• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Luis Suarez has come out and said Barca are setting about identifying his replacement.

He'll have been there five years come the end of the season, has ticked off that ambition and got it out of his system. He'll be 32 in January, but personally think he's still got it. He could play anywhere in our front line, but would be of particular value rotating with Bobby at the top of the attack.

Will have two years remaining on his contract in the summer.

Cheeky bid?
Id fucking love him back here! he's still got it as well.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Luis Suarez has come out and said Barca are setting about identifying his replacement.

He'll have been there five years come the end of the season, has ticked off that ambition and got it out of his system. He'll be 32 in January, but personally think he's still got it. He could play anywhere in our front line, but would be of particular value rotating with Bobby at the top of the attack.

Will have two years remaining on his contract in the summer.

Cheeky bid?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
He was absolutely sensational on the weekend against Real. there is no doubt he still has it, it just a question of how often he can show it at this stage.
Partly why I think it would be great to bring him in when we already have such strong players across the frontline, wouldn't need to play every week, but get him alongside two from Salah, Mane and Bobby... *drool*

vjcpatriot

Suarez is likely not coming back. He might still have it but it's not good business to invest in 32 year old footballers that you might squeeze at best 1 or 2 more good years out of them.

Liverpool tends to invest in younger players who have their best years ahead of them or at least whom we will see their prime years, players like Mane, Salah, etc.

Here is a player to keep an eye on who might just be entering his peak. Sebastian Haller is a 24 year old French striker who stands among the top scorers in the Bundesliga with 6 goals and 5 assists.

The current Frankfurt striker also cuts an imposing figure at 6'3 and would make him another weapon for set pieces. He is strong in the air having won a league high 149 challenges last season.

If Liverpool continues to play 4-2-3-1, adding a premier striker and dropping Firmino back to the #10 slot or Shadow Striker would make sense for us.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Suarez is likely not coming back. He might still have it but it's not good business to invest in 32 year old footballers that you might squeeze at best 1 or 2 more good years out of them.

Liverpool tends to invest in younger players who have their best years ahead of them or at least whom we will see their prime years, players like Mane, Salah, etc.

Here is a player to keep an eye on who might just be entering his peak. Sebastian Haller is a 24 year old French striker who stands among the top scorers in the Bundesliga with 6 goals and 5 assists.

The current Frankfurt striker also cuts an imposing figure at 6'3 and would make him another weapon for set pieces. He is strong in the air having won a league high 149 challenges last season.

If Liverpool continues to play 4-2-3-1, adding a premier striker and dropping Firmino back to the #10 slot or Shadow Striker would make sense for us.
Normally I would agree with you about signing a 32 yr old player,

But its Luis Suarez!
He aint no ordinary player.
And what a 1 or 2 good years they would be with him playing alongside Bobby, Salah or Mane, under the guidance of Klopp!

so its a yes from me....

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I can’t see it happening.

He has two years left on his contract and Barca are going to want to keep him around even if they bring in a replacement this year.

I can imagine Barca being interested at £30-40m, but I don’t think we’d go near that.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
It’s a lot for a 32 year old though. I’d be all over it on a free, but Barca will want a decent sum for a player with two years left.
He's nearly 2 years younger than Ronaldo. if that helps sway you?

No harm in dreaming of resigning him tho, is there?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
He's nearly 2 years younger than Ronaldo. if that helps sway you?

No harm in dreaming of resigning him tho, is there?
Nowhere near as athletic, though. I'd take him on a free any day, I have to admit. His work ethic would be infectious. He does look a bit slower these days but Liverpool need to play all of their football in opponent's half, so... ;)

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I can’t see it happening.

He has two years left on his contract and Barca are going to want to keep him around even if they bring in a replacement this year.

I can imagine Barca being interested at £30-40m, but I don’t think we’d go near that.
When it comes to sales Barca are known for doing stupid business. 31 year old David Villa to a direct opponent Atletico for just €2m comes to my mind.

Pedro - a player who won everything - at 28 for under £25m - bargain.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Suarez has a clause in his contract which can be activated in his final years. Or we have a buy back clause.

C

Caradoc

Get Sturridge firing properly again and bring back Suarez ..... that’s on helluva ‘Plan B’ ....... ! lol

Can’t see it happening though! :)

RedForever2014

Mostly agree but id delay the Sturridge departure and signing a Firmino back up for another 6/12 months if possible and concentrate on getting the other attacker for now. Get the best possible player for that role. That gives 18 months to 2 years for Brewster or one of our other lads to set themselves up as our back up to Firmino. Wouldn't make Sturridge leave at this time.
I like Sturridge, great lad to have around and a quality finisher. But the issue with Sturridge is that he's on £150k a week. It is the case that these days you've got to have at least 17 or 18 interchangeable players in order to compete, and you've got to be prepared to have players beyond your so called best 11 on similar money to best 11 players.

This is absolutely fine if those players can play every week if called on, say if the first choice for their role was injured long term, or even if they are being used regularly in rotation.

But until he proves otherwise over a longish period, Sturridge is a player who is very likely to be injured himself a bit of the time, probably not able to play week in week out if Bobby was out without risking injury himself, and IMO not really a player who is going to be rotated as much as you'd want from a player on £150k a week.

So to stay he'd have to accept a lower wage, and it's whether Sturridge wants to have one last big pay day somewhere else, with a big signing on fee as a Bosman and a salary beyond what I think we'd pay, or stay with us.

If he leaves and we don't sign a quality established striker, then next summer we could be effectively swapping an experienced international player, albeit one who can't be used as would be ideal, for an unproven younger player.

Developing young players has merit, we all want to see it, but it's a tough balancing act to be competitive enough to keep your better players happy, if you're accepting short term issues whilst a younger player develops.

This is part of a bigger picture that's going to be interesting to observe. Has the recent spending been a one-off splurge largely funded by selling Coutinho, and will similar spending only continue if we continue to sell big names?

Has it been to get to us to a certain level, from which any future activity will have to be self funding, and young players used to fill squad gaps?

Or are we going to see sustained investment to make us properly competitive year in year out?

We've only spent £100m net under Klopp, £33m a season, which is not a great deal, yet there is more to do as our squad is not complete by a long way.

We will have to replace any defensive backups that leave. Arguably two of our backups, Clyne and Moreno, aren't really usable at all.

We don't have similar level quality and playing style depth up front.

We don't know yet whether we have a creative midfielder in Keita, Shaqiri or Oxlade (whose level on his return is unknown), who can do it against the very best. To Illustrate the point, Klopp won't likely play Shaqiri later, but he would have played Coutinho with the front three if he was still here.

There is always more to do and our competitors will be doing it. If we think we can get by with this squad, without continued significant investment, we are mistaken.

We might do ok, but we won't win what we might do, if we don't continue spending and if we keep selling our best players.

Let's hope the club sees it that way.

Dave-D

Suarez would be amazing. Coming off the bench against a tired defence he’d destroy them and even if he has lost some pace those around him could make up for that.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Don't see Suarez happening. Would be wonderful to see him back though, still top drawer and a winner . I reckon we are more likely to see Brewster and Solanke breaking through.

Trader

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but the pairing of Insigne and Mertens have been absolutely ruthless for Napoli this season. I wouldn't mind either of them playing for us. Although not sure how old either of them are...

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I like Sturridge, great lad to have around and a quality finisher. But the issue with Sturridge is that he's on £150k a week. It is the case that these days you've got to have at least 17 or 18 interchangeable players in order to compete, and you've got to be prepared to have players beyond your so called best 11 on similar money to best 11 players.

This is absolutely fine if those players can play every week if called on, say if the first choice for their role was injured long term, or even if they are being used regularly in rotation.

But until he proves otherwise over a longish period, Sturridge is a player who is very likely to be injured himself a bit of the time, probably not able to play week in week out if Bobby was out without risking injury himself, and IMO not really a player who is going to be rotated as much as you'd want from a player on £150k a week.

So to stay he'd have to accept a lower wage, and it's whether Sturridge wants to have one last big pay day somewhere else, with a big signing on fee as a Bosman and a salary beyond what I think we'd pay, or stay with us.

If he leaves and we don't sign a quality established striker, then next summer we could be effectively swapping an experienced international player, albeit one who can't be used as would be ideal, for an unproven younger player.

Developing young players has merit, we all want to see it, but it's a tough balancing act to be competitive enough to keep your better players happy, if you're accepting short term issues whilst a younger player develops.

This is part of a bigger picture that's going to be interesting to observe. Has the recent spending been a one-off splurge largely funded by selling Coutinho, and will similar spending only continue if we continue to sell big names?

Has it been to get to us to a certain level, from which any future activity will have to be self funding, and young players used to fill squad gaps?

Or are we going to see sustained investment to make us properly competitive year in year out?

We've only spent £100m net under Klopp, £33m a season, which is not a great deal, yet there is more to do as our squad is not complete by a long way.

We will have to replace any defensive backups that leave. Arguably two of our backups, Clyne and Moreno, aren't really usable at all.

We don't have similar level quality and playing style depth up front.

We don't know yet whether we have a creative midfielder in Keita, Shaqiri or Oxlade (whose level on his return is unknown), who can do it against the very best. To Illustrate the point, Klopp won't likely play Shaqiri later, but he would have played Coutinho with the front three if he was still here.

There is always more to do and our competitors will be doing it. If we think we can get by with this squad, without continued significant investment, we are mistaken.

We might do ok, but we won't win what we might do, if we don't continue spending and if we keep selling our best players.

Let's hope the club sees it that way.
I think you are missing some of our options at the moment. I think between Salah, Firmino, Sturridge, Solanke (to go on loan when Brewster is fit in my opinion) and Brewster as things stand. If Firmino was out for a bit I'd expect Brewster/Solanke to get a few games, Sturridge to play a bit more and Salah to play the rest with Shaqiri or someone covering on the wings. I think that's fine at CF for this season and maybe another 1 or 2 providing Sturridge is happy till we know what's going on with Brewster and Solanke with regards to developing potential. What I'd be more concerned with is having another great option on the wings allowing Shaqiri to be a creative presence more central more often and freeing up Salah as a CF option when needed/desired. As towards wages Sturridge hasn't signed a deal for years and our wage level has been creeping up. Pretty sure his deal (and most of our deals, especially then) was heavily weighted with clauses towards playing time and performances. If Sturridge is hitting them I'm happy for him to get his full wages as it would mean he'd be hitting playing time and goals whilst we would be winning. If not he'd be on his basic.

Dave-D

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but the pairing of Insigne and Mertens have been absolutely ruthless for Napoli this season. I wouldn't mind either of them playing for us. Although not sure how old either of them are...
Insigne is 27 but will be 28 come the start of next season so is in his prime.

Mertens is 31 which surprised me and will be 32 before the end of this season so I think what he would cost to much for someone of his age.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Suarez has a clause in his contract which can be activated in his final years. Or we have a buy back clause.
Doubt it, the public would probably know that by now.

GaryBarlow99

A midfield controller. Whether that is a No 6, 8, or 10 does not matter. Somebody who can get their foot on the ball and control the tempo and take pressure off when the opposition is on the front foot.

lfc.8

Still plenty to do. Namely midfield. At the moment it's the biggest weak point. Fabinho and Keita haven't shown a great deal yet but equally so they've played very little. By all accounts still accustomising themselves to the tactics and the way Klopp plays. They need to prove themselves this season though.

We need an attacking midfielder. We miss Coutinho and he hasn't been replaced. There's also the need for another forward. We don't have adequate options if Mane, Firmino or Salah become injured. Or just as an option off the bench. We need more quality plus whenever there might be a dip in form. Ideally someone of similar ability to what we have.

Gomez has really come on this season and so far is forming quite the partnership with van Dijk. Lovren and Matip don't convince. But perhaps there's enough strength there for the mean time. As for fullbacks I feel we can do better. Robertson isn't bad and Alexander-Arnold is not bad either, but feel there's room for improvement. If we can sign a top player to replace either then go for it.

We don't have the best squad in the league and certainly not in Europe. The club needs to continue investing and always look to strengthen.

Last edited:

lfc.8

We have quite a few players we can easily sell to fund further investment. While some will have contracts expiring at least wages will be freed to some extent. Players who by and large don't feature. Not necessarily them all but there's some fat which can be trimmed.

Mignolet, Bogdan, Matip, Clyne, Moreno, Randall, Markovic, Milner, Grujic, Ejaria, Lallana, Chirivella, Kent, Wilson, Ojo, Solanke, Origi, Sturridge, Ings.

Dave-D

We have quite a few players we can easily sell to fund further investment. While some will have contracts expiring at least wages will be freed to some extent. Players who by and large don't feature. Not necessarily them all but there's some fat which can be trimmed.

Mignolet, Bogdan, Matip, Clyne, Moreno, Randall, Markovic, Milner, Grujic, Ejaria, Lallana, Chirivella, Kent, Wilson, Ojo, Solanke, Origi, Sturridge, Ings.
Bogdan, Markovic, Moreno, Sturridge and Origi contracts all run out in the summer so won’t get much of anything for them.
Chirivella and Randall I believe contracts also run out in the summer but 100% sure.
Ings will join Southampton at the end of the season for 25 million I believe is the price.

MW2833

If Mignolet goes then we need a new keeper, as the youth keepers are not yet ready to play second choice.
If Matip goes then a new defender is essential especially with Lovren's injury problems.
If Clyne and Moreno both leave then at least one full back has to be bought, who can cover both sides and one can be promoted from the academy.
Milner will need a replacement, as will Lallana and Sturridge (Brewster and Solanke not yet ready or not good enough).
Wilson should definitely not be sold - he's a great talent and can play a vital role as a squad player (I think he can play on both wings).
Solanke should be sent on loan since he has shown some signs of promise especially last pre-season, he just needs to get games under his belt.