• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I disagree with a lot of your assessment (Hendo and Wijnaldum can play anywhere in midfield, but Pulisic, Draxler and Jorginho are exactly my priority three.
With Draxler (wo can play LCM and LW) in i don’t think we would need another winger.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
With Draxler (wo can play LCM and LW) in i don’t think we would need another winger.
You'd take Draxler for the left, and obviously he'd play deeper in some games, which is how you sell him 30 games.

With Pulisic, he'd play on the right, and I'd be promising him 15-20 game plus sub appearances, before taking over from Salah in a couple of years.

RedForever2014

Your maths might be off a bit.
2 + 2 + 2 + 4 + 1 = 11
3 + 3 + 7 = 13

So that’s 24 outfield players.
2 right backs, 2 left backs, 4 centre backs, 1 versatile = 9
3 strikers, 3 wingers = 6
7 central/attacking midfielders = 7

Sounds like 22 to me.

GermanRed

You'd take Draxler for the left, and obviously he'd play deeper in some games, which is how you sell him 30 games.

With Pulisic, he'd play on the right, and I'd be promising him 15-20 game plus sub appearances, before taking over from Salah in a couple of years.
We have Mané and Ox who can cover Salahs position.
I’d be very happy with Draxler and Harry Wilson behind Mané for the left wing next season.
Good thing about Draxler is that he would 'save' us one new signing because he is great on both positions. Not sure about the idea of Pulisic or Lemar for the #8 position.

Hound

Another reason to think that we won’t bring in another CB in the summer is the fact that with Clyne now back Joe Gomez will probably finally be moved to CB.
———————————

In midfield I think the last few weeks could have changed Klopps mind with the possibility to bring in Keita + 2 new midfielders - one DM as Emre Can replacement and one CAM as replacement for Coutinhos Flair/Magic even if we don’t sell Wijnaldum or Lallana.

In DM our targets are Jorginho or Neves.

A (left) winger should also come in.

But I wonder who the CAM could be. Don’t has to be the most expensive player or a big name. Maybe Ceballos or Lanzini? Any suggestions?
Houssem Aouar.

vjcpatriot

It's a tough sell to tell someone they are taking over for Salah in a couple of years. It's like telling the guy, oh yeah when that Ronaldo guy hangs em up, the position is all yours mate! Or, yeah you know you'll be backing up Messi, in 24 months tops you're our starter!

No, Pulisic is valuable to us if he can adjust to playing all the wing positions and the #10. It's not a selling point to tell him - yeah you're gonna be taking over for that 25 year old Ballon D'Or candidate. Not even close!

Draxler on the other hand sounds like a better fit. At left wing he can spell Mane and he can drop back to left midfielder or CM, he will get his starts. Now the question becomes, does he want to leave PSG for Liverpool? It does sound like he is getting frustrated at PSG though...

Last edited:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It's a tough sell to tell someone they are taking over for Salah in a couple of years. It's like telling the guy, oh yeah when that Ronaldo guy hangs em up, the position is all yours mate! Or, yeah you know you'll be backing up Messi, in 24 months tops you're our starter!

No, Pulisic is valuable to us if he can adjust to playing all the wing positions and the #10. It's not a selling point to tell him - yeah you're gonna be taking over for that 25 year old Ballon D'Or candidate. Not even close!

Draxler on the other hand sounds like a better fit. At left wing he can spell Mane and he can drop back to left midfielder or CM, he will get his starts. Now the question becomes, does he want to leave PSG for Liverpool? It does sound like he is getting frustrated at PSG though...
I don't think Pulisic would have any trouble being on the left or CAM for us. In fact I could see Klopp using him as the first main option for left forward. With Salah covering Firmino then Mane would get plenty of games at left forward or right forward and all four would play what would be considered a full season!

Jayus20

2 right backs, 2 left backs, 4 centre backs, 1 versatile = 9
3 strikers, 3 wingers = 6
7 central/attacking midfielders = 7

Sounds like 22 to me.
Your counting is wrong ,you've included the GK's as part of our outfield players.
Oh rip my bad, didn’t even think about the “outfield” bit just was thinking players even with me saying outfield.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I would consider purchasing Shaqiri. Rumour has it he has a relegation release clause and can be had on the cheap.

Would make a decent backup to Mane/Salah. Something we are missing. If he playes well enough I could even see him keeping Mane out of the team at times.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
I would consider purchasing Shaqiri. Rumour has it he has a relegation release clause and can be had on the cheap.

Would make a decent backup to Mane/Salah. Something we are missing. If he playes well enough I could even see him keeping Mane out of the team at times.
Shaqiri at Lfc would be much better than Shaqiri at Stoke.Far superior option than we currently have.

Hound

Shaqiri is lazy, not that fast, and older than the starters Liverpool has. Highly unlikely that's where they go.

He would be a good fit for a sub-elite (read: not Juventus) Serie A team where his low work rate wouldn't be as much of a problem.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I’d be a bit underwhelmed if we get shaqiri considering in three weeks we play a champions league final.

Even given what Klopp can do with unfashionable players, it certainly lacks imagination.

I thought way back in the day we weren’t allowed to dream of top tier signings becuase of lack of CL football......well, we are one game away from winning the thing, surely our trolley isn’t being pushed down the Shaqiri aisle of the supermarket this summer?......surely?.......surely?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Sometimes it's hard to know what is tactical instructions and what is down to a player. As Stokes primary attacking star Shaqiri could well be under more instructions not to get as involved defensively like we seem to with Salah. There have been times when Shaqiri has been as active a tackler as Mane and he's more active defensively than Salah is this season. There was also nothing wrong with Shaqiris speed and acceleration before he started whatever outdated, Neolithic, fitness regime they have going over there. His explosiveness used to be a big weapon in his arsenal. If you ignore his time at Stoke Shaqiri is good enough to be a squad option here with potential to be a starting member of an attack. He never should have gone to that awful club who play such shit football who seem to think a balanced diet is having some salad on their kebab. Was the perfect home for someone like Charlie Adam.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Personally I have the feeling that Matip could be one of our most improved players next season.

As for Gomez IMO he should start at least every domestic cup game vs non Premier League sides as CB next season.
Not sure. Lower teams hit high balls into the box too usually.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
We should get around £50m for our fringe players though like Sturridge, Origi, Markovic, Mignolet, Flanagan, Randall and maybe Ojo, Kent, Ejaria and Grujic depending on how Klopp sees them integrating into the squad next year.
Not sure I see us get £50m for that lot. Studges is on big money and doesn't stay fit for example. Origi is in last year of contract. No-one has wanted to pay for Markovic for last two seasons.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Agree with @Anfield rd Dreamer on this one, pre-Stoke Shaqiri was a treat to watch. Saw him at Basel an tipped him to be quality. Was surprised he ended up at Stoke but he was never going to displace Robben in that Bayern side so opted for playing time.

That said, how much play time would he get here at LFC?

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I look at it from the perspective that if Klopp has £120M, perhaps £70M or £80M goes on one top player. Perhaps you may get two top players for £120m. Preferably a center back (Lovren replacement) and a midfielder (Can replacement).

Additional players will be based upon the income from sales. Selling Origi, Sturridge. Maybe Lallana or Lovren.

We won’t be shopping in Waitrose for all our players. Klopp will still need to strengthen the squad. Selling our fringe players means we will still try pick up bargains in Aldi.

K

Klopptinho

Agree with @Anfield rd Dreamer on this one, pre-Stoke Shaqiri was a treat to watch. Saw him at Basel an tipped him to be quality. Was surprised he ended up at Stoke but he was never going to displace Robben in that Bayern side so opted for playing time.

he went to inter for 6 months too and didn't pull up any trees . i'd give him a complete bypass . he's just one of those players that has this image of being great . Assaidi type of player . might do something brilliant a couple of times - might have a complete nightmare season .

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Yeah think, as much as I really really like him, the time he was right for us has passed. At one time, when he was leaving Basel or Bayern I'd have jumped at the chance. He'd have been a real great wing option that could have kicked on and become world class. Now he's 26, will turn 27 early next season. Still young enough to improve but will probably now never quite hit the potential he did have. He'd be a good option but think he'd always be behind Mane and Salah. We need to add someone who is a good enough option at left forward that they pretty much start there. Then Mane would get plenty of games on the left still but more on the right with Salah getting rests and Salah playing CF when Firmino rests. Don't think Shaqiri is that player right now. And if we had that player then we'd only need the likes of Wilson and Woodburn providing further depth on the wings. That's what I think we need now. Shaqiri is not currently good enough to be one of 4 starters for 3 positions and too good/expensive to be cover (where he'd also be blocking exciting young talent at the club).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
he went to inter for 6 months too and didn't pull up any trees . i'd give him a complete bypass . he's just one of those players that has this image of being great . Assaidi type of player . might do something brilliant a couple of times - might have a complete nightmare season .
Inter were awful at the time and going through a real shit period. They changed managers half way through the season didn't they?

K

Klopptinho

Not sure I see us get £50m for that lot. Studges is on big money and doesn't stay fit for example. Origi is in last year of contract. No-one has wanted to pay for Markovic for last two seasons.
sturridge is almost in his last year.. i think 14 months left . send him on loan to rangers ? don't think he'll need to be fit for that league lol

K

Klopptinho

Inter were awful at the time and going through a real shit period. They changed managers half way through the season didn't they?
they might have done, dunno. but shaqiri was signed in january and played 9 games i think scored 1 and then they sold him to stoke for the same as they bought him £12m in the summer -the clamour for him wasn't that great and there must be a reason for that ? wouldn't normally expect a lad to go from bayern to inter to stoke in that time frame . They got bojan too and he had flitted from one club to another .. i think i heard something about shaqiris attitude not being great .

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Would prefer a somebody like Adama Traore to Shaqiri if we're looking for depth on the wings. He's developed recently and he is the perfect player to bring on after 65 when our legs are starting to go (much better than Ings or Solanke).

We need a top level player before signing anybody like that though. Bailey's probably top of that list for me.

K

Klopptinho

Would prefer a somebody like Adama Traore to Shaqiri if we're looking for depth on the wings. He's developed recently and he is the perfect player to bring on after 65 when our legs are starting to go (much better than Ings or Solanke).

We need a top level player before signing anybody like that though. Bailey's probably top of that list for me.
yes!!! yes!! yes!! i'm sorry @ILLOK but i've been saying sign traore for about as long as i have been here lol lol he's got that raw talent pace and dribbling ability that could be moulded into a proper pressing counter attack style player . doubt he'd cost that much IF boro don't come up .

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
yes!!! yes!! yes!! i'm sorry @ILLOK but i've been saying sign traore for about as long as i have been here lollol he's got that raw talent pace and dribbling ability that could be moulded into a proper pressing counter attack style player . doubt he'd cost that much IF boro don't come up .
He's a bit of a headless chicken but that seems to be getting curtailed. No doubt about it, if he puts it together he will be a very useful player. Quite possibly the quickest player in the game over 15 yards or so.

I'm not that fussed with the end product side of it, a player like Traore is a great out ball when under pressure. To use an American footy phrase, he gains yards for the side. Had we had a player like that against Roma x2 or West Brom or Sevilla I doubt we'd have conceded so many.

GermanRed

Not sure. Lower teams hit high balls into the box too usually.
You‘re probably right but actually it doesn’t matter against who but he should start games as CB soon. I remember that was used as LB under Rodgers, then last year he had his injury and this season he played RB. I know Joe Gomez is still young but a fourth year not playing CB I don’t think that would be a good idea.

Maybe a loan to a PL team with guaranteed games as CB would be the best for him but that scenario is very unlikely - that’s one of the negatives you get from reaching a CL final - players don’t want to leavelol

So if we go into the next season with the 5 CBs we have already Klopp should tell the players: 'Virgil is my #1 and Ragnar my #5 for emergencies. The other three Joel, Dejan and Joe - pre season and every training session is a fair race for #2'.