Who was the worst Liverpool signing ever ? - a quick poll

Who was the worst Liverpool signing ever ?

• Jimmy carter

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Nicky tanner

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sean dundee

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Torbrn piechnik

• Istvan Kozma

• Frobe kippe

• Paul konchensky

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Jean Michael ferri

• David speedie

• None of the above

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • El Hadji Diouf

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • Sir Andrew of Carroll

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Raven

TIA New Signing
Firmly joining the Diouf camp when all things considered although he may not have been the least talented footballer.

To throw in another honourable(???) mention, I'd suggest that Paul Konchesky isn't even the worst Paul we've had. I still cringe at the memory of Paul Stewart's stint at Anfield. An established first division player at Spurs, came on a big transfer fee (you could buy a lot for £2.3m back then); never made the breakthrough and was surplus to requirements but too expensive to offload.
Come to think of it, Paul Walsh (a much better player) had a bit of a rough time with injuries and so on as well. Maybe Sir Kenny should have called his lad Ian, might have been the difference that made him a star player.
Apologies to any Pauls out there.

As for Andy Carroll, we panic bought paying a ridiculous transfer fee (you could buy a lot for £35m back then) for a player who had 1 decent season behind him but really "bang average" would be a compliment. Seems he never hit double figures in a club season again.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Firmly joining the Diouf camp when all things considered although he may not have been the least talented footballer.

To throw in another honourable(???) mention, I'd suggest that Paul Konchesky isn't even the worst Paul we've had. I still cringe at the memory of Paul Stewart's stint at Anfield. An established first division player at Spurs, came on a big transfer fee (you could buy a lot for £2.3m back then); never made the breakthrough and was surplus to requirements but too expensive to offload.
Come to think of it, Paul Walsh (a much better player) had a bit of a rough time with injuries and so on as well. Maybe Sir Kenny should have called his lad Ian, might have been the difference that made him a star player.
Apologies to any Pauls out there.

As for Andy Carroll, we panic bought paying a ridiculous transfer fee (you could buy a lot for £35m back then) for a player who had 1 decent season behind him but really "bang average" would be a compliment. Seems he never hit double figures in a club season again.
I think Paul Stewart had a lot of problems in his personal life at the time. You’d have thought the club would have stayed well clear of him knowing this.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I have to say, your focus on him being out of position is strange. Like most Italian mids whose primary role is getting on the ball, he was just as fine playing in the Regista or a Trequartista or anywhere in between. His issue was he couldnt get on the pitch because of fitness, and when he did he was only fleetingly helpful. Had he have played more he might have grown into the side, but the end result of his time with us was there was no market for him. You cant sell a player no one wants. We may have been shit in the market at the time, but you cant magic up interest in a player if none exists. He ended up going to a poor Juve side who were willing to take a cheap punt on him, and despite getting pretty much a full season of football under his belt they chose not to keep him. The rest of his career was then also defined by struggling sides (relatively speaking) willing to take a flyer on a cheap talented player in the hope he could refind his Roma form. He only ever did fleetingly and so never ever again became anything more than a Eruopa league player.
Bit revisionist, we could have kept him if there really was no interest but as he joined Italian clubs on loans with options to buy (at unrealistic prices for Italian clubs) quite early in summers we will never know if we could have sold him, its a bit unrealistic to think absolutely nobody would have bought him though. He finished second and played champions league getting to quarter finals whilst with AC Milan. He finished 4th and played Europa League each season with Fioretina. They really weren't that bad they were challenging Champions League spots. We, meanwhile, unfortunately did a lot worse. Only making European places in the league 2 times in those 5 seasons and only playing in the Champions League once. So maybe he was our level at the time? I'm not some Aquilani fan boy or anything but I think that he was a far better player than some are making out on here. Compared to the likes of some he shouldn't even be in contention when we had strikers who went whole seasons without a goal.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I think Paul Stewart had a lot of problems in his personal life at the time. You’d have thought the club would have stayed well clear of him knowing this.
You can say that again. He was one of those who came out a couple of years ago saying that he'd been serially sexually abused as a child by his coach. The club wouldn't have known that at the time, but he was fighting some demons, that's for sure.

Limiescouse

Bit revisionist, we could have kept him if there really was no interest but as he joined Italian clubs on loans with options to buy (at unrealistic prices for Italian clubs) quite early in summers we will never know if we could have sold him, its a bit unrealistic to think absolutely nobody would have bought him though.
Right, why didnt we choose to? Because he'd been a total flop from a playing perspective (partly for reasons beyond his control) who even beyond his injuries couldn't get his shit together. He wasn't malicious, he just wasn't settling in. I remember him having multiple driving violations and even getting ticketed again at the police station in an attempt to resolve his multitude of violations. His English was zero and he had so much difficulty fitting in in England that he just wanted to go back to Italy.

And FWIW, no one is saying he was a bad player. Just that he was an utter failure of a transfer. He didnt play, he didnt fit in so wanted to leave but no one wanted to buy him. That is objective reality. You can make excuses about us being bad in the transfer market as a reason to defend the lack of interest in him, but the fact is that year on year after we tried to cut our losses he was available but no one ever again paid decent money for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: rab

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Right, why didnt we choose to? Because he'd been a total flop from a playing perspective (partly for reasons beyond his control) who even beyond his injuries couldn't get his shit together. He wasn't malicious, he just wasn't settling in. I remember him having multiple driving violations and even getting ticketed again at the police station in an attempt to resolve his multitude of violations. His English was zero and he had so much difficulty fitting in in England that he just wanted to go back to Italy.

He didnt play, he didnt fit in and wanted to leave and no one wanted to buy him. Had we jumped the gun on finalizing a loan deal once, if there was legitimate interest in him it would have shown. There wasnt.
His first loan happened because Juventus pinky promis swore they'd pay over 13 million for him, which, as I've said, was completely unrealistic for Italian football at the time! We were idiots.

Limiescouse

His first loan happened because Juventus pinky promis swore they'd pay over 13 million for him, which, as I've said, was completely unrealistic for Italian football at the time! We were idiots.
An option, not a commitment, hence it not happening. And it was in the ballpark of other signings they made at that time. Juve simply chose not to go ahead because they seemingly felt their money was spent better elsewhere. That put him back on the market, and despite a full season i the shop window for Juve no one else wanted to buy him either.

Zinedine Biscan

An option, not a commitment, hence it not happening. And it was in the ballpark of other signings they made at that time. Juve simply chose not to go ahead because they seemingly felt their money was spent better elsewhere. That put him back on the market, and despite a full season i the shop window for Juve no one else wanted to buy him either.
I think our desperation to do a deal was probably too palpable, clubs knew we were basically over a barrel and there was no need to put in an offer when they could get him in for a season for free, as would happen subsequently again the following year. Not saying he'd have sold like hot cakes had we played it a bit smarter, but equally I think there's more to it than 'nobody wanted him because he was crap'.

Limiescouse

I think our desperation to do a deal was probably too palpable, clubs knew we were basically over a barrel and there was no need to put in an offer when they could get him in for a season for free, as would happen subsequently again the following year. Not saying he'd have sold like hot cakes had we played it a bit smarter, but equally I think there's more to it than 'nobody wanted him because he was crap'.
I haven't called him crap, just that didnt reach those Roma heights again. The most telling thing is that while your idea about Juve and Milan's approach might be true, neither wanted him for a second season. Juve chose to spend their money elsewhere, which they wouldnt have done had he been a real hit. But it was a substantial amount so it is understandable. Milan though...he had 1 year there and they chose not to pursue it any further either, despite him essentially being allowed to go elsewhere that summer for free.

And for fear of the point getting lost, what this goes to demonstrate is it was not just bad decisions about how to use at Liverpool that saw him fail with us, but a reality that he never again played as consistently well as he did at Roma to justify him being seen as a replacement for Xabi.

Reactions: rab

Zinedine Biscan

I haven't called him crap, just that didnt reach those Roma heights again. The most telling thing is that while your idea about Juve and Milan's approach might be true, neither wanted him for a second season. Juve chose to spend their money elsewhere, which they wouldnt have done had he been a real hit. But it was a substantial amount so it is understandable. Milan though...he had 1 year there and they chose not to pursue it any further either, despite him essentially being allowed to go elsewhere that summer for free.

And for fear of the point getting lost, what this goes to demonstrate is it was not just bad decisions about how to use at Liverpool that saw him fail with us, but a reality that he never again played as consistently well as he did at Roma to justify him being seen as a replacement for Xabi.
I don't know about never again, unless you're specifically referring to the loans (which I didn't follow all that closely tbh), but from what I can gather he did pretty well at Fiorentina, the club he signed for permanently after leaving us. Certainly he was playing most games and hitting career-high goal totals there.

The point about his difficulties settling in England is particularly relevant, I think, combined with his pre-existing injury at the time he signed and the fact he was in no way a direct substitute for Shabby given how high up the pitch he preferred to play. For me he'll always be a missed opportunity - a good player who from a combination of circumstances was only fleetingly able to show it for us.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
.....to justify him being seen as a replacement for Xabi.
150% agreed on this but as Alonso was probably our best player the season before he left. That's an incredibly high standard to set for a transfer to be considered a success.