Who was the worst Liverpool signing ever ? - a quick poll

Who was the worst Liverpool signing ever ?

• Jimmy carter

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Nicky tanner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sean dundee

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Torbrn piechnik

• Istvan Kozma

• Frobe kippe

• Paul konchensky

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Jean Michael ferri

• David speedie

• None of the above

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • El Hadji Diouf

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • Sir Andrew of Carroll

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Worst "player" to sign is Dundee........it's not even a debate IMO. Running was beyond him, never mind kicking a ball
Worst "person" to sign is Diouf..............hands down a nasty fucker at the time and still is.
Worst "value for money"........take your pick.....Caroll, Markovic, Aquilani, Balotelli
Worst "wrong signing" is harder but I'd go for not so super Mario. He could do it but wasn't arsed. I hated the sight of him.

We have signed some right lemons over the years so competition is fierce trying to say who was the worst.

rab

But if you're just going on the finances Carroll lost us more money, the only reason we got some back on Carroll was he cost us more than double. Plus the wages would have been bigger too. At least Aquilani was a model pro not hurting himself falling off bar stools when already injured and other shenanigans. Carroll was a CF bought to play CF, was never all that good, didn't play all that well on loan, lost us about £20 million plus wages, never wanted to be here and didn't do his best. Aquilani was an attacking centre-mid bought to replace a deep lying playmaker, wasn't played sometimes when he was fit/available due to an internal war at the club, actually played well when on the pitch, played well whilst on loan, lost us just over £10 million (due mostly to our club being mugged off by Italian clubs playing us for chumps) plus wages, wanted to be here and worked hard to try and make it work (knuckled down and did well and impressed at every preseason he was with us but inexplicably never given another chance).
Carroll was also a shite buy. But he broke Everton hearts at Wembley and that was lovely.

Aquilani did nothing of note and we had to give him away because no one would pay anything for him.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Carroll was also a shite buy. But he broke Everton hearts at Wembley and that was lovely.

Aquilani did nothing of note and we had to give him away because no one would pay anything for him.
Surely by the reasons you give Markovic would be ahead? Worse player, did less on the pitch, lost us as much? It is just because Aquilani is somehow associated with the loss of Rafa. The problems that season were not limited to Aquilani and even if he'd been a success Rafa still would have been stabbed in the back by the crooks and idiots that were running us. Its untrue and unfair to place the blame against Aquilani. Its also not doing Rafa justice to somehow try and pretend there was a way his job could have been saved.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
That poll isn't nearly long enough, unfortunately. Threads like this make me even more thankful for what Liverpool have and where they are at this moment. I hope we'll see many more like Van Dijk, Mane or Salah in a Liverpool instead of these duds.

My opinion hasn't changed, at least not that much. Carroll was a wrong guy at the wrong time, his club got an offer that was too good and forced him out, Liverpool thought that he would be as good as Llorente simply because they were of similar build. They ruined his career and wasted about 15 million pounds in the end on that experiment.

Marković was an extremely poor signing because he cost much but came at a pretty bad time (and played for a manager who didn't even want him and didn't know what to do with him and some other players) and after a while wasn't motivated by anything other but money. I also think that club didn't do their homework on him and that not even Klopp would have managed to get something out of him.

Balotelli was another panic signing like Carroll (these panic signings, well, it's all in the word "panic"), a signing like Benteke that you thought "OK, this might work if everything goes to plan" but you know that you're fooling yourself and that nothing about it will go to plan (at least club got their money back for Benteke). Again, it looked like someone at the club didn't do their homework, everyone knew he was everything opposite of Suarez and what Rodgers was starting to create.

Diouf is just a bad guy, literally nothing good to say about him. He'll life his life with a Liverpool-sized chip on his shoulder. Again, a signing that was made on the back of a good season and hype that surrounded him, and quite likely the worst that Liverpool ever made. He's not the epitome of an era but it seemed like Liverpool were signing quite a few players based on their reputation and maybe agent links, rather than on scouting reports.

However, for me, the worst one was Downing. A senior coming into his prime, a guy who was terrorising fullbacks for years and who was about to make the step up in club and international football. A signing that looked well considered and one that I placed a lot of expectations upon, especially as Ashley Young rejected Liverpool for Man United. 20 million pounds for a player who should have been a leader, who was supposed to inspire the side and become the first wide player of note that Liverpool have had since McManaman perhaps, only with much less talent but still with plenty of pace and end product. Instead, Liverpool got a shrinking violet that just stank and went into hiding instead of taking responsibility. Zero goals and zero assists in his debut season, if I'm not mistaken, forcing his new manager to play him at fullback in the next season in order to coax at least some semblance of performance out of him. He never looked like he cared for anything but himself and his pay check, he looked soulless and absent-minded. One tackle and he wasn't in the match anymore, couldn't cross or shoot anymore. Was I glad to see the back of him, although I'd most likely be able to name an eleven consisting of such players - which I probably will do in this thread.

Limiescouse

The most fascinating thing about the Carroll signing is it wasn't a panic buy. The story is Comolli had already lined up a bid for the summer and so just decided to push the transfer through half a season early given the money they had on hand. They figured it would give him time to bed in. In many ways that makes it even worse.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
The most fascinating thing about the Carroll signing is it wasn't a panic buy. The story is Comolli had already lined up a bid for the summer and so just decided to push the transfer through half a season early given the money they had on hand. They figured it would give him time to bed in. In many ways that makes it even worse.
I think Carrol was "hot property" at the time we bought him - but just potential. Just that he wasn't worth anywhere near £35m! Just half that and half it again and maybe that would have been a fair amount. Alan Pardew smirked when he later joked how Newcastle got that much.

Considering we got half the money back for Carrol from West Ham, and we spent the other Torres money on Suarez wasn't too bad piece of business. And remember Chelsea ended up letting Torres go on a 2 year loan which amounted to giving him a free transfer - so that was £50m that Abrahmovic just blew.

From Klopp's signings, I'd say that only Karius hasn't worked out. Keita has shown glimpses but not had a chance to get into the groove. And I'm hoping Minamino gets a goal or an assist very soon - he's had some half chances, but he's one that I would love to see succeed.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
@Nikola always gets my Downing point. I feel you, bro.

:LOL:
Just thinking about him makes me want to bash my head against the wall. I can tolerate players being stupid or greedy, I can't tolerate them not taking the responsibility at that age, under those circumstances!

rab

Surely by the reasons you give Markovic would be ahead? Worse player, did less on the pitch, lost us as much? It is just because Aquilani is somehow associated with the loss of Rafa. The problems that season were not limited to Aquilani and even if he'd been a success Rafa still would have been stabbed in the back by the crooks and idiots that were running us. Its untrue and unfair to place the blame against Aquilani. Its also not doing Rafa justice to somehow try and pretend there was a way his job could have been saved.
Same league as Markovic. Both terrible terrible signings based on cost, lack of production, multiple loan moves and having to shift them on for nothing.

Don't know why you're desperate to defend him or banging on about injustices against Rafa. The lad was shite and that's why he was jibbed off after a year for two loan spells before we found someone to give him away to.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Same league as Markovic. Both terrible terrible signings based on cost, lack of production, multiple loan moves and having to shift them on for nothing.

Don't know why you're desperate to defend him or banging on about injustices against Rafa. The lad was shite and that's why he was jibbed off after a year for two loan spells before we found someone to give him away to.
But that's just the thing he wasn't actually shite. He just wasn't what we needed. He was a good central attacking midfielder who played good for us and enabled the team to play better. He also did well on all his loans, there was a queue of Italian clubs waiting round the block to bend us over and shaft us by taking him on loan with a promise to consider maybe speculating on whether they'd buy him afterwards (for what was ridiculous money for the Italian league at the time). We were stupid as a club that wasn't his fault. But he definitely wasn't shit for us, 9 premier league starts in a debut season marred by injury, politics and team troubles and he still gave 7 goal contributions and saw us win 6 out of 9 with only one loss. If we'd had that form all season twit and twat wouldn't have been able to force out Rafa and we'd have been marveling at our new number 10 with his 4 goals and 24 assists and talking up Gerrards new CM role. We completely fucked up buying the wrong, injured, player for the wrong position and then our recruitment team completely pissed away a real good and useful player. Its quite possibly in our top 3 transfers the club fucked up the most but player wise? No way he's in the same league as Carroll and Downing let alone Diouf and Balotelli.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I'm still convinced Markovic had all the ability in the world.

My jaw dropped when I saw that. Doesn't look as pretty on the replay, but he had everything in his toolbox to be great. Was convinced he just needed a few games and a settling in period and he'd hit a purple patch for us. It makes what he turned into that much worse. Just no desire to do anything. Going on loan and the coaches were amazed at how out of shape he was. All that talent just withered on the vine. Slightly different to the Konchesky's and Paulson's that just were never cut out for it in the first place.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Saw this poll and my head immediately said Konchesky,I'll stick with that but there were some bloody horrible ones apart from him and some didn't even make the list.
For being a total arse though you'd have to give it to Diouf,hands down a proper prick with ears!
Konchesky had nothing going for him,we needed a LB,they dredged him up,and he came with his Mum who was not a happy person.
It was never going to work!

rab

But that's just the thing he wasn't actually shite. He just wasn't what we needed. He was a good central attacking midfielder who played good for us and enabled the team to play better. He also did well on all his loans, there was a queue of Italian clubs waiting round the block to bend us over and shaft us by taking him on loan with a promise to consider maybe speculating on whether they'd buy him afterwards (for what was ridiculous money for the Italian league at the time). We were stupid as a club that wasn't his fault. But he definitely wasn't shit for us, 9 premier league starts in a debut season marred by injury, politics and team troubles and he still gave 7 goal contributions and saw us win 6 out of 9 with only one loss. If we'd had that form all season twit and twat wouldn't have been able to force out Rafa and we'd have been marveling at our new number 10 with his 4 goals and 24 assists and talking up Gerrards new CM role. We completely fucked up buying the wrong, injured, player for the wrong position and then our recruitment team completely pissed away a real good and useful player. Its quite possibly in our top 3 transfers the club fucked up the most but player wise? No way he's in the same league as Carroll and Downing let alone Diouf and Balotelli.
Fine, you win. He was perfect, better than Alonso in many ways and nothing that could be considered a flaw or failing could be attributed to him.

He was so good that we had a queue of Italian clubs hammering down the door to bring him back to Italy and with demand so high there was little we could do to preventing him leaving for the behemoth that was Fioretina for the eye watering fee of £0. He then went on to have a hugely successful career at, *checks Wikipedia, Sporting, Pescara, Sassuolo and Las Palmas.

How did we let him get away.

richieh10

We’ve signed some shit players over the years, players like, for example, konchesky who I thought “he isn’t going to be good enough”

however the players who annoy me the most are the ones who are CLASS, pull on the red shirt and then all of a sudden become Sunday league players compared to their previous form

Kewell - injuries
Carroll - big transfer fee brings big responsibility
Joe Cole - looked classy when younger
Robbie Keane
Ballotelli (thought we could be the ones to sort him out)
Aquilani - never worked out did it.

just to think of a few.

think of there was one signing I despise above all it would have to be Diouf.
he was shit, couldn’t score and was a horrid human being too who takes every opportunity to slag the club off.

just think as well we could have signed Anelka instead of him. I loved Anelka in a Liverpool shirt.

remember a game against blackburn we won 4-3 (I think) and I’m pretty sure he scored the winner, late on in front of the kop. (Might have got some of those details wrong) but we should have signed him that night.

a few months later he wentback to PSG and we signed Diouf

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Fine, you win. He was perfect, better than Alonso in many ways and nothing that could be considered a flaw or failing could be attributed to him.

He was so good that we had a queue of Italian clubs hammering down the door to bring him back to Italy and with demand so high there was little we could do to preventing him leaving for the behemoth that was Fioretina for the eye watering fee of £0. He then went on to have a hugely successful career at, *checks Wikipedia, Sporting, Pescara, Sassuolo and Las Palmas.

Not sure what Aquilani has done to warrant vitriol. He was a very talented footballer but he had fitness issues which effectively prohibited him from having a decent career. The fact that we got nothing in return is a reflection of his injury problems and the club's ineptness at the time rather than his footballing ability.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Now you're just acting like a baby. He had 2 good loans at Juventus and Milan where he did well. Then he went to Fiorentina (a Europa league side at the time threatening to push on to become a Champions League side) for 3 years (15 goals in 105 games from midfield not too shabby) before winding down his career in his 30s. Not too bad for a player who struggled with injuries we've certainly had worse. I'm not saying he was some amazing player but he also wasn't shite. As such he can't come anywhere near someone like Diouf, a number 9 who went a whole season without a goal.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
What was our club ever thinking trying to get the Aquilani money back by selling him to Italian clubs? Just having a look and there was simply no money in Italian football at the time. That first summer all the clubs put together only bought something like 5 players who cost more than 10 million between them! Robinho was the most expensive at 16.2m. How did we ever think someone in that league would be able to give us a chunk of the 18 million back? God we were incompetent then. Should have told him straight up "you're staying at Liverpool unless a team that can actually afford you comes in"!

Limiescouse

What was our club ever thinking trying to get the Aquilani money back by selling him to Italian clubs? Just having a look and there was simply no money in Italian football at the time. That first summer all the clubs put together only bought something like 5 players who cost more than 10 million between them! Robinho was the most expensive at 16.2m. How did we ever think someone in that league would be able to give us a chunk of the 18 million back? God we were incompetent then. Should have told him straight up "you're staying at Liverpool unless a team that can actually afford you comes in"!
It's not like we were ignoring other offers with an insistence on only allowing him to go to Italy. We worked with Italian clubs because they were the only ones interested in taking him on, possibly in part because of the very strong preference of the player. For all the defense of him that has been made on here, it is probably the most salient fact that there just wasn't a market for him once we decided to cut our loses. That may not reflect his pure talent, but it is the best indicator of how little impact he had here, which itself is only real important measure of the success of a transfer. Yes, we all saw moments of promise in him, but he showed too infrequently in the games he played and was available for far too few games. The ultimate result was the sorry end of one of the best managers we've ever had. It may not be Aqualad's "fault" (whatever that means), but the question that was asked was not "which signing pissed away his time with us and consciously fucked us over".

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It's not like we were ignoring other offers with an insistence on only allowing him to go to Italy. We worked with Italian clubs because they were the only ones interested in taking him on, possibly in part because of the very strong preference of the player. For all the defense of him that has been made on here, it is probably the most salient fact that there just wasn't a market for him once we decided to cut our loses. That may not reflect his pure talent, but it is the best indicator of how little impact he had here, which itself is only real important measure of the success of a transfer. Yes, we all saw moments of promise in him, but he showed too infrequently in the games he played and was available for far too few games. The ultimate result was the sorry end of one of the best managers we've ever had. It may not be Aqualad's "fault" (whatever that means), but the question that was asked was not "which signing pissed away his time with us and consciously fucked us over".
You've got more confidence of our ability as a club to sell players back then than I do. Worse players than him were being bought for more money than we ended up getting by Prem and Spanish clubs at the time. We were low on numbers etc too so its not like he'd have been in the way if we'd have said you're here till someone buys you.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
My recollection is that we definitely struggled to move Aquilani on for any meaningful return. That was far more to do with his fitness issues than his talent though. He was an extremely silky player, loved watching him on the ball when he was fit. Unfortunately, that was nowhere near often enough.

Limiescouse

You've got more confidence of our ability as a club to sell players back then than I do. Worse players than him were being bought for more money than we ended up getting by Prem and Spanish clubs at the time. We were low on numbers etc too so its not like he'd have been in the way if we'd have said you're here till someone buys you.
It has nothing to do with my perception of our ability to sell players in general. It is only to do with the lack of serious interest in the player.

rab

Now you're just acting like a baby. He had 2 good loans at Juventus and Milan where he did well. Then he went to Fiorentina (a Europa league side at the time threatening to push on to become a Champions League side) for 3 years (15 goals in 105 games from midfield not too shabby) before winding down his career in his 30s. Not too bad for a player who struggled with injuries we've certainly had worse. I'm not saying he was some amazing player but he also wasn't shite. As such he can't come anywhere near someone like Diouf, a number 9 who went a whole season without a goal.
Could I perhaps just have my opinion without you calling me a baby.

I think, on the basis of cost, who he replaced, what he gave us and the fact we had to give him away and therefore had less money to invest replacing him, he was one of our worst signings in recent memory.

Accept it or don't but he's down there with Carroll and Markovic as terrible business.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Could I perhaps just have my opinion without you calling me a baby.

I think, on the basis of cost, who he replaced, what he gave us and the fact we had to give him away and therefore had less money to invest replacing him, he was one of our worst signings in recent memory.

Accept it or don't but he's down there with Carroll and Markovic as terrible business.
I didn't call you a baby for having a different opinion I aaid you were acting like a baby for your response to "but he wasn't a shite footballer" was:

"Fine, you win. He was perfect, better than Alonso in many ways and nothing that could be considered a flaw or failing could be attributed to him."

Lots of room between shite and perfect. I think he was around Benayoun or Sissoko level when it came to ability. A player that could have been useful to us for more than one season and actually was useful to us whilst here. I liked how he played, he helped us play better when he played for us. Our spending limitations at the club forced us to buy an ill fitted player and our incompetence as a club fucked up what happened with him after that season. But when there are other players who lost us as much or more money, were worse players and worse human beings just can't accept him being anywhere near our worst player. That fair? Or am I not allowed to disagree?

rab

I didn't call you a baby for having a different opinion I aaid you were acting like a baby for your response to "but he wasn't a shite footballer" was:

"Fine, you win. He was perfect, better than Alonso in many ways and nothing that could be considered a flaw or failing could be attributed to him."

Lots of room between shite and perfect. I think he was around Benayoun or Sissoko level when it came to ability. A player that could have been useful to us for more than one season and actually was useful to us whilst here. I liked how he played, he helped us play better when he played for us. Our spending limitations at the club forced us to buy an ill fitted player and our incompetence as a club fucked up what happened with him after that season. But when there are other players who lost us as much or more money, were worse players and worse human beings just can't accept him being anywhere near our worst player. That fair? Or am I not allowed to disagree?
Disagree if you want but when a question asks for opinions, don't tell others theirs is wrong and chuck out insults when they get sick of pointing out how they've formed said opinion.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Disagree if you want but when a question asks for opinions, don't tell others theirs is wrong and chuck out insults when they get sick of pointing out how they've formed said opinion.
But I've answered the points you've made, that's what a debate is. If you just want to post an opinion without people having the chance to argue the opinion or debate the points then maybe a blog instead of a discussion board? You were the one who lost his temper and responded in a silly way.

Red over the water

Lots of ways to measure worst signing.

Absolute worst player? As in, they were just crap?
Or worst for the money we paid? So they were better than some others, but they were still crap because they were a lot worse than expected? And we could have done so much more with the money we wasted on them?
Or worst player because of attitude, character, that sort of thing?

Three categories there, and off the top of my head I’d go Sean Dundee, Andy Carroll, El Hadj Diouf.

Limiescouse

Lots of room between shite and perfect. I think he was around Benayoun or Sissoko level when it came to ability. A player that could have been useful to us for more than one season and actually was useful to us whilst here. I liked how he played, he helped us play better when he played for us. Our spending limitations at the club forced us to buy an ill fitted player and our incompetence as a club fucked up what happened with him after that season.
I have to say, your focus on him being out of position is strange. Like most Italian mids whose primary role is getting on the ball, he was just as fine playing in the Regista or a Trequartista or anywhere in between. His issue was he couldnt get on the pitch because of fitness, and when he did he was only fleetingly helpful. Had he have played more he might have grown into the side, but the end result of his time with us was there was no market for him. You cant sell a player no one wants. We may have been shit in the market at the time, but you cant magic up interest in a player if none exists. He ended up going to a poor Juve side who were willing to take a cheap punt on him, and despite getting pretty much a full season of football under his belt they chose not to keep him. The rest of his career was then also defined by struggling sides (relatively speaking) willing to take a flyer on a cheap talented player in the hope he could refind his Roma form. He only ever did fleetingly and so never ever again became anything more than a Eruopa league player.

Last edited:

rab

But I've answered the points you've made, that's what a debate is. If you just want to post an opinion without people having the chance to argue the opinion or debate the points then maybe a blog instead of a discussion board? You were the one who lost his temper and responded in a silly way.
You haven't "answered" anything, you've just made excuses for him. He cost a fortune, he barely played, was underwhelming when he did play, we twice paid him to play somewhere else and then gave him away for nothing.

None of that is debatable no matter how much you try. Now, please move on.