• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Red over the water

Wan-Bissaka at Crystal Palace looks a good player. Not sure of his contract situation, but he could add some depth.

santana

We had a thread like this before The Event, so it seemed like a decent time to start up a new one. We're a couple of months into the season, so we've had the chance to evaluate where we think the squad is at the moment, and where we need to strengthen. And the start of the next transfer window is less than three months away, so you would hope that people at the club are already starting to send out feelers regarding potential signings.

So, come January 1st, who would you sign to address our current needs?

I think rather than this being a wish-list, it would be nice if we instead tried to talk about realistic signings. I'm sure 99% of us would like Cavani, but that isn't going to happen.

I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of overseas players, but we have a good spread of posters here who do, so hopefully there'll be some interesting names coming up.

Oh, and also say which positions you think are key to strengthen.

For me, it's a striker. We absolutely need someone who scores goals. The kids who have come in so far - Sterling, Wisdom, Suso etc - have been great, but the young lads up front - Morgan, Yesil, Ngoo even - aren't there yet, and it's unfair to expect them to come in and start hitting double-figures straight away. But we do need someone to do that right now, this minute.

My (hopefully) realistic shout would be someone like Seydou Doumbia. The guy lives and breathes goals. He hasn't played in a top league, it's true, but he's scored well at every level he's played so far, and playing in Russia would hopefully be keen for a move to the PL. I've also started to see rumours linking him to our rivals - Spurs especially - so something tells me January will be the right time. Those rumours also gave a figure of £16m, which doesn't sound like silly money for a goalscoring striker, who'll just be 25 when the window opens.

For me, that's the only position we absolutely must fill in January, and if money is limited we should concentrate on that.

Thoughts and osuggestions welcomed.
adrien rabiot or thomas lemar !
all lines are so strong exept midfield

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I don't think things are anywhere near as bad as you're making out here. We've played our 5 rivals in the big 6 within our first 11 games, a disproportionate ratio of difficult games. But over those 11 games form for a full season we'd be looking at 93 points, 72 goals scored and 17 conceded. Defence, even if looking at the weakest part, is doing spectacularly well. And I'd disagree with Trent being that. Or if he is it's only because the rest are putting in genuine world class standard performances and he's not even 20 yet. I still think he's a genuine contender for best right back in the league and I repeat, he's not even 20 yet. If we are consistent with our defensive performances moving forward it'll be a ridiculously stingy Defence, one of the best the league has seen. But attack is only good to ok at the moment. It's really not firing. And I think it's the most attacking CM role that needs looking at. Last season was the same whenever we played the wrong CM combo. Gini, Milner, Fabinho, Keita and Henderson is a fantastic group to pick a midfield from but there's an issue when we field a midfield 3 out of those. In a midfield 3 we should only be picking two of those with someone more creative/attacking Like Shaqiri, Ox, Lallana or maybe even Curtis Jones. Maybe Firmino. Or we need to go to a midfield diamond with two up top with 3 of those Cms an attacking player at the top of the diamond and Mane and Salah up top. I'm not sure the answer but picking 3 from those 5 just leads to a very bland midfield 3 that doesn't help the attack out enough. That's where I think our only major issue is to our game. Apart from that we are only talking of cover options coming in. Maybe a brilliant cover option coming in to cover/rotate with Salah and Mane.
We haven't played United (16th December). We need to win every game between now and then imo.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
We haven't played United (16th December). We need to win every game between now and then imo.
Fulham (H), Watford (A), Everton (H), Burnley (A), Bournemouth (A).

It’s doable, but we can’t let our arses go if we drop a few points along the way.

Richard88

We have quite a few players we can easily sell to fund further investment. While some will have contracts expiring at least wages will be freed to some extent. Players who by and large don't feature. Not necessarily them all but there's some fat which can be trimmed.

Mignolet, Bogdan, Matip, Clyne, Moreno, Randall, Markovic, Milner, Grujic, Ejaria, Lallana, Chirivella, Kent, Wilson, Ojo, Solanke, Origi, Sturridge, Ings.
Taking out all those players would leave a lot of holes in the squad...

----------------------- Alisson ------------------------------
------------------------- GK? -------------------------------
----------------------- Grabara -----------------------------
----------------------- Kelleher -----------------------------

Trent -------- Gomez -------- Van Dijk ------- Robertson
RB ---------- Lovren ----------- CB ------------- LB -----

---------------------- Henderson --------------------------
----------------------- Fabinho -----------------------------

----------- Wijnaldum ----------- Keita --------------------
-------------- Ox ----------------- CM ---------------------

Salah ----------------- Firmino --------------------- Mané
Shaqiri ------------------ CF -------------------------- LW

That's a lot of roles that would need to be filled all at once, so it's improbable that Klopp would sanction so many departures from the first team all at once.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Iker Muniain on a free transfer at the end of the season anyone? CAM/LW

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I thought his development stalled a while ago? Possibly one of the reasons why he's coming to the end of his contract now, not something that happens often at Bilbao, they use their situation well with new contracts/different clauses. Certainly not the type of player/quality Klopp would use centrally so you're looking at "only" a possible Mane backup. I don't want too many of these lower level backups (I admit Shaq is doing well so far, doesn't mean we have to go for the cheap option again), look at what we need to fight against in the league (City having Bernardo and Mahrez/Sane on the bench when they have their strongest XI). It's like when a kid plays FM, enjoys success, has a few bobs to spend and then suddely finds all players on the transfer list/free attractive to bolster the squad. When you do well like we did and are, there will be plenty of options. Certainly more than when we finished outside the top 4. In that case it's very important to pick the right ones, not forget that we always need to focus on trying to find the best quality (yeah, sometimes we do it considering quality/potential and money, like with Shaq) we can.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
I think apart from replacing the potential outgoing players we are not far off. I am a bit unsure whether we need a Fekir type player as Firmino likes to drop deep which would swallow his space. But then again, maybe this would bring the CB and free up space for a through ball for mane/salah.
In my opinion a Firmino type player is what we need most. I know it wont happen but a Suarez type player, someone who could play with Firmino but also the same role would be ideal. I dont watch much football aside from us so i cant name anyone. Maybe Insigne??

Richard88

I thought his development stalled a while ago? Possibly one of the reasons why he's coming to the end of his contract now, not something that happens often at Bilbao, they use their situation well with new contracts/different clauses. Certainly not the type of player/quality Klopp would use centrally so you're looking at "only" a possible Mane backup. I don't want too many of these lower level backups (I admit Shaq is doing well so far, doesn't mean we have to go for the cheap option again), look at what we need to fight against in the league (City having Bernardo and Mahrez/Sane on the bench when they have their strongest XI). It's like when a kid plays FM, enjoys success, has a few bobs to spend and then suddely finds all players on the transfer list/free attractive to bolster the squad. When you do well like we did and are, there will be plenty of options. Certainly more than when we finished outside the top 4. In that case it's very important to pick the right ones, not forget that we always need to focus on trying to find the best quality (yeah, sometimes we do it considering quality/potential and money, like with Shaq) we can.
The rumours are almost certainly the players agent dropping his clients name out there to get him a better contract extension with Bilbao. The same thing happened with Inaki Williams not too long ago too.

Richard88

I think apart from replacing the potential outgoing players we are not far off. I am a bit unsure whether we need a Fekir type player as Firmino likes to drop deep which would swallow his space. But then again, maybe this would bring the CB and free up space for a through ball for mane/salah.
In my opinion a Firmino type player is what we need most. I know it wont happen but a Suarez type player, someone who could play with Firmino but also the same role would be ideal. I dont watch much football aside from us so i cant name anyone. Maybe Insigne??
Could go either way. Firmino could play as the No. 9, in which case a Fekir or AM would make sense. Alternatively, the plan could be to move more towards a 4231 with Firmino in the No.10 position, in which case a RW would make sense (with Salah up top), or a CF with Salah playing off the right.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Iker Muniain on a free transfer at the end of the season anyone? CAM/LW
Spoke with a Barcelona fan who's a friend of mine about Muniain. According to him, not a good player, although he's been looking better playing the 8 position.

I think it's been a few years since I last saw him playing.

lfc.8

Midfield pretty much anonymous. No control, no composure, no creativity nothing. Matip and Alexander-Arnold both not up to it. Front three not firing. Too many passengers.

No attacking midfielder. A lack of suitable options up top whether to rotate or just offer something different when Mane, Firmino and Salah are not quite there. Question marks over Alexander-Arnold despite what the future may hold.

Only Alisson so far is regularly contributing despite all the money spent. November now and so far we're not really playing that great. Plenty of investment required.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Our attack has been poor since we lost Oxlade (who took over from Coutinho) i.e. A player who runs from deep and provides that injection of pace into the attack, breaking the midfield line etc.

I had hoped Keita or Shaqiri would be that player, Lallana was probably 10 years ago but he needs taking out back and then his parts shipped for glue.

That’s what we need in Jan, a no.10 who can hold their own in midfield. That Fekir guy..

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Our attack has been poor since we lost Oxlade (who took over from Coutinho) i.e. A player who runs from deep and provides that injection of pace into the attack, breaking the midfield line etc.

I had hoped Keita or Shaqiri would be that player, Lallana was probably 10 years ago but he needs taking out back and then his parts shipped for glue.

That’s what we need in Jan, a no.10 who can hold their own in midfield. That Fekir guy..
Once Shaqiri and Keita start delivering regularly, which they will, this talk with die down.

There are solutions within the squad.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Once Shaqiri and Keita start delivering regularly, which they will, this talk with die down.

There are solutions within the squad.
Pretty such I specifically mention both.. as of yet neither are delivering or being trusted to deliver. that’s ok guess you have someone’s iPad in your face so you can’t read.

Solutions in the squad is the attitude which has us watching Lallana, Sturridge and Matip horror shows.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Pretty such I specifically mention both.. as of yet neither are delivering or being trusted to deliver. that’s ok guess you have someone’s iPad in your face so you can’t read.

Solutions in the squad is the attitude which has us watching Lallana, Sturridge and Matip horror shows.
What are you upset for? It was a comment about football transfers, hardly the most emotional of topics.

Keita and Shaq have only been here a few months and Keita has been disrupted by injury whilst Shaqiri has played well. There's hope for them yet is all I'm saying.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
What are you upset for? It was a comment about football transfers, hardly the most emotional of topics.

Keita and Shaq have only been here a few months and Keita has been disrupted by injury whilst Shaqiri has played well. There's hope for them yet is all I'm saying.
Just joking fell (the iPad bit) I agree yes there is hope for them.. only I don’t think Keita will fit like Oxlade though, I think he’ll be excellent but as an upgrade on Milner and Gini as the no.8 meaning we still need another body (I doubt Oxlade returns personally) alongside Shaq.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Just joking fell (the iPad bit) I agree yes there is hope for them.. only I don’t think Keita will fit like Oxlade though, I think he’ll be excellent but as an upgrade on Milner and Gini as the no.8 meaning we still need another body (I doubt Oxlade returns personally) alongside Shaq.
The obvious solution to me is going 4231. Any 2 of Fabinho, Gini and Henderson sitting with Keita, Shaq or Firmino as the 10 depending on who's fit and who else is playing.

The midfield currently isn't compact enough, the 8s are too wide but they're not offering the threat that Chamberlain did either and we clearly aren't making an effort to press like we did last season. Change the system to suit the players we have and the difference in approach. I'm not sure where that leaves Milner but I think it suits everyone else well enough.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
The way I see it is we should try to improve our weakest link. Currently that is our midfield.
We could upgrade on Henderson/Milner/Wijnandum/lallana in January no problem at all.
Ox deserves a chance to come back. Fabinho and keita need time to settle.
Shaqiri and needs to find his position (well klopp does).

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
I have the habit of start following clubs that have some rumoured (to LFC) players or simply players that I like. It's the case of Lyon (Aouar, Ndombele and Fékir), Marseille (Thauvin), Barcelona (Arthur and Dembele), PSG (Neymar), Ajax (Ziyech, De Jong and Neres) etc.

I was watching PSG x Lille this weekend and a Lille player really caught my eye: Nicolas Pepe.

His first half was amazing, the best Lille player. In the second his team was smashed so he barely played football. It was the first time I saw him so I can't say whether he is good or not, but my first impression was that of a poor man's Dembele. Great dibbling skills, tricks, pace, pass... looks like he has everything. He is 23 now and has an impressive 8 goals and 5 assists in 12 games this season. In 16/17, 31 starts (+5 from the bench), 13 goals and 4 assists.

As I said before, I don't know how good he is, but if he keeps on this level, at the end of the season maybe we could target him? At the right price we could have a good backup for our wingers.

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The obvious solution to me is going 4231. Any 2 of Fabinho, Gini and Henderson sitting with Keita, Shaq or Firmino as the 10 depending on who's fit and who else is playing.

The midfield currently isn't compact enough, the 8s are too wide but they're not offering the threat that Chamberlain did either and we clearly aren't making an effort to press like we did last season. Change the system to suit the players we have and the difference in approach. I'm not sure where that leaves Milner but I think it suits everyone else well enough.
Yep, strange as anytime we've employed 4231 we've looked massively more improved. Ultimately I think Fabinho/Keita will be a worldclass double no.6 in that set up.

I also think Firmino needs to be told to stay up top, so get someone behind him.. Shaqiri etc.

Where does it leave Milner? An impact player from the bench.. He is overplayed and when you do that he becomes a complete liability.

Our midfield completed zero tackles last night, criminal that.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/shocking-statistic-emerges-liverpool-midfield-15381438

Richard88

During the game it was clear that the team was REALLY struggling to play through Red Star. All the passes were side to side, and then down the line, often aerially.

Judging by the signings of Ox, Fabinho, and Keita it seems that Klopp is aware of the problem in midfield, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

That said, of the midfielders, the performance last night would be most condemning of Lallana given that his strength is supposed to be link play which was totally non-existent. Needless to say, if he's not capable of linking play at all against second-tier opposition then he doesn't serve much purpose in the team. Harsh to say that given that he's not 100% fit, but football is a results based industry, and he's not delivering.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I really wish we had stole Richarlison from the bitters. He would of been perfect for our front 3.

C

Caradoc

I’m coming around to the conclusion that Klopp’s requirements are so specific that any outfield signings that we make are likely to take time to fully integrate into his system.

What that then means (for me at least) is that we are not going to see the full benefits of that signing until several months further down the line. This may of course add in another good reason why January signings are so unattractive because they are unlikely to make any significant contribution for us between then and the end of that particular season (VvD excepted of course).

Also, it will probably impact on what if any signings he makes next summer. I’m now thinking that we may only see 2-3 outfield signings, one of which will possibly be at left-back as these will take a number of months to fully integrate into Klopp’s system.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I’m coming around to the conclusion that Klopp’s requirements are so specific that any outfield signings that we make are likely to take time to fully integrate into his system.

What that then means (for me at least) is that we are not going to see the full benefits of that signing until several months further down the line. This may of course add in another good reason why January signings are so unattractive because they are unlikely to make any significant contribution for us between then and the end of that particular season (VvD excepted of course).

Also, it will probably impact on what if any signings he makes next summer. I’m now thinking that we may only see 2-3 outfield signings, one of which will possibly be at left-back as these will take a number of months to fully integrate into Klopp’s system.
So therefore buying them in Jan so they are fully integrated by the start of the next season is the smart thing to do?

C

Caradoc

So therefore buying them in Jan so they are fully integrated by the start of the next season is the smart thing to do?

No because you are entering the business end of the season and need players who will make a rapid difference whether that be added quality and/or cover in a key position. As a transfer window it is renowned for its inflated fees. It just doesn’t suit Klopp’s approach.

Mascot88

Admin

I think this is 100% bang on. Midfield in particular - Klopp seems to want his lads to be multipurpose. He’s screamed Anfield down at Fabinho for dropping too deep. I think Klopp thinks as midfielders as attacking when they need to attack and defensive when they need to defend. He needs them to be able to do it all.

Mascot88

Admin
No because you are entering the business end of the season and need players who will make a rapid difference whether that be added quality and/or cover in a key position. As a transfer window it is renowned for its inflated fees. It just doesn’t suit Klopp’s approach.
Generally I agree, but I think if Klopp has the ability to steal a march on a signing he’ll take it. For example Rabiot is a free agent in the summer and likely to be coveted by a few clubs. If PSG are happy to be bunged £20m, and Rabiot is up for it, I can see him doing something like that.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Sorry I'm confused are you trying to say no player at all is better than a player still integrating? Klopp has done all his business really cheaply. If a player that would cost 50 million in the summer is available for 65 or even 75 in the winter I'm fine with paying the extra if it means that player is good to go from day 1 of next season. They may be useful here or there till end of season too which would be a benefit but you're getting them ready for all of next season not just half of it. Don't you see the benefit? If Keita and Fabinho had come last winter and were firing on all cylinders and fully integrated within the squad by the start of this season we would probably be doing even better by now. They're still not fully integrated now and it's making our season hiccup.