Who was the worst Liverpool signing ever ? - a quick poll

Who was the worst Liverpool signing ever ?

• Jimmy carter

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Nicky tanner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sean dundee

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Torbrn piechnik

• Istvan Kozma

• Frobe kippe

• Paul konchensky

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Jean Michael ferri

• David speedie

• None of the above

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • El Hadji Diouf

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Sir Andrew of Carroll

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
We had this discussion before but I didn’t take a poll so I thought I’d revisit it. Now before the usual suspects get out their jodhpurs, saddle up and clamber on to their high horses of indignation, this is just a bit of fun to while away the next dreary day of lockdown. It’s not trolling or being disloyal to our great club or any of that shit. Some of us have been fans for a long time, we have spent £10,000s in tickets and travel so I think we are entitled to laugh at the players some times. Is that clear ? Anyway here is my list. For the avoidance of doubt, I left out Keita :)

epsomred

Ad-free Member
Please add Christian Poulsen to the poll, several times.
I dint know how to edit a poll but I put a vote down for him. You can only vote once though, this isn’t a Labour Party candidate selection meeting :)

epsomred

Ad-free Member
El Hadji Diouf didn't make it in that list?!? He'd get my vote.
If it had been a poll for worst personality he’d be on the list but although he was and still is a proper wanker he did have some ability.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
To be a truly abysmal signing, I think there needs to be significant financial outlay as well as just being shite. We've signed a lot of free/cheap crap players down the years, but ultimately if they're terrible it's not a sacrifice just to leave them out then punt them at the next available opportunity.

So for that reason, I'm voting Andy Carroll.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Ok, so going on pure lack of footballing ability, and taking someone who was a regular in the team (albeit for a short time only), I'd go with Konchesky. He was the symbol of what was wrong at the club at the time. It wasn't really his really his fault if he was brought in, and I've no personal animosity towards him. But the combination of being Hodgson's signing, of being crap at this level, of being a bit thick and showing no interest whatsoever towards the club or the fans makes him the outstanding candidate.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
El Hadji Diouf didn't make it in that list?!? He'd get my vote.
Mine too.

3 goals in 55 games. Disgusting individual who continues to talk shit about the club. He can get fucked.

"He has one of the worst strike rates of any forward in Liverpool history. He's the only no. 9 ever to go through a whole season without scoring, in fact he's probably the only no. 9 of any club to do that. He was always the last one to get picked in training." Jamie Carragher

At the time he was our 2nd most expensive transfer.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Diouf or Carroll by a country mile. The fees we put towards them, their supposed ability on the pitch, how much harm those transfers did to us, wow. Diouf because he is still trying his best to do harm to us as a club and our reputation to this day whilst Andy largely keeps his gob shut.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Mine too.

3 goals in 55 games. Disgusting individual who continues to talk shit about the club. He can get fucked.

"He has one of the worst strike rates of any forward in Liverpool history. He's the only no. 9 ever to go through a whole season without scoring, in fact he's probably the only no. 9 of any club to do that. He was always the last one to get picked in training." Jamie Carragher

At the time he was our 2nd most expensive transfer.
You are right. He was not only despicable, but also really, really crap. I'll change my vote again! :LOL:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ok, so going on pure lack of footballing ability, and taking someone who was a regular in the team (albeit for a short time only), I'd go with Konchesky. He was the symbol of what was wrong at the club at the time. It wasn't really his really his fault if he was brought in, and I've no personal animosity towards him. But the combination of being Hodgson's signing, of being crap at this level, of being a bit thick and showing no interest whatsoever towards the club or the fans makes him the outstanding candidate.
When his Mum described Liverpool fans as "Scouse scum"

Hope in Your Heart said: "My take is that if he wants to keep a tiny chance of saving his Liverpool career, he needs to come out and clearly distance himself from what his relatives have done/said".

He was abysmal but not on the level of Diouf.

rab

Alberto Aquilani for a number of reasons.
  • cost a fortune
  • never fit
  • was meant to replace Alonso but wasn't fit to lace his boots
  • delivered nothing on the pitch
  • never looked like a Liverpool player
  • left for nothing or next to nothing
Only positive was he seemed like a nice enough lad, unlike Diouf.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Alberto Aquilani for a number of reasons.
  • cost a fortune
  • never fit
  • was meant to replace Alonso but wasn't fit to lace his boots
  • delivered nothing on the pitch
  • never looked like a Liverpool player
  • left for nothing or next to nothing
Only positive was he seemed like a nice enough lad, unlike Diouf.
He was actually good on the pitch for us and the team did well when he played so sorry no chance. He was injured when we bought him, victim of a political war at the club, never got a chance to settle into club or country and was a central attacking midfielder bought to replace a deep lying playmaker/DM which was what we needed. None of what went wrong with him was his fault (maybe 10% at most if you are feeling harsh) or due to his actual ability. Unlike the other candidates.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
What he said.

Zinedine Biscan

We've probably done a few of these down the years, but in honour of this thread's subject, the Liverpool Wrong'uns XI:

Itandje

Degen, Babb, Piechnik, Konchesky

Poulsen, Diao

Diouf, Cole, Jovanovic

Carroll

Bench: Bogdan, Josemi, Nunez, Cheyrou, Markovic, Aspas, Benteke

Manager: Roy Hodgson

There's no way that team isn't being relegated :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Hicks & Gillett?

*I was initially thinking Diouf, then when I saw Hope steal my answer, I thought to go with Woy, but Bonus beat me there as well, so fuck it, I'm going with the 2 thick cunts that left us within hours of being put into administration

rab

He was actually good on the pitch for us and the team did well when he played so sorry no chance. He was injured when we bought him, victim of a political war at the club, never got a chance to settle into club or country and was a central attacking midfielder bought to replace a deep lying playmaker/DM which was what we needed. None of what went wrong with him was his fault (maybe 10% at most if you are feeling harsh) or due to his actual ability. Unlike the other candidates.
£20m for less than 20 league appearances, one goal, barely able to play 90 minutes, two loans for which we probably paid a good chunk of his wages and then left for nothing.

He might not be the worst player we've bought but he's one of the worst signings we've made.

Andy Carroll may have been shit but he at least gave us those moments against Blackburn and Everton. Aquilani made zero impact whatsoever.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
We've probably done a few of these down the years, but in honour of this thread's subject, the Liverpool Wrong'uns XI:

Itandje

Degen, Babb, Piechnik, Konchesky

Poulsen, Diao

Diouf, Cole, Jovanovic

Carroll

Bench: Padelli, Josemi, Nunez, Cheyrou, Downing, Aspas, Benteke

Manager: Roy Hodgson

There's no way that team isn't being relegated :ROFLMAO:
I’d replace Aspas with Voronin.

Zinedine Biscan

To quote The Bard, one shit corner does not a wank player make.
It was the shit-nugget atop the shit-cake though. Voronin was bad, don't get me wrong, but Aspas (as good as he has been in Spain) shades it for me. Not to forget the fact we actually paid for him!

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Too many to mention.
Sean Dundee was an odd one. Did he ever get on the pitch?
Diomede as well. Another one of Houlliers "this guy is better than Trezaguet" and was fucking shit - bit like Cheyrou who was better than Zidane