Who would you buy?

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Should we be keeping an eye on Lyon midfield Houssem Aouar?

The 20 year old French midfielder already scored 6 goals and 5 assists in 32 matches last term. But this year he has tallied 5 goals and 1 assist in just 13 league matches. Surely if we are moving past Fekir, teammate Aouar might have caught Klopp's eye?
Your speculation wouldn't have anything to do with that tidbit on the Twitter thread, would it?

vjcpatriot

A few articles have came out on Aouar today. In particular on Chelsea's interest in Aouar. IMO he would just be wasted at Chelsea as are 90% of the talented prospects who end up on their bench/reserves/loaned out. But I believe Klopp could do something special with this kid at LFC.

RedForever2014

The forthcoming run will be interesting.

Albeit new players were still settling, our current squad wasn't quite deep enough in terms of rotatable cover to cope with the seven match series that included consecutive high level matches against top sides. Results slipped in the latter half of the sequence, against Chelsea, Napoli and City, with no win in the last four of that run.

We did well in the last sequence, but the question in the next run, is whether the squad can cope with three matches a week over a longish period, even though some of those are against so called lesser sides.

The squad building project is at an important juncture. It's not a massive squad, 21 outfield senior players, with several players within that 21 who aren't able to get much game time because the drop off in level is too great when they play. Our younger players who aren't yet classed as senior players, because they haven't featured for the first 11 enough, whether still here or on loan, aren't ready to play in a side genuinely looking to compete. They really need to be on loan next season. This includes the young keepers, Camacho, Philips, Jones, Wilson, Woodburn.

Personally I think Origi, Lallana, Clyne, Moreno, Matip and Solanke don't offer enough and need to be upgraded. Sturridge is a 30 minute off the bench, occasional PL starter and FA Cup player.

But if we let two or three of them go in January, we'll be short for the second half of the season.

We can't compete in Europe (CL or Europa League), the PL, and the FA Cup with 18 senior outfield players. One or two injuries and you're using kids on and from the bench - great experience for them, but not a recipe for crossing the line and winning something.

I think we need to make a signing in January if we want to keep the momentum up, be that Fekir (type), Pulisic, Dembele (on loan).

GaryBarlow99

Oliver Bond saying we will invest heavily in a striker next season. Wonder what this means for Firmino, Sturridge, Solanke and Brewster?

Dybala would be the dream but could see us going for Werner.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
We must get advantage of the really messy things going on at Madrid and rescue one or two player there, namely Isco and/or Asensio. It's the perfect moment to do that.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

We must get advantage of the really messy things going on at Madrid and rescue one or two player there, namely Isco and/or Asensio. It's the perfect moment to do that.
Fuck them both. They both show precisely the attitude why a side good enough to win 3 CLs on the trot put up such poor league challenges. There is not a single player at Real I would spend a penny on.

lfc.8

Real would be a hard club to deal with no matter the situation. Top players, top Spanish players playing for one of the top clubs in the world. Real don't usually lose players.

We certainly need an attacking midfielder though. We need more creativity and we miss that with Coutinho now gone. Generally the midfield all round needs to improve. Hopefully Fabinho and Keita prove their worth. Players we could look at include Eriksen, James Rodriguez, Dybala, Fekir. Fekir probably not with what happened in the summer. You've noted Aouar previously and he might be an interesting option.

We also need another top quality forward. Ideally someone who's versatile both as a wide forward and through the middle. Or perhaps a striker like Icardi. Then depending on how well Fabinho and Keita perform, another central midfielder wouldn't go amiss, and a right back ideally.

Last edited:

vjcpatriot

We also need another top quality forward. Ideally someone who's versatile both as a wide forward and through the middle. Or perhaps a striker like Icardi. Then depending on how well Fabinho and Keita perform, another central midfielder wouldn't go amiss, and a right back ideally.
I feel we are set at RB with TAA continuing to show improvement every single week. In fact we probably have one of the best pair of young starting fullbacks in the entire PL tbh. And our central pair of VVD and Gomez are top notch as well.

Another striker and a #10 is what we need. Werner + Aouar would be fantastic pickups next summer.

Not to knock the likes of Solanke, Origi, and Sturridge, but none of them are really suitable to challenge/rotate as a #1 striker for LFC at this stage where we are competing for silverware.

lfc.8

I feel we are set at RB with TAA continuing to show improvement every single week. In fact we probably have one of the best pair of young starting fullbacks in the entire PL tbh. And our central pair of VVD and Gomez are top notch as well.

Another striker and a #10 is what we need. Werner + Aouar would be fantastic pickups next summer.

Not to knock the likes of Solanke, Origi, and Sturridge, but none of them are really suitable to challenge/rotate as a #1 striker for LFC at this stage where we are competing for silverware.
Still a few question marks around Alexander-Arnold. Certainly got potential and he's not bad but equally so he's not great. Notably he's young and will get better but it's currently one of the weakest parts of the team.

Gomez has performed really well this season and his partnership with van Dijk looks good. Lovren and Matip can easily be improved upon but not the biggest priority at the moment. Matip might well go this summer though.

Solanke, Origi, Sturridge all need to be sold and or released to help fund a better player. Werner not so sure of his all round quality. There's probably not too many players out there though which are suitable.

Limiescouse

We certainly need an attacking midfielder though. We need more creativity and we miss that with Coutinho now gone. Generally the midfield all round needs to improve. Hopefully Fabinho and Keita prove their worth. Players we could look at include Eriksen, James Rodriguez, Dybala, Fekir. Fekir probably not with what happened in the summer. You've noted Aouar previously and he might be an interesting option.
I think one of the reasons there is such a belief on here that our midfield lacks in ability and creativity is the players we tend to compare them against are forwards and not midfielders. It's Garth Crooks style team building..."I've already selected a forward for my team of the week so I'm going to stick Mo Salah in at LB."

Red Ted

Oliver Bond saying we will invest heavily in a striker next season. Wonder what this means for Firmino, Sturridge, Solanke and Brewster?

Dybala would be the dream but could see us going for Werner.
It wouldn't mean anything for Firmino & Brewster.

Solanke, Sturridge & Origi will be out the door if we do splash out on a forward, maybe a loan for Solanke although I don't see a future for him here.

Red over the water

Sell Origi and Solanke for £50M and replace them with a better striker. That’s £50M not currently making an impact on the pitch. Could buy a useful striker for that, or use as a hefty down payment depending on which one. If we keep Sturridge around it’s because he is reasonably fit and has a lot of quality for coming off the bench or playing in the cup.

Four central strikers should be Firmino, new man, Brewster and Sturridge.

I thought Origi would be a good player for us but he has faded and we need to get rid. Wolves for £20M in January? As for Solanke, he would be a bit unlucky to be sold, but it’s a tough old world. He’s a decent player but I don’t think he quite has that bit extra needed to play at Liverpool. Maybe he could go to Rangers on loan in January, bang a few in for Stevie and help them challenge for the Scottish title, then sell him next summer to a mid ranking Prem team for a good £30M.

lfc.8

I think one of the reasons there is such a belief on here that our midfield lacks in ability and creativity is the players we tend to compare them against are forwards and not midfielders. It's Garth Crooks style team building..."I've already selected a forward for my team of the week so I'm going to stick Mo Salah in at LB."
Perhaps. There's also the lack of control in managing a game, the composure and lack of tempo at times. It's also about looking at the team and seeing where it can be improved.

Alisson, van Dijk, Gomez, Robertson, Mane, Firmino and Salah all pretty much lock down a position. No immediate concerns. Outside them there's a few more.

We have a good team but you always need to look forward and seek improvement. Sorting the midfield would be part of that. Fabinho and Keita are a wait and see. Adding an attacking midfielder would add more creativity. We went for Fekir but it didn't quite happen. Is Shaqiri the alternative, are we still looking or will we look for a different blend.

Limiescouse

We have a good team but you always need to look forward and seek improvement. Sorting the midfield would be part of that. Fabinho and Keita are a wait and see. Adding an attacking midfielder would add more creativity. We went for Fekir but it didn't quite happen. Is Shaqiri the alternative, are we still looking or will we look for a different blend.
Possibly. But "sorting" it by buying a forward and asking him to play in midfield isn't going to end well.

GermanRed

If Klopps uses Bobby more often as a #10 in the coming months that would be a clear sign that we will go after a striker in the summer.

In theory we have Firmino, Shaqiri, Ox, Lallana and Jones for the one #10 position - more than enough.

For the CF position we have Salah who is a winger. Brewster and Solanke are still kids. Origis Liverpool career is coming to an end. Sturridges future is unclear.

I have no problem with Firmino as a striker but I think he can do the same things from the #10 position or even improve on that from there.

Limiescouse

If Klopps uses Bobby more often as a #10 in the coming months that would be a clear sign that we will go after a striker in the summer.

In theory we have Firmino, Shaqiri, Ox, Lallana and Jones for the one #10 position - more than enough.

For the CF position we have Salah who is a winger. Brewster and Solanke are still kids. Origis Liverpool career is coming to an end. Sturridges future is unclear.

I have no problem with Firmino as a striker but I think he can do the same things from the #10 position or even improve on that from there.
Exacept I think that ignores what is actually happening. Bobby is dropping deeper not because we have no one else who can, but to accommodate an attempt to go Mo closer to goal. It started happening last season and has continued as our default this year

Anfield rd Dreamer

My hope is Adam Lewis can replace Moreno.
And Clyne can provide cover on the left whilst Fabinho and Gomez provide cover on the right in times of need. Even with a probable departure of Moreno sometime soon and uncertainty over what the academy can provide I wouldn't look at the full back positions at the moment. Personally believe we have the best starting duo in the league. Up there with anyone on their day and only going to get better with experience. If both Clyne and Moreno depart I'd maybe try and find a solid, experienced full back who can cover both sides. But if one or both are here till next summer or beyond we might have options from the academy by then and not even need that player.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
And Clyne can provide cover on the left whilst Fabinho and Gomez provide cover on the right in times of need. Even with a probable departure of Moreno sometime soon and uncertainty over what the academy can provide I wouldn't look at the full back positions at the moment. Personally believe we have the best starting duo in the league. Up there with anyone on their day and only going to get better with experience. If both Clyne and Moreno depart I'd maybe try and find a solid, experienced full back who can cover both sides. But if one or both are here till next summer or beyond we might have options from the academy by then and not even need that player.
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/academy/player/anderson-arroyo

I hope this kid makes it

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I don’t think Clyne starts again for LFC. If Klopp has an intention of using him, then he would have used him by now. He isn’t even making the match squad.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Clyne isn't trusted to play on the right, nor should he be on the left. Lewis will get torn apart against a good winger and if they had any intention of using him as a left back in the near future he probably wouldn't be starting as a right winger for the u23s. Juanma is a bit average, perhaps Johnston could do a decent job defensively for a couple of games. If Moreno gets sold he should be replaced.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

I don’t think Clyne starts again for LFC. If Klopp has an intention of using him, then he would have used him by now. He isn’t even making the match squad.
I think Klopp's comments this weekend after the game were telling. In talking about his options for accommodating Gomez's knock he didn't even mention Clyne, despite him making the bench. Sometimes it is what you don't say that matters.
Or just read the posts again.
It was your post I directly addressed with my original comment. Of all the players you mentioned as options to give our midfield creativity only one can sensibly be argued is a midfielder (Erikson), and even that is very situational.

My point is that if we judge our midfield against fantasy one full of forwards then we're always going to seem like we're pedestrian and lacking ability and guile. However, ours actually wins games because its an actual midfield.

Sweeting

Seems unlikely for him. He is 19 and can't get near the match day squad for Gent (where fellow loanee Awoniyi is a regular).

Lewis won't make it as a LB - his defensive awareness is worse than Moreno's.

Juanma is probably not really good enough to be starting for the U23s.

Johnston is an out and out centre back who is sometimes forced out wide in necessity.

Larouci looks a talent but is only 17 and barely featured at U23 level yet.

I don't think any of the left back options we have at academy level will be ready to replace Moreno.

lfc.8

It was your post I directly addressed with my original comment. Of all the players you mentioned as options to give our midfield creativity only one can sensibly be argued is a midfielder (Erikson), and even that is very situational.

My point is that if we judge our midfield against fantasy one full of forwards then we're always going to seem like we're pedestrian and lacking ability and guile. However, ours actually wins games because its an actual midfield.
Not really.

They've all played as attacking midfielders. It's one component of a midfield. There's a balance at play and we don't all need a team of Milner's.
The point was broad. Pigeonholing them all as forwards. Sure.

Last edited:

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Fuck them both. They both show precisely the attitude why a side good enough to win 3 CLs on the trot put up such poor league challenges. There is not a single player at Real I would spend a penny on.
Their manager is garbage (I mean, they had a manager, now they don't), Ronaldo off to italy, Zidane has left, players getting old... Real Madrid at the moment is not about the players, it's about the end of a very victorious cicle.

We now how important a manager is to a club. Our has changed everything. They have no manager, no system, the backroom is dominated by the older players... they are clueless.

Isco is an amazing player who needs guidance from a good manager and he will shine again. Asensio has huge potential and is already a very good player, but Real are in a mess, not a single player will perform the way they are right now.

I'd take both players for sure at a good price. With Klopp by their side they would become world class players.