• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Who will be our next Captain?

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
yeah.. Suso is my first choice over shelvey for starter already imo..

a0001matt

TIA Squad Member
If the decision were made today my choice is Agger. Impeccable resume as far as services and attitude goes.

But yes, the process will most likely pass him over. In a few years time I can still see Lucas as the favorite with Reina close behind. A lot hinges on what happens between now and then, though.

Food for thought: If Henderson finds a way to establish himself as a regular he certainly warrants consideration.

Suarez7LateralIncisor

TIA Regular
Not really sure why some people write off Shelvey for this role but promote Hendo...what is that based on? Think it's rather clear who BR prefers and the only trait JH has over Shelvey is he's a bit calmer.

All a mute point though. No one is taking it off SG for a few years and no one knows how the players will pan out over that period.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
Daniel Agger.
Perfectionist.Has that winning mentality and commands respect.

Eventually Kelly seems to be the perfect candidate.Local lad and has a very mature head on his shoulders.

OhYaBeauty

Daniel Agger.
Perfectionist.Has that winning mentality and commands respect.

Eventually Kelly seems to be the perfect candidate.Local lad and has a very mature head on his shoulders.
I think if Kelly transitions into being a central defender he could be ready to take it off Stevie when he retires in the next 2-3 years.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I would go with Agger....Though I can see why Glenn Johnson would be mentioned as well as Lucas, for Lucas it depends if he comes back as good as he was.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
I agree that for the time being we are looking for a Vice-Captain and not a replacement for Gerrard just yet but someone who can take on the reins when Gerrard and Carra aren't playing. Based on what we've seen I still think Pepe is the third most senior figure in the team but there are some question marks there so who knows whether or not that will change later so it is fair to start discussing some options:

Lucas:
One positive aspect of selecting Lucas is that he is very multilingual and he will be able to both communicate with the English-speaking lads and the ones that speak Spanish. Off the field he is respected by his peers and I think in general he would do well if not even better than Stevie at creating a generally positive team spirit and sense of camaraderie. The thing is though, I haven't seen anything from Lucas to suggest that he has much leadership qualities. I rarely see Lucas use his voice or do much organizing or communicating. He is more of a player that quietly goes about his job in an unassuming manner but he doesn't seem to assert or have demonstrated much control over the team as a whole.

Agger + Pepe:
My only concern with Agger is his injury record and whether or not he will be coming in and out of the team too much to really be able to assert himself as a leader. I do think he has all of the best leadership qualities though. Same goes for Pepe but unfortunately his form has been dipping and I also generally don't like having keepers as captains anyways.

Suarez:
In all fairness, I think Luis has done enough to prove that he is the most capable, hard working and deserving player for the fans' support. I also believe that his teammates really respect him and support him as we could see from the T-shirts gesture during the whole Evra mess. In terms of leadership, I think Luis would be fantastic.

The big problem with Luis is that the refs in England clearly have an issue with him and he does come with a certain stigma as a cheater or as a diver still so it could really be something that could hurt us.

GJ or Skrtel:
I think either would make decent captains. Johnson in particular I am interested in seeing what he would do if he was given more responsibility. I think he is really matured as a player and shows quite a lot of sense.

Skrtel is a safe choice but does not necessarily possess the best mix in terms of skill set for the role.

Shelvey:
I think people gravitate towards Shelvey as an option for the future because he has shown himself to be pretty fearless and he seems to not shy away from opportunities and instead likes to really assert himself on the game whenever he is playing. In a way, the same thing made Gerrard such a good captain.

Anthony

I simply hope Gerrard plays for year to come and keeps being a competitive star for us, as for Carra I think we can all agree his time is nearing an end.

My choice for captain (when it happens), and vice would be:
  • Captain - Reina; he has stuck with us when other have not and shows incredible drive. His dip in form is temporary, his class will last for years
  • Vice - Suarez; I think as he ages, he will mature more and will be the leader we all want him to become. His competitiveness, drive and ability will be an asset and motivator for those around him. His downfall is the theatrics, which, recently he has shown that he can push aside and focus on goals.
I think that we have excellent alternates too; Glen (so much more the finished product), Agger (you just cannot beat his give-it-all approach) and Skrtel (just been a beast for us)

lfc.8

Gerrard will be captain until he retires. Far too early to be discussing this. But i would probably look at either Reina or Agger as vice captain if Carragher indeed retires next season.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Reina i.e if he is still with us.
Kelly also ticks for me. local lad, talented, level headed, our next carragher may be.
Suarez will certainly get the nod if he decides to be with us. His love and determination for the game is 2nd to no one. And personally, as a captain it might calm him down.

b0red86

TIA New Signing
it's a nice problem to have when you can't choose who you think could/should be captain because there are so many players with those attributes in our squad. just look at arsenal for example and there doesn't really seem to be too many players who feel have the attributes to be a quality captain. even when they do give someone the captaincy they leave the next year anyway :). for us at this point in time i would say gerrard captain and either reina or agger as vice. in a few years time i would like to see lucas captain or vice captain though.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Agger all the way, he has the tats to prove he is Liverpool all the way and I can't look past him.

I would consider Suarez for the VC, could even be the best thing for him, different players take the responsibility on in different ways, could be the calming influence he needs if he is leading the team out.

Evra captains United and he is perhaps the greatest git in the history of pro sport so I wouldn't rule out Luis at all.

Long term hopefully the position can back go to a local lad perhaps Martin Kelly

Zoran

It depends on the situation we'll be in when that happens, as things will change of course, but I'm quite happy to have Stevie for some more time to come. The important thing is that we have people with more than enough experience at the club and knowledge with those qualities who can jump in and takeover when he's not available.

Agger is not really someone I fancy for that role to be honest. Love him to bits, but it's not all about having a cool commited fella with all sorts of warrior tatoo's on him who likes to shout at people at every opportunity. There's more to it. It's also about dealing with many things that happens off the pitch, especially in today's game and it rises every year. Kompany is a great example of that. How do they deal with stuff that will get thrown at them when we're going through a bad period, etc. When I listen to Agger's interviews (and it's not like you get a lot of his interviews, he tries to avoid them as much as possible) he often sounds rather depressing (not that I mind it, but you have to think about what's best for the club) or he really doesn't know what to say. He might be vocal on the pitch, but I always got the impressions he's the complete opposite off it. And then again vocality is not the key for a captain. Gerrard isn't very vocal on the pitch but is still a great captain for this club.

I also don't like this 'goalkeepers shouldn't be captains' nonsense but I do understand there are still managers our there who don't like it. Being captain or not, I'd always expect from my goalie to be the absolute commander of his area where not even Paolo Maldini doesn't tell him how to do his job and have at least one player in my defence who has at least that little edge in organizing things (same goes for maybe my holding midfield player). The captain's position on the pitch was maybe more important in the past, but it doesn't make a big difference these days in a game where it's more about how many 'little captains' (Ferguson's key staff members at United) or leaders/winners (and the balance between them) you have on the pitch, although again, it depends on the characters you have really.

K

Kev

Quite like Agger for captain. Don't think it'll be for another couple of years though, which is fine by me.

If Luis is still here then make him VC. If only for the tokeninity (yes I made that word up) of it. Wouldn't actually want him to be captain.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
:rolleyes: those saying the captains armband would mature and calm down Suarez? Last time he was a club captain he got so wound up in a game he bit someone :rolleyes: just sayin.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Already Suarez has his hands full. I think if you compare the team to a company, Suarez would definitely be good for the COO position, damn good at execution but nowhere as good when its come to leading a team to execution. The CEO position who commands respect not just in the sense of hardwork but in terms of temperament and character. Gerrard is not Captain just because he runs around tirelessly, but because he has that fire in him, that commanding character in him that even when he is not playing the best, players around him still look to him for a direction, for a motivation. Suarez, like Big O Sami, should be left alone to do what they do best, to play. not to lead. I would agree with Agger's choice but if only Lucas has been seriously considered. As I said before, no one, even Agger, can come close to claiming to show as much character in LFC ever since he came to the club. That example in itself, is enough for players around him to look to his unassuming quiet but strong character to go about doing their own things quietly but effectively. I do not think a captain has to be shouting all the time and Lucas, for the record, does appropriate shouting at times.

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
Moot subject.
Allen will be Rodgers' choice, if he's still manager when Gerrard retires.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
The question of the vice-captaincy will arise at least at the end of this season, so it's indeed interesting to see who will get it, and depending on who gets it, it could be a sign of things to come for the captaincy when Gerrard retires. If Kuyt was still amongst us, I'd love him to be given that vice-captain armband, but that's not possible anymore.
  • My preferred choice would be Agger. He's settled, happy and seems to have less recurrent injury problems. Seems the perfect fit imo.
  • Reina is another one I could see getting that armband. He's a bit out of form lately, but class is permanent as they say, and he has a huge influence in the dressing room.
  • Finally, if Lucas finds back his top form of last spring and continues to improve like he has done until now, he's certainly one to consider. He's the archetypal model pro, and has already an important influence on younger players. Definitely one to consider for the future. Also, his position on the pitch makes him the ideal captain for the future. But it's too early yet for him.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Moot subject.
im not so sure about that.....

is i really that blatant at the game?

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
im not so sure about that.....

is i really that blatant at the game?
Well if you look at how the summer panned out, Allen was his primary target and dare I say the one who was going to "excite us".
He rates the boy very highly, so that's what leads me to believe he would be Rodgers' preferred choice of captain.

Cant see Gerrard having the captaincy taken away from him while he's still playing regularly, and I'm not sure Rodgers will still be here in 3 or 4 years from now.

Lucas

Moot subject.
Heavily doubt it, Allen doesn't have the attributes necessary to be a captain, he's more of a quiet grafter who just goes about his work. Could you really imagine him having the force of personality to be arguing with a ref or shepherding a teammate away from conflict?

kylel39

Never bite the hand that feed's you.......Luis
Well if you look at how the summer panned out, Allen was his primary target and dare I say the one who was going to "excite us".
He rates the boy very highly, so that's what leads me to believe he would be Rodgers' preferred choice of captain.

Cant see Gerrard having the captaincy taken away from him while he's still playing regularly, and I'm not sure Rodgers will still be here in 3 or 4 years from now.
I actually reckon he'll go for Lucas ahead of Allen. He seems like the right type to captain a team and has done it before at club and International level.

From what I've seen of Joe he's too quiet to be a captain and his performances although excellent aren't quite the sort of rousing displays that get players and fans onside. Whereas Lucas firing into the likes Yaya Toure certainly gets everyone on board.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
I actually reckon he'll go for Lucas ahead of Allen. He seems like the right type to captain a team and has done it before at club and International level.
Exactly ...

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/rodgers-lucas-is-brilliant

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/boss-lucas-can-be-my-scout

Miklo

TIA's Cruijffonian
Agger for me, without a doubt. On number two. Reina would have been that if you asked me two years ago but he really needs to improve back to his old form. If he can do that then I would no better player. Otherwise I would take Luis.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
What would perhaps be a better question to ponder is will any of the young scouse academy lads develop to the stage were we are able to have a scouser as captain again? I admit that its a personal source of pride that we actually have a local club developed player as captain and something I will miss when he retires.
I'm not so sure it's important to have that local connection. What you're looking for is a guy out there who can rally the team when down, keep the players focused when in possession of a 1-0 or 2-0 lead, and generally be a good example to the other players.

I don't think a guy from another continent is really going to care whether the captain has been born in the area and speaks with the local accent to be honest. We've been lucky to have a Scouse Captain and vice Captain, but like I said on the first page, dedicated world class professionals like Lucas and Agger possess the qualities to be in those positions for the next 7 or 8 years. Besides, everyone relates to them the same anyway. They're Liverpool through and through as much as anyone.

I can see why it would be important to local fans however.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Agger for me, he's also captain for his national side, so it's not new to him.

1988greatestteam

Wishing for number 6
Agger is a fantastic choice, how old will he be when Gerrard hangs up his boots though? Always liked a center half as captain...Sammy was a fine captain, Tony Adams etc....
But my outside bet for the job in maybe 5 years from now is...Andre Wisdom...he looks a strong leader and is very vocal on the pitch..

OhYaBeauty

Agger is a fantastic choice, how old will he be when Gerrard hangs up his boots though? Always liked a center half as captain...Sammy was a fine captain, Tony Adams etc....
But my outside bet for the job in maybe 5 years from now is...Andre Wisdom...he looks a strong leader and is very vocal on the pitch..
I'd prefer Martin Kelly. I think he's more likely to be a central defender when Agger or Skrtel goes than Wisdom.