Who was the worst Liverpool signing ever ? - a quick poll

Who was the worst Liverpool signing ever ?

• Jimmy carter

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Nicky tanner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sean dundee

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Torbrn piechnik

• Istvan Kozma

• Frobe kippe

• Paul konchensky

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Jean Michael ferri

• David speedie

• None of the above

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • El Hadji Diouf

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • Sir Andrew of Carroll

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Cisse might not have hit the heights that were expected but he was a good player with a good attitude, doesn't deserve to be anywhere near a discussion with the likes of Diouf and Balotelli. Ryan Babel is another who falls in the same category as Cisse.

Carroll, Downing, Markovic and Aquilani are the biggest wastes of money but Aquilani was actually a really good footballer. Carroll had ability but not the mentality to make it at the top of the game. Downing was shit and a shithouse. Markovic bigged himself up as a mentality monster but turned out to be lazy and unambitious.

I would go for Diouf, Balotelli or Carroll. Carroll the best of the lot but also the most expensive. Diouf it is.

Special mentions to Kewell, Zenden, Mark Gonzalez and Joe Cole. More hyped up players who were a massive let down. At least Bolo tried.
I think joe Cole was ok but like Kewell a martyr to injury.

Limiescouse

Ruddick scored the equaliser when we drew with united having been 3.0 down at home. He got properly cracked on the head in doing so as well. You can forgive him a lot for that.
Yeah it's a memorable moment, and to a degree that is what football is about. I still remember exactly what I was doing when it happened (refusing to speak to my girlfriend on the phone). However, we'd have had more of them had we had a CB with the professionalism of Carra at that time rather than a professional piss head who only got himself up to play in the big matches. So, to that point, you cant point to good performances, or even just good moments against Utd, because it's the other 363 days of the year that win you titles. Those were the days when he just wasnt at the races enough.

He also defended pathetically on their first goal. Barnes was left having to defend Bruce in large part because Ruddock was absolutely no where.

Last edited:

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
At the time I liked Ruddock. But as years went on I realised he was a knob. That thing with the coin summed him up. Disgraceful he played for us as long as he did. Terrible attitude for a professional player. But hey, he tells a great story the prick.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
We've probably done a few of these down the years, but in honour of this thread's subject, the Liverpool Wrong'uns XI:

Itandje

Degen, Babb, Piechnik, Konchesky

Poulsen, Diao

Diouf, Cole, Jovanovic

Carroll

Bench: Bogdan, Josemi, Nunez, Cheyrou, Markovic, Aspas, Benteke

Manager: Roy Hodgson

There's no way that team isn't being relegated :ROFLMAO:
Igor Biscan? Or am I pressing my luck?

In all seriousness though, even the worst signings can't possibly compare to the level of shitness and cuntiness of Diouf.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
At the time I liked Ruddock. But as years went on I realised he was a knob. That thing with the coin summed him up. Disgraceful he played for us as long as he did. Terrible attitude for a professional player. But hey, he tells a great story the prick.
Like every player, every signing I wanted him to be brilliant. The goal vs Man U epitomised him. Momentvof magic after a largely crap display. He was overweight and disinterested. A wannabee hardman.

jaffod

I always felt a bit sorry for Carroll and Benteke. Just bad fits in our system. There was a time when Benteke was being used as a link man until he got subbed and then we'd resort to playing crosses into the box to midgets. Could never understand it.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
The thing with Diouf is also that besides being an uneffective forward and having a bad character, he became the living symbol of Houillier's downfall which immediately started as soon as he came into the club. In 2002, we had finished second in the league behind the Arsenal invincibles, everyone was positive about the new season. Anelka had left, and replacing him with that bad apple was really Ged's major mistake which led to everything falling apart during the two next seasons (that and forcing Fowler out of the club six months earlier), leading the club to remove him and start a new cycle with Rafa.

Unsurprisingly, Rafa fucked him off on loan as soon as he came into the club.

epsomred

Ad-free Member
Igor Biscan? Or am I pressing my luck?

In all seriousness though, even the worst signings can't possibly compare to the level of shitness and cuntiness of Diouf.
No just fuck off, this is my thread and Igor references not allowed :)

rab

Nope no way doesn't even make the list, him not being played was quite often nothing to do with him or his ability and us fucking up the transfers/loans wasnt either, he played well whenever he played. He had almost as many goal contributions from CM in 28 games as Diouf had in 8 and he was our number 9. Aquilanis biggest crime was being the main scapegoat for what went wrong that season. When he played we had top 4 form when he didn't we had bottom half of table form. On money we've wasted a lot more money on much worse players like we lost more money on Carroll than we ever spent on AA.
Well it's opinions and he'd definitely be up there for me based on his fee, lack of contribution and resale value. £20m ish quid and we paid his wages to play two years somewhere else before giving him up for nothing. At least with Carroll we got a decent loan fee and some money back from his sale to reinvest.

won it at-a-turk stadium

TIA Regular Simpsons quoter
Aquliani deserves a mention. The whole transfer was a mess, even more than the panic buy of Andy Carroll.

Serie A already had a reputation of not being great at adapting to the Premier League so we bought someone we knew had a serious injury

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Aquliani deserves a mention. The whole transfer was a mess, even more than the panic buy of Andy Carroll.

Serie A already had a reputation of not being great at adapting to the Premier League so we bought someone we knew had a serious injury
It was Rafa, without a pot to piss in courtesy of G&H, trying to maximise the bang for his buck - he said at the time we were effectively paying half Aquilani's worth due to the injury, and if he'd been fit there was no way we could have afforded him.

Made a kind of sense, getting a £30m+ player for half that, just a shame his injury was bad enough it probably needed that whole season to recover from fully.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Lots of those were poor signings, Dundee couldn't run let alone play football. In terms of fees paid relative to what we got out of them then Aquliaini and Markovic are the standouts. I'd put Balotelli in that bracket too. Lots of "bad fits" bought over the years. But those guys could actually play football, I turned 50 recently and even with a gimpy knee I'm still more athletic than Dundee was when he signed. He waddled, he didn't run.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Well it's opinions and he'd definitely be up there for me based on his fee, lack of contribution and resale value. £20m ish quid and we paid his wages to play two years somewhere else before giving him up for nothing. At least with Carroll we got a decent loan fee and some money back from his sale to reinvest.
But if you're just going on the finances Carroll lost us more money, the only reason we got some back on Carroll was he cost us more than double. Plus the wages would have been bigger too. At least Aquilani was a model pro not hurting himself falling off bar stools when already injured and other shenanigans. Carroll was a CF bought to play CF, was never all that good, didn't play all that well on loan, lost us about £20 million plus wages, never wanted to be here and didn't do his best. Aquilani was an attacking centre-mid bought to replace a deep lying playmaker, wasn't played sometimes when he was fit/available due to an internal war at the club, actually played well when on the pitch, played well whilst on loan, lost us just over £10 million (due mostly to our club being mugged off by Italian clubs playing us for chumps) plus wages, wanted to be here and worked hard to try and make it work (knuckled down and did well and impressed at every preseason he was with us but inexplicably never given another chance).

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Diouf was embarrasing as a character and also a mistake which cost some money. I wouldn't say he was the worst player. I agree we should've gone for Anelka or a proper winger.

Cisse was expensive, but yeah he wasn't the worst signing. He was another one in line of not good enough transfer records for us. Until Torres came and changed that. Simply bad timing because if it was up to Rafa, I think he would've gone for more of a target man instead. The hype over Cisse was huge it must be said, he was this extravagant young goalscorer from France with pace and power (fans will always buy into that). Good guy, colorful character (literally), but a bit stupid and too wild technically and tactically. I remember he used to blast 1v1 chances. Okay, he had two major injuries, played on the right a lot in 05/06, scored 19 goals, but he certainly wasn't as good as we heard what was coming from Auxerre.

Zenden? Nah. Bit of a boring past-it player (good pro off the pitch, multilingual like Yossi, so could create a bond with a lot of players), but was on a free and a silent one. I also think Voronin wasn't so catastrophic. He was another flop on a free, but as a player I thought we've seen worse.

Mark Gonzalez did cost a few bobs, but I think the little hype was more that it dragged on and we couldn't want to see who was this young apparently exciting winger (you only have to mention Speedy Gonzalez in an article and fans will get excited, like they did with Cisse).

Kewell had some good spells for us, unfortunately never fit enough. Quality footballer though, hence why we were a bit more patient with him at a time when... well, we needed quality footballers, while being creative in the market.

Joe Cole was well past it when he came, even though I was excited to have him here (Chelsea were probably aware he wasn't the same player anymore, like it was apparent in Owen's and Torres' final season with us). As I was with Robbie Keane. Who wasn't a bad player. And perhaps Rafa should've kept him until next summer (I understood at the time why he did and his reason), but that was more about hype vs flop.

Biscan was not good enough at CB under Houllier after playing literally every midfield position. Solid under Rafa when he came in from Deportivo away all the way through both games against Leverkusen, both games against Juve and Chelsea semi at home when Xabi was suspended. Important last minute header against Bolton as well. He did cost some money as well, at the time when it seemed like we were packed with central midfielders, so I wondered why went for him.

Balotelli is simply a simbol of a sad story after that 13/14 season. Ending up with him or an old Eto'o to "replace" Suarez... that was just sad, nothing else. Tell you what, Borini was another one. Rodgers made it sound like he was this exciting young project. Also wasn't cheap, but what... he could run all day and that's it.

I was surprised when I first heard about Aquilani. I agree we made a mistake there, though you could see he was a classy player. Technically fantastic, always busy, good movement, linking the game, good attacking the box. Sometimes a bit soft, if he was used deeper in a team that lacked balance. Like a poor man's Fabregas, let's say. I hope Keita doesn't end up being a flop like him. Rafa did have his few mistakes, but he always needed to be creative and we never had good enough backing from the board. I always felt we were close to our maximum, but needed more money.

Limiescouse

The issue with Aquilani was mostly how critical it was that we got the move right given the importance Xabi had to the team. Without him we had a massive hole to fill in the middle of the pitch, and anyone who doubted that soon saw just how true that was when the guy we bought wasnt capable of doing it. We didnt get it right and it ultimately resulted in the end of Rafa. I think it is one of those cases where the size of the failure is bigger than his individual failure. When you contrast that with Carroll, it's kind of a 180. It was a bad move that cost us a lot of money, but we were largely able to accommodate the failure because of Suarez.

Limiescouse

It was Rafa, without a pot to piss in courtesy of G&H, trying to maximise the bang for his buck - he said at the time we were effectively paying half Aquilani's worth due to the injury, and if he'd been fit there was no way we could have afforded him.

Made a kind of sense, getting a £30m+ player for half that, just a shame his injury was bad enough it probably needed that whole season to recover from fully.
It has also been reported that it was a cash flow thing as well that made us gravitate in our targets towards clubs who owed us money. That was also reportedly one of the reasons we got Johnson from Porstmouth.

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Also worth pointing out we were a much better side when Aquilani did play as it meant a midfield 3 of him, Gerrard plus either Mascherano or Lucas (playing both killed us). In games Aquilani started we picked up 2.22 points per game equivalent to 84 points, enough for 3rd place (a point off 2nd) that season. Instead we picked up 1.66 points per game and finished on 63 points in 7th. If you actually ignore the games Aquilani started we actually picked up only 1.48 points per game. The difference between playing another creative midfielder in that CM that season and not was night and day. Not down to just him and his ability of course but that certainly helped as he picked up a decent 6 assists and a goal in those 9 games. What killed us that season was how often we played Lucas and Mascherano together in a two man base. Lucas had potential at that stage and Masch was brilliant at what he did but neither could really do even half of what Alonso used to do with the ball in that role. Trying to play the same way would be like Klopp having to replace Salah with Didi Hamann. Just completely awful substitute. Rafa got so much stick at the start of the season for it but at the time everyone was injured and it was what he had to go with in CM. Press slaughtered him and Lucas for it (when, again Rafa had no fucking choice) so Rafa then stuck to his guns and supported Lucas to show them all wrong. There was nothing wrong with using Lucas just, whenever possible, he should have only played Lucas OR Mascherano. Both were fine if partnered with Gerrard plus one more attacking/creative option (like Aquilani or Benayoun). But hindsight is a wonderful thing and maybe dropping Lucas would have done damage in other ways.

Dave-D

We've probably done a few of these down the years, but in honour of this thread's subject, the Liverpool Wrong'uns XI:

Itandje

Degen, Babb, Piechnik, Konchesky

Poulsen, Diao

Diouf, Cole, Jovanovic

Carroll

Bench: Bogdan, Josemi, Nunez, Cheyrou, Markovic, Aspas, Benteke

Manager: Roy Hodgson

There's no way that team isn't being relegated :ROFLMAO:
Never mind relegation, that team would struggle to see out a full season. After three games fans would give up going and the club would have no income and be liquidated

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Never mind relegation, that team would struggle to see out a full season. After three games fans would give up going and the club would have no income and be liquidated
Or they'd all injure themselves and we wouldn't have anyone left to play the games! :LOL:

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
A special mention for Milan Jovanovic too. Another dickhead who was awful at football.
I remember him being fucking aweful at football, but not much else.

Was he that much of a dickhead?

Limiescouse

What killed us that season was how often we played Lucas and Mascherano together in a two man base. Lucas had potential at that stage and Masch was brilliant at what he did but neither could really do even half of what Alonso used to do with the ball in that role. Trying to play the same way would be like Klopp having to replace Salah with Didi Hamann. Just completely awful substitute. Rafa got so much stick at the start of the season for it but at the time everyone was injured and it was what he had to go with in CM. Press slaughtered him and Lucas for it (when, again Rafa had no fucking choice) so Rafa then stuck to his guns and supported Lucas to show them all wrong. There was nothing wrong with using Lucas just, whenever possible, he should have only played Lucas OR Mascherano. Both were fine if partnered with Gerrard plus one more attacking/creative option (like Aquilani or Benayoun). But hindsight is a wonderful thing and maybe dropping Lucas would have done damage in other ways.
The squad had become so thin that he didnt really have any other option. There was a 20 year old Spearing. Fabio Aurelio (if fit, which wasnt often by then). Other than that it was pulling a more attacking player into a more structured midfield role that they had no experience with. That was never going to be Rafa's solution. But yes, Masch and Lucas together was terrible in terms of doing anything productive with the ball. It was soul crushing to watch.

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Jovanovic,Voronin, and Joe Cole were piss poor but free,whereas Markovic was piss poor and we wasted £20mill on that twunt,omg just thinking of the players from the end of Rafa to Roy hodgson era is making me feel ill,we had more than our fair share of shite bought in those years.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Lots of posters have said Diouff but only two votes so far?

epsomred

Ad-free Member
Lots of posters have said Diouff but only two votes so far?
I think he was added to the poll after a lot of people complained he wasn’t there so they need to go back and vote again.