• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think the squad is really coming along great. We've had fantastic starting 11s in the past but the strength in depth of this current squad is probably the best I can remember. With regards to who I would buy most positions only need a little tinkering now and can mostly wait till the summer. I'll go through each area of the pitch so some of you may want to stop reading my waffle now!

Keeper: We have not only secured ourselves one of the best keepers in the world as our starter but one perfectly suited to our playing style. We've also got some fantastic young potential that can provide the deep cover like 3rd choice. Mignolet and Karius will both be gone by the end of next summer I think so we need someone to be backup, maybe old enough to not mind being back up at this stage of his career but who needs to play the same way even if not the same quality. This shouldn't cost much and we may even bring in more from sales. I'm thinking guys like Reina and Muslera if they fancy it.

CB: With Van Dijk and Gomez cementing a solid partnership I'd only touch this area if Lovren or Matip insist on leaving. They've both done fine enough when used to be competing for 3rd spot. They're better than most of our rivals have in depth and better than some clubs have starting. Maybe someone like Phillips from the academy or Fabinho stepping further back can offer emergency cover if it's ever needed.

FB: I think we are looking better than some realise. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson are both immense young players in my eyes that will only get better and better. On the right you have Clyne, Gomez, Fabinho and Henderson and/or Milner probably able to do a job. On the left you have Clyne, Moreno and Milner as options with Gomez probably able to do a job too. I think Moreno will be off but maybe one of our 2 promising young left backs will be ready to offer depth when he does. Either way it'll give Clyne more opportunities to play as cover for both sides. If Clyne really insists on leaving soon I think we need to bring in cover, someone who can play both sides. If he hangs on for another year or two maybe the likes of Camacho and Lewis will be ready to fill the voids internally and we won't need to buy anyone. Not like either Moreno or Clyne will play that much to make replacing them urgent.

CM: Concentrating on the two deepest roles we have (in no particular order) Henderson, Milner, Gini, Keita and Fabinho. If nothing changes here then great, because for those two deepest CM roles, that's awesome strength. What's made it look not as great is we have been using one of those 5 for the more attacking CM role which isn't right for them. One or more of them may want to leave for more guaranteed playing time or Milner may want to move elsewhere for the end of his career but if either happen so be it. Review Grujic to see if he's ready and I'd land Rabiot and make room for him if he wants to come here (can always improve further) but I'd be happy enough with that CM for the next couple of years.

AM: In the most attacking CM role I think Ox and Shaqiri have shown why we need players with their skill sets in this position. They have such positive impacts with their industry, athleticism, strength, creativity and pace. I think that's the way to go now. I'd let Lallana cover for Ox for now, see if Adam can get back into the game but If not then let him go once Ox is back. I'd also look to see if Woodburn can be developed into this role as I fancy he could turn his hand to it.

Wings: Salah and Mane are world class but we need cover. Ox and Shaqiri can offer something here but I like their impact central. We have a few youth players on loan like Wilson (looking great), Kent (outside chance) and Ojo (no idea what to make of his chances) that could maybe offer a cover option or two between them but think we need someone. The question is who do/can we get? I think we might need a younger player happy to come in with little pressure, learn and develop under Klopp whilst offering cover to two wingers at the top of their games. A more established player may want a more secure route to full time minutes. I wouldn't mind bringing this player in in January if possible to offer more attacking numbers and a bounce mid season. It'll give him a half season to settle before next year too.

Forward: Firmino is the perfect starter for us simple as can be. Sturridge I'd try to extend his deal a year with an option for a further year the club can activate. The way he's playing is great. Really creative link up play and a menace to the opposition goal. He's different from Firmino but getting more tricky and creative by the day so not as bad an alternative as first appears. I think Solanke needs significant playing time to develop so loan him out whilst we still have Sturridge (hopefully 1.5/2.5 seasons) and see if he can offer something by then like Sturridge does now. I'd be looking at Brewster (mostly) and the other lads in the academy to see if anyone can be developed into a mini Firmino. Brewster would get first crack at that obviously and if all goes well maybe he can be developed and brought on here instead of needing loans. I think the potential is there that we won't need to bring in a forward for awhile if all goes well.

Sorry for the long post. In Summary what I'd probably have happen is;

Moving on; Mignolet, Karius, Bogdan, Moreno, Milner (Leeds homecoming), Lallana, Markovic, Origi and Ings.

Loaned out; Grujic, Solanke, Kent, Ojo and probably several academy lads.

Promoted to first team: Lewis, Wilson and Brewster.

Brought in: Reina, Rabiot and a young exciting winger prospect.

There would actually be plenty of money to bring in more than that I'm sure but I'm not sure I'm seeing a need.

Last edited:

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
If we want Gomez to be a fulltime centre back, which should be the long term aim, we will need a right back who can compete with Trent for the spot. Sell Clyne and and Moreno and replace them with some genuine competition.

A second choice goalie will be necessary.

For me though it's imperative we get another goalscoring forward added to the squad, seeing how much depth City have in the attacking areas is frightening. Maybe a chance for Wilson and Brewster to stake their claims but if not we'll need another option.
I'm all for them getting a chance but I think Klopp will sign an attack-minded midfielder regardless - Lallana looks done, Milner is in his twilight years and AOC's injury might derail his career Lucas-style (it's even more severe than Lucas' injury, I can't remember a worse in-game injury since Eduardo's and Ramsey's respective leg breaks). That said, if Shaqiri continues to improve and Wilson and Grujić really, really impress Klopp while on loan and in pre-season and Klopp isn't able to find an injury-free Fekir... We all know the outcome.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I'm all for them getting a chance but I think Klopp will sign an attack-minded midfielder regardless - Lallana looks done, Milner is in his twilight years and AOC's injury might derail his career Lucas-style (it's even more severe than Lucas' injury, I can't remember a worse in-game injury since Eduardo's and Ramsey's respective leg breaks). That said, if Shaqiri continues to improve and Wilson and Grujić really, really impress Klopp while on loan and in pre-season and Klopp isn't able to find an injury-free Fekir... We all know the outcome.
Lallana looks done? What am I missing? Maybe we should wait until he is fit enough to play 90 minutes and then see what he can offer. The chance he missed yesterday - Lallana was never the fastest and there is a big chance the old Lallana in his best shape would also haved missed it.

In comparison to Lallanas Situation Clyne is not even getting close to the first team and Klopp showed that he even prefers sacrificing our second best CB Joe Gomez so that he don’t has to rely on Clyne. Nathaniel is back in full training for 6 months or something now and also played 90 minutes already for the U23 and for the first team in the Carabao Cup. That looks like a lack in quality.

LFCFFC

Shaq is seemingly made for that CAM role. I knew he had the dribbling/dead ball skill set, but his passing has been absolutely exquisite at times. Banking on Ox returning and providing additional cover for that role, I'd say our priority might move to rotation for Sadio and Mo. No more Lallana on the wing please!

With my incredibly limited and utterly rubbish scouting, maybe someone along the lines of Bailey from Leverkusen. Looking at the Dutch league, we were tentatively linked with Bergwijn a little while ago and Neres from Ajax is apparently very highly rated and would add nicely to our Brazilian quota. Obviously Pulisic would be an incredible get, but not being a guaranteed first XI starter might be an issue, especially since Dortmund are evidently a force to be reckoned with again.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Lallana looks done? What am I missing? Maybe we should wait until he is fit enough to play 90 minutes and then see what he can offer. The chance he missed yesterday - Lallana was never the fastest and there is a big chance the old Lallana in his best shape would also haved missed it.

In comparison to Lallanas Situation Clyne is not even getting close to the first team and Klopp showed that he even prefers sacrificing our second best CB Joe Gomez so that he don’t has to rely on Clyne. Nathaniel is back in full training for 6 months or something now and also played 90 minutes already for the U23 and for the first team in the Carabao Cup. That looks like a lack in quality.
Maybe I'm being too harsh on him but when was the last time a top level footballer missed a year of football at Lallana's age with various injuries and came back as strong as he was before them? Look at Clyne, he was Liverpool's Iron Man before his one and only injury during his time with the club and he can't get a look in unless someone gets injured - Klopp prefers two young lads, one of them playing out of position, to replace him. My take is that something similar would have happened to Lallana had Jones been a year or two older and more developed or, more probably, had AOC not got injured.

It's a shame, it really is, I love Lallana's technical ability and tactical prowess, he would have been one of Klopp's first names on the teamsheets but I suspect he'll get left behind because of his fitness issues.

GermanRed

Maybe I'm being too harsh on him but when was the last time a top level footballer missed a year of football at Lallana's age with various injuries and came back as strong as he was before them? Look at Clyne, he was Liverpool's Iron Man before his one and only injury during his time with the club and he can't get a look in unless someone gets injured - Klopp prefers two young lads, one of them playing out of position, to replace him. My take is that something similar would have happened to Lallana had Jones been a year or two older and more developed or, more probably, had AOC not got injured.

It's a shame, it really is, I love Lallana's technical ability and tactical prowess, he would have been one of Klopp's first names on the teamsheets but I suspect he'll get left behind because of his fitness issues.
Marco Reus for example spent half of his career on the sidelines and at the moment he is one of the best in the world once again.

Thing with Lallana is I just don’t think Klopp has given up on him already and I’m sure he will start games in the next few weeks - maybe vs. Cardiff too.

Doesn’t mean we won’t bring in new players next summer.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Marco Reus for example spent half of his career on the sidelines and at the moment he is one of the best in the world once again.

Thing with Lallana is I just don’t think Klopp has given up on him already and I’m sure he will start games in the next few weeks - maybe vs. Cardiff too.

Doesn’t mean we won’t bring in new players next summer.
Reus is a world class player. He is having a much better carreer than Lallana, I couldn't even compare both. Also, the "normal" Lallana had like 2 or 3 decent seasons overall, Reus had like 5 or 6 really good, maybe even more.

If we had a world class player like Reus I'd keep him for sure. Lallana is different. He has never reached the "one of the best in the world" status. He's just a decent/average player with very few convincing seasons and extremely unreliable + we need a reliable (fit and firing) attacking 8/10 bacause we have only Ox (injury prone, we don't even know what level he will be when he comes back), Shaqiri and our midfield is crowded. All the other players have much more to give than Lallana.

I'd have sold Lallana this season for sure.

GermanRed

Reus is a world class player. He is having a much better carreer than Lallana, I couldn't even compare both. Also, the "normal" Lallana had like 2 or 3 decent seasons overall, Reus had like 5 or 6 really good, maybe even more.

If we had a world class player like Reus I'd keep him for sure. Lallana is different. He has never reached the "one of the best in the world" status. He's just a decent/average player with very few convincing seasons and extremely unreliable + we need a reliable (fit and firing) attacking 8/10 bacause we have only Ox (injury prone, we don't even know what level he will be when he comes back), Shaqiri and our midfield is crowded. All the other players have much more to give than Lallana.

I'd have sold Lallana this season for sure.
You do realize that this was not about comparing Lallana and Reus.

@Nikola asked if there are footballers who got back to their best after so many injuries and Reus came to my mind.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
You do realize that this was not about comparing Lallana and Reus.

@Nikola asked if there are footballers who got back to their best after so many injuries and Reus came to my mind.
Off course. I'm just saying the best version of Lallana is something very rare and it's not worth waiting for. Players like Reus, his best is not very rare, it's quite common tbh, therefore since he is so good and it's common, it's worth waiting for. I doubt we will ever see anything close to that 6-months wonder Lallana. I wouldn't bet anymore.. Really nice lad, very professional, but he is lacking football-wise and we need more creativity in our midfield. He was lucky we didn't confirm Fékir, otherwise I think he wouldn't be a LFC player anymore.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Not a fan of Lallana. There always seemed to be something a bit sickly about him. It's not just the heart problems but it's his pasty complexion, his slightly drawn features, even when 'fit' he didn't exactly exude vibrant well-being. Then there's his less than explosive style, the sense that despite his endeavour he takes slightly too long to recover from bursts of exertion, he's better at sustaining a regular output than varying his pace, he lacks pace, could never maintain energetic bursts and would rarely be able to complete 90 minutes.

He's technically very good, genuinely two-footed, but often tries to do too much on the ball. It can slow our play down just when it needs a quick one or two touch interaction. His pressing is massively overrated (AOC, for example, has been shown to be more than twice as effective) and his good games infrequent. He struggles to influence the bigger games.

He's also now showing increasing injury issues that were largely predictable and won't improve. He'll be 31 by the end of the season, 2 years older than the superfit and reliable Milner was when he joined. He'll still have a year to run on his contract but finding a buyer will now be difficult if we want to recover any value. We should have sold him two years ago.

As for whether he's a good bloke or not, I don't know. He comes across to me as a bit of a prick. Certainly Clattenburg thought so but then he's a bit of a knob as well.

Anyway, never warmed to him.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Not a fan of Lallana. There always seemed to be something a bit sickly about him. It's not just the heart problems but it's his pasty complexion, his slightly drawn features, even when 'fit' he didn't exactly exude vibrant well-being. Then there's his less than explosive style, the sense that despite his endeavour he takes slightly too long to recover from bursts of exertion, he's better at sustaining a regular output than varying his pace, he lacks pace, could never maintain energetic bursts and would rarely be able to complete 90 minutes.

He's technically very good, genuinely two-footed, but often tries to do too much on the ball. It can slow our play down just when it needs a quick one or two touch interaction. His pressing is massively overrated (AOC, for example, has been shown to be more than twice as effective) and his good games infrequent. He struggles to influence the bigger games.

He's also now showing increasing injury issues that were largely predictable and won't improve. He'll be 31 by the end of the season, 2 years older than the superfit and reliable Milner was when he joined. He'll still have a year to run on his contract but finding a buyer will now be difficult if we want to recover any value. We should have sold him two years ago.

As for whether he's a good bloke or not, I don't know. He comes across to me as a bit of a prick. Certainly Clattenburg thought so but then he's a bit of a knob as well.

I wouldn’t go as far as picking his complexion, but I’m broadly similar. I didn’t appreciate his behaviour in that notorious U21 game, where he was supposed to be a man amongst boys, and got sent off for a ridiculous petulant attack on another player.

Undoubtedly hugely technically accomplished, but I often wonder to what end? His tricks will rarely beat a player, or find an angle for a pass, or open up a shot. It’s often like the little flourish on a posh bit of calligraphy. It looks pretty, and you can appreciate the artistry involved, but it would be readable without it. Possible a bit more so.

Sweeting

Lallana at CM, leading the press and setting a tempo early in the game is a good player for us.

Lallana as a number 10, picking passes and creating opportunities is too slow and inefficient.

Lallana as a winger is essentially playing with 10 men.

For me, he can still be a valuable squad player as a midfielder but relying on him for creativity or goal threat is not going to work.

I wouldn't sell him personally, unless he requests it, as I still see him of being an asset if he is used correctly and in a way that compliments his limited skill set.

C

Caradoc

Interesting that Anthony Martials’s contract is up on 30/06/2019 according to Transfermarkt.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Paco alcacer, Barca were Hawking him to all concerned the last few years. People have really missed a bargain

vjcpatriot

Keep your eye on emerging young star, Luka Jovic. He scored a historic 5 goals in 1 Bundesliga match at the tender age of 20 for Frankfurt.

Definitely one to keep an eye on in the future. He currently leads the Bundesliga with 7 goals in 6 matches. If he tallys 30 or more goals by the end of the season, I say why not be aggressive and try to bid for him next summer?

big noyd

was going to suggest masuaku, but wasn't sure he'd leave to come here and be second choice

so then i thought, why not cresswell, since he's now the second choice there? little bit older, but could be a bridge to adam lewis, and can play in a back 3

Last edited:

GaryBarlow99

If we want a young winger to develop I would rather go for Sancho than Pulisic. Lad is some player and I don't think he would look out of place in our side. Think he would get plenty of game time next season as well. Being home grown is always a bonus.

Claymenza

If we want a young winger to develop I would rather go for Sancho than Pulisic. Lad is some player and I don't think he would look out of place in our side. Think he would get plenty of game time next season as well. Being home grown is always a bonus.
How does dortmund do such a good job developing their players?

Pulisic would have been snapped by now, but he has total faith in the club he's at.

red_scott

TIA Youth Team
Keep your eye on emerging young star, Luka Jovic. He scored a historic 5 goals in 1 Bundesliga match at the tender age of 20 for Frankfurt.

Definitely one to keep an eye on in the future. He currently leads the Bundesliga with 7 goals in 6 matches. If he tallys 30 or more goals by the end of the season, I say why not be aggressive and try to bid for him next summer?

I saw a piece on him, scored a world class volley. He's on a 2 year loan from Benefica, with Frankfurt expected to buy him at the end of it.
I was wondering what are German posters had to say. One to definitely keep an eye on.

GermanRed

Im pretty sure Goetze is the only player there they developed from the youth level.
Dortmund always had a very good academy / very good youth teams. From their current squad Schmelzer, Götze, Reus (left Dortmund in 2004 and came back 8 years later), Weigl, Burnic, Pulisic and Jacob Bruun Larsen (very interesting player) all represented Dortmund at youth level.

But I would also say that they still benefit from the scouting Klopp introduced to the Club. Akanji, Diallo, Zagadou, Dahoud, Guerreiro, Hakimi and Sancho could have joined bigger / other clubs but they knew Dortmund is a good place for young players to have a breakthrough.

Limiescouse

Dortmund always had a very good academy / very good youth teams. From their current squad Schmelzer, Götze, Reus (left Dortmund in 2004 and came back 8 years later), Weigl, Burnic, Pulisic and Jacob Bruun Larsen (very interesting player) all represented Dortmund at youth level.

But I would also say that they still benefit from the scouting Klopp introduced to the Club. Akanji, Diallo, Zagadou, Dahoud, Guerreiro, Hakimi and Sancho could have joined bigger / other clubs but they knew Dortmund is a good place for young players to have a breakthrough.
Weigl is no more a product of their youth team than Danny Ings is of ours. Even Pulisic is only if you have a very generous definition seeing as he was in the first team squad almost immediately upon being signed by them.

If we want to talk about development, I think what they have shown is that they are good at that final stage of turning promise into first team talent, but with rare exceptions these are not kids who have been produced by their academy.

GermanRed

Weigl is no more a product of their youth team than Danny Ings is of ours. Even Pulisic is only if you have a very generous definition seeing as he was in the first team squad almost immediately upon being signed by them.

If we want to talk about development, I think what they have shown is that they are good at that final stage of turning promise into first team talent, but with rare exceptions these are not kids who have been produced by their academy.
You’re right with Weigl.

Pulisic played 25 games for their youth teams. I wouldn’t say he is a 'academy product' - he probably needed these games to get used to the style/tactics in Europe.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league

My thoughts exactly - have you got a portal into my mind?

Danny_

Agree except about the complexion bit. He is a decent squad player, nothing more. He does show flashes of brillance but has never been consistent really. My biggest gripe with him is the way he slows down play and lately, his inability to make a simple pass (although he may be rusty from injury). He will probably get better as he gets more games but right now, there is no way that he should be starting ahead of Shaq or any of the other midfielders.

Nate90

I'm not too sure who we need in January. No complaints about the team this season. Do you think it would be worth adding a few more players to add depth in the second part of the season and if so then who?

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
Personally I think Wilson will be retained in the squad next season, he seems to have laid down a marker at Derby to become the back-up to the back-up (Super Shaq-Attack!). If Studge stays (here's hoping!) and Origi goes then maybe Brewester will become understudy for Bobby - Solanki just not good enough unfortunately.
Lallana clearly looks like a square peg now and surely has to be moved on. Hopefully replaced by someone more in the Fekir mould, though my knowledge of players is far too limited to guess at who. Otherwise the only movements I can see will be like for likes. If Moreno departs then either Lewis steps up or we chase someone to fight the Scotland Captain for left back. Clyney most likely departing means another door opens, but hardly likely to displace TAA.
Such a pleasure to realise how strong the squad is for a change, can't really think of any desperate needs!