• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who has been Klopp’s most important signing?

Klopp's most important signing

• Total voters

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Van Dijk or Alisson.

Both those players have been completely transformational. They are not only exceptional footballers, they are leaders, and they allow the backline to play with confidence and authority.

And it’s not just that - the effect they have had on the crowd too. Prior to them arriving, 50,000 arses would completely go every time we had to defend a corner or free kick. Now there is calm and confidence, which in turn transmits to the players.

It’s an extremely legitimate choice, either of those guys, but they do end up with a bit of credit mane or firmino are not even at the races for, mane could never be the transitional footballer VVD gets credit for simply because of the dates they each signed for us.

Invert the dates, and mane would be getting similar plaudits.

So many signings were pivotal along this journey, it’s an impossible question.

I mean does VVD even sign if firmino and mane didn’t?

Does Allison even sign if VVD didnt

Does salah sign if mane didn’t?

And then there’s the sales...... countinho, Sahko, errr.....Ibe......

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Surprised Alisson has garnered just one vote so far (mine). Have people forgotten what it was like with Karius and Mignolet the season prior to his arrival? Just as VVD revolutionised our backline, Alisson has transformed our goalkeeping situation.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Surprised Alisson has garnered just one vote so far (mine). Have people forgotten what it was like with Karius and Mignolet the season prior to his arrival? Just as VVD revolutionised our backline, Alisson has transformed our goalkeeping situation.
He’s done ok I suppose, we can give you that much.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I voted Allison. We would never have won any major trophies under JK until we fixed the defence. VVD was a massive step in the right direction, as was Robertson, but Allison was the final piece of the puzzle. Even if you have a great defence you still need to have a keeper you can rely on to make big saves at critical moments.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Hard to argue with robbo on a scouting and value for money basis, but the big thing with VvD for me (vs say the awesome Allison) is that Klopp wooed him and then waited for him. This represented a seismic shift from earlier transfers and signalled that we wouldn't be taking second best for reasons of price nor would we panic nor would we be out maneouvered by richer rivals. If you think that if we hadn't wooed, waited and paid up, VvD would now be playing for citeh and that doesn't bear thinking about...

Limiescouse

If it’s limited to one, Van Dijk. Transformed the back line, which was the weakest part of the team, and generally you can’t compete for the biggest prizes if you can’t defend. World class. Has got the lot.
For me, the acquisition of Virgil goes far beyond that. @won it at-a-turk stadium already mentioned him coming out and publicly choosing us over City, and that makes a big statement. You shouldnt make decisions based on the statement it makes, but when the statements are made as a result of your decisions then it can carry weight.

However, the real issue is that for the first time since maybe Barnes was at his peak, but likely even before that, we've now got that intimidating tunnel presence. That thing of the opposition walking out and feeling defeated simply from seeing someone so dominant and so cool lining up against you. At this level, its a very small number of players in a generation that have that effect on other top pros. Virgil is one of them. We were a very good team even before he got here. His presence has not just made us better, it has made the opposition shrink. There are plenty of talented players who can be replaced. What Virgil brings goes way beyond that.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
I voted Allison. We would never have won any major trophies under JK until we fixed the defence. VVD was a massive step in the right direction, as was Robertson, but Allison was the final piece of the puzzle. Even if you have a great defence you still need to have a keeper you can rely on to make big saves at critical moments.
Mingnolet or Karius in goal means no No.6. No TAA and Robbo making chances probably means the same. The fullbacks are so vital to how we attack and create chances that it makes it very very difficult to narrow it down to one single signing as being the real key. No Mane and Mo means a massive drop in the goals for column. Obviously Klopp didn't sign TAA but he still added him as a "new" right full so it's almost the same thing really.
When you start to think about it what hits is the quality we have signed all over the pitch rather than one single signing.

Red over the water

Agreed Limiescouse. He’s the modern day Ron Yeats, in terms of stature - I’m thinking of the famous Shanks quote. And that will impact the opposition. I’m thinking of last season’s quote by Troy Deeney as indicative. Never the best of strikers, but well able to put himself about a bit, and rough up Prem defenders up and down the league. Deeney said that Van Dijk was too good, not just as a footballer, but also too strong, fast, hard. Basically Deeney was throwing in the towel when it comes to getting much change out of big Virg.

Going beyond what he brings on the pitch, and the boost it gives to our team and fans, and the sense of deflation it gives to the opposition, we also put down a marker saying that we could identify our man, wait for him, pay big money for him, and also beat Man City to the signing.

There’s a lot to like about big Virg, even beyond the considerable talent he brings onto the pitch. Sartorially speaking, which we haven’t covered yet, it has to be said that he wears a suit really well too! He looks very suave in his black suit, black shirt combo. And in terms of sticking up for his team, he’s in there as needed - witness the Perez handbags after the Leicester game, and who is in there, making sure our team is protected? Well, a few actually, but big Virg was in the thick of it, and seeing him would tend to calm down a combustible character on the opposing team who was thinking of having a pop! In terms of sticking up for his team with the interviewers, he’s also spot on. For example, Roma were whining after we knocked them out of the CL and Van Dijk said, “Who cares?”

Top man. Leader. And great for us in all the ways we are capturing on here.

In the poll I voted VVD number one and Alisson number two.

zman89

Has to be salah for me. Is he our most important player or the one who had the most impact? Maybe not, but he was the one to shine enough to make all the other signings possible IMO. Without him some of the players we got wouldn't have joined for sure.

Incognito

The Normal One
Mingnolet or Karius in goal means no No.6. No TAA and Robbo making chances probably means the same. The fullbacks are so vital to how we attack and create chances that it makes it very very difficult to narrow it down to one single signing as being the real key. No Mane and Mo means a massive drop in the goals for column. Obviously Klopp didn't sign TAA but he still added him as a "new" right full so it's almost the same thing really.
When you start to think about it what hits is the quality we have signed all over the pitch rather than one single signing.
That's your brain saying, but what does your heart say? :giggle:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
How can it not be the true FIFA World Player of the Year and soon to be Balon Dor over the GOAT of my generation Lionel "tax dodging" Messi.

A fucking colossos back there, I echo the above he is like having an extra man. The fact an opposition used "dribbled" past Van Dijk as a stat, imagine that having that level of statistic because you are a fucking wall.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Yes, you can make cases for loads of players. I can't remember a period where we have had so many 'hits' in the transfer market. I just don't think we win anything of note with either Karius or Mignolet in goal. That's why I went for Allison.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
VVD and Allison - The difference in defence before and after is unbelievable.
Robbo - The best LB we had in last 2 decades. I think he is the best in the world right now. What a transition from penniless, jobless to world class player.
TAA - not Klopp signing. But imho the best right back in the world right now.
Fab - our true DM after Mascherano and Lucas's 1 season. In between this has been a decade of rubbish and DCM and whatnot.
Mane, Salah and Bobby - best trio in world right now? Reminding me of Barca's trio Henry, Ronaldinho and Messi.
Milner - perfect professional. I wish he came here directly from Villa.
Origi - well, he stun Barca.

If its Klopp's most important signing, it has to be VVD or Alisson. But I am a bit biased and go with the working class hero Robbo.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Pepijin Lijnders?

Only lost 1 league game, and won the champs league since he signed as assistant manager in summer 2018!