Who would you buy?

King Kev

Sport Bild writes that Liverpool are one of four english clubs interested in Croatia and Eintracht Frankfurt player Ante Rebic.

My father and my brother are Eintracht supporters and i saw enough games of them to know that Rebic would fit into our style of football 100%.

Agent Lovren please take over!!!

Rebic or Shaqiri, Fekir and a good goalkeeper. That will make it a very good window for us IMO.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Sport Bild writes that Liverpool are one of four english clubs interested in Croatia and Eintracht Frankfurt player Ante Rebic.

My father and my brother are Eintracht supporters and i saw enough games of them to know that Rebic would fit into our style of football 100%.

Agent Lovren please take over!!!
Could Rebic be an option as a combative Firmino style CF?

GermanRed

Could Rebic be an option as a combative Firmino style CF?
Firminos style is unique IMO - we shouldn't even try to copy him. But Rebic can play as a striker and (left) wide. Definetly a player who would become world class under Klopp.

Fekir + Rebic would be a dream but unlikely as Shaqiri looks to be on his way to Liverpool. Rebic + Shaqiri wouldn't work as we would still need a playmaker.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Firminos style is unique IMO - we shouldn't even try to copy him. But Rebic can play as a striker and (left) wide. Definetly a player who would become world class under Klopp.

Fekir + Rebic would be a dream but unlikely as Shaqiri looks to be on his way to Liverpool. Rebic + Shaqiri wouldn't work as we would still need a playmaker.
Actually think Shaqiri could be an option at CAM under Klopp in the same way Klopp moved Gini and Ox central after mostly being used on the wings. If Rebic covers LF and CF and Shaqiri covers CAM and RF maybe that leaves enough left over to go all in on keeper? Assuming he'd be cheaper than Fekir?

GermanRed

Actually think Shaqiri could be an option at CAM under Klopp in the same way Klopp moved Gini and Ox central after mostly being used on the wings. If Rebic covers LF and CF and Shaqiri covers CAM and RF maybe that leaves enough left over to go all in on keeper? Assuming he'd be cheaper than Fekir?
Definetely cheaper than Fekir. Frankfurt had Rebic on loan for the 16/17 season. Then they loaned him again last season with an option to buy. Rebic officially became a full Frankfurt player this month i think. Interestingly his new contract runs only until summer 2021. His contract details were probably agreed with his second loan deal (think thats the way it works when a option to buy is inserted in loan deals). Who would have thought that he will play in the world cup semi back then? I think Rebic is available for under 40m

Your idea with Shaqiri as a playmaker - sorry i don't like it :eh?:

RedForever2014

I'm all for pragmatism and getting good deals, but I am concerned that some of what's muted doesn't represent an upgrading of the squad.

Fabinho and Keita have merely replaced Can and Coutinho in the squad, there's been no significant upgrading of the depth.

My concerns are as follows;

Keeper - for me this is extremely concerning. I defy anyone to argue that Karius is good enough. Does anyone in the top 6 have a worse keeper? IMO we have, at best, the 6th best keeper in the league.

Defence - even if Lovren returns unscathed from Russia, Matip (our third choice centre back) doesn't look good enough after two years in the PL and is also injury prone.

Central midfield - our only arguably issue free department. Let's hope Hendo returns unscathed and that we don't go and sell Gini after convincing ourselves, in typical LFC form, that we're overstocked there.

Attacking midfield - since we sold Coutinho we lack the type of player who unlocks tight defences and dictates the pace of the game. Other top sides have it in Silva, Hazard, Erikson. Oxlade isn't going to be fit until the new year and is a different type. Remember that we were second best against Roma until he got injured and Gini came on. Lallana is not the answer as a first choice regular AM/10.

Attack - beyond the first choice three we have no like for like quality and similar types. The others are either young, average or injury prone.

There are better keepers than Karius out there, we could upgrade Matip, we should be able to add at least one quality forward and/or 10.

It will be bad enough if we don't sort these issues, but if we start balancing books by selling useful players like Gini (instead of just selling those who don't contribute at the right level), let alone if we sanction yet another big name departure, it will I am afraid reinforce my view of those running the club.

nikz200

I'm all for pragmatism and getting good deals, but I am concerned that some of what's muted doesn't represent an upgrading of the squad.

Fabinho and Keita have merely replaced Can and Coutinho in the squad, there's been no significant upgrading of the depth.

Keeper - for me this is extremely concerning. I defy anyone to argue that Karius is good enough. Does anyone in the top 6 have a worse keeper? IMO we have, at best, the 6th best keeper in the league.

Defence - even if Lovren returns unscathed from Russia, Matip (our third choice centre back) doesn't look good enough after two years in the PL and is also injury prone.

Central midfield - our only arguably issue free department. Let's hope Hendo returns unscathed and that we don't go and sell Gini after convincing ourselves, in typical LFC form, that we're overstocked there.

Attacking midfield - since we sold Coutinho we lack the type of player who unlocks tight defences and dictates the pace of the game. Other top sides have it in Silva, Hazard, Erikson. Oxlade isn't going to be fit until the new year and is a different type. Remember that we were second best against Roma until he got injured and Gini came on. Lallana is not the answer as a first choice regular AM/10.

Attack - beyond the first choice three we have no like for like quality and similar types. The others are either young, average or injury prone.

There are better keepers than Karius out there, we could upgrade Matip, we should be able to add at least one quality forward and/or 10.

It will be bad enough if we don't sort these issues, but if we start balancing books by selling useful players like Gini (instead of just selling those who don't contribute at the right level), let alone if we sanction yet another big name departure, it will I am afraid reinforce my view of those running the club.

I think your wrong about Fabinho and Keita replacing Can and Coutinho in the squad. Not sure about Coutinho but Fabinho is a massive upgrade and vital need for us , we have been begging for a DM for years now and Can simply was not trusted to play that role.

I think Keeper, yes its a concern, but the club has said they won't buy anyone for the role , and so therefore, its Karius or Ward who get it. Look even if we buy a keeper there is no guarantees, remember the reason Karius was bought in the first place, it was because a lot of people didn't fancy Mignolet as the first team keeper. You can't force buy a keeper. City tried it with Bravo and it failed, Ospina to Arsenal failed as well.Joe Hart was once a England main stay only to be tossed aside by City and his career has gone downhill ever since, went to West Ham and completely bombed.

Defence We got big Virg and Lovren, matip and gomez are incosistent but young enough to turn it around, and Ragnar is a cover player.

I agree we need a AM, but there is a chance here that if the Shaqiri thing happens, then maybe Klopp can transform him into a AM. Not to mention that maybe Gini can be deployed in a further up position. Depending on the game, i think the midifield selection frees us up to experiment on the AM role, lets not forget that maybe even Keita might play that role. Wouldn't mind us buying a solid AM though.

The front 3 i think should be bolstered and players like Wilson, Solanke, maybe Shaqiri can provide something fro Klopp to think about, or at least be given some game time this season more so than ever.

I don't think we should buy for the sake of buying, especially players who don't fit our style or those who come in and expect to start right off the bat. This Rebic shout is too premature for me and quite frankly unless we sign a marquee player we should bothcc

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
We didn't need a significant upgrade in depth in midfield, we have 7 senior players (albeit Chamberlain is injured) for 3 positions. That's plenty, and there's the option to play Firmino in the 10 like we did against Brighton. Then you look at somebody like Curtis Jones...would it be so terrible to have to play a talented local kid for 2 or 3 games if a terrible injury crisis hit?

Not to forget, Coutinho was only available for about 1/3 of the season and Can missed plenty of games through injury too, so even just replacing those two with Keita and Fabinho is likely to be an upgrade in depth itself anyway.

Am I the only one who thinks a number 10 isn't absolutely necessary? Between Keita and Lallana (and Chamberlain when he returns) we have that boxed off.

RedForever2014

I think your wrong about Fabinho and Keita replacing Can and Coutinho in the squad. Not sure about Coutinho but Fabinho is a massive upgrade and vital need for us , we have been begging for a DM for years now and Can simply was not trusted to play that role.

I think Keeper, yes its a concern, but the club has said they won't buy anyone for the role , and so therefore, its Karius or Ward who get it. Look even if we buy a keeper there is no guarantees, remember the reason Karius was bought in the first place, it was because a lot of people didn't fancy Mignolet as the first team keeper. You can't force buy a keeper. City tried it with Bravo and it failed, Ospina to Arsenal failed as well.Joe Hart was once a England main stay only to be tossed aside by City and his career has gone downhill ever since, went to West Ham and completely bombed.

Defence We got big Virg and Lovren, matip and gomez are incosistent but young enough to turn it around, and Ragnar is a cover player.

I agree we need a AM, but there is a chance here that if the Shaqiri thing happens, then maybe Klopp can transform him into a AM. Not to mention that maybe Gini can be deployed in a further up position. Depending on the game, i think the midifield selection frees us up to experiment on the AM role, lets not forget that maybe even Keita might play that role. Wouldn't mind us buying a solid AM though.

The front 3 i think should be bolstered and players like Wilson, Solanke, maybe Shaqiri can provide something fro Klopp to think about, or at least be given some game time this season more so than ever.

I don't think we should buy for the sake of buying, especially players who don't fit our style or those who come in and expect to start right off the bat. This Rebic shout is too premature for me and quite frankly unless we sign a marquee player we should bothcc
We didn't need a significant upgrade in depth in midfield, we have 7 senior players (albeit Chamberlain is injured) for 3 positions. That's plenty, and there's the option to play Firmino in the 10 like we did against Brighton. Then you look at somebody like Curtis Jones...would it be so terrible to have to play a talented local kid for 2 or 3 games if a terrible injury crisis hit?

Not to forget, Coutinho was only available for about 1/3 of the season and Can missed plenty of games through injury too, so even just replacing those two with Keita and Fabinho is likely to be an upgrade in depth itself anyway.

Am I the only one who thinks a number 10 isn't absolutely necessary? Between Keita and Lallana (and Chamberlain when he returns) we have that boxed off.
Basically what's happening this summer is that the club is once again choosing to live with issues rather than sort them out by spending.

You can see it in the media articles that are clearly resulting from behind closed doors briefings and you can see how it's starting to filter into expectation and explanation within the fanbase.

No club with serious intent would put up with keepers like ours. The arguments presented above don't wash. The reason our keeper department is the worst bit of the squad is that we've spent £15m on it under FSG.

Matip is a bang average defender and not good enough to be the main backup centre back.

Neither Lallana or Oxlade is anywhere near the level of Hazard, Erikson or Silva in the 10 role. That type of player makes a huge difference.

The quality of our forwards other than the front three is not the level our competitors have.

Everyone loves to see a bargain, everyone loves it when we get rid of players we don't want for good money and net down the spend. Everyone loves to see a young player like TAA burst through.

LFC can do well without sorting every issue, but the reason we have been there or thereabouts for nearly a decade without actually winning anything (bar one League Cup) is that we don't resolve issues when they need resolving.

FSG are clearly siphoning money off the commercial revenues via FSM, which to me says loud and clear that the goal is not primarily football success.

If we choose to live with the current keepers, if we don't look to bring in a 4th quality forward and if we don't replace Coutinho, I'm sorry but that's a club that will not win what it would with those issues resolved and it's a club that has chosen not to do so.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I mentioned Keita for a reason. No, Lallana and Chamberlain aren't as good as those players, but they're as good as the backups to those players at their respective clubs.

Dave-D

Why not get all three then there’s enough cover and squad rotation to challenge on all front, especially if Liverpool want a trophy

vjcpatriot

New shopping list after Ronaldo transfer and the World cup so far:

GK: Donnarumma. Karius' confidence has been shattered. It's time to add competition to the keeper position and in terms of sheer talent and potential, Donnarumma has a chance to be world class in time.

#10: Paulo Dybala. Now that Ronaldo has officially landed in a Juventus uniform, they have to balance the books. Dybala could be a perfect fit for the #10 role at Liverpool. He could unlock defences and score goals in bunches.

CB: Benjamin Pavard. Pavard has been outstanding during France's World Cup run. His positional flexibility also helps Klopp - Pavard can play both the RB and CB positions. Clyne is recovering from a serious injury and TAA is still very raw and young. Pavard could at times fill in at RB and then when the RB situation is solid can play in the CB position, bumping Lovren to the bench at that point.

Estimated spend: £150m for all 3 players. Hopefully we can offset the spend somewhat by selling off some of our surplus players.

New lineup:
GK: Donnarumma
LB: Robertson
CB: VVD
CB: Pavard
RB: Clyne
CM: Fabinho
CM: Keita
#10: Dybala
LW: Mane
RW: Salah
CF: Firmino

redfanman

TIA Regular
Having to face penalties or not, don't you think Schmeichel would improve us and won't break the bank? Karius is on shaky ground as it is and who knows his mental state. And how much faith does our defence really have once he's in goal and he's just conceded one? Momentum, faith and trust are things that may disappear sooner than you think. I think we should keep our eyes open for other goalies who are not Oblak/Alison
How many penalties do we face each season? For any incoming keeper that shouldn't be the key factor because it isn't often enough to justify

Jayus20

Glad to see some people are starting to recognise how good Pavard is after this World Cup been wanting this guy since late March/early April.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
The guy who sat behind Karius AND Mignolet this season. No thanks
Spot the joke, mate.

That was kinda the point, the guy looking like the best choice at the club was third choice last year and pretty much unproven........
of course it's never as funny when you need to explain it.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
While I agree it's a big ask, we will never know whether they can make it here or not unless we give them sufficient game time. Look at TAA. He got chance as Clyne was injured. He is probably ahead of Clyne in the order now and probably Clyne have to fight to get the place back. Whereas Solanke got lot of time, but is not able to make most of it. Unless we give game time to Wilson, we won't know. We can make through first half of season with an Attacking mid (who can play on the wings) added to the ranks + Milner/Lallana/Wij/Ox and give game time for Wilson here and there and take a call on winger around Jan. For Kent / Ojo - yeah, i am also not sure about them.
For every success like TAA, there are lots youth players who have failed.
Spearing,Kelly,Ibe,Morgan,Smith,Stewart are few to name.
TAA is a rare talent, who grabbed the opportunity. He was probably 3rd choice, behind Gomez and Clyne.
In my opinion, we need a good proven backup and we can always give these youngsters minutes as we will have a long season.

Maarz

For every success like TAA, there are lots youth players who have failed.
Spearing,Kelly,Ibe,Morgan,Smith,Stewart are few to name.
TAA is a rare talent, who grabbed the opportunity. He was probably 3rd choice, behind Gomez and Clyne.
In my opinion, we need a good proven backup and we can always give these youngsters minutes as we will have a long season.

Giving young players a chance is always a delicate balance of game time, coaching, and faith. I cant think of a single player over the last 15 years who came through our academy, that wasnt given a "proper chance" and left to light up the world. Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, City have countless players who have done that. That could a condemnation of the quality of our academy, or it could mean we do give GOOD players the opportunity to play in the first team and prove themselves. Some sink, some swim.

The debate with Harry Wilson is an interesting one. He will be 22 this coming season and even his strongest advocates say "he needs a chance". That be extension means "we dont know if he is good enough, but give him a season so we can make that assessment".

If I was Klopp looking at our squad, if Salah or Mane get injured, do you have full confidence to turn to Wilson as an adequate replacement for 4 or 5 consecutive games? Those games might determine a title chase and a top 4 chase - thats how fine the margins are. That potential risk does not sit well with me.

I believe loyalty should be unreserved, but I also think loyalty should not be blind. If you look at the clubs we are competing with for top 4 or potentially the title, their 22 year olds are not gambles - they tend to be proven players in the prem or abroad. Sterling, B. Silva, Sane and Ali last season were all the same age as Wilson will be this season. Our judgement of players should be in comparison to these kinds of players - because they are the competition.

If the decision was mine, I'd sign another top winger, plus shaqiri or a highly rated 18/19 year old, and sell Wilson. Having 3 genuine options for 2 places means rotation and injuries shouldnt be a huge concern, and a 4th younger option (or shaqiri) would provide that extra cover just in case. If Klopp decides for Wilson to be that 4th option this season, then I think thats fair, but he certainly shouldnt be the 3rd option.

Maarz

I echo your frustration.

I think Karius certainly needs replaced. His confidence is evidently shattered and rebuilding that should not be done at the cost of a title chase.

I personally disagree regarding the defence. VVD and Lovern have formed a great partnership, and Matip is a solid 3rd choice. Granted he had injuries last season, but in his first season I thought he was solid. Beyond him we have Gomez as fourth choice - which for this season I am fine with. I think we could better spend our budget in other positions than push for a signing in defence for the sake of it. The only position in defence I would look at is left back. If Robertson gets injured, the fear of Moreno gracing the pitch is overwhelming!

I think with the signings of Keita and Fabinho we have 2 players who play exactly the way Klopp wants. If we manage to get Fekir over the line, I am extremely excited about our midfield for next season - a huge upgrade to hendo, milner and gini. When Ox comes back he will add further quality and depth. Judging Ox on 20 minutes of a Roma game is harsh, considering the whole team was poor and we were "riding the wave". He had a great run in the team and was becoming more and more influential in our play. Gini is nothing more than a squad player now.

Our lack of depth in attack is extremely worrying. Salah's world cup performances show he is clearly nursing an injury thats causing him concern, and the mental scarring that causes will take some time to overcome. I am expecting him to not start for us for the first few games of the season. And we need to sign, in my opinion, at least 2 players to provide depth for mane and salah - and who can also provide a genuine challenge for positions.

If I was Klopp, id finalise fekir, sign a keeper and 2 wingers. Which for this season, should be enough. And then we can add more depth in quality next season.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
For me it would be Migs out and someone like Ochoa in.

Even if Karius bounces back, he needs healthy competition and Ochoa would offer that.

Two consecutive World Cup tournaments where he kept Mexico competitive and stole a lot of games. Hungry because he has largely been unlucky... makes a lot of great saves but has generally played for teams where he was absolutely absolutely peppered.

Case in point: 2016-2017 season where he led Europe in the number of saves made, was voted Player of the Season by fans but also set the European record in goals allowed (due to the sheer number of shots he faced).

Ochoa is a good keeper who can steal games and would likely be willing to fight for his spot. That for me is a perfect fit when we don't want to completely give up on Karius but want a very good alternative if he doesn't recover.

Anfield rd Dreamer

I think a realistic "who would I buy" kind of comes in line with what I think will happen now to be honest. Think our squad will be;

Keeper; Alisson, Ward, Grabara. (Karius, Mignolet and Bogdan all sold).

CB; Van Dijk, Lovren, Matip, Klavan, Gomez. No changes, maybe next year Matip out with a promising young CB to come in and phase Lovren out of a starting role if Gomez hasn't already by then.

FB; Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Clyne, Gomez, Moreno. Possibly might see Moreno leave but don't think we would sign a replacement if he does. Fabinho more likely to play RB and whoever else play LB in emergencies or an academy kid to get a run out.

CM; Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner. Grujic on loan and Can has already left. How insanely strong is that area now? The deepest two in midfield sorted for years especially as Grujic could impress on loan and return challenging for playing time.

Front 4; Firmino, Salah, Mane, Ox, Fekir, Shaqiri. Strong options there, four choices for each position. Think 2 out of Woodburn, Brewster, Solanke, Wilson, Kent, Ojo will stay for depth and development chances whilst the rest go on loan. Markovic, Sturridge, Origi and Ings all to be sold.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
At this point of time, Liverpool are well beyond the stage when we need to be buying good players. we do have strength in depth now and have replaced Can with an improvement in Fabinho. The GK is a liability position but if Klopp feels that there are little choices who are better than Karius easily available. Then I'd suppose I'd back his opinion on this one

GK - Karius , ward and a third choice coming in - Mignolet should be on his way out.
Left Backs - Robertson / Moreno / Milner and Gomez / Clyne can feature at a pinch.
Right Backs - Clyne / Trent Alexander Arnold / Gomez / Fabinho (at a pinch)
CB's - VVD , Klavan , Matip , Gomez , Lovren ,
CDM's - Henderson / Gini / Keita / Fabinho
CM's - Milner / Lallana / Keita / Fabinho / Oxlade
wingers - Salah / Mane / Shaqiri / wilson / brewster / Ojo
Strikers - Firmino / Solanke / Ings / Sturridge / Origi / woodburn / brewster

with players nowadays having more impetus to play in multiple positions. These are the options that Klopp has. Considering that the GK is out of the equation with respect to changing (for this season atleast) , The only real position where we need bench strength is for a suitable backup to Firmino especially considering that Sturridge / Ings / Origi are on the way out and the likes of Solanke/ woodburn and brewster aren't ready yet for the first team action.

Haven't considered guys like Grujic and Kent who seem set to leave on loan.

A Good striker giving a different option to Firmino with some of firmino's off the ball strengths and a CB , we'd be set. Fekir arriving will be the bonus.

MarcusBerglund

Looking at our transfer business and spending for the last 6 months:

In:
VvD - 75 mln. pounds, done deal
Keita - 52 mln. pounds, done deal
Fabinho - 40 mln. pounds, done deal
Shaqiri - 13 mln. pounds, almost done deal

180 mln. pounds spent

Out:
Coutinho - 145 mln. pounds, done deal
Origi - 5 mln. pounds loan fee
Sturridge - 2 mln. pounds loan fee.

152 mln. pounds received.

Again we are moving at the same range of 40 mln. pounds net spending.

Of course I expect the club to sign someone like Fekir and the price will be around 50 mln. pounds, but there will be also sales - Mignolet, Sturridge, Markovic, Ings. Players such as Chirivella, Kent and probably Origi /one year left of his contract with LFC/ have a very good chance of being sold.
Migs, Ings, Sturridge, Origi will easily generate around 30-40 mln. pounds.

My biggest concer is what is the club doing with the huge problems with our goalkeepers. Looks like Roma are ready to sell Alison, but they want around 70 mln. euro. And i am not sure that Klopp will have these funds available. The noises from journos like Pearce, Reddy and Jones are the same - we won't be signing Oblak or Alison... We will rely once again of our three goalkeepers at the club. The same thing we read last summer, when Pearce and others tried to prove that Lovren, Matip, Gomez, Klavan will be developed and we don't need upgrade in defence.
Well, it didn't take long and the first game of the season proved them all wrong. Hopefully this season the club won't make the same mistakes once again.
Liverpool need an improvement at that position immediately. VvD's transfer opened our eyes. The right player will not only improve your defence, but will also make those around him look much better players /best example is Lovren/. But we signed VvD only after we sold Coutinho.
I have serious doubts that Klopp has the necessary budget to sign both - Fekir /if he is still in our plans or a player at his level/ and someone like Alison or Oblak.

Sign Alison and Fekir, keepr our best players intact and I will say that finally FSG are spending well and are driven by sport success and really want to win trophies.

Last edited by a moderator:

rab

Sort of surprised that jack Butland ain’t been linked with anyone yet. He is too good for the championship surely
Given the choice between starting bthe season with any of our current three between the posts and spending £20m-£25m on Jack Butland, id take the latter every single time.

He is nowhere near as bad as people like to make out on here and is comfortably better than what we have.