• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

vjcpatriot

We also need another top quality forward. Ideally someone who's versatile both as a wide forward and through the middle. Or perhaps a striker like Icardi. Then depending on how well Fabinho and Keita perform, another central midfielder wouldn't go amiss, and a right back ideally.
I feel we are set at RB with TAA continuing to show improvement every single week. In fact we probably have one of the best pair of young starting fullbacks in the entire PL tbh. And our central pair of VVD and Gomez are top notch as well.

Another striker and a #10 is what we need. Werner + Aouar would be fantastic pickups next summer.

Not to knock the likes of Solanke, Origi, and Sturridge, but none of them are really suitable to challenge/rotate as a #1 striker for LFC at this stage where we are competing for silverware.

lfc.8

I feel we are set at RB with TAA continuing to show improvement every single week. In fact we probably have one of the best pair of young starting fullbacks in the entire PL tbh. And our central pair of VVD and Gomez are top notch as well.

Another striker and a #10 is what we need. Werner + Aouar would be fantastic pickups next summer.

Not to knock the likes of Solanke, Origi, and Sturridge, but none of them are really suitable to challenge/rotate as a #1 striker for LFC at this stage where we are competing for silverware.
Still a few question marks around Alexander-Arnold. Certainly got potential and he's not bad but equally so he's not great. Notably he's young and will get better but it's currently one of the weakest parts of the team.

Gomez has performed really well this season and his partnership with van Dijk looks good. Lovren and Matip can easily be improved upon but not the biggest priority at the moment. Matip might well go this summer though.

Solanke, Origi, Sturridge all need to be sold and or released to help fund a better player. Werner not so sure of his all round quality. There's probably not too many players out there though which are suitable.

Limiescouse

We certainly need an attacking midfielder though. We need more creativity and we miss that with Coutinho now gone. Generally the midfield all round needs to improve. Hopefully Fabinho and Keita prove their worth. Players we could look at include Eriksen, James Rodriguez, Dybala, Fekir. Fekir probably not with what happened in the summer. You've noted Aouar previously and he might be an interesting option.
I think one of the reasons there is such a belief on here that our midfield lacks in ability and creativity is the players we tend to compare them against are forwards and not midfielders. It's Garth Crooks style team building..."I've already selected a forward for my team of the week so I'm going to stick Mo Salah in at LB."

Red Ted

Oliver Bond saying we will invest heavily in a striker next season. Wonder what this means for Firmino, Sturridge, Solanke and Brewster?

Dybala would be the dream but could see us going for Werner.
It wouldn't mean anything for Firmino & Brewster.

Solanke, Sturridge & Origi will be out the door if we do splash out on a forward, maybe a loan for Solanke although I don't see a future for him here.

Red over the water

Sell Origi and Solanke for £50M and replace them with a better striker. That’s £50M not currently making an impact on the pitch. Could buy a useful striker for that, or use as a hefty down payment depending on which one. If we keep Sturridge around it’s because he is reasonably fit and has a lot of quality for coming off the bench or playing in the cup.

Four central strikers should be Firmino, new man, Brewster and Sturridge.

I thought Origi would be a good player for us but he has faded and we need to get rid. Wolves for £20M in January? As for Solanke, he would be a bit unlucky to be sold, but it’s a tough old world. He’s a decent player but I don’t think he quite has that bit extra needed to play at Liverpool. Maybe he could go to Rangers on loan in January, bang a few in for Stevie and help them challenge for the Scottish title, then sell him next summer to a mid ranking Prem team for a good £30M.

lfc.8

I think one of the reasons there is such a belief on here that our midfield lacks in ability and creativity is the players we tend to compare them against are forwards and not midfielders. It's Garth Crooks style team building..."I've already selected a forward for my team of the week so I'm going to stick Mo Salah in at LB."
Perhaps. There's also the lack of control in managing a game, the composure and lack of tempo at times. It's also about looking at the team and seeing where it can be improved.

Alisson, van Dijk, Gomez, Robertson, Mane, Firmino and Salah all pretty much lock down a position. No immediate concerns. Outside them there's a few more.

We have a good team but you always need to look forward and seek improvement. Sorting the midfield would be part of that. Fabinho and Keita are a wait and see. Adding an attacking midfielder would add more creativity. We went for Fekir but it didn't quite happen. Is Shaqiri the alternative, are we still looking or will we look for a different blend.

Limiescouse

We have a good team but you always need to look forward and seek improvement. Sorting the midfield would be part of that. Fabinho and Keita are a wait and see. Adding an attacking midfielder would add more creativity. We went for Fekir but it didn't quite happen. Is Shaqiri the alternative, are we still looking or will we look for a different blend.
Possibly. But "sorting" it by buying a forward and asking him to play in midfield isn't going to end well.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
If Klopps uses Bobby more often as a #10 in the coming months that would be a clear sign that we will go after a striker in the summer.

In theory we have Firmino, Shaqiri, Ox, Lallana and Jones for the one #10 position - more than enough.

For the CF position we have Salah who is a winger. Brewster and Solanke are still kids. Origis Liverpool career is coming to an end. Sturridges future is unclear.

I have no problem with Firmino as a striker but I think he can do the same things from the #10 position or even improve on that from there.

Limiescouse

If Klopps uses Bobby more often as a #10 in the coming months that would be a clear sign that we will go after a striker in the summer.

In theory we have Firmino, Shaqiri, Ox, Lallana and Jones for the one #10 position - more than enough.

For the CF position we have Salah who is a winger. Brewster and Solanke are still kids. Origis Liverpool career is coming to an end. Sturridges future is unclear.

I have no problem with Firmino as a striker but I think he can do the same things from the #10 position or even improve on that from there.
Exacept I think that ignores what is actually happening. Bobby is dropping deeper not because we have no one else who can, but to accommodate an attempt to go Mo closer to goal. It started happening last season and has continued as our default this year

Dave-D

Should Liverpool be looking to offload Moreno in January and taking in a short term replacement.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
My hope is Adam Lewis can replace Moreno.
And Clyne can provide cover on the left whilst Fabinho and Gomez provide cover on the right in times of need. Even with a probable departure of Moreno sometime soon and uncertainty over what the academy can provide I wouldn't look at the full back positions at the moment. Personally believe we have the best starting duo in the league. Up there with anyone on their day and only going to get better with experience. If both Clyne and Moreno depart I'd maybe try and find a solid, experienced full back who can cover both sides. But if one or both are here till next summer or beyond we might have options from the academy by then and not even need that player.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
And Clyne can provide cover on the left whilst Fabinho and Gomez provide cover on the right in times of need. Even with a probable departure of Moreno sometime soon and uncertainty over what the academy can provide I wouldn't look at the full back positions at the moment. Personally believe we have the best starting duo in the league. Up there with anyone on their day and only going to get better with experience. If both Clyne and Moreno depart I'd maybe try and find a solid, experienced full back who can cover both sides. But if one or both are here till next summer or beyond we might have options from the academy by then and not even need that player.
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/academy/player/anderson-arroyo

I hope this kid makes it

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I don’t think Clyne starts again for LFC. If Klopp has an intention of using him, then he would have used him by now. He isn’t even making the match squad.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Clyne isn't trusted to play on the right, nor should he be on the left. Lewis will get torn apart against a good winger and if they had any intention of using him as a left back in the near future he probably wouldn't be starting as a right winger for the u23s. Juanma is a bit average, perhaps Johnston could do a decent job defensively for a couple of games. If Moreno gets sold he should be replaced.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

I don’t think Clyne starts again for LFC. If Klopp has an intention of using him, then he would have used him by now. He isn’t even making the match squad.
I think Klopp's comments this weekend after the game were telling. In talking about his options for accommodating Gomez's knock he didn't even mention Clyne, despite him making the bench. Sometimes it is what you don't say that matters.
Or just read the posts again.
It was your post I directly addressed with my original comment. Of all the players you mentioned as options to give our midfield creativity only one can sensibly be argued is a midfielder (Erikson), and even that is very situational.

My point is that if we judge our midfield against fantasy one full of forwards then we're always going to seem like we're pedestrian and lacking ability and guile. However, ours actually wins games because its an actual midfield.

Sweeting

Seems unlikely for him. He is 19 and can't get near the match day squad for Gent (where fellow loanee Awoniyi is a regular).

Lewis won't make it as a LB - his defensive awareness is worse than Moreno's.

Juanma is probably not really good enough to be starting for the U23s.

Johnston is an out and out centre back who is sometimes forced out wide in necessity.

Larouci looks a talent but is only 17 and barely featured at U23 level yet.

I don't think any of the left back options we have at academy level will be ready to replace Moreno.

lfc.8

It was your post I directly addressed with my original comment. Of all the players you mentioned as options to give our midfield creativity only one can sensibly be argued is a midfielder (Erikson), and even that is very situational.

My point is that if we judge our midfield against fantasy one full of forwards then we're always going to seem like we're pedestrian and lacking ability and guile. However, ours actually wins games because its an actual midfield.
Not really.

They've all played as attacking midfielders. It's one component of a midfield. There's a balance at play and we don't all need a team of Milner's.
The point was broad. Pigeonholing them all as forwards. Sure.

Last edited:

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Fuck them both. They both show precisely the attitude why a side good enough to win 3 CLs on the trot put up such poor league challenges. There is not a single player at Real I would spend a penny on.
Their manager is garbage (I mean, they had a manager, now they don't), Ronaldo off to italy, Zidane has left, players getting old... Real Madrid at the moment is not about the players, it's about the end of a very victorious cicle.

We now how important a manager is to a club. Our has changed everything. They have no manager, no system, the backroom is dominated by the older players... they are clueless.

Isco is an amazing player who needs guidance from a good manager and he will shine again. Asensio has huge potential and is already a very good player, but Real are in a mess, not a single player will perform the way they are right now.

I'd take both players for sure at a good price. With Klopp by their side they would become world class players.

RedForever2014

To be honest the who is debatable, but what I am sure of is that if we want to compete we've always got to be looking to develop and improve the squad.

If we lose players who aren't quite good enough to play much and want to play more by moving elsewhere, we can't be letting them go and relying on versatility and youth to fill the gaps.

Also, if we're going to play 4231 quite a bit, it's clear we don't have quite enough in the forward group.

The two players who'd really take the squad up a level are another quick quality wide man and a top quality 10.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Also, if we're going to play 4231 quite a bit, it's clear we don't have quite enough in the forward group.

The two players who'd really take the squad up a level are another quick quality wide man and a top quality 10.
Shaqiri and Firmino for the #10 position is more than enough.

We need to replace Origi and Sturridge with ONE player who can play upfront and left wide - like Werner oder Depay for example.

GaryBarlow99

Weren't we interested in Jordan Amavi before he went to Villa? Seems he has been playing very well for Marseille and we do have previous for going back in for players we missed out on. Would be a good Moreno replacement if none of the youngsters can make the step up.

Dave-D

Depay. Yes I’d buy Depay, previous experience of the EPL but he’d be forgiven for forgetting about that as LVG was his manager so no more needs to be said there.
Would integrate easily into the squad with a little help from Gini and VVD.
Only 24 so will still improve before hitting his peak.
Last but not least he’d be a great addition to the squad and there wouldn’t be any drop off in quality if either him or Mane played.

Edited to include his stats from this season
https://www.transfermarkt.com/memphis-depay/leistungsdaten/spieler/167850

Claymenza

Depay. Yes I’d buy Depay, previous experience of the EPL but he’d be forgiven for forgetting about that as LVG was his manager so no more needs to be said there.
Would integrate easily into the squad with a little help from Gini and VVD.
Only 24 so will still improve before hitting his peak.
Last but not least he’d be a great addition to the squad and there wouldn’t be any drop off in quality if either him or Mane played.

Edited to include his stats from this season
https://www.transfermarkt.com/memphis-depay/leistungsdaten/spieler/167850
That buy back clause will mean the price will be extortionate.

Also, he turned down brendan rodgers and we got firmino instead.

Dave-D

That buy back clause will mean the price will be extortionate.

Also, he turned down brendan rodgers and we got firmino instead.
Would he want to go back to manure just now i very much doubt it and at worst it means manure pay more after Liverpool push the price up.

Could you blame him for turning down Rodgers. I couldn’t and then there’s the other factor that he’d been managed by LVG before but it then turned sour