Who would you buy?

Caradoc

Hen cnec ddiflas
I’m coming around to the conclusion that Klopp’s requirements are so specific that any outfield signings that we make are likely to take time to fully integrate into his system.

What that then means (for me at least) is that we are not going to see the full benefits of that signing until several months further down the line. This may of course add in another good reason why January signings are so unattractive because they are unlikely to make any significant contribution for us between then and the end of that particular season (VvD excepted of course).

Also, it will probably impact on what if any signings he makes next summer. I’m now thinking that we may only see 2-3 outfield signings, one of which will possibly be at left-back as these will take a number of months to fully integrate into Klopp’s system.

Anfield rd Dreamer

I’m coming around to the conclusion that Klopp’s requirements are so specific that any outfield signings that we make are likely to take time to fully integrate into his system.

What that then means (for me at least) is that we are not going to see the full benefits of that signing until several months further down the line. This may of course add in another good reason why January signings are so unattractive because they are unlikely to make any significant contribution for us between then and the end of that particular season (VvD excepted of course).

Also, it will probably impact on what if any signings he makes next summer. I’m now thinking that we may only see 2-3 outfield signings, one of which will possibly be at left-back as these will take a number of months to fully integrate into Klopp’s system.
So therefore buying them in Jan so they are fully integrated by the start of the next season is the smart thing to do?

Caradoc

Hen cnec ddiflas
So therefore buying them in Jan so they are fully integrated by the start of the next season is the smart thing to do?

No because you are entering the business end of the season and need players who will make a rapid difference whether that be added quality and/or cover in a key position. As a transfer window it is renowned for its inflated fees. It just doesn’t suit Klopp’s approach.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

I think this is 100% bang on. Midfield in particular - Klopp seems to want his lads to be multipurpose. He’s screamed Anfield down at Fabinho for dropping too deep. I think Klopp thinks as midfielders as attacking when they need to attack and defensive when they need to defend. He needs them to be able to do it all.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
No because you are entering the business end of the season and need players who will make a rapid difference whether that be added quality and/or cover in a key position. As a transfer window it is renowned for its inflated fees. It just doesn’t suit Klopp’s approach.
Generally I agree, but I think if Klopp has the ability to steal a march on a signing he’ll take it. For example Rabiot is a free agent in the summer and likely to be coveted by a few clubs. If PSG are happy to be bunged £20m, and Rabiot is up for it, I can see him doing something like that.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Sorry I'm confused are you trying to say no player at all is better than a player still integrating? Klopp has done all his business really cheaply. If a player that would cost 50 million in the summer is available for 65 or even 75 in the winter I'm fine with paying the extra if it means that player is good to go from day 1 of next season. They may be useful here or there till end of season too which would be a benefit but you're getting them ready for all of next season not just half of it. Don't you see the benefit? If Keita and Fabinho had come last winter and were firing on all cylinders and fully integrated within the squad by the start of this season we would probably be doing even better by now. They're still not fully integrated now and it's making our season hiccup.

Caradoc

Hen cnec ddiflas
Sorry I'm confused are you trying to say no player at all is better than a player still integrating? Klopp has done all his business really cheaply. If a player that would cost 50 million in the summer is available for 65 or even 75 in the winter I'm fine with paying the extra if it means that player is good to go from day 1 of next season. They may be useful here or there till end of season too which would be a benefit but you're getting them ready for all of next season not just half of it. Don't you see the benefit? If Keita and Fabinho had come last winter and were firing on all cylinders and fully integrated within the squad by the start of this season we would probably be doing even better by now. They're still not fully integrated now and it's making our season hiccup.

Work it out for yourself. All of the information is there! :-)

Caradoc

Hen cnec ddiflas
Generally I agree, but I think if Klopp has the ability to steal a march on a signing he’ll take it. For example Rabiot is a free agent in the summer and likely to be coveted by a few clubs. If PSG are happy to be bunged £20m, and Rabiot is up for it, I can see him doing something like that.

But if it was Rabiot there would be no transfer fee. He signed Matip early. If in the case of Rabiot if it only takes a relatively small fee to bring him in even earlier why not? Its a question of using your common sense.

I was merely pointing out why January signings are not ideal generally, but perhaps even moreso in Klopp’s case. I clearly used the word ‘may’ and I did that for a very good reason. Unfortunately posters like ArD have to twist mere suggestions into definitive statements so that they can turn a perfectly innocent post into a reason for pedantry and smart-arsery.

I’ve said what I’ve said and it should be perfectly clear what I mean if posters actually read the words that I have used instead of selectively ignoring them or inserting imaginary words that I haven’t used. I do take your point, although I’m not sure why it needed saying. I’m going to leave it there. :-)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ok apparently my last response somehow pissed you off so I will try again.

"No because you are entering the business end of the season and need players who will make a rapid difference whether that be added quality and/or cover in a key position."

Some impact is still better than no impact. Going without or going with something that isn't perfect yet then the decision should be clear. One choice doesn't help you at all the other should help at least a little bit here and there.

"As a transfer window it is renowned for its inflated fees."

I really don't care. We are being intelligent enough with our money and hardly splashing the cash so if sometimes we spend a bit more to do business in a more convenient way for us then so be it.

"It just doesn’t suit Klopp’s approach."

I completely disagree with this vague generalisation. It suited Klopps approach bringing Van Dijk in during last winter. It's also by far the mid season point that has worked best for us under Klopp with regards to how the squad has been doing. VvD provided a real boost without which last season may well have failed off. And to go to my other posts VvD is now a rock solid foundation at the core of the squad. He's not a new player integrating in. All that was ironed out last season.

Limiescouse

Yeah, targeted recruitment in Jan can pay dividends for the following year, even if he doesn't contribute much that season. A signing for the purpose of having an effect that season = unlikely. One that is part of our long term strategy anyway, going for them in Jan makes it like they have a long pre-season.

It is also potentially going to be easier for new signings next year if we assume we will make fewer of them and so the group as a whole they walk in to will be a bit more up to speed than the one Naby and Fab came into

Claymenza

Weigl is no more a product of their youth team than Danny Ings is of ours. Even Pulisic is only if you have a very generous definition seeing as he was in the first team squad almost immediately upon being signed by them.

If we want to talk about development, I think what they have shown is that they are good at that final stage of turning promise into first team talent, but with rare exceptions these are not kids who have been produced by their academy.
If you're coaching players from the age of 18 into the first team, you're developing them.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
Been mentioned before but Hirving Lozano is apparently interested in a move to the Premier League. Could play on the right and allow Salah to move in to the striker role and I'm sure could play on the left if less effectively, so could cover for Sadio too! Certainly improves the front three, in my opinion. 8 in 11 for PSV plus 4 assists this season. Also scored against Spurs which is just a bonus!
17 goals and 11 assists last season in 29... them's some good stats even if it is Eredivisie

Anfield rd Dreamer

Been mentioned before but Hirving Lozano is apparently interested in a move to the Premier League. Could play on the right and allow Salah to move in to the striker role and I'm sure could play on the left if less effectively, so could cover for Sadio too! Certainly improves the front three, in my opinion. 8 in 11 for PSV plus 4 assists this season. Also scored against Spurs which is just a bonus!
17 goals and 11 assists last season in 29... them's some good stats even if it is Eredivisie
The problem with it being the Eredivisie can't be highlighted enough. You do get some good players from there like Suarez but it's so hard to tell. Jahanbakhsh did better than Lozano with 21 goals and 12 assists. Moved to Brighton and so far no goals or assists in 10 premier league appearances.

Zinedine Biscan

Never go full Lovren
The problem with it being the Eredivisie can't be highlighted enough. You do get some good players from there like Suarez but it's so hard to tell. Jahanbakhsh did better than Lozano with 21 goals and 12 assists. Moved to Brighton and so far no goals or assists in 10 premier league appearances.
Lozano also looked very good in the WC. I think it would largely depend on the cost, though, a big fee would be too much of a gamble.

Caradoc

Hen cnec ddiflas
Ok apparently my last response somehow pissed you off so I will try again.

"No because you are entering the business end of the season and need players who will make a rapid difference whether that be added quality and/or cover in a key position."

Some impact is still better than no impact. Going without or going with something that isn't perfect yet then the decision should be clear. One choice doesn't help you at all the other should help at least a little bit here and there.

"As a transfer window it is renowned for its inflated fees."

I really don't care. We are being intelligent enough with our money and hardly splashing the cash so if sometimes we spend a bit more to do business in a more convenient way for us then so be it.

"It just doesn’t suit Klopp’s approach."

I completely disagree with this vague generalisation. It suited Klopps approach bringing Van Dijk in during last winter. It's also by far the mid season point that has worked best for us under Klopp with regards to how the squad has been doing. VvD provided a real boost without which last season may well have failed off. And to go to my other posts VvD is now a rock solid foundation at the core of the squad. He's not a new player integrating in. All that was ironed out last season.

I already covered the VvD signing. Also, the VvD signing was a leftover issue from the previous summer.

I enjoy your posts normally so I don’t want to fall out with you. But you really can’t expect other posters not to get pissed off when you misrepresent their posts and continue to do so even when it is pointed out to you.

You don’t agree with me ...... fine ...... I am perfectly comfortable with that, but at least have the decency to agree with something I actually posted.

Perth Red

TIA Youth Team
Lozano also looked very good in the WC. I think it would largely depend on the cost, though, a big fee would be too much of a gamble.
Yes his performances for Mexico were pretty good, as you say it ultimately comes down to price. I just have a sneaking feeling that he would flourish in a high tempo environment. Also he has a bit of fire in him, not afraid to put a tackle in, which I like!

GermanRed

- we still don't have cover for Manés LW position
- personally i don't think Sturridge will be here next season
- while it was unthinkable last season Klopp is playing with a #10 now from time to time

The three points above make me think that we could bring in a new striker who can also Play on the left wing (we prefer signing versatile players) in the summer.

Firmino could then play as the #10 from time to time - i'm sure that could unleash his full potential (performance and numbers wise) and we all know about his defensive qualities.

#10 Shaqiri, Firmino
LW Mané, new signing
RW Salah, Shaqiri
ST Firmino, new signing

IMO Timo Werner would be perfect for us - he will have one year left on his contract in the summer. Leon Bailey would be another one who could fit in but i don't think he has the right mindset. Still believe that Lacazette would have been a great signing for us.

Any other suggestions for available players who are similar to Werner, Bailey, Lacazette?

Richard88

- we still don't have cover for Manés LW position
- personally i don't think Sturridge will be here next season
- while it was unthinkable last season Klopp is playing with a #10 now from time to time

The three points above make me think that we could bring in a new striker who can also Play on the left wing (we prefer signing versatile players) in the summer.

Firmino could then play as the #10 from time to time - i'm sure that could unleash his full potential (performance and numbers wise) and we all know about his defensive qualities.

#10 Shaqiri, Firmino
LW Mané, new signing
RW Salah, Shaqiri
ST Firmino, new signing

IMO Timo Werner would be perfect for us - he will have one year left on his contract in the summer. Leon Bailey would be another one who could fit in but i don't think he has the right mindset. Still believe that Lacazette would have been a great signing for us.

Any other suggestions for available players who are similar to Werner, Bailey, Lacazette?
Timo Werner is indeed the perfect alternative. Capable of playing on the wing or up front. Pacey, tenacious, and clinical. Also just 22 years old which fits the FSG profile.

When you think of the wealth of options City have up front, it makes sense to get another top quality CF like Werner to compete against them. As you said Werner's versatility would also ensure that he'd get plenty of game time, and also mean that Firmino could drop into the No.10 role at times.

As for other options, another CF who might be a good option is Kasper Dolberg.

Caradoc

Hen cnec ddiflas
I think the problem is, knee issues aside, Fekir was seen as the perfect fit for us by Klopp. That is the type of player that we were clearly looking at. There are very few players like him, certainly at his level and at that price.

Nothing wrong with suggesting players but the reality is that what we think and what Klopp thinks are quite often different. So one of us stating that a player is a perfect fit is about as relevant as suggesting Marge freakin’ Simpson ..... it ain’t gonna happen unless Klopp happens to be thinking the same thing!

Anfield rd Dreamer

I think the problem is, knee issues aside, Fekir was seen as the perfect fit for us by Klopp. That is the type of player that we were clearly looking at. There are very few players like him, certainly at his level and at that price.

Nothing wrong with suggesting players but the reality is that what we think and what Klopp thinks are quite often different. So one of us stating that a player is a perfect fit is about as relevant as suggesting Marge freakin’ Simpson ..... it ain’t gonna happen unless Klopp happens to be thinking the same thing!
Agree with this, especially as Klopp (more than most other managers) is less likely to accept a player that isn't a perfect match for what he wants. The only consideration I have is that Shaqiri has really shown promise central. I think the original plan was Shaqiri covering RW and LW and Fekir covering CAM and CF. Two players covering 4 positions between them. Then it's a guessing game as to whether Klopp still wants that or is now considering Shaqiri as the CAM option now. Still think someone more in the Fekir profile is the most likely Jan acquisition. But personally I'd like to see a top level wide option with Shaqiri moved CAM almost exclusively and Salah used at CF when Firmino isnt/can't play.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Dembele has become news once again. He is not even on tomorrow's match squad.

I can't say it would be an impossible deal at this point, tbh. He is in route of collision with Barcelona. Maybe even a january deal (loan + buy clause?) could happen?

Yeah, I know, he has a few issues, but I think they are very manageable.

GermanRed

I can't say it would be an impossible deal at this point, tbh. He is in route of collision with Barcelona. Maybe even a january deal (loan + buy clause?) could happen?

Didn’t appear to training and nobody at the club knew why. He called them 2 hours later and said he is ill.

Stupid idiot - don’t want him at Liverpool

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Didn’t appear to training and nobody at the club knew why. He called them 2 hours later and said he is ill.

Stupid idiot - don’t want him at Liverpool
Yeah, I know.

I really think you have a point, no doubt about that, but I also think Dembele is too good of a player to let him pass. VVD did the same to Southampton (maybe even worse) and here he is, as professional as ever.

GermanRed

Yeah, I know.

I really think you have a point, no doubt about that, but I also think Dembele is too good of a player to let him pass. VVD did the same to Southampton (maybe even worse) and here he is, as professional as ever.
VvD had his reasons and he did it when the transfer window was open. He wanted to leave a 'small' club for a great club, earn the money he deserves and play CL football.

Dembele forced his move away from Dortmund. He went on strike and and went AWOL. Everybody knew staying at Dortmund for another year would be very important for his development.

What problems does he have now? Does Barca not pay him enough money? Isn’t he at one of the biggest clubs in the world? Playing with some of the best in the world? Winning trophies? Maybe he doesn’t like being a 'small fish' at Barca?

Not enough playing time? He knew exactly what what he can expect if he signs for Barca. Maybe he is not training hard enough.

The problems he has at Barca he would clearly have at every other big club.

Dembele is an unreliable stupid idiot with the wrong mindset and a bad character and bad agents.

Danny_

The only way I see it happening is a loan and even that is unlikely

Danny_

Will go out on a limb on this one. As a completely different option for LW I would put in a bid for Roberto Pereyra

https://gfycat.com/easyembellishedgaur

https://gfycat.com/obeseslushycockerspaniel

https://gfycat.com/wateryuniformkentrosaurus
If he was on a free and reasonable wages, maybe. He does look like a good quality player but nothing massively special. He would be a decent squad player for us. Probably a step up on Lallana the way he is playing right now.