Who would you buy?

FGred

Yes, yes, yes and no.

No to Butland, and no to a goalkeeper really. Karius is doing well enough to keep the job IMO, and Ward can be the back-up if he's OK with that. I think it's imperative that we spend the goalie money on a top class CB. I'd much rather have Alderweireld for 50 million than some goalie for the same price.
What about Lascelles from Newcastle

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
What about Lascelles from Newcastle
To be honest with you, I really don't know. Is he any good? I'm not really the person to ask about other clubs' players, apart from the well known ones like Alderweireld, Given the 9 hour time diff between here and the UK, I mostly limit my footy watching to LFC.

GermanRed

Aren't we full in our CB department with 5 players? We've been short on CBs only once this season (the one game when Wijnaldum and Can played in a Back3) but since then Klopp had always at least three + Gomez available. Klavan is happy with his role as 4th or 5th choice (hard enough to find players to take that role). Gomez hoping to be 3rd or 4th choice next season. Lovren on a good £100000 a week contract (who would pay him that?) and Matip will also stay. Is Klopp really unhappy with one of them? Will one of them be pushed out? Is that Klopp way of doing things?

Or maybe some of us are in football manager mode where we don't have limits in wages and squad places (not even talking about fees). So no problem if two CBs won't make it into match day squad twice a week?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Aren't we full in our CB department with 5 players? We've been short on CBs only once this season (the one game when Wijnaldum and Can played in a Back3) but since then Klopp had always at least three + Gomez available. Klavan is happy with his role as 4th or 5th choice (hard enough to find players to take that role). Gomez hoping to be 3rd or 4th choice next season. Lovren on a good £100000 a week contract (who would pay him that?) and Matip will also stay. Is Klopp really unhappy with one of them? Will one of them be pushed out? Is that Klopp way of doing things?

Or maybe some of us are in football manager mode where we don't have limits in wages and squad places (not even talking about fees). So no problem if two CBs won't make it into match day squad twice a week?
Well first it's the "who would you buy" thread not "give your most accurate predictions on what Klopp will do thread"!

Second there's been a lot of talk, some of it semi reliable, that we wanted two CBs not just VvD.

Third it wouldn't surprise me at all to see any of Lovren, Matip or Klavan (one year left on contract?) Leave, possibly even two. After all there was a period running up to January when Klopp seemed extremely frustrated and exasperated with them. I think if he hadn't been he'd have waited till the summer to pull the trigger on VvD.

Fourth the way Klopp operates in the market, if one of his ideal targets becomes available he will pull the trigger and bring him in. Klopp can be ruthless at casting so-so players aside if he can see a way to achieve long term improvement.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Lascelles has a few things going for him; English, left footed, decent pace and shows some leadership qualities. Given that 4/5 of our centre backs are right footed, I wouldn't mind another leftie.

He's a decent player but is he better ability wise than Matip or Lovren? Not sure about that one.

Jayus20

For me it has to be someone very strong aerially because with it looking like Can is leaving and us hopefully bringing in Jorginho or equivalent then we are really lacking height and aerial presence in that midfield which we’d need to make up with our CB’s. If it was me I’d look no further than Salif Sane at Hannover. The guy keeps improving year on year, he’s 27 so coming into his peak years. He’s nothing special in terms of passing but he’s still more than competent enough on the ball. He’s one of the best in the air in Europe and his defensive stats are actually better than Van Dijk’s in near enough every way (more tackles, more interceptions, more clearances, more blocks, more aerial duels won and a higher aerial duel win percentage). He’s seemed to have gone under the radar, though I do remember him being very briefly linked to Tottenham in January. He’d be the ideal for me and doubt he’d be that much because of the minimal interest he’s had. Not really seen a price for him but if I remember rightly from that article it said that Hannover had a contingency plan in place if he did leave which makes me think he’d be a little cheaper than you’d expect.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Lascelles has a few things going for him; English, left footed, decent pace and shows some leadership qualities. Given that 4/5 of our centre backs are right footed, I wouldn't mind another leftie.

He's a decent player but is he better ability wise than Matip or Lovren? Not sure about that one.
Small correction, he's right footed, mostly plays as RCB alongside Lejeune (right footed), Clark (left footed) and I also think Mbemba (right footed).

As for him overall, said it before, some decent qualities, but not for our level I think.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Well first it's the "who would you buy" thread not "give your most accurate predictions on what Klopp will do thread"!

Second there's been a lot of talk, some of it semi reliable, that we wanted two CBs not just VvD.

Third it wouldn't surprise me at all to see any of Lovren, Matip or Klavan (one year left on contract?) Leave, possibly even two. After all there was a period running up to January when Klopp seemed extremely frustrated and exasperated with them. I think if he hadn't been he'd have waited till the summer to pull the trigger on VvD.

Fourth the way Klopp operates in the market, if one of his ideal targets becomes available he will pull the trigger and bring him in. Klopp can be ruthless at casting so-so players aside if he can see a way to achieve long term improvement.
Even if Matip and Lovren had been brilliant in the run up to December, we probably still would have signed VVD in January. We were already committed to bringing him here. According to those posting about the figures in the owners thread, it appears that commitment extended not just to the player, but also with Southampton in agreeing the move.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Corentin Tolisso - Lyon. Keeping an eye on him

Leon Goretzka would be a nice addition for me once we sell Can.

Maybe we can scoop Danilo da Silva from RM, 2nd fiddle to Carvajal and coming back from injury. Can play both sides
Meh. Tolisso scores a worldie last week and Bayern gets Goretzka as well. Danilo ended up at Citeh.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Even if Matip and Lovren had been brilliant in the run up to December, we probably still would have signed VVD in January. We were already committed to bringing him here. According to those posting about the figures in the owners thread, it appears that commitment extended not just to the player, but also with Southampton in agreeing the move.
Don't venture into that thread as it's dangerous for my health. But my memory and what was coming from sources close to the club during and after we seemed happy enough to wait till the Summer. Then we had a terrible run of injuries and mistakes at CB and BAM just like that Southampton dropped him and in short order a deal much higher than expected was agreed. Klopp is reserved about bringing players in kid season. If Lovren and Matip had been performing well as a partnership week in week out I really don't believe that deal happens in Jan. It might well have been worked on behind closed doors throughout but I really do think him arriving in Jan instead of June was because Klopp really really needed him.

RedForever2014

We'll continue to evolve and progress next season I am sure (unless we revert to type and sell Salah), but if we really want to kick on and compete on all fronts, we need a rock solid defence, a more dominant midfield, and more rotatable options in the forwards. The key issues we need to consider are;

Keeper: it'll be down to who is available at what cost and how much better than Karius they are.

Centre back: to me it's clear that to really kick on we have to put a right sided centre back next to VVD who is much nearer to VVD's level than Lovren or Matip. Gomez has caused enough concern at right back, letting people get goal side on several occasions, to make the likelihood of him being next season's first choice right sided centre back very low.

DM: without better quality here, without a proper dominant defensively orientated midfielder, we will never achieve what we might otherwise.

Forwards: we simply have to have a 4th forward closer to the level of Firmino, Salah and Mane to rotate with them. Ideally we need a winger and striker.

Other: we're probably ok at full back, probably ok for the CM position(s) alongside the DM, and if a new forward can't do a role at 10 when we deploy it, then perhaps Keita can, with Lallana and Oxlade deputising.

A top quality forward and top quality defensive midfielder are the crucial signings this summer, the case for another centre back is very strong, and if we really want to have the options needed to compete we need another forward on top and to have a good look at the keeper situation.

We'll continue to evolve and progress next season I am sure (unless we revert to type and sell Salah), but if we really want to kick on and compete on all fronts, we need a rock solid defence, a more dominant midfield, and more rotatable options in the forwards. The key issues we need to consider are;

Keeper: it'll be down to who is available at what cost and how much better than Karius they are.

Centre back: to me it's clear that to really kick on we have to put a right sided centre back next to VVD who is much nearer to VVD's level than Lovren or Matip. Gomez has caused enough concern at right back, letting people get goal side on several occasions, to make the likelihood of him being next season's first choice right sided centre back very low.

DM: without better quality here, without a proper dominant defensively orientated midfielder, we will never achieve what we might otherwise.

Forwards: we simply have to have a 4th forward closer to the level of Firmino, Salah and Mane to rotate with them. Ideally we need a winger and striker.

Other: we're probably ok at full back, probably ok for the CM position(s) alongside the DM, and if a new forward can't do a role at 10 when we deploy it, then perhaps Keita can, with Lallana and Oxlade deputising.

A top quality forward and top quality defensive midfielder are the crucial signings this summer, the case for another centre back is very strong, and if we really want to have the options needed to compete we need another forward on top and to have a good look at the keeper situation.
I don't expect Klopp will be looking to sell Salah or any of our best players. The boss will be in all sense adding quality to our first eleven - if Karius continues his improvement probably a goalkeeper may not be on his wish list.
I would go along with the same view that A CB on the level of VVD to strengthen the centre of defence would be welcome and the our midfield needs quality reinforcements along with Keita coming in. Up front needs quality strength in depth.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
It's going to be interesting to see what happens this summer. The squad is going to be quite bloated.

The front 3 are going to continue starting most games, so a versatile attacker is really the best fit. For example purposes, let's assume that person is Lemar or Fekir. Ings and Solanke are likely to remain peripheral as it is... so I can't see how a top striker will be attracted to warm our bench. We would also love to have our youth start getting some odd cup games.

In midfield I expect Keita to start regularly. If the attacker we bought is Lemar, I would expect him to spend half his games as an attacking midfielder. If we buy a DM, I would expect him to start quite regularly too.

So that leaves us with what to do with Henderson, Ox, Milner, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Grujic (ideally he stays at Cardiff for another season) who may stay as spot starters or who we will need to move on. To me, we should cull Lallana and Wijnaldum if we buy a DM.

In an ideal world, Lovren would be sold and a top CB would come in but can his contract be moved?
If Clyne comes back, does Gomez or TAA go out on loan? If they go out and become regulars, will they be satisfied coming back as a backup. I think the ideal situation would be a Camacho, Wanyama, Eric Dier type player who can play both DM and CB well.

RedForever2014

It's going to be interesting to see what happens this summer. The squad is going to be quite bloated.

The front 3 are going to continue starting most games, so a versatile attacker is really the best fit. For example purposes, let's assume that person is Lemar or Fekir. Ings and Solanke are likely to remain peripheral as it is... so I can't see how a top striker will be attracted to warm our bench. We would also love to have our youth start getting some odd cup games.

In midfield I expect Keita to start regularly. If the attacker we bought is Lemar, I would expect him to spend half his games as an attacking midfielder. If we buy a DM, I would expect him to start quite regularly too.

So that leaves us with what to do with Henderson, Ox, Milner, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Grujic (ideally he stays at Cardiff for another season) who may stay as spot starters or who we will need to move on. To me, we should cull Lallana and Wijnaldum if we buy a DM.

In an ideal world, Lovren would be sold and a top CB would come in but can his contract be moved?
If Clyne comes back, does Gomez or TAA go out on loan? If they go out and become regulars, will they be satisfied coming back as a backup. I think the ideal situation would be a Camacho, Wanyama, Eric Dier type player who can play both DM and CB well.
Next season we need to aim to finish top 4 in what will be an even more competitive scenario (new managers for Chelsea and Arsenal, City and United spending big again), do well in the CL, and the club really needs to seriously compete for a domestic cup, because we've been trophy less for too long and the CL and PL are very difficult to win.

I get why people worry about certain players being unhappy being back ups and squad players, but personally I worry more about the better players being unhappy if the club doesn't give them the platform their talent deserves, which itself requires that the club has enough back up and squad players of the right quality.

If a club is to be successful, it needs to keep its better players, and it needs a deep squad of good back ups and rotatable options, with some churn of those players each season.

In a squad of 25, there'll always be the stars with time on their side, those ready to move on to their 'dream club', squad players reaching the end of their tolerance of being squad players, plus some young guns. Hopefully we'll have a season or two before we have any more losses to dream clubs, but we do need to find a way to develop young guns and keep the squad what it needs to be.

We may plan to start the current front three more often than not, but we may not have that choice, one or more could get injured, there'll be fatigue after the world cup, and if we're seriously going to compete on all fronts, we have to have quality alternatives of a higher level than those currently backing them up. Ings and Solanke aren't good enough back ups, they're 3rd/4th choices.

I agree with a lot of your suggestions, the ins and outs will depend on money, availability and who we can move on given the contracts they have.

Personally I would love to see one of Matip or Lovren moved on, or both, a new guy bought, with Klavan and Gomez as back up to VVD and the new guy. I'd keep TAA as a more offensive option to Clyne, and keep both left backs, or sell Moreno and buy a young back up to Robertson like Sessignon.

I'd loan out Solanke, sell Sturridge and Origi, sign a striker, and keep Ings as third choice. With the third wide forward, we'd have six players to rotate there.

A new DM to replace Can (Hendo as back up), leaves us with who to keep from the other midfielders as you say. I agree with leaving Grujic at Cardiff, that for me is a no brainer. I'd keep Milner another season, Oxlade obviously, so with Keita arriving we could perhaps release Lallana or Gini.

With maybe 6 forwards, I don't think a central midfield squad of 7 players is excessive, given that there's cover within it for other positions (Minler for full back, Oxlade for wide forwards, Keita/Oxlade and Lallana for 10), but we might want to cull one of them.

But for me we have to ensure we've rotatable depth, for what will be a long season after a summer with little rest.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I wonder if Harry Wilson comes into the mix next season?

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/...pressive-form-with-latest-goal-for-hull-city/

Doing very very well on loan at Hull.

Interesting also that Woodburn is playing as a no.9 today v's City for the U19s, I wonder if he'll become an understudy to not only the widemen but Firmino as well? Certainly has all the attributes.

Would be great if both pushed on and became credible squad options, looking that way.

My wishes haven't changed at all really, the only question is if Karius stays or not - One for Klopp, but I'll assume we want a new no.1

GK - Alisson
CB - Gimenez
CM - Jorginho
FW - Werner

No major surgery required, just upgrading some positions with top class players.

First 11;

Alisson

Clyne - Gimenez - VVD - Robertson

Henderson - Jorginho - Keita

Salah - Firmino - Mane​

2nd 11;

Karius

TAA - Gomez - Matip - Moreno

Lallana - Wijnaldum - Oxlade

Wilson - Werner - Woodburn​

Lovely jubbly.

Jayus20

I wonder if Harry Wilson comes into the mix next season?

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/...pressive-form-with-latest-goal-for-hull-city/

Doing very very well on loan at Hull.

Interesting also that Woodburn is playing as a no.9 today v's City for the U19s, I wonder if he'll become an understudy to not only the widemen but Firmino as well? Certainly has all the attributes.

Would be great if both pushed on and became credible squad options, looking that way.

My wishes haven't changed at all really, the only question is if Karius stays or not - One for Klopp, but I'll assume we want a new no.1

GK - Alisson
CB - Gimenez
CM - Jorginho
FW - Werner

No major surgery required, just upgrading some positions with top class players.

First 11;

Alisson

Clyne - Gimenez - VVD - Robertson

Henderson - Jorginho - Keita

Salah - Firmino - Mane​

2nd 11;

Karius

TAA - Gomez - Matip - Moreno

Lallana - Wijnaldum - Oxlade

Wilson - Werner - Woodburn​

Lovely jubbly.
On the basis Werner literally told Sky Germany that he will "definitely" be at Leipzig next season and the fact Leipzig are incredibly difficult to negotiate with you're only going to be disappointed if he's who you want. Also where's Milner in your second 11? Been excellent lately, deserves to be ahead of Lallana and Gini on current form. Also since when is Matip a LCB, he's always played RCB and he's bad enough there, rather keep Lovren personally as he doesn't look like a bambi on ice. We won't sign a striker I'm 99% sure of that, we will most likely sign a young left winger/forward to help rotate our front line like a Pulisic (who plays both left and right), Bailey or Lemar.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
On the basis Werner literally told Sky Germany that he will "definitely" be at Leipzig next season and the fact Leipzig are incredibly difficult to negotiate with you're only going to be disappointed if he's who you want. Also where's Milner in your second 11? Been excellent lately, deserves to be ahead of Lallana and Gini on current form. Also since when is Matip a LCB, he's always played RCB and he's bad enough there, rather keep Lovren personally as he doesn't look like a bambi on ice. We won't sign a striker I'm 99% sure of that, we will most likely sign a young left winger/forward to help rotate our front line like a Pulisic (who plays both left and right), Bailey or Lemar.
The thread is titled who would you buy.. Milner will be 33 next season, with Keita/Jorginho coming in he may want a swansong as a regular starter elsewhere.

Claymenza

We have a bit of a dilemma with how many midfielders we have in the ranks that are at the same level.

Among the english lads: Henderson and Milner offer similar traits, while ox and lallana are different who can play on the wing as well. This makes them more selectable. Between wyjnaldum and can, they are also decent players too except Can is most likely going to juve next season.

I don't think wyjnaldum is any better than the above players. That's why klopp has this tough job, he needs to make a tough decision over which of the midfielders will make way, even if they are happy here.

Jayus20

The thread is titled who would you buy.. Milner will be 33 next season, with Keita/Jorginho coming in he may want a swansong as a regular starter elsewhere.
I get that but I'd buy Dybala, De Bruyne, Umtiti and De Gea if I could but I know I can't. Never really see the point in saying names if they're not realistic myself, but I guess if you view it as realistic then fair enough. Maybe but I doubt it, I'd expect him to see his contract out at least.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I get that but I'd buy Dybala, De Bruyne, Umtiti and De Gea if I could but I know I can't. Never really see the point in saying names if they're not realistic myself, but I guess if you view it as realistic then fair enough. Maybe but I doubt it, I'd expect him to see his contract out at least.
We are actively being linked to him by the independent and now TAW.. Both pretty credible, so its not that unrealistic.

Jayus20

We are actively being linked to him by the independent and now TAW.. Both pretty credible, so its not that unrealistic.
Yeah fair enough, but we've been linked with him a lot in the past and it never came to fruition and with him saying 2 days ago he's "definitely" staying in RB next season it just makes it seem very unlikely he's going to leave to me. But yeah I can appreciate then why you see it as realistic, I retract my previous comments :-) however I still stand by that I don't see us signing a CF this summer I'd expect a young winger personally.

Anfield rd Dreamer

As it stands I'd be happy with the following squad for next season that I think would be realistic and good enough to compete at the top level.

Keeper: Karius, Reina, Grabara/George (best academy keeper as third choice).

Defence: Clyne, VvD, Tah, Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Gomez, Moreno.

Midfield: Fabinho, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Milner.

Forward: Salah, Firmino, Lemar, Mane, Ings, Wilson, Solanke, Woodburn.

That's one free Bosman signing in Reina and three big deals coming in at CB, holding midfield and left sided attack. Alternatives in brackets Tah (Romagnoli or Rugani), Fabinho (Rabiot or Jorginho), Lemar (Bailey or Pulisic).

Think that's a lot of expense but seriously what I'd love to see.

Ward and Grujic would be on long term loans along with development loans for some academy kids. Everyone else not listed would be sold.

LFCFFC

Re the talk on Lascelles - he strikes me as another Michael Keane. A good player in a system geared to total team defense with at least 1 dedicated DM shielding at all times. Given the demands Klopp places directly on our two CBs, I could see him struggling tbh.

SBYM

I'm just living the dream
[B]LFC Transfer Room[/B]‏ @[B]LFCTransferRoom[/B]
Real Madrid have made AS Roma goalkeeper Alisson Becker their priority ahead of Thibaut Courtois & David De Gea. Aware of the various interest, Monchi (Roma’s director of football) plans to offer the Brazilian a new contract with a €90M release clause. [@mundodeportivo] #LFC

[B]LFC Transfer Room[/B]‏ @[B]LFCTransferRoom[/B]
Francesc Aguilar also writes that not only will Alisson’s new contract offer have a €90M (£79.5M) release fee, but it will also pay €4M (£3.5M) a year. Apparently Real also want to bring in Harry Kane, Edin Hazard & Robert Lewandowski.
What do you do with a drunken sailor? What do you do with a drunken sailor?

What do you do with a drunken sailor early in the morning?

jredp

just saying like,
think we should sign up this lad Jorginho from Napoli, after all, we didn't do too badly signing up players from Seria A before, re: Coutinho and Salah.
having said that, I also think we shouldn't sign any Italian players, because they don't fit into our system