Who would you buy?

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by Zinedine Biscan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Zinedine Biscan

Zinedine Biscan Trust in Klopp

We had a thread like this before The Event, so it seemed like a decent time to start up a new one. We're a couple of months into the season, so we've had the chance to evaluate where we think the squad is at the moment, and where we need to strengthen. And the start of the next transfer window is less than three months away, so you would hope that people at the club are already starting to send out feelers regarding potential signings.

So, come January 1st, who would you sign to address our current needs?

I think rather than this being a wish-list, it would be nice if we instead tried to talk about realistic signings. I'm sure 99% of us would like Cavani, but that isn't going to happen.

I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of overseas players, but we have a good spread of posters here who do, so hopefully there'll be some interesting names coming up.

Oh, and also say which positions you think are key to strengthen.

For me, it's a striker. We absolutely need someone who scores goals. The kids who have come in so far - Sterling, Wisdom, Suso etc - have been great, but the young lads up front - Morgan, Yesil, Ngoo even - aren't there yet, and it's unfair to expect them to come in and start hitting double-figures straight away. But we do need someone to do that right now, this minute.

My (hopefully) realistic shout would be someone like Seydou Doumbia. The guy lives and breathes goals. He hasn't played in a top league, it's true, but he's scored well at every level he's played so far, and playing in Russia would hopefully be keen for a move to the PL. I've also started to see rumours linking him to our rivals - Spurs especially - so something tells me January will be the right time. Those rumours also gave a figure of £16m, which doesn't sound like silly money for a goalscoring striker, who'll just be 25 when the window opens.

For me, that's the only position we absolutely must fill in January, and if money is limited we should concentrate on that.

Thoughts and other suggestions welcomed.

2. Speckydodge

Speckydodge TIA Squad Member

Doumbia would be great but is he really only 25?? Some doubts over it. Natural goal scorer though and could have a similar impact to cisse at Newcastle last year. I'd add pierre emerick aubemyang to the that striker list very pacy and scoring a lot in a weak team should be cheaper then Doimbia also . Both will have ACN duty in January to which is a drawback.

The RF position also needs attention would love Isco at around 15m or if Brendan really wants and inside forward / inverted winger and he wants a left footer I'd look at Griezmann.

Lb and maybe a proper dm cover would be nice too but I think they might have to wait until the summer

3. supereddman98

supereddman98 Active Member

Everyone's favorite thread, love it.

Dries Mertens - Proved now that he's ready for a step up in competition, 2011-2012 he bagged 21 goals and 16 assists in all competitions and hes started this season on similar terms with 5 goals and 8 assists in all competitions. Very explosive with tidy dribbling and a cracking shot. Him and Suarez would be too much for teams to handle instead of relying sorely on Luis.

Fernando Llorente - Very much available now and I think for a decent price with everything happening at Bilbao. Offers everything Carroll does with so much more, great hold up play but with added technique, used to playing in a similar fashion to what Rodgers wants to achieve. I think for under 15 million we'd be silly not to try. Also would attract defenders attentions away from Suarez so much.

Rodrigo - One of my favorite young players right now, lightning quick with a tidy shot, although wasteful at times he is only young with room to improve. With Nelson Oliveira impressing at Deportivo i think Benfica would be more open to selling him.

4. Anfield rd Dreamer

Anfield rd Dreamer Well-Known Member

Agree on position everything else can wait till summer but we need an actual centre forward somebody to be our flag bearer up front taking thepressure and attention off Suarez who can then attack from wider position as he does for Uruguay and did at Ajax.

Id also just keep things simple and recruit a guy who not only has a proven succesful relationship with Suarez but except for one average blip in his first and only season has a top class proven record in 3 of Europes top leagues. Bring in Huntelaar.

He will have 6 months on contract still young enough to give us 3 seasons in his prime and has spoken of his desire to play in our league before.

If cant bring him in or he is deemed too old go for the "Mini Huntelaar" and bring in Van Wolfswinkel who is the age we tend to like and proven in two leagues and european competition.

Ideally for me:

------------Reina------------
    Kelly--Skrtel--Agger-Johnson
    ------------Lucas------------
    -------Gerrard---Sahin-------
    --Sterling-----------Suarez---
    -----------Huntelaar---------

If everybody was fit and in form of course.

OhYaBeauty likes this.
  5. Anfield rd Dreamer

Oh just remembered Id go all out to snap up Ince this window before bigger fish come in. We made a mistake letting him go and if any sense will rectify it before its too late. Should be able to persuade him he will get chances and games in a style he is suited too if this season is anything to go by.

6. Speckydodge

Wouldn't take ince back in a million years

7. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

Ince would cost more than he is worth and would want more money than he is worth.His dad pulls the strings which is why we let him go in the first place.

8. rab

rab Well-Known Member

If he's still stuck on the bench come January we could do a hell of a lot worse than try and tempt Villa into letting us have Darren Bent. No long term fix but for the next 2-3 years I'd be confident he'd score more goals than Suarez, Borini or Carroll playing that central role in the front three.

9. Nikola

Nikola Optimist with a bit of experience. Admin

Unrealistically? Stevan Jovetic (even though he's not an out-and-out striker, his clinical finishing and game intelligence would ensure that he scores enough goals for us, fitness permitting) and James Rodriguez (he would solve our right wing crisis, being a left footer who is blessed with everything a good winger should be blessed with). There's about fifty million pounds in these two lads together and they want Champions League football but hey...

Realistically? There is that kid playing for Man City's Reserves, John Guidetti is his name. Powerful striker who knows where the back of the net is. Even though he has signed a new contract just a few days ago, I still think we could lure him here. Another one is Walcott - not that I want us to buy him because I really don't - I just feel that Rodgers will push hard for him if he doesn't sign a new contract by the January 1st, 2013.

10. Anfield rd Dreamer

Yeah why would we want a winger who has 6 goals and 6 assists in 8 games? o_O

I mean he may of been developed by our youth team and be a good fit for our squad but he had the audacity to move on in search of first team football because he was told he couldnt be guaranteed chances here because we had Downing, Henderson, Kuyt and Maxi as our wingers. Im sure any winger ready for the step up to senior football would of accepted that and signed a new youth team contract in your eyes?

Suppose he did do us a bit of a favour by agreeing to go to Blackpool as part of the Adam exchange though when he could of gone werever he wanted and theyd of just had to pay small compo fee. But he did help us make sure we got a guy we wanted.

And yep sure a lad happy to except Blackpool wages would demand a bigger contract than we would be willing to pay him (to the other poster).

bijur likes this.
  11. Zinedine Biscan

Some interesting names being mentioned already.

Guidetti is an intriguing one - can't say I've seen him play, but a record of 20 goals in 23 games as a 19-year-old loanee at Feyenoord are the sort of numbers that make you sit up and take notice.

12. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

With a completely fit and well squad we are only short 2 player.During the summer a lot pointed out the need for a centre forward and a wide right forward if we were to go for a 433 formation and as the season has gone on i think that assessment has been shown to be correct.

We have used Luis as the centre forward but i think he is a much better finisher when coming in off the wide left position,which sterling currently occupies.While Raheem has been excellent,he is still a bit too slight and has been easily dispossessed a good number of times by older stronger lads.On occassion though he has got back at them but not as much as they have got the better of him physically,as you would expect.

So to fill the centre forward role i would be hoping we could land Huntelaar.I think he is an ideal finisher who regularly finds himself in the right position at the right time.Some have questioned his work rate at times but his job is to finish off moves and at the moment that is someone we are lacking,so as long as he was able to get goals i think we could afford a lad may be a bit questionable when it comes to workrate.Price wise he wouldn't cost too much as he will be in the last 6mths of his contract,although his wages may be a bit steep.At 29/30 he is no spring chicken either but will still be able to give us a few years of very good service since he doesn't rely on pure pace to get into goalscoring positions but more on his knack of already being in those positions.

For the wide right forward i'd take a look at Muller.I'm not too sure if he could be tempted to leave Bayern but if he could we would be getting a creative player who can score goals,gets assists and put in a decent shift when it comes to workrate.He may also cost a fair amount but we would be getting a young enough player with hopefully his best years ahead of him and i think he would fit into our set up without too much of adjustment time needed.

------------Reina------------
    Kelly--Skrtel--Agger-Johnson
    ------------Lucas------------
    -------Gerrard---Sahin-------
    -----Muller-----------Suarez---
    -----------Huntelaar---------

13. Matt

Matt Poor Scouser Tommy Admin

The whole Thomas Ince saga shows the sheer incompetence of Liverpool FC over the past 5 years:

a) he should have been developed better at LFC

B) he should have been given more opportunities at LFC

c) we should have a buy back option in his deal with Blackpool

d) we should have a percentage sell on fee (so when United pay daft money we get 20%)

None of the above happened, to the best of my knowledge, because we had complete and utter plebs like Purslow running the club.

schmee likes this.
  14. Nikola

A Swedish lad called Per Qvist, owner of Liverpool fan site in Swedish language, whom I follow on Twitter pointed me in his direction - he gave me links to some videos and interviews of him and, even though I still think that he's a bit of an ego on the pitch, the lad is precisely the type of player I want to see in my club. Fearless, self-confident, gifted, clinical and already has a charity organisation set up in Africa, which he regularly visits. Even though he signed two new contracts in last year or so, I really think that he can be bought from City as they already have a strike force that is good in numbers and quality, injury crisis aside. Even on top of that, Mancini scouted Radamel Falcao on Sunday. With our new scouts being former City scouts, two and two add up to... We'll see.

15. Nikola

I beg to differ, Matt. Ince was nowhere near as talented and as hard working as Sterling, Suso and Ibe, our most talented attacking youngsters playing in those wide roles at this moment. To my knowledge, he was offered a new contract which he rejected because his father was looking for a bigger pay cheque and regular first team role for his son.

Also, given that his contract expired, we couldn't have asked anything from Blackpool, let alone have a buy-back and/or sell-on clause inserted.

If he was as talented as he thinks he is, he would probably be playing in Man U's or Man City's first team ahead of Valencia and Aguero. There is a reason why he was let go and it wasn't Comolli's or Kenny's or anyone's incompetence.

16. gasband

gasband The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign

If we do not need to consider reality, Falcao would be the one I would go all out for. Very mobile and shows he can score in a difficult league dominated by Barca and Real. Jovetic would also fit into the model. I think while Sterling and Suso are going to be very good players, a front three of either Falcao/JOvetic, Suarez and Borini would scare the hell of defenders. We need strong, mobile and direct players and lastly can score.

Llorente might be a good punt. Not doubting his credentials but if he is similar to Carroll, just better, the problem would still be, he is similar to Carroll. If BR had wanted a player like Carroll, he would have kept Carroll or at least go after someone similar in the summer... did not see much evidence of that. But again, I would not be unhappy at all if we stole him from under the big clubs who had noticed him for a long time for anything 15mil and below.

Some other players we might look at: Martin Harnik or Rodrgo Palacio who can play the 2nd striker if Suarez stays central

17. Anfield rd Dreamer

Good shout but do you really think he is ready to come in and play starting football for us? Quite a step up. And thats really what we need a player for today not tomorrow.

18. Nikola

If Sterling and Suso could do it, this lad could do it, too. He's more physically developed and already has a full season of experience in Holland's Eredivisie, where he apparently scored for fun. If I could think of more players like him, I'd name them but I can't. I wouldn't be surprised to see us getting someone from Switzerland, Germany, Belgium and Holland, so I'm really looking forward to hearing out suggestions from our forumites who follow those leagues.

19. Anfield rd Dreamer

Disagree sorry he was 19 and had never played for seniors. Even if Sterling is better he is playing regular at 17. His career was stunted here and he wanted assurances that would change which seems fair enough. How much do you really think he was demanding in wages considering he signed a contract at Blackpool? We did have chance to put agreements in place as we waived compensation and had heard rumours we had. Also the irony of your point about United who do actually seem interested in him so maybe his ego isnt as unwarranted as you and others seem to think.

20. sami

sami TIA First Team

I remember from a few years back, and I trust Sweeting with his judgement, he sees the younger players more than any of us on here and he was adamant that Ince was just not good enough, despite of what we had seen.

As Nikola rightly mentions he just wasn't hardworking enough. Not quality. And his dad was looking for something bigger for him. We fail to meet this reserves players' dads terms and thats why he left. Good decision i think. Imagine what mentality would set into the other young players like Sterling and Suso if they knew that even as young players they can still have demands, and have those demands met as well. Puts the wrong thinking into young players.

What is disappointing though is the fact that Ince could join United, a player that we let go. But if his attitude is as what people have said, i dont see him getting a chance there. Remember that young guy at United, Ravel Morrison. United fans will tell you he could have been the next big thing at the club. Unfortunately for him he got ahead of himself, insulted the management for overlooking him for the first team, and wheres he now? West Ham reserves i think, or did he get sold from there too?

Nikola likes this.
  21. Zinedine Biscan

WHU loaned Morrison out, I think.

A quick wikipedia check confirms he is on loan at Birmingham City.

22. RedSeven

RedSeven On the one road Valued Member

Ravel Morrison was sent on loan for 12 mths to west ham ,who them loaned him to birmingham who only yesterday i think,sent him back to west ham because of his bad attitude.On Tom Ince,it may have been intresting to see how he would have progressed under BR although i do remember his dad complaining about us treating young tom badly by offering,in his opinion ,a derisory contract.A bit of a sticky one with Raheem,last season it was reported that he was unhappy with the opportunities he was being afforded and that he may have to leave if his wasn't given a better chance with us,a few weeks later he played his first game for the senior team.Probably just media speculation but we did discuss it on this site.

23. SoueysTash

SoueysTash GegenPosting

We had a Blackpool player once that was player of the season in the premier league...didn't work out too well! 6 goals & 6 assists in the Championship doesn't mean anything in the premier league, particularly if he's as lazy as some of the other posters are saying.

Totally agree with Matt that we were incompetent by not ensuring he had sell on clauses etc.

24. sami

sami TIA First Team

There you go, and as Red Seven pointed out, a google check on Ravel throws up the Daily Mail article from 2 hours ago, Birmingham have had enough of him too.

25. Nikola

Sterling is playing with first team because: 1) we have no senior players capable of playing at his level, 2) he deserved that chance by wholehearted application in training, Reserve team matches and now in first team matches. Believe me, I've never seen Ince tracking back like Sterling or consistently providing the threat down the flanks. He had a good touch and good pace and that was about it.

I don't buy into these stories about Man U being interested in him - I wouldn't be surprised if that piece info was planted by his people in order to get him playing PL football as soon as possible, with the incentives of greater exposure and chance to play for England and, of course, lucrative contract. First of all, like Sami pointed out, Ferguson is great at managing egos who are committed in training and matches. Second, he wouldn't improve their side - the likes of James Rodriguez would. Do you really think that he would sell Nani and use only a fraction of that money to replace him with someone like Thomas Ince now that he has a squad capable of winning the title and Champions League?

26. Anfield rd Dreamer

Dont see how what Ince was asking for was so out of line. All he wanted was an opportunity to play if Rodgers had been manager then he would almost certainly have already been playing.

And sorry using hindsight how anybody can say that was a good idea has serious distortion on the situation.

1 we have a talented kid screaming out for chances to play at end of contract

2 we dont want to give him his assuarances so let him go as part of a deal for a player we end up selling at a 2 million loss a year later

3 we spend 20 million on a player who we pay 4 times more in wages to that plays every week and doesnt get any goals or assists

4 the kid we lost becomes an important player for Blackpool and is one of their best as they nearly get promoted

5 our superstar winger has been so awful he starts this season playing for our fringe squad and he is lucky to keep his place there

6 the kid starts this season in such awe inspiring form our more successful (at the moment) bitter rivals who can sign any player on the planet are starting to take a serious interest in him.

rab likes this.
  27. Anfield rd Dreamer

I think we will wait and see on Ince have terrible feeling within 3 or 4 years there will be a lot of people with eggs on faces and LFC will be the ultimate losers. Not good.

28. Speckydodge

And why would we want back an egotistic player who demanded first team football with us despite having proved absolutely nothing. He wasn't even standing out in our reserves. He obviously had talent was at the best club in the world and was offered a contract to stay and fight and prove he had what it takes to play for this great club, where he would prob of got his chance this season if he worked hard enough. He turned us down so I never want him offered another contract by us.

Hence why I wouldn't take him back in a million years.

mikeypezza likes this.
  29. gasband

gasband The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign

ANfield Road Dreamer, I apologise in advance, but what you are speaking now is in hindisght. The truth remains that no one then would have thought it is a bad idea to let Tom Ince go. Tom Ince is just but one of the talents we have in the academy, he could make it or maybe not. But we made a decision then while I will not say it is the best ever decision we made, neither was it a wrong decision.

And ok now, this guy becomes a good player for Blackpool. That is great for him but again no one except Jesus could have predicted how well he could do for us if he stayed. And if we were to buy him back, would he really excel here? We have tons of examples of players who can step up, and probably even more examples of those who could not. Downing may not have made it, that does not mean Ince can do better. So to me, there is no end to this discussion whether letting Tom Ince go is right or not because we will never really know, will we?

mikeypezza and TFC like this.
  30. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Ince name is being brought up because apparently Old Trafford fuckers want him. Let them have him.

Speckydodge likes this.