• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who will be our next Captain?

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
I apologize in advance mods if this thread is deemed inappropriate and disrespectful to our current captain and i will understand if this is locked or deleted but i think there is a potentially worthwhile and interesting discussion to be had here.Would have liked to have done a poll but i have no idea how to set that up.

It is something that's been my mind alot recently, i don't think it's being disrespectful to discuss it, what with Stevie's age and injury record and now with Carra seemingly third choice for league games and Pepe's inconsistency i think Brendan really needs to think of replacements for the old guard. We certainly need to appoint a permanent Vice Captain with Carra likely to be absent for the majority of our league games.

For me there are several notable candidates: Johnson, Skrtel. Agger, Reina, Lucas and Suarez.

I prefer to see a central player as captain, when i think of our old captains i always think of Hughes, Thompson, Hansen, Souness, Hyypia and the occasional exception (to a central figure) like Phil Neal. To my mind, it's always preferable to see our leader in the centre.

For me, Suarez is too controversial a figure, he comes with too much baggage and his theatrical over-reactions are not something we want to see in a captain. Lucas, fabulous player that he is, simply isn't vocal enough for my liking, although Brendan seems to hold him in high regard. Reina's form has lead to talk about being dropped and possibly sold to Arsenal, while he remains a fantastic character his position, inconsistency and ever-increasing errors concern me enough to overlook him.

That leaves the centre backs and a player who, in my opinion, has arguably been one of our most consistent and impressive players over the last couple of seasons, add to that his superb injury record and attitude and i feel Glen Johnson is worthy of consideration. What goes against him is his position but that didn't rule out Sir Bob making Phil Neal his captain.

Lastly, we have our fantastic central defenders Skrtel and Agger. Both are consistent and excellent players although DAgger's injury record may rule him out in some peoples' minds, however, it seems his injury days are a thing of the past, his character and attitude make him the perfect choice in my opinion aswell as being a fantastic footballer, so for me our Great Dane should take over in Stevie's absence and long term when our captain calls it a day.

As for Vice Captain, i think Skrtel would be my choice.

Thoughts?

FreakLFC

Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Reina, Lucas, Suarez all of them deserve it. Its a really tough one.

A captain should be mature and lead by example, also have a personality that oozes with elegance. I vouch for Agger. And I pray for a very fit Agger.

Good thread.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
A bit early as I think Gerrard will be around for a few years yet. I think the question should really be who should be the Vice Captain.

Pepe or Suarez and possably Agger for that one. I think it is time to replace Jamie as he does not play as much and the Vice Captain should be another player who is playing more games and this would help back up Gerrard on the pitch.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
If Lucas is fit, definitely him. Agger is a good shout, but no one, even Agger, has shown as much character as Lucas ever since he came to this club.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
It is not nice to judge a manager and start asking for his head, it is wrong to insinuate that he is in deep end and start talking about his performance and looking out for another manager. BUT it is all good to start discussing our next captain.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
It is not nice to judge a manager and start asking for his head, it is wrong to insinuate that he is in deep end and start talking about his performance and looking out for another manager. BUT it is all good to start discussing our next captain.
Just wondering if you even bothered to read the original poster's words? Because he explained pretty clearly that he isn't criticizing Gerrard or calling an end to his captaincy or anything like that but instead he simply wants to raise this topic — in the most respectful manner — because there are some pretty justifiable reasons to start thinking about it. Namely, (1) Gerrard isn't young and can't be expected to be fit for an entire season AND his form hasn't been great, (2) Carragher doesn't play very often, (3) Kuyt left, (4) Pepe's form has been questionable.

I don't know why you have to get into a fit about it. This is a Liverpool forum and as such the purpose of it is to discuss things related to the club. If you have an opinion on Rodgers and you want to start looking for a new manager, you are more than welcome to voice it, but just because people don't agree with it doesn't mean we should stop discussing anything that might be at all controversial does it?

Anyways, back to the thread. I agree with what Liveforethereds has said, I think Stevie has the ability to go on for a couple more years but I really doubt whether or not he can continue to perform as effectively as some of the youngsters can. Shelvey's influence will definitely rise. Suso could also be played in AM. And even Suarez as well. So Gerrard will have to compete with Allen and Lucas for the other two spots and it is debatable whether or not Gerrard can do either of the two roles as well as the two in Rodgers system.

For the next two years though I can still see Gerrard as our main captain but I do think it won't be too premature to make official a second vice-captain to assume the responsibility if Gerrard or Carragher aren't playing. I think Lucas is too quiet of a personality to be a captain. I think Suarez will really lead by example and be real assertive. However, his reputation and problem with referees is an issue though. Skrtel and Agger are safe choices. I would also suggest Johnson who I think has really matured and grown as a player. He does his job capably and quietly but he also isn't afraid to voice his opinions or be assertive when need be.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
This started last season at about the same time of the season, the same the season before that and was locked both times. I do think it's to early. But as I said the question should be asked about the Vice captain.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
You lost me here Eddie.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Dagger could be a good vice captain.He even has tattoos on his knuckles now you do not see many foreign players do that.

Rooster

What a hit son
i have no problems discussing. Hard to know who will be around in future though.

Agger is the man. He will hold his place, leads his country?, ideally positioned and has been around the club for a while. Dunno what he's like in the sheds of course.

On the downside he is injury prone and probably will continue to be a target of other clubs.

Other option is GJ. Being a Pom may help but he really has become a senior pro.

RedSeven

On the one road
This started last season at about the same time of the season, the same the season before that and was locked both times. I do think it's to early. But as I said the question should be asked about the Vice captain.
Agree ,somewhat reluctantly,on the vice captain part.I would think though that Carra will still play some part in our season and as such should be left with the role until the summer when it is likely he will take a step back from the squad.At that time i would like to see Danny given the Vice captain role as i see him moving up to captain when Stevie steps back in a couple of years,but not yet.He still has plenty to offer as a player and as our captain.

Pepe is another good shout for the vice captain role.

redfever

TIA New Signing
Who knows when SG will hang it up, but i'd like to think another local lad could take over from him. Martin Kelly maybe?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
If Gerrard for some reason left tomorrow, then Agger would be my choice.

The reality is that we don't know who will be at the club when Gerrard hangs up his boots.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Don't know why, but Lucas fits the bill in my head. The way he conducts himself, his determination to make it at LFC when all the odds were against him, then his amazing recovery from a potentially career ending injury all just make him a terrific candidate for me.

Him or Agger.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Agger. When the others show their loyalty to US fans and the club to the extent of having YNWA on them as a permanent reminder of the honour they have felt to have spent their time here representing us then we can have a discussion. Can't remember which player said it but remember this quote:

"Daniel Agger doesn't talk a lot but when he does everybody stops to listen!"

But at same time this is premature. I suggest this should be a discussion about who takes over from Carragher as vice captain with an eye to take over from Gerrard in few years time. Would be shocked if Carra is still playing this time next year. Happy with Reina to remain as a vice captain too.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Agger, definitely. For me, the man embodies this club, and that's an amazing thing to be able to say about a foreign player.

Giving it to Suárez would be a ballsy slap in the face to the media everywhere, though. Especially as the tide has been turning somewhat, it might force people to acknowledge his outstanding attributes.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Pepe. Nobody has his charisma in the side and can inspire the way he can or does.

Another candidate worth considering is...Suarez.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Agger is certainly a wise choice. he plays centrally, loves the club, and is often a vocal leader and one who goes to the referee during disputes.

I'd love to see him with the armband.

El Cuchillero

Més que un pedantic shit.
Although the devil in me says Luis, for the kicks, it has to be the man with YNWA tattooed on his knuckles, and Lucas in his (hopefully none too frequent) absences.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Agger is certainly a wise choice. he plays centrally, loves the club, and is often a vocal leader and one who goes to the referee during disputes.

I'd love to see him with the armband.
He seems quite switched on when comes to tactics, systems and formations and stuff aswel. He is a leader on pitch and in locker room and drives the team by example, frequently grabbing hold of the ball when we arent taking the initiative and surging forward with it to push us up and make things happen.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
What would perhaps be a better question to ponder is will any of the young scouse academy lads develop to the stage were we are able to have a scouser as captain again? I admit that its a personal source of pride that we actually have a local club developed player as captain and something I will miss when he retires.

Suarez7LateralIncisor

TIA Regular
I apologize in advance mods if this thread is deemed inappropriate and disrespectful to our current captain and i will understand if this is locked or deleted but i think there is a potentially worthwhile and interesting discussion to be had here.Would have liked to have done a poll but i have no idea how to set that up.

It is something that's been my mind alot recently, i don't think it's being disrespectful to discuss it, what with Stevie's age and injury record and now with Carra seemingly third choice for league games and Pepe's inconsistency i think Brendan really needs to think of replacements for the old guard. We certainly need to appoint a permanent Vice Captain with Carra likely to be absent for the majority of our league games.

For me there are several notable candidates: Johnson, Skrtel. Agger, Reina, Lucas and Suarez.

I prefer to see a central player as captain, when i think of our old captains i always think of Hughes, Thompson, Hansen, Souness, Hyypia and the occasional exception (to a central figure) like Phil Neal. To my mind, it's always preferable to see our leader in the centre.

For me, Suarez is too controversial a figure, he comes with too much baggage and his theatrical over-reactions are not something we want to see in a captain. Lucas, fabulous player that he is, simply isn't vocal enough for my liking, although Brendan seems to hold him in high regard. Reina's form has lead to talk about being dropped and possibly sold to Arsenal, while he remains a fantastic character his position, inconsistency and ever-increasing errors concern me enough to overlook him.

That leaves the centre backs and a player who, in my opinion, has arguably been one of our most consistent and impressive players over the last couple of seasons, add to that his superb injury record and attitude and i feel Glen Johnson is worthy of consideration. What goes against him is his position but that didn't rule out Sir Bob making Phil Neal his captain.

Lastly, we have our fantastic central defenders Skrtel and Agger. Both are consistent and excellent players although DAgger's injury record may rule him out in some peoples' minds, however, it seems his injury days are a thing of the past, his character and attitude make him the perfect choice in my opinion aswell as being a fantastic footballer, so for me our Great Dane should take over in Stevie's absence and long term when our captain calls it a day.

As for Vice Captain, i think Skrtel would be my choice.

Thoughts?
Interesting. My initial thought was for Agger as Captain. His abilities, vocal approach to the game, toughness, and loyalty make him an excellent choice. Up to this season I would've said Reina. Now, not so sure. GJ is an interesting choice. Seems a relatively calm guy and is definitely a fine footballer, just don't know if he possesses the leadership. Skrtel would be better suited to VC I think. Suarez is too controversial indeed. Plenty of times coaches have used the Captaincy to calm a player like him down...making him responsible for more than himself can keep him levelheaded. And making him a captain would be a massive FU to the FA.

To add a further name into the mix, what about Jonjo. Very young but Stevie isn't out of the picture yet. The few years remaining could allow him time to get a bit more established before taking the armband. Everyone always says he's incredibly mature and the leader of the youngins. A fine footballer (not so much him tackling). I think BR is going to let Stevie hold it until retirement and in two three years will give it to Jonjo, who we all know he is a fan of. I suppose the same could be said of Allen, but he's too quiet i think.

In summary, I think Agger if the choice was today. In two/three years, it will be Jonjo.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
i know SirBillShankly means well, but i do think this is inadequate.
mainly because most people consider that Gerrard needs to retire in order to appoint a new captain, but this is not true.
actually gerrard got the captaincy from hyppia, while sami was still and active player. he was still a starter.

being a captain has a lot to do with what happens off the field, therefore i have no problems with carra being the vice captain, either. the captain is not merely the best player, far from it.

stevie may not be what he used to be, but from all the names and players in the squad i can't think of anybody else i would want to represent the club. maybe shelvy or kelly will grow into it. maybe allen. the rest of the names thrown around are great players, but that is not the only factor.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
way to early to tell for this but it looks like Hendo is being groomed for the future England captain..

I doubt he captains us though or will be here that much longer because we have Allen instead

I think captain should be Agger or Lucas after Gerrard as for who we have at the moment and vice captain Skertel...

Shelvey as future captain? gotta be kidding.. pls no.. I can't ever see that happening.. I don't see how anyone sees any future captain qualities from him whatsoever at the moment...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Also not sure on Shelvey becoming a starting regular. I see Suso taking the attecking midfield position and Allen and Lucas as first choice CM for years to come.