Who would you buy?

Jayus20

I honestly think my concern more than anything with us potentially not signing a top keeper this summer is that it may cost us trophies again and then our best players may start to want to force moves and I honestly couldn't blame them. If I was working in a company where I felt other colleagues weren't doing as good of a job as me and were costing me success then I'd definitely be looking for better opportunities elsewhere. I'll honestly be incredibly disappointed in Klopp if he doesn't sign a keeper this summer. We've been desperate for one for 5 years and yes £90m on Oblak is an incredible amount of money but end of the day if we get Fekir at a reduced price and go cheap on Shaqiri why can't we afford that? He'd fix our goalkeeping issue for probably 5-10 years and it's a position that's just so important because confidence across the team stems from that back line and if there are reservations from our players about Karius (as there should be) then it's going to be noticeable in the team morale and will most likely affect performance because players won't be able to solely focus on their own game. If we want to compete with City then we need to be ambitious. He's fixed all other key issues in this club lately: lack of pace, CB, LB, CDM and he's trying to now fix strength in depth. That leaves us with one clear issue: a top GK. It just can't be ignored if we want to win the league and win trophies. I really hope something gets done like the Fabinho deal where it's out of nowhere.

Wilkored08

We keep seeing names bandied round...and probably deals being worked out, before the press are informed....I hope we have some news soon 'cause all the best bargains will be gone....

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If he signs Butland and a center-back of high quality, i'd be okay with that otherwise it is unsatisfactory.
Nope... for £30m, I'd rather him persuade Mignolet to stick around a little while longer. If he is going to sign a Van Dijk like centre half, might as well not sign a keeper and use the money for other spots that may need better backups.

GermanRed

- PSG has to sell players worth £60m by the end of June.

- Jerome Boateng is allowed to speak to other clubs.

Start discussions now

Steve_LFC

There is a clear line between desperation and just stupidity.
He is 40 years old and I have watched a ton of his games. He has lost his mobility, wasn’t as commanding, didn’t come out and off the line quick enough and his shot stopping has suffered.

He is a fading light and the idea he is better than our current keepers is arrant nonsense.
http://www.squawka.com/en/news/gian...ying-for-liverpool/244621#ybPV9FuvZByMavMy.97

I expect Buffon to go to PSG, but he did in fact say that Liverpool was one of the teams he used to dream of playing for.
There is a 2yr deal on table with PSG. But it may fall through because FFP.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
If you look at the past 40+ years, across all of Europe, there are maybe only 5 real dynasty teams: Real, Barca, Bayern, Juve and ...Ajax. You might also put PSG and City too in that category, nowadays. Previously, very many others teams too - like ManU for a long sustained period more recently, our very own LFC too – although, in the ever-more distant past. Milan of course as well. Maybe come various Portugese or Scottish, Turkish, even Skakthar a bit as well sides too – but never to the same extent.

To stay at the very top – domestically, for sure, and also many times internationally too, then a club must constantly re-invent itself, possess a stellar academy (often), buy well from domestic feeder clubs, and either poach top players at the more sub-top teams Europe-wide (for often mega-bucks - like Luis, Xabi, Masch and Cou ...ouch,ouch and even more ouch!) or else buy so very astutely indeed in the more afforable leagues. Ajax the only club of this quintet that we ourselves could realistically poach from. We could raid the others, but only for their cast-offs – like Illarmendi-type picks. Not the same.

Your main advantage of buying the very best players from a “must win” team I would contend, is to then acquire players who are already very familiar with playing in a “must win” environment. Even taking this present millenium alone and even with Ajax no longer being any kinda heavyweight team internationally (which is all about da money), the list is still mightily impressive and long – Suarez, Zlatan, Maxwell (a phenomenal player btw!), Sneijder, v/d Vaart, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Vermalen, Chivu, Davinson, Huntelaar, Felipe Luis (Athletico), Nigel de Jong, Cillessen (cough, cough ...and ahem, and even yes too!), Blind junior, Krohn-Dehli, Mido (maybe best Egyptian player, before you know who), Pienaar, Heitinga, Klaassen etc.

We did get one of these in Suarez, under Sir Kenny back-then, but for sure Eriksen and Alderweireld were also very extremely affordable and very ready for a step-up and already battle-hardened by years of playing semi-endless amounts of simply must-win games (and also forced to also always entertain the fickle fans too, as (at Ajax) just winning is never enough, you must always win whilst playing attacking and attractive football). The latest possibile swoop here is Ajax’s superstar in Hakim Ziyech.

Most people in Holland do lazy tout a Ziyech move to AS Roma, but some do question this step upwards-and-onwards too ...and make no mistake here, Ziyech is 100% determined and utterly wants to get to the absolute Top of the game. He’s incredibly ambitious (and he makes no secret of it either, which means so many Ajax fans just blindly do hate on him). Ziyech never plays the game safe, he just always plays the instant vertical killer-ball, over-and-over again. The greatish Kenneth Perez (of Denmark) who was slightly similar qua playing style just instantly compared Ziyech to Roma as akin to Klaassen to Everton aka you can just always instantly ruin your mid-twenties career (100% and completely too), with even one bad choice move. Roma have a pretty slowish and even static forward-line mostly based around Dzeko (who is actually false slow) and the very HQ Argentine wing guy, who very puzzingly did not make their Russia WC 2018 squad. Then what? Just a power CM trio, so where would he play?

Indeed, Perez said that a club like LFC – with it’s always-on-the-move and it’s very-stellar front- trio - should be the type-of-club for Ziyech to really aim for ...as that type of instant-attacking-transitions environment would simultaneously showcase all-of-his tremendous playmaking skills to the full, whilst also not ever highlighting his more weaker-points. I would whole-heartedly agree here myself. I would seriously hope that LFC is very soon all-over Ziyech too. Not too expensive, very highly skilled ...and a very ruthlessly ambitious player too. Same as Suarez once was for us. We were his last-stop to the top.

I’ll post another 2017~18 Youtube video compilation below of the (in my eyes, simply incredible) talent that is Ziyech, and yes Youtube can be horribly misleading so very often ..but could any current (Klopp era) LFC shuttling-midfielder-type (even Oxlade or Lallana) produce anything like the sheer and unmistakeable quality of these kinda moves? Nope, methinks. No chance! Cou then? Maybe, but if that is our then agreed-upon comparison metric, then this 25 y.o. is actually pretty special indeed.

I’d imagine that Ziyech would only possibly replicate about 40+% of the above in the very frenetic, fast-paced EPL environment ...but that’s still more than enough, surely? Or is it not? I do think that it would be. Kiev exposed our CM then, as offering almost nothing, bar some huff-and-puff stuff. This area needs (and has needed) revamping very fast indeed, if Klopp actually wants to add some silverware to all of his promise, for us. We could do a whole lot worse here, than to just buy Ziyech, haha ;-)

PS: We (as LFC) almost bought Ziyech already this past January, after the Cou sale. Except that Ziyech did not want to become just a bench-rotation option for us, at that time. Nothing else offered. Fee of just 25m euros too. Now, maybe it's time to go all the way, albeit for a higher fee. Perfect Fekir replacement is Ziyech, who was himself a Cou replacement (was Fekir). Buy low and then sell high haha ...or else win some damn silverware, maybe Herr Klopp.
Excellent post. Definitely would like to see Ziyech now that Fekir looks too risky.

Klopptinho

Hirving Lozano aka “El chucky” aka “El Fénomeno”. No translation needed, haha.

Mexico’s new hope and no successor to Chicharito, maybe actually good-enough to displace Hugo S. ... as their best-ever player of all-time.

We nabbed Fabinho as an all-action CM/DM dynamo-type – possessing all-sorts of stellar numbers in all sorts of areas (aka an instant drop-in replacement for the very probably departing Emre Can ...probably even a simply massive upgrade in this recently very troublesome area of the pitch for us and it’s a very highly-complex and very pivotal playing position) ...with almost no internet traffic conjecture, just past our CL Final disappointment. Probably we will nab(y) a further 3 huge and major adds as the summer slowly progresses, and these are all 100% and fully needed too in this coming summer window. All-of-which is also excluding both just basically triggering Jan Oblak’s release-clause (aka not the Roma guy and haha ….and is also excluding Keita, as the latter is already long since done-and-dusted

We would to do well to be all-over this Lozano guy too atm IMO. The late run-in to 2017/18 saw a very tried team, one hit with multiple crucial injuries – just suddenly struggle like crazy to cope. Klopp experimented with Ings as a go-to guy in attack for several matches and it was just about beyond hopeless qua teamplay, inter-play, team dynamic etc. Solanke then? Nope, no answers there. Moreno then? Again no. Clyne? Nope. Origi? Long gone already. Youth then? Nope. Sturridge? Ouch. Passes from CM? No.

PSV in Holland have a real history of simply unearthing hidden gems in S. America. Think Ronaldo or Romario etc. €8m for Lozano last term from Pachuca in Mexico. 20x MOTM btw. Win-after-win. Now worth? About €40m at minimum. A stellar WC 2018? Then maybe €80m+. Think Davinson from Ajax to Spurs etc here. Some proper duds if you do want to buy from Dutch eredivisie or else some world-beaters. There is almost no middle ground ever to be had. Brighton nabbed a horrible CF in Locadia for €20m. A disaster simply waiting to happen. No obvious kick-ass skills, no ball-control, no footie intelligence. PSV must have thanked the stars that night, to off-load a very poor player for some mega-bucks to some very foolish EPL team.

Lozano however possesses almost everything to become an absolute superstar in football. Sensational skills and so very many different skills too. He simply takes a mean and very whipped corner and ditto free-kick too (both always designed to assist a goal and to not shoot at goal) and he’s also very alive to the probing and calculated and deliberate through-ball as well. 3x assists this past season in every single one of these categories. Nobody in all of world-football beats that 3x ouput. Which puts him equal to the entire LFC squad combined in all-of this past-season qua these assists (and 6x of these types of assists came from Cou alone, in his just 18 games, with Ox at another 2 of these). Nobody else stood-up though, for these pattern-template kinda goals. The easier kinda goals to get, too.

Lozano is also just crazy fast, never hesitates a moment when getting the ball, dribbles like crazy, does not lose the ball so much and he loves to drift into the box and he loves to shoot at goal too. When he goal shoots, it’s almost always either 1st touch or else 2nd one. He does not hesitate ever. Any foot and any angle ...just go for it. OK too, to then maybe target row Z once-or-twice a match too or to hit it to corner flag haha. This kid is kinda still pretty young etc. Voted best player in Holland, best young attacker in all-of-europe by EPLindex haha. Maybe best Mex player ever, aka so very highly touted as such. serial winner in Mex too, slowly being groomed for El Tri too.

He actually and very seriously does so very closely remind me of when the great Ronnie Whelan first started playing for LFC. Just like a bolt out the blue. So dynamic, so much pace, no respect at-all for any opponent faced. Always getting into goal-scoring positions, and then converting the chances, all cool-as-f**k like too. Lozano’s a young lad (now 23 y.o.) with absolutely no fear for any opponent. If an opponent defender wants to get nasty-and-dirty with him, like every single defender in EPL did when Torres arrived for us aka to just kick his achilles non-stop all-game (cq seasons) long, which eventually scuppered his pace. Torres then just rolled around in agony, often pleading or begging to the Refs for some protection, which he very sadly so often did not get.

Lozano is nothing like that though. He achieved 10 straight Red cards, for Pachuca and last year another 2x Reds for PSV – and yet he is an extremely cultured player in essence. No Nigel de Jong thug-type at all. The complete opposite even. But ...you wanna f*k with me, then you are f**king gonna pay for it! Also a bit like Whelan here aka the almost exact same and the so much-needed nasty streak. Only way to deal with these f**k-wits too. They hit you so very hard and try to shake you up, then you come back over the top and just hit them with everything single thing you have. As that´s the only language they will ever understand. Only real way to deal with a bully, is to just smash him right back. Only to then do just it ten times harder. Just like Whelan once did for us too ...as he was a proper nasty f**ker too, whenever it just had to be that way. Proper cultured footabller too though. Same position too aka LW (aka Chucky can also play RW too) and then drifting in to intent.

Lozano and if you tackle him hard, then he’ll maybe break your jaw next time around haha. Which then maybe gets Oppo players very scared indeed. They just love to dish it out, but for sure not to receive it so much haha. Lozano’s game is all-about fearless one-touch control of the ball and then just propelling himself, into instant action. Ultra-fast play, mazy dribbles, darting moves, shimmy feints, proper heads-up play etc. Then you just cannot allow yourself to be intimidated or else to be put-off your game, by the far more limited players that you will face aka the Ramos’s of this world. The second Salah departed in kiev, we just withdrew into our shell, auto-dropped back a small but very crucial 5 yards. Then it was just-about game over. No possible replacement for Salah then. Lallana did very OK in Klopp's first season, but is now in no way a front-3 option for us anymore. Who then? Can into CM and maybe a diamond shape or else some wildly experimental stuff with maybe promoting Moreno to a speedy LW sub-in, as BR did use him there before about 20 times in 2014~5 stuff, some good some bad. We just had no real bench options. Lozano though is almost an indenikit sub-in. I'm also 99% sure that he would have the hunger to not only be an option, but to also play all games for us too. Plus that is not based on any wish stuff, this lad has just got it all.

Lozano signed last-week to mega agent Raiola, which means one-thing aka an accelerated move upwards. He’s already ready to tackle a major 5 league IMO and a fully major team within that league IMO. He will move on-and-up very fast now. A mega WC outing would surely see his fee just sky-rocket IMO. This young lad has just-about got it all. Lozano’s now coach at Mexico NT, was actually Davinson’s coach at AN in Columbia before signing for Ajax, who then sky-rocketed to an EL Final and then a mega-transfer to Spurs, where he has done so very well. Osorio then almost begged Lozano to 100% consider only Holland as the ultimate and almost perfect stepping-stone to arrive at the very top-level of the game. The Dutch style of play will just perfect and hone your own game and better your own output levels of goals and assists, he then advised Lozano last summer. Don’t go for some instant cash, just go to Holland instead. Osorio also adviced a certain other mega-talent (in our once own Luis Suarez), to not be too impatient but instead to just go to Holland (first Groningen (same as Vvd btw and then Ajax) and to fully learn the game there and to improve and then ever more improve. Dutch football might not have have the status it once had internationally, but the coaching standards and the learning of how-to-play to the very-best of your ability has not ever disappeared, just because the local talent pool is far less-gifted these days.

I’ve already compared Loazano to the young Ronnie Whelan qua play (and that’s maybe the best compliment I could maybe ever give to any player), but Lozano also reminds me a bit of the young Suarez too. I’m almost 90% convinced that Lozano will win FOTY globally sometime in the 2020’s . At least, both Messi and CR7 will be long retired by then, so no more monopoly on the worldwide POTY annual awards. So maybe some chance for someone else to win this award.

I'm sure some more vocal forum members may appeal (even very strongly to the active Mods on TIA to just take this thread down (like right now) or else to demote it to a mention-only post in the highly unreliable transfer rumors section , haha.

I can offer no internet links at all of any web-based linkage between PSV and LFC or between Raiola/ Lozano and LFC or no Daily Mail articles. I can only base this thread on my own judgment call on and of this one very special player. I just 100% do believe that this kid is almost pre-destined to become an absolute superstar in world football. His red-card count is very misleading aka just protecting himself aka nothing malicious at all. He has almost no ego either, aka no overt social media presence stuff, no tattooed to the neck selfie cq instagram ego-trip posing stuff. He's very real, quite normal and very focused to just get to the absolute top of the game ...before his mid-twenties.

I would sign him yesterday, tomorrow, today. At any price, at any cost. If you do like a little betting flutter, I would even tip a small bet aka Lozano to win Ballon d’Or at any point in his playing career. Don’t take less than 1000/1 odds and don’t place a 1 quid wager either. At least a 100 quid punt, is what I’ve placed (at better odds too). This kid has almost everything in his locker, methinks. Crazy fast, serial dribbling, always alive, always playing as fast-as-possible. Maybe LFC could soon again surprise the fanbase yet again very soon here, with another unexpected M. Edwards move in the market.
@koptician

I'm a big fan of Chucky as well... fantastic player already but still very raw (that isn't an indication of how good he is now... because he is very good but an indication of how much better I think he can get). Sky's the limit for him.

Unfortunately I don't think we've been linked with him but someone I've said before that I would like to see here - even at the cost of scrimping somewhere else.

The two areas of our squad that require quality strength in-depth is up top and the goalkeeper position.

I would be satisifed if we now only buy two top notch players to give cover for out fab three up front and a WC GK to go straight in the first eleven.

The drop off in quality up top last season was glaring when anyone of our fab three weren't playing, we have shown already with our pursuit of Fekir, that this shortness in quality is being addressed, so we know a top quality addition will be added. Not sure who this will be. ( maybe still Fekir??.)

So hopefully the GK position will also be given the same "priority" attention as well.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Four positions needed significant investment this summer. Centre midfield, versatile high quality forward, goalkeeper and centre back.

Fabinho sorts midfield
Still have hopes for Fekir after world cup

If we can get that top drawer keeper we all crave then target the centre back. Pavard and de Lift make most sense as an investment. Im not gonna lose my shit if we don't upgrade keeper but won't be chuffed if only 2 out of the 4 glaring holes in our squad are addressed

@MarkMcC i would have the same view in the areas of our squad that need quality strength in-depth, there is no doubt you are right, but not sure how far our financial rescources will stretch, so that is why I would settle for top quality player for the forward line and a WC GK - plus the arrival of Keita and Fabinho. If these other holes can be filled so much the stronger we will be, then it would be happy days. :-)