• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Red over the water

It would be hilarious if we bought Depay and he did well. It would help underscore Mourinho’s sound judgment after having sold those other well known chumps, De Bruyne and Salah!

YNWA-HM

Banned Users
Is it because he's not glamorous enough? Because performance wise Robertson is in the running for best LB in the league!
I think my post was taken out of context. The whole starting 11 imo is fine and does not need to be upgraded. The bench is solid as well. But if im nitpicking, I would upgrade at LB to replace Moreno. Sandro I think would be a great fit. I also think he is better than Robo.
I agree with you that he is arguably the best LB in the league right now, but it's possible that he could be having a career year and that it won't continue beyond this year.

I think the only way we buy players next window is if we have the potential to sign an upgrade. Our depth is not an issue atm

vjcpatriot

Wow Jadon Sancho, an 18 year old english player scooped up by the Bundesliga. And we ask why can't we get players like that? Probably gonna have to pay over the barrel to get him but probably worth it. By trade a left winger to rotate with Mane. Can he play the #10 role as well hough?

LFCFFC

To be fair, we did get one of the best left backs in the PL for £8 million, our starting right back is from the academy and the current record holder for most assists in a CL season was a free transfer. We've done pretty well with 'value for money' signings these last few years.

Sancho slipped through the cracks, as happens often with young players who get chewed up and spat out by the big clubs. Maybe the complete change of scenery was required for him to hit his straps. If anything City would be kicking themselves for letting him go, but they're not exactly short of quality wingers.

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Sancho slipped through the cracks, as happens often with young players who get chewed up and spat out by the big clubs. Maybe the complete change of scenery was required for him to hit his straps. If anything City would be kicking themselves for letting him go, but they're not exactly short of quality wingers.
Sancho didn't slip through the net, City wanted to keep him and we also made him an offer.. He was running down his contract and refusing to sign a new one hence accepting Dortmund bid but with a first refusal clause. He is an unbelievable talent, one City didn't want to lose.

RaoulDuke

Wind-Down Merchant
Wow Jadon Sancho, an 18 year old english player scooped up by the Bundesliga. And we ask why can't we get players like that? Probably gonna have to pay over the barrel to get him but probably worth it. By trade a left winger to rotate with Mane. Can he play the #10 role as well hough?
Hoffenheim also landed a scoop with Nelson from Arsenal. Unfortunately just a loan deal.
Maybe we should have sent Brewster and Solanke to the Bundesliga aswell.

Sweeting

All the media reports as though the English clubs didn't know what they were doing and Sancho just somehow was overlooked.

Everyone knew Sancho's ability. It was his decision to move away despite City offering him a contract and English clubs could not offer him a contract without paying a massive compensation fee to City.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Hoffenheim also landed a scoop with Nelson from Arsenal. Unfortunately just a loan deal.
Maybe we should have sent Brewster and Solanke to the Bundesliga aswell.
Ademola Lookman did really well at Leipzig last season and they wanted to sign him but a deal couldn't be agreed.

Gladbach wanted to sign Brewster and i believe the lad wasn't completely against it.

Schalke were interested in Loftus-Cheek.

It's obvious that Bundesliga teams are trying to take advantage of the fact that english talents don't get their chances in the first teams soon enough.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Still waiting on a better source but the Brazilian journalist who broke Alisson to Liverpool (even 2 or 3 days before Liverpool based journalists) and Arthur to Barcelona is saying Everton, Grêmio player, might be going to City for £25~30m. He has even received a call from Guardiola. Same team as Arthur (they actually played together at Grêmio).

He has been the best Grêmio player this season. Really good LW (or right, but he is best on the left), great dribbler, nice pace and his finishing is getting better and better. He is only 22, will get much better in the future.

Paquetá (Milan), Arthur (Barcelona), Lautaro (Inter Milan), Ezequiel Palacios, Rodrygo and Vinícius Jr. (Real Madrid) and now Everton to City (maybe). Man, we really need to take a look at South America. Paying £25~30m+ I highly doubt we wouldn't be able to get a work permit. Gabriel Jesus got his.

Everton would be a very good backup player, probably a starter in the future. He looks a lot like Mané.

GaryBarlow99

He does look good and his stats are decent. Shame if City get him but if it meant we had a clear run on Sancho I would be fine with that :)

Danny_

I don't rate Pulsic at all from what I have seen and really hope the rumours are not true. The fact that he is American might make our owners want to buy him for marketing reasons though. I don't think he would be that much better than Lallana

Claymenza

I don't rate Pulsic at all from what I have seen and really hope the rumours are not true. The fact that he is American might make our owners want to buy him for marketing reasons though. I don't think he would be that much better than Lallana
Pulisic is 10 years his junior and already better than lallana. He is not only a 10 but also a winger unlike lallana who does not carry the ball like he used to.

At the same time, pulisic is a man united supporter. Klopp can't accept that.

GermanRed

Ademola Lookman did really well at Leipzig last season and they wanted to sign him but a deal couldn't be agreed.

Gladbach wanted to sign Brewster and i believe the lad wasn't completely against it.

Schalke were interested in Loftus-Cheek.

It's obvious that Bundesliga teams are trying to take advantage of the fact that english talents don't get their chances in the first teams soon enough.
I've forgot Gladbach had Reece Oxford on loan and they are still interested in signing him.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
there is a young-ish lad (24 in February) starting to make a name from himself in Scotland at Celtic,

Ryan Christie, plays in an attacking midfield position, a big game player, very creative, good technique,
likes to run at people and can score a goal or 2,

Former young player of the year, in Scotland before moving to Celtic, where it has a couple of years for him to break through
(he also had a load deal at Aberdeen)

whats caught my attention is the way he has bulked up, he looks more athletic, stronger,
and I like the way he plays, cocky and with a smile on his face all the time, plus he like to rub the opposition up the wrong way,

Maybe worth a punt for a couple of Million?

@Dave-D what you think of him? do you think he could cut the mustard at LFC?

here are some of his best bits from last season, apologies in advance about the music...

GermanRed

Leipzig and Timo Werner (18 months left on his current paper) struggling to agree a new contract. RB not able (or don't want to) pay him more than ₤100k a week - sounds like peanuts for a club like Liverpool.

Dave-D

there is a young-ish lad (24 in February) starting to make a name from himself in Scotland at Celtic,

Ryan Christie, plays in an attacking midfield position, a big game player, very creative, good technique,
likes to run at people and can score a goal or 2,

Former young player of the year, in Scotland before moving to Celtic, where it has a couple of years for him to break through
(he also had a load deal at Aberdeen)

whats caught my attention is the way he has bulked up, he looks more athletic, stronger,
and I like the way he plays, cocky and with a smile on his face all the time, plus he like to rub the opposition up the wrong way,

Maybe worth a punt for a couple of Million?

@Dave-D what you think of him? do you think he could cut the mustard at LFC?
Was to hot and cold to be considered a player of the required quality for Liverpool.
Started last season well but fell off a cliff performance wise from about Christmas time onwards.

vjcpatriot

Leipzig and Timo Werner (18 months left on his current paper) struggling to agree a new contract. RB not able (or don't want to) pay him more than ₤100k a week - sounds like peanuts for a club like Liverpool.
Timo Werner would be a fantastic get. Loads of pace and upside as a striker. And if he wants £100k per week we can make room for him in wages by simply letting Sturridge walk at the end of the season.

RedForever2014

Mane's new contract is welcome news. A boost to all and hopefully a signal that the loss of top players is slowing.

It gives us time to add that third quality wide forward of a similar style, in case one of the front three move on further down the line.

GermanRed

I have two 'Problems' with Timo Werner

- not saying he is injury prone but he often misses a game or two (especially when they are playing in midweek). Something with his ears, illness, fatigue, small injuries ... Things aren't easier in England.

- I'm following Werners career since his debut in Stuttgart. He is not and he never was a clinical finisher and i'm starting to think that he never will be. He misses so many chances but to be fair on him he somehow manages to get so many. This season i think he needed 49 shots to get 6 goals in the Bundesliga. Media in England would eat him alive.

vjcpatriot

Should we be keeping an eye on Lyon midfield Houssem Aouar?

The 20 year old French midfielder already scored 6 goals and 5 assists in 32 matches last term. But this year he has tallied 5 goals and 1 assist in just 13 league matches. Surely if we are moving past Fekir, teammate Aouar might have caught Klopp's eye?

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Should we be keeping an eye on Lyon midfield Houssem Aouar?

The 20 year old French midfielder already scored 6 goals and 5 assists in 32 matches last term. But this year he has tallied 5 goals and 1 assist in just 13 league matches. Surely if we are moving past Fekir, teammate Aouar might have caught Klopp's eye?
Your speculation wouldn't have anything to do with that tidbit on the Twitter thread, would it?

vjcpatriot

A few articles have came out on Aouar today. In particular on Chelsea's interest in Aouar. IMO he would just be wasted at Chelsea as are 90% of the talented prospects who end up on their bench/reserves/loaned out. But I believe Klopp could do something special with this kid at LFC.

RedForever2014

The forthcoming run will be interesting.

Albeit new players were still settling, our current squad wasn't quite deep enough in terms of rotatable cover to cope with the seven match series that included consecutive high level matches against top sides. Results slipped in the latter half of the sequence, against Chelsea, Napoli and City, with no win in the last four of that run.

We did well in the last sequence, but the question in the next run, is whether the squad can cope with three matches a week over a longish period, even though some of those are against so called lesser sides.

The squad building project is at an important juncture. It's not a massive squad, 21 outfield senior players, with several players within that 21 who aren't able to get much game time because the drop off in level is too great when they play. Our younger players who aren't yet classed as senior players, because they haven't featured for the first 11 enough, whether still here or on loan, aren't ready to play in a side genuinely looking to compete. They really need to be on loan next season. This includes the young keepers, Camacho, Philips, Jones, Wilson, Woodburn.

Personally I think Origi, Lallana, Clyne, Moreno, Matip and Solanke don't offer enough and need to be upgraded. Sturridge is a 30 minute off the bench, occasional PL starter and FA Cup player.

But if we let two or three of them go in January, we'll be short for the second half of the season.

We can't compete in Europe (CL or Europa League), the PL, and the FA Cup with 18 senior outfield players. One or two injuries and you're using kids on and from the bench - great experience for them, but not a recipe for crossing the line and winning something.

I think we need to make a signing in January if we want to keep the momentum up, be that Fekir (type), Pulisic, Dembele (on loan).

GaryBarlow99

Oliver Bond saying we will invest heavily in a striker next season. Wonder what this means for Firmino, Sturridge, Solanke and Brewster?

Dybala would be the dream but could see us going for Werner.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
We must get advantage of the really messy things going on at Madrid and rescue one or two player there, namely Isco and/or Asensio. It's the perfect moment to do that.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

We must get advantage of the really messy things going on at Madrid and rescue one or two player there, namely Isco and/or Asensio. It's the perfect moment to do that.
Fuck them both. They both show precisely the attitude why a side good enough to win 3 CLs on the trot put up such poor league challenges. There is not a single player at Real I would spend a penny on.

lfc.8

Real would be a hard club to deal with no matter the situation. Top players, top Spanish players playing for one of the top clubs in the world. Real don't usually lose players.

We certainly need an attacking midfielder though. We need more creativity and we miss that with Coutinho now gone. Generally the midfield all round needs to improve. Hopefully Fabinho and Keita prove their worth. Players we could look at include Eriksen, James Rodriguez, Dybala, Fekir. Fekir probably not with what happened in the summer. You've noted Aouar previously and he might be an interesting option.

We also need another top quality forward. Ideally someone who's versatile both as a wide forward and through the middle. Or perhaps a striker like Icardi. Then depending on how well Fabinho and Keita perform, another central midfielder wouldn't go amiss, and a right back ideally.

Last edited: