets would go to real fans not corporate accounts. I work in the city and the whole corporate entertainment industry is basically blokes going to high profile sporting events with black market tickets. I knew scores of people who went on all expenses paid trips to the CL final and not a Liverpool or Tottenham fan among them. The same people won’t be singing “scouser tommy” at the Palace game that’s for sure.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
It wouldn’t make any sense for a club to sell directly to ticket agencies so these tickets must be coming from the fans. The club just needs to warn everybody that from now on they will be buying back black market tickets to identify the source then start cancelling season tickets and memberships. It would stop within a month and the tickets would go to real fans not corporate accounts. I work in the city and the whole corporate entertainment industry is basically blokes going to high profile sporting events with black market tickets. I knew scores of people who went on all expenses paid trips to the CL final and not a Liverpool or Tottenham fan among them. The same people won’t be singing “scouser tommy” at the Palace game that’s for sure.
It would make sense for the club to sell higher priced tickets at a discount to agencies if only to hedge against being left with unsold tickets. The club has done this in the past, for example with Thomas Cooke whereby it [Thomas Cooke] sold matchday packages i.e. travel plus ticket (at grossly inflated prices).

On this occasion my suspicions were aroused when I noticed that the hospitality tickets being sold on the website were at a price, pretty much on par with those still available and being sold directly by the club. If these tickets had come via fans, the large number of fans in question would have had to take a substantial hit on what they originally paid for the hospitality package tickets in order for the website to make a profit. Conversely the website was taking the hit. Either way, hardly a successful business model.

However, if the ticketing website bought in bulk, at a discount from the club, the ticketing website could make a profit selling the tickets at par, with the opportunity to increase prices as other sources i.e. direct from the club, dried up.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
It would make sense for the club to sell higher priced tickets at a discount to agencies if only to hedge against being left with unsold tickets. The club has done this in the past, for example with Thomas Cooke whereby it [Thomas Cooke] sold matchday packages i.e. travel plus ticket (at grossly inflated prices).

On this occasion my suspicions were aroused when I noticed that the hospitality tickets being sold on the website were at a price, pretty much on par with those still available and being sold directly by the club. If these tickets had come via fans, the large number of fans in question would have had to take a substantial hit on what they originally paid for the hospitality package tickets in order for the website to make a profit. Conversely the website was taking the hit. Either way, hardly a successful business model.

However, if the ticketing website bought in bulk, at a discount from the club, the ticketing website could make a profit selling the tickets at par, with the opportunity to increase prices as other sources i.e. direct from the club, dried up.
I don’t think the club would risk the PR impact of selling to corporate touts (which is what the websites are) just to avoid a few empty seats. There’s always demand for tickets so a small and entirely theoretical risk against a backlash from the fans if they were found out.

I suspect what has happened is that the agencies have slowly accumulated a stock of season tickets throughout the ground from fans over the years and are selling these seats. I personally know somebody with 20 season tickets which he has accumulated over the last 15 years as a business expense. He doesn’t tout them but uses them for friends, family and corporate entertainment.

Not rocket science for the agencies to do the same and this is why the club need to undertake an annual reconciliation of the name on the ticket with the address they are posting it to. It’s really simple to spot multiple duplicate addresses in the data base and we are only talking about 30,000 tickets.

I think stopping this would improve the atmosphere by stopping corporates using tickets throughout the ground for entertaining clients. I’ve been on a few of these and the clients spend most of the match in the bar talking work rather than watching the match or god forbid actually singing.

You see this phenomenon clearly illustrated at Wembley where nearly all the corporate seats usually remain empty well into the second half as people finish their half time food and drinks. They serve a full 3 course meal at Wembley so almost impossible to eat this in 15 minutes,

However as with airlines and first class, most of the match day profits probably comes from a minority of expensive seats so it’s a difficult balancing act between selling to corporates and fans who contribute to thr atmosphere but I think we have gone too far towards the former.