• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I agree on Sturridge. I think he is a 20-30 minute footballer, either when we need a goal, or we need someone who can put their foot on the ball and help us see out a game. I don’t think he should be starting games, and that’s as much for him as us.

I’m not sure we’ll do much in the January window. Klopp traditionally doesn’t like the window, and it’s hard to get players to move mid season.

Summer starts to look really interesting though.

A balanced midfield three is starting to emerge - we have two screeners/controller in Fabinho and Henderson, two runners/box to box in Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita, and then one creative spark in Shaqiri. As you’ve said, signing that ‘Fekir’ type creative - that is surely the priority for summer.

I’ve no idea where that leaves Wijnaldum, Milner and Lallana. None of them are that creative spark, and Wijnaldum and Milner both fall into that category of lads who are a bit multifunctional and good to have around. It would be great to keep them and have eight quality options for three midfield positions. (I can see the club letting Milner go if Leeds come up)

Signing that creative midfielder should be relatively straightforward - it’s a signing for the first team, and you’d imagine players would be keen to come.

But the real challenge is going to be at the back. I think we’re going to need a Keeper, a right back and a left back. All of them to back up what we have. We also need to make a decision around Matip and Lovren - question marks about Matips suitability, and massive issues with the fitness records of both. And the more established that first choice back five becomes, the harder recruiting the deputies is.

I’m not two worried about the front three. Shaqiri, Ox and Keita can all do bits there if we need them to. It would be good to have a good cover option for Salah and Mane, and effectively pick two from three for the wide positions. I also think Mane is probably going to want to get off this summer or next, and it would be good to have his replacement in ahead of time.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Klopp has used 4-2-3-1 relatively often over the course of past month, I wonder if it's his long-term plan or just a temporary fix until AOC recovers and/or he finally finds the no. 10 he's looking for. I was very surprised to see him using Firmino in that no. 10 role, if I can call it that, I would have expected to see Shaqiri there, with the rest of the front three staying as they were.

In my opinion, there are serious question marks over Matip, because he's been one of the worst performers since Klopp bought him, Clyne, because he seems surpassed by two younger players, Milner, because of his age, and Mane, whose contract situation eerily reminds me of Can's ("I'm thinking only about football, my agent is dealing with contracts" and that stuff while all the other lads are signing up without a hitch). That said, if Mane doesn't start putting in some consistently good performances, it won't be long before Klopp starts looking for his replacement.

I don't think there'll be a massive overhaul of playing staff when it comes to regular starters but it's another story for squad players. Next summer, I'd expect Mignolet, Moreno, Lallana, Origi and Sturridge to depart. All of them should be a decent take for some club but I don't see any of them contributing to Liverpool enough to warrant their stay. Say, Lewis, Wilson and Brewster replace Moreno, Lallana and Origi in the squad for one season at least (not that far-fetched, given that journalists close to the club have repeatedly stated these had been given assurances by Klopp himself), club would still need to find at least a backup goalie and a creative attacking midfielder, while another wide attacker wouldn't go amiss.

Maybe Grujić, Wilson and Solanke will go out on another loan (I'd actually prefer that scenario if the right club comes for them) but regardless of that, I think we'll see a bigger influx of academy players, in addition to two or three first team signings. That would genuinely be in line with Klopp's philosophy, though it remains to be seen what plans he has for certain players of the current crop, especially those in midfield.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
We played the double six formation exactly a year ago, after that loss against Spurs when it was said that Klopp and the team had a talk and decided to flip the structure for a while to get some stability back. Play 4 midfielders more Atletico-style and leave Bobby with Mo up front, with Bobby doing that second striker role. It was when Salah became more and more influential with his goals/threat and started commanding more freedom than Mane on the other side, when we went from a clearer 4-3-3 at the start to Salah getting more freedom and playing higher than Mane.

I'm not surprised Bobby is playing the 10 instead of Shaq (although we rotated it a bit in some first games). When we play the double six, Salah on the right would mean he needs to defend a lot more than he usually does. So he's now playing even more as a striker and Bobby is asked to ordinate even deeper, basically being a midfielder first and second striker second (not that he doesn't help when he usually plays up front, but some small differences can make a difference if that makes sense). It's not really Shaq's best position, while it's understandable why Klopp wants Bobby central.

I expect us to go back to 4-3-3 more once we get more central midfielders back and raising their form hopefully. Then we can sometimes flip to a double six in smaller games, but I don't like us playing that way against better opposition (and we had certain performance issues even in smaller games). There's a difference between Fekir and what could Shaq potentially do in that role. It's not the same level. Shaq should be happy to be our "3rd" wide forward option, someone who can do a job between the lines in smaller games, be on the verge of starting like he is now and fight towards it.

I am a bit surprised Klopp is keeping Clyne in the cold. Okay, doesn't have to be a starter anymore, but with Gomez's performances at CB, Trent (or the team first and foremost and then Trent as well) could do with some help here and there. Our dynamic has changed on that side yes, sometimes there's large space down the right with Salah attacking more between the opposition's LB/CB and then we need help from whoever our right sided 8 is on that day. Clyne is not great going forward but can at least do a solid job that you don't have to worry about him (like he did against Chelsea).

As for our young players, it's very difficult to predict unless there's a "Sterling" out there. Those are rare. Need to see them having first team minutes first, because we're now a team that wants to make the next step and bringing youngsters through becomes even more secondary (not saying we should neglect the Academy, but it is how it is unfortunately, it will be tougher than when we had to break in the top 4 and could pick a younger player over someone we don't really count on) or we need more and more quality now. The difference in quality sometimes isn't only between the Academy/U23's, but also a club/level like Derby. Someone like Wilson even with a good season still needs to show Klopp he can pick up the principles to be one of the "4 wide forwards".

Mane's got 3 years left, becomes 2 years soon, all is possible these days. I still think he'll sign that new deal though it is dragging on a bit now. What we need to do is just continue what we're doing, planning ahead, aiming for better quality wherever we need it or can attract it. No panic if this is not our year for the league, but maybe also win a cup or challenge in Europe again. I'd take any major trophy at the moment, a potential FA Cup doesn't have to mean we'd limit our chances in the league. We finished second 3 times in my following of the club and every time the season after was catastrophic, every time for different reasons and events. Let's push in the league as far as we can, coming from 2 years of making top 4 on the last day, that would be improvement again. We all want it as soon as possible as fans and it's natural. But I want calm, intelligence and consistency from all the people in charge, just keep going.

We'll see what are Klopp's wishes. So far we're not hearing much, maybe we want to see how this team/squad will develop first before deciding what we need. Do we go back for a player like Fekir if there even is one of that level, what type of central midfielder, what do we do in the forward line where we'll lose some backups, also in defence/goalkeeper (after Mignolet).

Mascot88

Admin
I am a bit surprised Klopp is keeping Clyne in the cold. Okay, doesn't have to be a starter anymore, but with Gomez's performances at CB, Trent (or the team first and foremost and then Trent as well) could do with some help here and there. Our dynamic has changed on that side yes, sometimes there's large space down the right with Salah attacking more between the opposition's LB/CB and then we need help from whoever our right sided 8 is on that day. Clyne is not great going forward but can at least do a solid job that you don't have to worry about him (like he did against Chelsea).
That has surprised me too. I think he’ll leave in January to be honest.

I’m of the opinion that Gomez is now a centre back and he should only start at RB in the most dire of emergencies. We saw it again on Sunday. Gomez and Van Dijk start and get another clean sheet.

I would have thought Clyne would have been ideal cover for Trent. He is a bit more defensive, which would come in handy from time to time. I find it a bit baffling that Klopp would rather break up a centre half partnership of such promise, to play Gomez at RB. It makes me wonder if there is something about Clynes training he doesn’t like.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I’m of the opinion that Gomez is now a centre back and he should only start at RB in the most dire of emergencies. We saw it again on Sunday. Gomez and Van Dijk start and get another clean sheet.
We also have 2 clean sheets in the 2 games Lovren has played with Gomez at RB, and one of those was against City.

Lovren is a better player than Clyne and Gomez is a perfectly good right back. I expect Gomez will be our right back against Watford given their aerial threat and their best player (Pereyra) playing on the left, and possibly even away at PSG too. Fitness permitting.

Mascot88

Admin
We also have 2 clean sheets in the 2 games Lovren has played with Gomez at RB, and one of those was against City.

Lovren is a better player than Clyne and Gomez is a perfectly good right back. I expect Gomez will be our right back against Watford given their aerial threat and their best player (Pereyra) playing on the left, and possibly even away at PSG too. Fitness permitting.
Lovren can world class. But we know he has a mistake in him. And when he makes one he tends to make another.

To be honest, if it wasn’t for his fitness record he’d probably be starting. He just isn’t reliably available enough to be first choice.

I’m also worried about the effect running touchline is having on Joe’s knees, what with the previous injuries.

But I agree with that Watford/PSG shout. I can only say it isn’t what I’d do, but I’ve got a thing about fucking with the centre backs.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Lovren can world class. But we know he has a mistake in him. And when he makes one he tends to make another.

To be honest, if it wasn’t for his fitness record he’d probably be starting. He just isn’t reliably available enough to be first choice.

I’m also worried about the effect running touchline is having on Joe’s knees, what with the previous injuries.

But I agree with that Watford/PSG shout. I can only say it isn’t what I’d do, but I’ve got a thing about fucking with the centre backs.
Clyne has mistakes in him too but he hasn't got the positive defensive attributes Lovren has. Clyne won't offer any sort of physical challenge, won't win headers. I think we're a lot meaner with Gomez at full back and Lovren in the middle. If it's a choice between Matip and Clyne then I'd probably lean more towards Clyne.

Agree with Gomez fitness playing right back long term but for now I've no problem getting moved out there when the situation calls for it this season. Ideally we'll replace Clyne with a better player and then the issue is resolved, then there'll be no need to move Gomez from the centre.

The way I see it Gomez is now our best right back and our second best centre back. He should be playing every game he is fit and available for, it just depends on the opposition as to where he plays.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Last 10 posts are some quality. I agree with pretty much all of it, no point in quoting any.

We seem to be in the market to fill out the squad, so unless we can get a good look at a player who is entering a Bosman situation as an attacking mid or winger I cannot see us buying for the startingXI to displace anyone.
With out current available squad, injuries aside we are looking at:

Becker
TAA Gomez VvD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

Second XI (subs/rotation for firstXI)
Migs
Clyne Matip Lovren Moreno
Lallana Wijnaldum Milner
Shaqiri Sturridge Origi

Plus Solanke, youth and loan players

Sunk costs considered with the secondXI, I wouldn't see much for replacements for January with the exception of one player in case we get struck with injuries in next 6 weeks. Don't think we will re-sign Sturridge unless he takes a wage drop, and it would have to be heavily structured on appearances. Moreno to get moved on in summer

As @Hope in your heart related above, dependent on how Klopp rates players like Clyne, Lallana and whether Leeds gains promotion, we may be looking at 3-4 players next summer.

I isolated Pereyra as a candidate because he brings some grit to the LW spot which Mane doesn't provide PLUS plays quite direct which I like. He has been on my radar last season along with a few others whom I have taken an interest in as he just has a style which elevates him above the rest.

Was interesting to see Andre Schuurle get the hook for Vietto on the weekend, I rated both players a few years back (liked Schuurle a LOT during his Chelsea tenure) but his fall from grace has mirrored that if Gotze. Vietto was highly rated prior to Atletico purchase but hasn't kicked on to that next level.

I still think Insigne would be an excellent addition but there is an excellent batch of Bosmans coming up next summer to try for, feels like there is a shift towards the players doing more of this type of move as they capitalize on signing-on bonuses from the buying clubs who aren't paying transfer fees.

David Silva
Martial
Ramsey
Alderweireld
Mata
Herrera (twat)
Fabregas (twat)
Milner (per transfermarkt)

Ligue 1
Rabiot
Balotelli (twat)
Touré (Monaco RB, 22yo)

Serie A
Lukaku (LB, yes the brother of the manc)

La Liga
Godin (currently injured)
Ruiz (CB)
El Haddidi (Barca CF on loan, 23yo)
Muniain
Filipe Luis

Bundesliga
Robben
Herrmann
Ribery
Raffael
Stafylidis
Geis
Rafinha
Drmic

Liga NOS
Brahimi (Porto LW)
Salvio (Benfica RW)
Hector Herrera (Porto CM)
Coentrao - still only 30...good backup for Robbo?

Eredivisie
Rigo - 19yo PSV CM

Nothing on those lists scream "SIGN ME" except Martial and Rabiot to bolster the squad.

vjcpatriot

Martial would be a fantastic signing for the left wing but it's hard to imagine the Mancs not trying to give him an extension considering he has scored 6 goals in 9 league games already this season!

If we could sign Anthony, he could easily steal the starting left wing spot if Sadio isn't careful.

Rabiot though has been looking for a chance to leave PSG it seems forever so we might have a chance to get him on the Bosman.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Martial would be a fantastic signing for the left wing but it's hard to imagine the Mancs not trying to give him an extension considering he has scored 6 goals in 9 league games already this season!

If we could sign Anthony, he could easily steal the starting left wing spot if Sadio isn't careful.

Rabiot though has been looking for a chance to leave PSG it seems forever so we might have a chance to get him on the Bosman.
Would struggle to believe the Mancs haven’t already tried to extend his contract

Richard88

Milner's contract actually runs until 2020, contrary to what transfermarkt says. There was a mention about it in the Liverpool Echo recently:

James Milner's contract
Andrew Steadman, Northumberland, asked:​
I'd like to ask James what the contract situation is for Milner? I'm sure I read somewhere that he's out of contract at the end of this season? Is that true? Surely it's a formality he'll be offered a new deal before January 1 - given his form and Klopp's obvious admiration for him? We don't want a repeat of the Can situation where we potentially lose a top player for nothing!​
James [Pearce] replied:
"There seems to have been a bit of confusion around the length of James Milner’s contract but I’ve checked and it definitely runs until the summer of 2020. That’s why there’s no rush to think about an extension and all parties are relaxed about the situation.
Milner will be 34 by the time his current deal expires. He might fancy a new challenge then in the twilight of his career. I think much will depend on how he performs over the next 12 months. If he keeps playing like he is currently then I’m sure Liverpool will offer him a new deal."
Source: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sadio-manes-future-james-milners-15204014

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Griezmann commented on Bobby's pic after Arsenal saying "Idolo". lol

If only.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Roberto Pereyra as a cover for Mane who has been poor this season.
Ramsey or maybe Fekir again?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Big Virg bigging up De Ligt today.. Also saw Fenerbahçe is preparing a bid for Matip..

Imagine that for a trade in players!

Happycamper

Scott McKenna of Aberdeen. CH, Scotland regular and still only 21 I think. Playing in a good Aberdeen side and would be cheap in comparison to some of the names mentioned above. Not the best league he's playing in however some of our best defenders learnt their trade up there.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Mane isn't signing a new contract, so... A straight swap, you say? ;-)
Bobby, Salah, Mane, Griezmann as front 4 in a 4231
with Shaq, DS and Ox from bench
with Wilson and Brewster/Solanke as squad options would be an exciting attack line.
Fabinho, Rabiott, Wij, Hendo, Keita would be enough for a midfield 2 too.

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
Scott McKenna of Aberdeen. CH, Scotland regular and still only 21 I think. Playing in a good Aberdeen side and would be cheap in comparison to some of the names mentioned above. Not the best league he's playing in however some of our best defenders learnt their trade up there.
*Danny Wilson flashbacks*

RedForever2014

We have to plan for life without Mane. Of the two I'd rather keep Salah, as there are more players of Mane's style out there and Salah is technically the better player of the two.

When you look at the squad year on year, it is attacking midfield that's weaker, so it's the department I'd hope to see the next signing for.

Dave-D

*Danny Wilson flashbacks*
McKenna has already played 49 games and is a Scotland international.

Whilst Danny Wilson had only played 25 games over the course of one season before Liverpool signed him.

I wouldn’t compare McKenna to Wilson but I don’t think playing back up at Liverpool would help his career just now. He needs to be playing first team football every week to help his development.

Aberdeen have high hopes they’ll get over 10 million for him at the end of the season and with the amount of interest from teams in England I expect they'll get it.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
McKenna has already played 49 games and is a Scotland international.

Whilst Danny Wilson had only played 25 games over the course of one season before Liverpool signed him.

I wouldn’t compare McKenna to Wilson but I don’t think playing back up at Liverpool would help his career just now. He needs to be playing first team football every week to help his development.

Aberdeen have high hopes they’ll get over 10 million for him at the end of the season and with the amount of interest from teams in England I expect they'll get it.
He will probably follow the Soton - LFC route then?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
He will probably follow the Soton - LFC route then?
Yeah... although Scotland has obviously in recent times nurtured the talent of players as good as Robertson and VVD, in both cases the fact they had prior experience in the PL before coming to Liverpool is a huge factor. Given the current quality north of the border, it's hard to see us cutting out the middle man and plucking players straight from SPL football.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I'd go to WHU and offer them Studge and some cash for Marko Arnautovic in Jan. He's big, strong, has technique, hunger, and I think Klopp could get more out of him that Studge in the squad.

Arnautovic's agent/brother has said he wants CL football. Go give it to him Jurgen.

vjcpatriot

Barcelona appears desperate to sell Dembele. But I wouldn't give them anything near full price. If Barca sells now they also dodge about £26m in appearance fees.

I'd offer a cheeky £40m bid based on potential. But not much more than that considering they are the ones who want to get rid.