• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who has been Klopp’s most important signing?

Klopp's most important signing

• Total voters

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Who had been Kloppo most significant signing?

I know this is goi g to be a head scratcher but I am going to stick by what I’ve written before - Sadio Mane. He was a catalyst for how we play under Klopp. Setting the press - not only for his goals but his overall work ethic....

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I'm not sure how much Alisson was a Klopp signing, or the team around Klopp got him in.

Mane was done by selling Benteke and a pure signing - a signal of what was to come.

VVD - Klopp waited for and singled out. Didn't go for plan B when there was so much pressure on him to do so. And for me, he's changed not only the defence (and improved defenders around him) but signalled the start of the next level for the club as a whole.

And he's also a Jedi.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Van Dijk or Alisson.

Both those players have been completely transformational. They are not only exceptional footballers, they are leaders, and they allow the backline to play with confidence and authority.

And it’s not just that - the effect they have had on the crowd too. Prior to them arriving, 50,000 arses would completely go every time we had to defend a corner or free kick. Now there is calm and confidence, which in turn transmits to the players.

Last edited:

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
VVD - Klopp waited for and singled out. Didn't go for plan B when there was so much pressure on him to do so. And for me, he's changed not only the defence (and improved defenders around him) but signalled the start of the next level for the club as a whole.

And he's also a Jedi.
100%. He was/is precisely what was absolutely needed and has outperformed everyone's wildest fantasies under the wing of our German Overlord. It's like when The Beatles brought Ringo in :)(y)

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Who had been Kloppo most significant signing?

I know this is goi g to be a head scratcher but I am going to stick by what I’ve written before - Sadio Mane. He was a catalyst for how we play under Klopp. Setting the press - not only for his goals but his overall work ethic....
Sadio is the one I think is the most defining, in terms of the identity of the team. He immediately changed us from a good, solid team into a more explosive team. Suddenly we looked so much more dangerous, he added the pace dimension. Quality as well, of course, but pace out wide was something we didn't have. Klopp mentioned it quite a lot during the first season.

And in turn this also got the best out of Coutinho and Firmino. The latter became even better when Salah was added to the mix and Coutinho left, but I think it was the introduction of Mane who got thinks clicking. We immediately looked like a different team.

I think Virgil just about edges it in terms of importance though. He has the advantage of being last to the party, but considering how quickly the defensive instability transformed into stability after he was bought - and our results since - it makes it difficult to look past him.

So for me Mane is the most defining, while Van Dijk is the most important.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Robbo. How many poor left backs have we had? That position has been a festering sore for years. In every sense he's the outstanding signing not least in terms of value for money. Nobody else was interested in signing him at the time.
Obviously VVD, Alisson and Fabinho are "alpha" signings. Sadio and Mo are jewels in the crown. Pound for pound Robbo is Klopp's best signing IMO.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
The obvious answer has to be big Virg.He gets my vote. Has to be our best-ever defender and currently the world's finest.

However.....Then you consider Mane and how immense he's become. Then you think about Becker, what a brilliant 'keeper.......and then there's Fabinho.....Salah.....Firmino......Robertson......And what about free signings Matip and Milner.

All are awesome signings.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Robbo. How many poor left backs have we had? That position has been a festering sore for years. In every sense he's the outstanding signing not least in terms of value for money. Nobody else was interested in signing him at the time.
Obviously VVD, Alisson and Fabinho are "alpha" signings. Sadio and Mo are jewels in the crown. Pound for pound Robbo is Klopp's best signing IMO.
Yep, insane value for money. Then consider Matip and Milner were free. We've got this transfer lark absolutely sorted haven't we?!

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Milner
The obvious answer has to be big Virg.He gets my vote. Has to be our best-ever defender and currently the world's finest.

However.....Then you consider Mane and how immense he's become. Then you think about Becker, what a brilliant 'keeper.......and then there's Fabinho.....Salah.....Firmino......Robertson......And what about free signings Matip and Milner.

Milly and Firmino were Rodgers' signings. Well Milly was , Bobby was a committee signing.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
van Dijk. When City were interested, van Dijk chose us over them. For me it signals that Liverpool is back among the elite choices for top players.

Based on footballing output purely, Mane for sure.
Agree with this. However, on the way there, I'd say that it was his first signing which stands out. The one when he wasn't at the club yet: Bobby Firmino.

If ones assume that he'd come to the club anyway, then it would have to be Sadio Mané. Him combined with Bobby started to create utter havoc among defences before Salah completed the attacking trio.

But you're right mate. VVD is the one signing which transformed us in a top team for the first time, by giving us that defensive stability we lacked before. Allisson and Fabinho have since then completed the spine.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
VVD. He cuts out so much of the danger for us in the final third. His reading of the game is phenomenal. AB is one of the least-tested keepers on the planet because of the work that Van Dijk does in front of him.

We are seriously lucky to have the world's best defender AND Goalkeeper in the squad.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Van Djik and Alisson, without those two, we would not be where we are today or won Champions League for 6th time.They transformed and solidified our defence and took the team to another level in that they instilled so much confidence and made the rest of team play better and that they feared no one.

Red over the water

If it’s limited to one, Van Dijk. Transformed the back line, which was the weakest part of the team, and generally you can’t compete for the biggest prizes if you can’t defend. World class. Has got the lot.

If I can add a second choice, I’d say Alisson. World class, oozes authority. A top keeper is worth x amount of points a season, which enables you to challenge for the title, and obviously if they come up with big moments too e.g. Alisson’s save against Napoli, it could be the difference between winning something as big as the Champions League or getting knocked out.

If I can add a third choice I’d say Sadio Mane. Arguably he suffers in my ranking slightly because our attack was pretty good before he arrived, so the transformation to the overall team hasn’t been as notable. Mind you, he is mustard. I would have him as our most important attacker at the moment. World class. Fast, goals, dribbles, presses, defends, decent in the air too, especially for his size.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Does anyone really think we would have won the CL or compete for the title without VvD?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
It's between Mane and Van Dijk for me and I'm leaning towards the former. Without Mane, Liverpool don't get Champions League football, they don't get Salah and Van Dijk and Alisson. Without Van Dijk, though, the defence remains as porous as usual, they don't mount a title challenge and win the Champions League.

Redsi73

As much of the plaudits will go to the likes of VVD and Alisson, im gonna go a bit left field here and say Andy Robertson.

An absolute steal at 8m, he has both transformed our defence and attack. We had been crying out for a quality left back for so many years, and in my opinion only JAR came close to what we have now.

So yeah.......Andy Andy Andy Roberstsonnnnnn

andyclegs

Andy C Legs

I think that this is just it - Klopp has rarely made a bad signing and such magnificent ones; that's why I put the almost impossible poser out there in the first place. It just again illustrates, on the 4th birthday of his arrival, just what a brilliant job he had done....

Red over the water

Good shout on Robbo too! When you factor the price into the equation, he can’t be beat.

I think a strong case could be made for 4-5 players, which tells us our recruitment has been spot in under Klopp, as evidenced by the fact that we are European Champions and fighting hard for that Prem title.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I've added a poll. First contemplated to put in Firmino as well. I'm sure that the perspective of Klopp coming in led to the signing of this player. But let's go by the official version.

I've put two possible choices. It's Mané and VVD for me, for reasons already outlined above.

(Obviously, I only picked the players who have played a part in our first team over the last four years. Not the likes of Grujic, Caulker, Grabara etc.)

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Its Mane, because Klopp put all his money down on him early on and he sparked the trajectory we now have. Without that trajectory none of the others would be here now. It really is Sadio, who incidentally, also is our best and most consistent threat. VVD and Allison are icings, but Mane is the cake mix.