• Nathaniel Clyne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (State Your Answer Below)

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters

MoJesusSalah

It is hard to put it in words, but in some sort of wierd way - they never left.
Agreed

Because they left and did not return.
I am not accusing them, not even close. Some were sold or released because the club did not want to keep them. Others got better offers from "bigger" clubs were they dreamed of playing since they were kids.
Take Rush, Kenny, Fowler, even when they left the club to play someone else, they returned to Liverpool. It is hard to put it in words, but in some sort of wierd way - they never left.
At the end of the day, all the great players you mentioned can be classified as English players. I think Liverpool is facing an identity and cultural crisis. Yet to be the greatest, it got to open its doors wide to the greatest players in the world. Only then it will be at the same bar with clubs like Barca and Real Madrid.

And by the way, Salah mentioned that he dreamed as a kid to play for Liverpool. I feel torn, even though I think it is better for his developement to leave as well as better for the club, financially.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Very very difficult.
But will go with Roberson again.
VVD is like a millimetre close.
I can see a working class hero in Robbo. Worked his arse off, give his best every freaking game, has a world class attitude. Perfect role model and a very humble human being.
If we win the league and VVD stays with us for a long time, I can see him being in the top 3-5 players to have played for us. Easily.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Agreed

At the end of the day, all the great players you mentioned can be classified as English players. I think Liverpool is facing an identity and cultural crisis. Yet to be the greatest, it got to open its doors wide to the greatest players in the world. Only then it will be at the same bar with clubs like Barca and Real Madrid.

And by the way, Salah mentioned that he dreamed as a kid to play for Liverpool. I feel torn, even though I think it is better for his developement to leave as well as better for the club, financially.
I don't think it is an English thing ( Rushie is Welsh, Kenny is Scottish ). Neither started their career at LFC, both left the club ( Rush as a player, Kenny as manager ), but even when they were at other clubs they were one of us. I don't know one supporter who was not happy for Kenny when he won the title with Blackburn. Many of us follow Gerrard at Rangers.
I think non british players are more likely to return to their native countries, for themselves and their families. Which is natural.

MoJesusSalah

I don't think it is an English thing ( Rushie is Welsh, Kenny is Scottish ).....
Still both sound English to international fans, at least until they gain their independence :well done:
Maybe if you mentioned a single French or Latin American, the conclusion would have been different.
I still insist that Liverpool suffers from a cultural trap, and maybe Mo is one of very few players that are capable, to an extent, of creating a breakthrough.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Still both sound English to international fans, at least until they gain their independence :well done:
Maybe if you mentioned a single French or Latin American, the conclusion would have been different.
I still insist that Liverpool suffers from a cultural trap, and maybe Mo is one of very few players that are capable, to an extent, of creating a breakthrough.
It's easier for Barcelona or Madrid fans to mention some "Latin" names since the entire country has that type of name. How's this - Gomez, yes Joe Gomez an English player with a Portuguese sounding name. Or Lallana, having Spanish background. I think there are a gap of understanding between what you think as cultural issues and issues that isn't there in the first place.

If you ever have a chance to meet someone from Liverpool, or visit the city, try talk to them about how their clubs are so "locally English" and lack culture and character. See what they say.

Lastly with regards to being "the greatest" by opening up our door. Fella, we were the greatest in 1970-80. Even your beloved before Guardiola envied our European success. Hell, only 2 teams had won more times than us in the European stage - Milan and Madrid. Even your Barcelona that had supposedly been the greatest before 2006 had only won it once.

Like I told you in the Salah's thread. Best if you start reading up the story and history of the club. I can bet you if you speak to Salah or had a chance to speak to him, he will tell you how wrong you are in your perception of "Liverpool lack culture and needed to open up to be the greatest".

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I'm not sure people can say that the club hasn't opened up to the world when the majority of their players - especially their best players - are from outside of the UK.

I agree that there's a cultural bias towards players from the home country, in part because of national pride, in part because of participation with the national team, in part because of the lack of lingual or cultural barriers. There are, of course, supporters with more sinister views towards non-English or non-UK players, but I believe their numbers have fallen as more fans have begun to recognize the value of having a diverse squad with talented players from other parts of the world.

From where I'm sitting here in the States, I'm not invested at all in the "English character" of Liverpool and don't give a shit where a player is from as long as they represent the club with dignity and perform well on the pitch. I feel the same way about the teams I follow here locally. That's all that matters.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
This is more difficult than the Brexit thread :think:

Cant choose, sometimes its either of Robbo, Virg, Mo, Gini, occasionally it was Milner in the early days of this season. Bobby for his attitude. Really cannot pick one from this team, whereas for years it was Gerrard for me.

Oh Gini then :shocked: because he plays and sounds like magic. No actually, he does loads of largely unnoticed but essential bulwark type work for the team, which without we would really struggle. You lose the midfield and you can neither win nor defend, and in most instances against quality opposition, Wijnaldum has been at the heart of us bossing the midfield.

Commando

I think what this thread shows from the comments at least is that we have a great group of players that bring so many different things to our team. From our keeper through the defence to midfield and on to our attack there are so many great characters.

MoJesusSalah

It's easier for Barcelona or Madrid fans to mention some "Latin" names since the entire country has that type of name. How's this - Gomez, yes Joe Gomez an English player with a Portuguese sounding name. Or Lallana, having Spanish background. I think there are a gap of understanding between what you think as cultural issues and issues that isn't there in the first place.

If you ever have a chance to meet someone from Liverpool, or visit the city, try talk to them about how their clubs are so "locally English" and lack culture and character. See what they say.

Lastly with regards to being "the greatest" by opening up our door. Fella, we were the greatest in 1970-80. Even your beloved before Guardiola envied our European success. Hell, only 2 teams had won more times than us in the European stage - Milan and Madrid. Even your Barcelona that had supposedly been the greatest before 2006 had only won it once.

Like I told you in the Salah's thread. Best if you start reading up the story and history of the club. I can bet you if you speak to Salah or had a chance to speak to him, he will tell you how wrong you are in your perceptin of "Liverpool lack culture and needed to open up to be the greatest".
Still you cannot explain:
  • why you are no longer the greatest.
  • why the best players leave the club.
  • why your worldwide fan base is very small.
As an international fan that has been testing the waters, for awhile, I can easily tell you that until Mo arrived, your world wide fan base was below low.

Your turn to, explain :think:

Commando

• Why your worldwide fan base is very small.
As an international fan that has been testing the waters, for awhile, I can easily tell you that until Mo arrived, your world wide fan base was below low.

:think: lol

That's fecking ridiculous. I think you should step away from the keyboard and think about what you're typing.

Kopstar

★★★★★

Stay off the drugs.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular

Man.. Liverpool FC, a small worldwide fan base..? That's factually wrong. Have you seen any pre-season games lately from Asia, North America or Australia? Liverpool fill huge stadiums worldwide like only a handful of clubs can.

Maria

This is too difficult to choose from the best players and the most well loved players
For me, growing up watching LFC, it has to be those from the late 1970s and throughout the 1980s.
My favourites are

Alan Hansen
Kenny Dalglish
Graham Souness
Terry McDermott
Alan Kennedy
Ray kennedy
John Barnes
Ian Rush

From the Premier league era -1992 onwards

Robbie Fowler
Xabi Alonso
Steven Gerrard
Luis Suarez
Fernando Torres
Sami Hyppia

The current squad....umm

Roberto Firmino
Mo Salah
Sadio Mane
Virgil Van Djik
Andrew Robertson
James Milner

MoJesusSalah

Man.. Liverpool FC, a small worldwide fan base..? That's factually wrong. Have you seen any pre-season games lately from Asia, North America or Australia? Liverpool fill huge stadiums worldwide like only a handful of clubs can.
No I haven't :-) Bring one example and we can discuss it.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
No I haven't :-) Bring one example and we can discuss it.
Here's what our small worldwide fan base looks like in Australia mate.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist

Wtf are you talking about? You really haven't a clue

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
A British colony :think: This example doesn't work mate..
hmmm the British Empire covered like 25% of the planet,held over 70 countries with over 450million people in it,at some point in time,if i knew we couldn't use these countries in our worldwide fanbase,you should have been a bit more clearer in your arguement. =P