• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Good morning and...

:shocked:
Don't tell Klopp
Don't tell Firmino
Don't tell Robertson
And please don't tell that to our #8 pairing.

Coutinho - defensively NEVER a Klopp type of player. Defensively the weak link in our midfield3. Could hardly run after 70 minutes (ironically always fit enough for a dribbling with the ball).

I think many will agree that our best (overall) midfield performances under Klopp (for many games in a row) came at the start of the 16/17 season. Klopp probably still getting wet dreams thinking about our #8 pairing (Lallana and Wijnaldum) running all over the pitch without the ball.
I think you are half right personally. Coutinho no is not a Klopp type of player, but even Klopp could see the guy was world class. He is a player you fit into your team due to his sole ability, but if a massive bid arrives you rationally believe you can improve the sum of the whole team by replacing him with players more suited to your game.

dee87lfc

Grumpy Bastard
Think, and this is a statement I'd never thought I'd never say, with the form of Robbo at left back and Clyne coming back we are only one centre back away from having a decent back four. If Klavan or whoever is to go in the summer I'd make a move for Samuel Umtiti. Apparently his buyout clause is £60m and with United sniffing around the one thing Mourinho knows is defensive players. Surely playing for us and Klopp is a more attractive option than United if he does leave Spain

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I think you are half right personally. Coutinho no is not a Klopp type of player, but even Klopp could see the guy was world class. He is a player you fit into your team due to his sole ability, but if a massive bid arrives you rationally believe you can improve the sum of the whole team by replacing him with players more suited to your game.
I never doubted Coutinhos world class attacking skills. I would even go that far and say we never saw the best of him because he could never play as a #10 (his best position probably) at Liverpool. La Liga is weaker than the PL and it will probably suit him even more so i expect him to be one of the best there next season.

BUT defensively not my cup of tea - and probably Klopps neither.

Think, and this is a statement I'd never thought I'd never say, with the form of Robbo at left back and Clyne coming back we are only one centre back away from having a decent back four. If Klavan or whoever is to go in the summer I'd make a move for Samuel Umtiti. Apparently his buyout clause is £60m and with United sniffing around the one thing Mourinho knows is defensive players. Surely playing for us and Klopp is a more attractive option than United if he does leave Spain
Maybe many people feel sorry for Clyne because of his injury nightmare but tbh he never really impressed here. He had a few good games (most of them when Mané played in front of him. I can remember times where he had the same 'reputation' as Loven, Moreno and Mignolet.

I'm sure he will find it very hard to be first choice RB again.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
You think Umtiti would leave Barca for United or us for that matter??

Jayus20

Maybe many people feel sorry for Clyne because of his injury nightmare but tbh he never really impressed here. He had a few good games (most of them when Mané played in front of him. I can remember times where he had the same 'reputation' as Loven, Moreno and Mignolet.

I'm sure he will find it very hard to be first choice RB again.
What are you talking about? I don’t ever remember Clyne having that reputation! He’s always been known for being reliable and solid at the back, just lacking a bit of end product. That is certainly not the reputation of those guys, I wish they were as reliable as him.

What an absolute star this kid is, couldn't agree more he has everything and at such a young age too. Would be great beside VVD . Can only see him going straight to Barca unfortunately.
One advantage we have right now over Barcelona is first team football. We could offer him first team football at 18 for a top club in the PL next to his national teammate and captain, he’s really not going to get much more of an appealing offer anywhere else. He’d just sit on Barca’s bench if he left for them this summer and that’s not good at all for his development.

GermanRed

What are you talking about? I don’t ever remember Clyne having that reputation! He’s always been known for being reliable and solid at the back, just lacking a bit of end product. That is certainly not the reputation of those guys, I wish they were as reliable as him.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fans-pick-best-xi-13112047

I remember some mistakes from him where he let his opponent make a cross too easy. Sometimes too soft/challgenes with not enough intensity. Lacking end product like you wrote.

Jayus20

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fans-pick-best-xi-13112047

I remember some mistakes from him where he let his opponent make a cross too easy. Sometimes too soft/challgenes with not enough intensity. Lacking end product like you wrote.
Hmm fair enough but that's still very distant from a Moreno, Lovren or Mignolet reputation in my opinion. Not saying he'll definitely walk back in the side but just saying it's probably a little harsh on him categorising him with those 3 as generally he's always been pretty reliable, especially defensively.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
What an absolute star this kid is, couldn't agree more he has everything and at such a young age too. Would be great beside VVD . Can only see him going straight to Barca unfortunately.
He is a down to earth kid, 18 years old if Klopp wants him and approaches him I see no reason why he should not come to us.

dee87lfc

Grumpy Bastard
You think Umtiti would leave Barca for United or us for that matter??
None of us have an insight into his thinking. There is obviously an issue with the contract he is being offered at Barca if he hasn't signed it already. Maybe make the bid to match the release clause and see what happens

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
None of us have an insight into his thinking. There is obviously an issue with the contract he is being offered at Barca if he hasn't signed it already. Maybe make the bid to match the release clause and see what happens
Isn't the issue ffp related rather than player unhappy with deal?

NYRhockey

Sorry to write that but Coutinho had almost zero contribution to our defence. Zero tacking. Almost zero pressing. Almost zero tracking back. Fitness wise he was probably a weak link. With Robertson, VvD and Karius in now we improved at the back but I’m sure not having him in our midfield anymore is also a big factor.
I would not know how to measure his contribution to defense but one thing we have seen since he left is that our record has improved so i think what you say here is true. Phil is a wonderful attacking talent but not as laborious as our other midfielders can be when we don't have the ball.

dee87lfc

Grumpy Bastard
Isn't the issue ffp related rather than player unhappy with deal?
All the stories I'm reading seem to simply be about wages. Barca have a wage structure of tier 1, 2 & 3. Umtiti at the minute is in tier 3 and he thinks, probably rightly so, he should be moved to tier 2 with the players like Pique, Busquets and Rakitic. Now all this has come from media articles and whether they are 100% true or not remains to be seen. However what can't be debated is that their DOES seem to some kind of issue there, so again bid the buyout clause and see what happens. Nothing ventured nothing gained

vjcpatriot

Here's my new shopping list:

De Ligt. New #2 CB to pair with Van Dijk.
Fabinho. Very physical midfielder presence to protect our back four and allow our other midfielders to get forward without fear.
Werner. Adds a dangerous element of speed and finishing to spearhead our attack. Allows us to rest Firmino or at times play him at a #10 role instead.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
I would not know how to measure his contribution to defense but one thing we have seen since he left is that our record has improved so i think what you say here is true. Phil is a wonderful attacking talent but not as laborious as our other midfielders can be when we don't have the ball.
Nothing to do with VVD, Karius and Robertson as starters, maybe?

Coutinho's best football for Liverpool was his last six months for us. The problem was that we were having a lot of individual mistakes from our defense.

Also, when I think about Gotze, I find it funny people arguing Coutinho not being a Klopp player. And we were looking for Lemar in january, another "not a Klopp" player.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Coutinho's best football for Liverpool was his last six months for us. The problem was that we were having a lot of individual mistakes from our defense.

Also, when I think about Gotze, I find it funny people arguing Coutinho not being a Klopp player. And we were looking for Lemar in january, another "not a Klopp" player.
There are a lot of people thinking to play for Klopp you have to run yourself down the ground, cover the entire pitch at 15km/h for full 90 mins. On top of that you will need to know how to pass, press, score, dribble, tackle and intercept passes. That's where the problem lies. Salah isn't exactly a Klopp type of player too, you don't see him tackle, Mane either. Henderson hardly tackles too, he intercept passes, blocking players from gaining possession and picking up lose balls from duels between either of our other two midfielders. But not many seemed to see that. Need to stop this narrative of Klopp requires his players to be full all rounder.

Anyway, since you're from Brazil... what do you make of that Talisca fella? Apparently rumours making rounds about us interested in him...
http://readliverpoolfc.com/2018/03/23/liverpool-linked-with-a-move-for-anderson-talisca/

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
There are a lot of people thinking to play for Klopp you have to run yourself down the ground, cover the entire pitch at 15km/h for full 90 mins. On top of that you will need to know how to pass, press, score, dribble, tackle and intercept passes. That's where the problem lies. Salah isn't exactly a Klopp type of player too, you don't see him tackle, Mane either. Henderson hardly tackles too, he intercept passes, blocking players from gaining possession and picking up lose balls from duels between either of our other two midfielders. But not many seemed to see that. Need to stop this narrative of Klopp requires his players to be full all rounder.

Anyway, since you're from Brazil... what do you make of that Talisca fella? Apparently rumours making rounds about us interested in him...
http://readliverpoolfc.com/2018/03/23/liverpool-linked-with-a-move-for-anderson-talisca/
Agree with your first paragraph, mate.

Anderson Talisca was called by Tite to Brazil squad. He is a very versatile player. Can play as CM, AM, second striker or False 9. Also, he is very tall. His finishing is really good, especially from long distance. His pass is good, but a bit too risky at times. He is not very fast, though and defensive wise he is not very good (but not very bad, he is decent)

I'd really like him playing for Liverpool, as a squad player. It would be a kinda inexpensive player and almost a starter, able to play in multiple positions. A nice adition. For something like £20~30m, a great buy.

NYRhockey

yes, which is why in my response to GermanRed saying i agreed with what he wrote i bolded the part where he mentions just that "With Robertson, VvD and Karius in now we improved at the back but I’m sure not having him in our midfield anymore is also a big factor"

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
I am sure Klopp did everything in his power to try convince the rat to stay.
He was world class and makes a huge difference. Everyone knows what a big difference he could have made in the UCL for us this season.
And the second best thing is get huge money and use it to improve the squad, which we are confident Klopp will do.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Ian write was saying on Fanzone that we should go for Toby alderweireld, which would weaken Spurs and we would get a solid CB partner for VVD.
Interesting and could be worth a try?
Toby , Lemar , Werner ! That would be a good window!

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
All the stories I'm reading seem to simply be about wages. Barca have a wage structure of tier 1, 2 & 3. Umtiti at the minute is in tier 3 and he thinks, probably rightly so, he should be moved to tier 2 with the players like Pique, Busquets and Rakitic. Now all this has come from media articles and whether they are 100% true or not remains to be seen. However what can't be debated is that their DOES seem to some kind of issue there, so again bid the buyout clause and see what happens. Nothing ventured nothing gained
Yes, but from what i read the issue isnt that Barca are not willing to pay him that money, but because of FFP rules they simply cant move him into bracket 1 or 2 until the new season because of their spending on Coutinho and Dembele (and others?) has already put them on the edge of what they can spend with out breaching FFP.

By all means if the club want him, sound him out - but there may not be a wedge between him and his club.

GermanRed

So with Palace, Southampton, West Brom and Stoke there are 4 Teams we probably would not expect to be fighting against relegation so late in the season. Any players from those 4 you like us to sign even if it would be just for our bench?

Don’t think that any West Brom players would even make our bench tbh lol

Shaqiri probably Stokes best player. He prefers the right wing but we have enough players who can play there.

Zaha from Palace maybe.

Don’t even want to think about negotiations with Southampton :rolleyes:

Jayus20

So with Palace, Southampton, West Brom and Stoke there are 4 Teams we probably would not expect to be fighting against relegation so late in the season. Any players from those 4 you like us to sign even if it would be just for our bench?

Shaqiri probably Stokes best player. He prefers the right wing but we have enough players who can play there.

Zaha from Palace maybe.

West Brom no one. I wouldn't even want Shaqiri personally, feels like a very Everton signing and he's pretty injury prone. Only players I'd consider from Palace would be Zaha and Wan-Bissaka (seen him 3 games now against United, Chelsea and us and he's been a top player in each, especially for only being 20). Southampton would only probably be Bertrand as competition/back up for Robertson if we were to sell Moreno this summer and had some spare cash (which I don't think we will sell him).

Dave-D

Zaha from Palace maybe.

Would have Zaha and Bertrand. Zaha as back up/rotation for the front three but mainly Mane and Bertrand as a Moreno replacement. Both would help add quality depth to positions lacking in depth. Neither would be cheap tho even if both Palace and Southampton got relegated

GermanRed

Looks like the Mario Lemina hype is over.

Moreno entering the final year of his contract could be a 'problem'. Extend or sell I would say - don’t need another Emre Can story next year even if Moreno is just a back up now.

Zaha is a very good player but often looks like a finished article. Klopp could definitely use him but don’t know if he could improve him or turn him into a Klopp player.

Probably best to stay away from these players. Very very few players from non Top6 clubs would make it on our bench let alone our first11. That also shows how far we have come. Can’t see a signing like Wijnaldum (we bought him from relegated Newcastle) happen.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think we're shopping at a different level now, but there is only really Bertrand I'd take, and even then, I don't think we need him.

I get the feeling with Zaha that he needs to be a big fish in a small pond. I don't think a move here to understudy Mane suits anyone. Not him, and I think we only get half the player if he can't player week in week out.

If Zaha wants a step up I think Everton would be a good shout, and I think he could also do well at Arsenal.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Not a suggestion for the now, but 1 for the future,

Scott McKenna at Aberdeen, a big strong lad, 21 yrs old with a sweet left foot,
plays CB and just broke into the Scotland team,

Watched him in both his Scotland appearances and he more than held his own.
Ok, they were playing the mighty Costa Rica then Hungary away,
But for a 21 year old making his debut the lad did well,

What struck me was his passing abilities from the back, some of his passing up field was class,
He is also highly thought of up here in Scotland, rated as 1 of the best CB in Scotland,
maybe worth a punt, before someone else snaps him up on the cheap

Did a youtube search for him and this is all I could find......

Fluke :)

Last edited:

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Zaha's a fantastic talent, would have him here in a heartbeat. He's an absolute nightmare to defend against, that combination of pace, strength and skill is rare. Would absolutely improve under Klopp and in this Liverpool team too.

Lemina is a good player but maybe not quite a starter, although I think he's an upgrade on the likes of Gini for me. Not what we need for now.

Bertrand is a very good player but left back is not a priority anymore.

Nobody else is worth consideration. Wan-Bisakka seems to have made an impression on some people but I haven't been paying close enough attention personally. Romeu used to impress me but not so much recently. Nobody from Stoke is worth a look in.