Who was the worst Liverpool signing ever ? - a quick poll

Who was the worst Liverpool signing ever ?

• Jimmy carter

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Nicky tanner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sean dundee

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Torbrn piechnik

• Istvan Kozma

• Frobe kippe

• Paul konchensky

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Jean Michael ferri

• David speedie

• None of the above

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • El Hadji Diouf

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Sir Andrew of Carroll

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Diouf every time. His fee, his goal return, his attitude, his behaviour, the expectation plus we signed him over Anelka make him the worst on my opinion. Most of the guys on the list weren't very good but they behaved in a proper manner and didn't embarrass the club and bring shame like he did. A despicable person.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
We have to separate the worst signing from the worst player. Not the same.

It's between Carroll and Downing for me, considering the whole package and how I immediately felt (sometimes I got it horribly wrong the opposite way, but with these it was clear from the start).

Carroll because it was initially a shock, something completely different, for a massive price, but what "saves" him a little bit is that it was also in a particular situation. Just days before I thought we got Suarez for a fantastic deal, I believed that would be one of our best buys in modern times. Suarez sort of saved that period, that was a fantastic deal.

But Downing is special in my books because for years we craved for a dangerous winger who can beat players and get goals. We had money (finally those "£20m" for one player), time to think and we lacked that type of player for so, so long. We go out and buy someone who, albeit a solid player, just doesn't have that ability or even character. Wasn't even used like we needed at Villa. He didn't I know he had a good final spell under Rodgers, but dear me how did we end up with Downing of all people, I'll never know. Clean player in possession, okay fella, but absolutely nothing more than that. No ability, no end product, no imagination, just seemed like a "pick up wages, sweat a bit and go home" type of dead bloke.

So I'd say Carroll was the worst reaction even in a difficult situation, but Downing was the worst planned big signing for me.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
We have to separate the worst signing from the worst player. Not the same.

It's between Carroll and Downing for me, considering the whole package and how I immediately felt (sometimes I got it horribly wrong the opposite way, but with these it was clear from the start).

Carroll because it was initially a shock, something completely different, for a massive price, but what "saves" him a little bit is that it was also in a particular situation. Just days before I thought we got Suarez for a fantastic deal, I believed that would be one of our best buys in modern times. Suarez sort of saved that period, that was a fantastic deal.

But Downing is special in my books because for years we craved for a dangerous winger who can beat players and get goals. We had money (finally those "£20m" for one player), time to think and we lacked that type of player for so, so long. We go out and buy someone who, albeit a solid player, just doesn't have that ability or even character. Wasn't even used like we needed at Villa. He didn't I know he had a good final spell under Rodgers, but dear me how did we end up with Downing of all people, I'll never know. Clean player in possession, okay fella, but absolutely nothing more than that. No ability, no end product, no imagination, just seemed like a "pick up wages, sweat a bit and go home" type of dead bloke.

So I'd say Carroll was the worst reaction even in a difficult situation, but Downing was the worst planned big signing for me.
On the previous forum I posted on, we even coined an expression for a particular manoeuvre - "doing a Downing". This was when a player would make a run, receive the ball, immediately shit his pants and play the safest possible pass back to a player way behind him.

Needless to say, Stewie was a master at this particular move.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
If the criteria is outlay versus output, surely Lazar Markovic is the outstanding candidate? £20m and did fuck all.
He had attractive cut glass ankles though.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
We've probably done a few of these down the years, but in honour of this thread's subject, the Liverpool Wrong'uns XI:

Itandje

Degen, Babb, Piechnik, Konchesky

Poulsen, Diao

Diouf, Cole, Jovanovic

Carroll

Bench: Bogdan, Josemi, Nunez, Cheyrou, Markovic, Aspas, Benteke

Manager: Roy Hodgson

There's no way that team isn't being relegated :ROFLMAO:
Surely Phil Babb was better than Martin Skrtel?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
£20m for less than 20 league appearances, one goal, barely able to play 90 minutes, two loans for which we probably paid a good chunk of his wages and then left for nothing.

He might not be the worst player we've bought but he's one of the worst signings we've made.

Andy Carroll may have been shit but he at least gave us those moments against Blackburn and Everton. Aquilani made zero impact whatsoever.
Nope no way doesn't even make the list, him not being played was quite often nothing to do with him or his ability and us fucking up the transfers/loans wasnt either, he played well whenever he played. He had almost as many goal contributions from CM in 28 games as Diouf had in 8 and he was our number 9. Aquilanis biggest crime was being the main scapegoat for what went wrong that season. When he played we had top 4 form when he didn't we had bottom half of table form. On money we've wasted a lot more money on much worse players like we lost more money on Carroll than we ever spent on AA.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
On the previous forum I posted on, we even coined an expression for a particular manoeuvre - "doing a Downing". This was when a player would make a run, receive the ball, immediately shit his pants and play the safest possible pass back to a player way behind him.

Needless to say, Stewie was a master at this particular move.
Usually signing a player for that amount of money brings excitement. I don't think any single fan was thinking, YESSS. We've signed Downing!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Interesting post.

You could look at this from a value perspective - how much we spent and what we go. Andy Carrol, El Hadji Diouf, Markovic, etc

Then you could look at personality - never fitted in - Diouf again, Hodgson, Hicks and Gillet, Itandje etc

Then you could look at expectations - as in were they the missing piece to allow us to kick on - Aquilani, Diouf (again), Robbie Keane (Rafa wanted Gareth Barry which was probably more needed at the time), Cheyrou, Joe Cole, etc etc..

Just crap players - list is huge.

Diouf features in all the lists - he's my worst ever signing. Never fitted our club, should never have been there.

Sweeting

It's El Hadji Diouf for his large (at the time) price tag, the fact we would have signed Anelka had we not bought him, his awful conduct in a Liverpool shirt, unprofessional behaviour off the field, his lack of performances and his continuing character assassination of numerous former Liverpool players.

The only other player who comes close is Charles Itandje for being a useless goalkeeper and someone who found the Hillsborough memorial so boring that he had to mess around the whole time. Thankfully the 19 year old he was trying to distract (Damian Plessis) was much more professional.

Sweeting

We've probably done a few of these down the years, but in honour of this thread's subject, the Liverpool Wrong'uns XI:

Itandje

Degen, Babb, Piechnik, Konchesky

Poulsen, Diao

Diouf, Cole, Jovanovic

Carroll

Bench: Bogdan, Josemi, Nunez, Cheyrou, Markovic, Aspas, Benteke

Manager: Roy Hodgson

There's no way that team isn't being relegated :ROFLMAO:
In fairness to Degen he was a free agent and he did have that one excellent game for us at home to Tottenham when we were really understrength. I think he played RW (up against Bale) with Kuyt upfront.

Limiescouse

If it had been a poll for worst personality he’d be on the list but although he was and still is a proper wanker he did have some ability.
He scored only about 5 goals in his entire liverpool career. He was shit and he was a c***. In the seasons he was here, Sami scored more than he did. He was the signing to tip us over the edge, but as a result of how toxic he was and what we missed out on by virtue of signing him we went backwards. There aren't many times you can point to a single transfer as the reason a manager left...maybe Aquilani for Benitez, Collymore for Evans. But this is cut and dried for Houllier.

For pretty much every other player that could be mentioned there are mitigating factors. Aquilani was clearly talented, he just couldnt get fit. It's not Konchesky's fault that Hodgson only had mistable aspirations. Carroll tried hard when he was available and gave us good moments. There is literally not a single defense for Diouff. He was shit. He was a terrible person even his team mates hated. His signing stopped us getting Anelka who had just started his mellowing out, quietly effective phase of his career. And he took no ownership of any of this. He almost seemed to revel in how fucking awful he was.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

£20m for less than 20 league appearances, one goal, barely able to play 90 minutes, two loans for which we probably paid a good chunk of his wages and then left for nothing.

He might not be the worst player we've bought but he's one of the worst signings we've made.
It's a good shout as it represents one of the factors that has to be considered - the opportunity cost. This was a summer we lost Suarez and then spent the time after Alexis turned us down complaining we had no money to buy a replacement. That was precisely because we spent 20 million on a punt on a kid we just didnt need. Had we had that 20 million still in the coffers we wouldnt ave been stuck with a choice of Etoo vs Mario.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It's a good shout as it represents one of the factors that has to be considered - the opportunity cost. This was a summer we lost Suarez and then spent the time after Alexis turned us down complaining we had no money to buy a replacement. That was precisely because we spent 20 million on a punt on a kid we just didnt need. Had we had that 20 million still in the coffers we wouldnt ave been stuck with a choice of Etoo vs Mario.
You talking about Markovic right? Think he was still talking Aquilani. But I agree with you if its about Markovic.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Mad as it sounds, he really wasn't. Think he was a record signing for a defender at the time, as well.
Just remember him being an England international and expensive. Will admit that I was more interested in cars and girls at the time....

jaffod

We payed £270,000 for Frank McGarvey in 1979 and he never kicked a ball for us. Not sure what that equates to in today's money but we did get our money back on him.
Can't believe Balotelli hasn't been mentioned either.
But I suppose for the combination of cost, personality and being shit it has to be Diouf.

Limiescouse

Just remember him being an England international and expensive. Will admit that I was more interested in cars and girls at the time....
Ireland.

It is a mark of how it didn't go as planned when despite being a record transfer for a defender you leave a side years later with a reputation of still not being able to defend, and your best moment was wrapping your nuts around the goal post.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
It's obviously Diouf. By a lot.

But in terms of the build up and the expectations vs. what we saw when they got here, Cisse was a huge let down for me. Definitely not the worst signing ever, but maybe one of the biggest let downs. I think we knew he was coming for a year before he arrived and all I remember reading and hearing was a young French hot shot with blistering pace. We had limited funds and I think he cost about the whole budget. He was pretty quick. Not sure about all the rest. After watching a few games- what was all the hype about?

All the rest of the French contingent (Bruno, Diomede, etc. etc.) weren't as bad in my book because there was no build up before they arrived. We signed who? From where? And they are the next ..... Cool. But then they never played and were easily forgotten. The Cisse transfer had some build up to it so we knew long before he arrived that he was coming, and was another class of player based on his cost, and lead to increased expectations and scrutiny. Probably a bit hard on him but he just seemed to be immediately another mediocre expensive player.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

But in terms of the build up and the expectations vs. what we saw when they got here, Cisse was a huge let down for me. Definitely not the worst signing ever, but maybe one of the biggest let downs.
That's a fair point. It was made worse as the expectations were ramped with a really nice goal on his debut (against Spurs?).

One thing we have to remember with him though is he was bought by Ged but didn't arrive until Rafa was in place with a vision for a completely style of football. He was very clearly a better stylistic fit for the more simplistic way we would have played had Houllier still been in the job, and despite that he seemingly still committed to doing what it was Rafa asked of him. Even showing Kuyt the way of being moved to a hard working runner on the right rather than CF. He also had a horrific injury half way through that first season that threatened his career, and still managed to get back in a matter of months to play a key role in the CL win. Under the circumstances he left with a very respectable goal return.

Last edited:

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Ireland.

It is a mark of how it didn't go as planned when despite being a record transfer for a defender you leave a side years later with a reputation of still not being able to defend, and your best moment was wrapping your nuts around the goal post.
My bad, I did say I had my eye off the ball ;) He was born in Lambeth though.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Diouf, Ballotelli as players, having looked at the evidence posted.
Konchesky, Poulson, Voronin were piss poor as well.
Paul Stewart from Spurs had potential written all over the transfer, but he was dreadful during his Liverpool career.

But the overall worst for me was Ruddock. He was a decent player, but his trick with the pound coin on the pitch laughed in the face of everyone that ever paid a penny related to the club. Absolute knob.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
That's a fair point. It was made worse by his really nice in the first goal (against Spurs?). One thing we have to remember with him is he was bought by Ged but didn't arrive until Rafa was in place with a vision for a completely style of football. Cisse was very clearly a better stylistic fit for the more simplistic way we would have played had Houllier still been in the job, and despite that he seemingly still committed to doing what it was Rafa asked of him. Even showing Kuyt the way of being moved to a hard working runner on the right rather than CF. He also had a horrific injury half way through that first season that threatened his career, and still managed to get back in a matter of months to play a key role in the CL win. Under the circumstances he left with a very respectable goal return.
Yeah, while he wasn't my favourite player ever by a long shot, he did score 19 goals in his second season, so doesn't deserve a mention in this discussion imo.

Limiescouse

But the overall worst for me was Ruddock. He was a decent player, but his trick with the pound coin on the pitch laughed in the face of everyone that ever paid a penny related to the club. Absolute knob.
I think one of the issues with Ruddock is he was the dressing room leader in the attitude that represented the main difference between us and Utd at that time. In conversations with Barnes and Fowler, Ive seen Gary Neville admit that even they didnt think there was any difference between the teams in talent in the mid 90s. However, the Utd lads knew they were more professional ,and over the course of a season that would show. Neither Barnes nor Fowler were able to disagree. That is down to more than one player, and has to fall on Evans to significant degree, but no matter what the manager thinks that HAS to come from the players. It was never going to happen at Liverpool with Ruddock as a key figure.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
That's a fair point. It was made worse by his really nice in the first goal (against Spurs?). One thing we have to remember with him is he was bought by Ged but didn't arrive until Rafa was in place with a vision for a completely style of football. Cisse was very clearly a better stylistic fit for the more simplistic way we would have played had Houllier still been in the job, and despite that he seemingly still committed to doing what it was Rafa asked of him. Even showing Kuyt the way of being moved to a hard working runner on the right rather than CF. He also had a horrific injury half way through that first season that threatened his career, and still managed to get back in a matter of months to play a key role in the CL win. Under the circumstances he left with a very respectable goal return.
I can still hear the crack. Hideous injury but he was back amazingly quickly as I remember.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
It's obviously Diouf. By a lot.

But in terms of the build up and the expectations vs. what we saw when they got here, Cisse was a huge let down for me. Definitely not the worst signing ever, but maybe one of the biggest let downs. I think we knew he was coming for a year before he arrived and all I remember reading and hearing was a young French hot shot with blistering pace. We had limited funds and I think he cost about the whole budget. He was pretty quick. Not sure about all the rest. After watching a few games- what was all the hype about?

All the rest of the French contingent (Bruno, Diomede, etc. etc.) weren't as bad in my book because there was no build up before they arrived. We signed who? From where? And they are the next ..... Cool. But then they never played and were easily forgotten. The Cisse transfer had some build up to it so we knew long before he arrived that he was coming, and was another class of player based on his cost, and lead to increased expectations and scrutiny. Probably a bit hard on him but he just seemed to be immediately another mediocre expensive player.
Cisse just seemed to stand on the half way line then use his pace to outsource t defenders running into through balls kicked over the top of the midfield. I went to the old Upton Park once and he did this for 90 minutes to no avail. He would have been a great Sunday league player though, running against hungover fat blokes in defence.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Cisse might not have hit the heights that were expected but he was a good player with a good attitude. He had a terrible time with injury but scored 1 in 3, scored a cracker in an FA Cup final and a penalty in a Champions League final so doesn't deserve to be in the same discussions as Diouf, Balotelli etc. Ryan Babel is another who falls in the same category as Cisse.

Carroll, Downing, Markovic and Aquilani are the biggest wastes of money but Aquilani was actually a really good footballer. Carroll had ability but not the mentality to make it at the top of the game. Downing was shit and a shithouse. Markovic bigged himself up as a mentality monster but turned out to be lazy and unambitious.

I would go for Diouf, Balotelli or Carroll. Carroll the best of the lot but also the most expensive. Diouf it is.

Special mentions to Kewell, Zenden, Mark Gonzalez and Joe Cole. More hyped up players who were a massive let down. At least Bolo tried.

Last edited:

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
I think one of the issues with Ruddock is he was the dressing room leader in the attitude that represented the main difference between us and Utd at that time. In conversations with Barnes and Fowler, Ive seen Gary Neville admit that even they didnt think there was any difference between the teams in talent in the mid 90s. However, the Utd lads knew they were more professional ,and over the course of a season that would show. Neither Barnes nor Fowler were able to disagree. That is down to more than one player, and has to fall on Evans to significant degree, but no matter what the manager thinks that HAS to come from the players. It was never going to happen at Liverpool with Ruddock as a key figure.
Ruddick scored the equaliser when we drew with united having been 3.0 down at home. He got properly cracked on the head in doing so as well. You can forgive him a lot for that.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Yeah, while he wasn't my favourite player ever by a long shot, he did score 19 goals in his second season, so doesn't deserve a mention in this discussion imo.
Didn't look up his stats before posting, I certainly didn't recall that! Wiki has 9 in the league, 2 cup, 6 continental, and 2 'other'.

It's hard on the lad, he's certainly not worst ever, I just thought he was gonna come in and look like Torres did (obviously Torres came later, but I was expecting that sort of impact). Part of it was my age, part of it was early internet transfer 'hype', and his goal scoring record in French league. He suffered a horrific injury, but the expectation of what kind of player we had signed was already kind of muted.

Sorry to slander his good name by bringing him up in this thread.