Who would you buy?

jackh1092

Wijnaldum on Depay a few weeks after he signed for Lyon:
'His move to Lyon is interesting. Memphis trains incredibly hard, and he also has everything to reach the top. 'There was criticism of his game, I understand that. With his options he needs to play more. But the criticism of what he does outside of playing football, I do not understand.'

They know each other for many years now. It's almost as if Gini knew Depay would be such a success at Lyon. Also, if Wijnaldum thinks he is a good person - that's enough for me.

Depay brings goals and assists, can play upfront, LW (and even behind one or two strikers).

He's hardly going to say, nah he's a lazy B is he?

All players raved about Balotelli etc. they are all teammates at the end of the day.

Wouldn't take anything from those quotes.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Wouldn't take Gini's words of support in public to a friend as something telling. He'd probably say that Babel deserves another 4 years here...

Lozano? :-)

Red over the water

On another note, but with Burnley in mind - Would anyone fancy Tom Heaton as back up to Allisson....we are likely to be shot of Migs and Heaton would give us a better back up option. Heaton has said he wants to go in January as is 3rd choice now there?
On the assumption that Mignolet will be off, and Kelleher and Grabara aren’t quite seasoned enough yet, why not? Heaton would be a good player for the role. And if not him, then that sort of profile - older, wouldn’t expect to play, but would be ready and experienced if and when called upon.

Claymenza

Maybe we dont have the quality in our youth?

We have enough wingers? Really? I see little to no depth after Mane/Salah/Shaqiri.

P.s. Sancho isn’t on loan.
we haven't youth enough of a chance to know that.

shaqiri is depth and firmino can play on the wing if sturridge starts up front
Ox is also a winger who may no longer fit in midfield now that keita and fabinho have landed.

We have an abundance of wingers turned midfielders like gini and lallana.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
On another note, but with Burnley in mind - Would anyone fancy Tom Heaton as back up to Allisson....we are likely to be shot of Migs and Heaton would give us a better back up option. Heaton has said he wants to go in January as is 3rd choice now there?
Yes. Think that would be a good idea as post Brexit we may have to ditch all of our goalies except Allison, with them not being English and not likely to play in the first team. However, during the Burnley game one of the commentators said that Heaton was rumored to be joining Aston Villa in January. He might go for that over us as he'd have more chance of first team action there.

RedForever2014

Good to see everyone in good form today.

We do have quality in every department and versatility too, but should always be looking to improve and strengthen.

Let's not forget that we only have 21 outfield players, of whom a few aren't really that useful and 3 or 4 are likely departures.

You can easily see a few of Clyne, Moreno, Solanke, Sturridge, Origi and Lallana being moved on in January or the summer, and we need to keep the outfield senior squad at 20 at least.

I don't see the likes of Camacho, Jones or Philips filling those gaps without loan spells and of those on loan only Wilson looks like he could do a job next season. I think we should leave Wilson at Derby until May, he'll be much better for it than a bit part role for us.

Klopp mentioned in his post match interview that only Salah and Mane have pace in the forwards and I still think a third pacey forward would give us more options, whilst for all the promise of Keita and Shaqiri when used in attacking midfield, we can always do with a quality addition there.

Personally I'd like to see us sign Fekir (or similar) in January, loaning out Solanke and selling Origi to offset the new signing.

Then next summer bring back Oxlade, sign Pulisic, let Sturridge go and have his last big payday elsewhere and sell Lallana.

Then it's a case of replacing Clyne and Moreno, maybe with one established versatile full back and maybe promoting Camacho or Lewis.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
As someone mentioned Suarez not long ago (not that I think it would happen), he's got a knee problem for a while now (when you watch him it's easy to forget that he's got issues, as he can still look like a beast, but it seems like he isn't 100% anymore and perhaps won't last long at the highest level), he's trying to solve it by going through special treatment, but apparently he can't play much in one week and they will have to pick games more often from now on if it doesn't improve.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
As someone mentioned Suarez not long ago (not that I think it would happen), he's got a knee problem for a while now (when you watch him it's easy to forget that he's got issues, as he can still look like a beast, but it seems like he isn't 100% anymore and perhaps won't last long at the highest level), he's trying to solve it by going through special treatment, but apparently he can't play much in one week and they will have to pick games more often from now on if it doesn't improve.
I love Suarez, but his time here is over I wouldn't be re-visiting. He'd want astronomical wages as well.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Yes, I don't think it would happen, from multiple sides. Just throwing that info here for people who were talking about it not long ago.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
LB and RB cover to give some rest to Robo and TAA. We can't expect them to cover 50-60 matches over a season. And we can't expect them to play 20 games over Dec and Jan.

Richard88

LB and RB cover to give some rest to Robo and TAA. We can't expect them to cover 50-60 matches over a season. And we can't expect them to play 20 games over Dec and Jan.
I don't think we need another RB, as evidenced by the fact that Clyne hasn't featured at all this season. What's the point in replacing him with yet another player, when we seem to be coping absolutely fine with Trent and Gomez rotating? In a pinch we've also got Milner and Fabinho who can do a stellar job if needed, along with Camacho who fits the profile (i.e. being good on the ball) more than Clyne does.

I do agree about needing a LB though, assuming that Moreno will be allowed to leave on a free next summer. Given the frequent links to Chilwell and Sessegnon in recent windows it would seem that Edwards and Klopp have their sights set on having a young English (homegrown) LB rotating with Robertson, which would make perfect sense. Some have mentioned Lewis as a potential option, but I remain unconvinced.

GaryBarlow99

I don't think we need another RB, as evidenced by the fact that Clyne hasn't featured at all this season. What's the point in replacing him with yet another player, when we seem to be coping absolutely fine with Trent and Gomez rotating? In a pinch we've also got Milner and Fabinho who can do a stellar job if needed, along with Camacho who fits the profile (i.e. being good on the ball) more than Clyne does.

I do agree about needing a LB though, assuming that Moreno will be allowed to leave on a free next summer. Given the frequent links to Chilwell and Sessegnon in recent windows it would seem that Edwards and Klopp have their sights set on having a young English (homegrown) LB rotating with Robertson, which would make perfect sense. Some have mentioned Lewis as a potential option, but I remain unconvinced.
We were also linked with Llloyd Kelly at Bristol recently. Think a LB will definitely be brought in over the summer but not a RB.

MW2833

How about we get a LB who can also play RB (better than clyne)?
Genius i know

Richard88

Here's what I think is probably going to happen next summer:

- Promote Grabara/Kelleher, or sign an experienced backup, to replace Mignolet (ideally someone homegrown, like Heaton).
- Promote Camacho to replace Clyne, who's role in the squad is redundant at this stage (Clyne has only played one league cup game this season).
- Sign a young homegrown LB to replace Moreno when his contract expires.
- Make a decision on Lallana. His role in the squad will diminish a lot once Keita is settled and Ox is back, and though he would be excellent depth he may want to move on to play regularly. His role as depth midfielder could also perhaps be replaced by Curtis Jones. Up to him if he stays or leaves.
- Make a decision on Harry Wilson. Could be a good depth option but gametime will probably be limited.
- Sign a top CF to replace Sturridge (who's contract expires next summer). For example, Timo Werner has only 12 months on his contract next summer and would be an astute signing.
- Decide which one of Solanke, Origi, and Brewster should be kept around as depth CF. Perhaps something like Origi sold, Solanke loaned, and Brewster kept as depth.

That would leave the squad for 2019/20 as follows:

--------------------- Alisson
----------- Grabara/Kelleher/New GK

Trent -------- Gomez ------- Van Dijk ----- Robertson
Camacho --- Matip -------- Lovren ------- New LB

--------------------- Fabinho
------------------- Henderson

--------- Wijnaldum ------------- Keita
---------- Milner ------------------ Ox
---------- Lallana/Jones

Salah -------------- Firmino -------------- Mané
Shaqiri ------------ New ST -------------- Wilson
--------------------- Brewster ---------------------

In summary:

Outgoing: Mignolet, Clyne, Moreno, Sturridge, Origi, and possibly Lallana.
Loan: Solanke, Grujic, et al
Incoming: Experienced homegrown GK, young homegrown LB, and a Top class CF/attacker. (For example, Heaton + Sessegnon + Werner).

Richard88

Genius i know
The team loses a lot of dynamism in attack by having a wrong-footed fullback. Just look at how many goals arise from quick crosses by both Robertson and Trent, which just weren't there last season with Milner cutting back onto his right all the time.

The squad is pretty set at RB anyways, so best to just recruit a player who can do a job at LB first and foremost.

Btw, given how solid Robertson is defensively it would probably make sense to have an alternate LB who excels more in an attacking sense (though ideally with as little defensive downside as possible. I.e. Not someone as inbalanced as Moreno).

For example, Sessegnon seems like such an obvious transfer target, given the previous transfer links; his homegrown status; the fact that Fulham will probably get relegated; that his contract expires in 18 months; and that he can play both LB and LW in an attacking fashion.

Richard88

Another thing to bear in mind with regards to the RB spot is the development of Ki-Jana Hoever who was recently signed from Ajax. He's only 17 in January but is already impressing for the u23's.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mature-ki-jana-hoever-hailed-15532764
"'Mature' Ki-Jana Hoever hailed as Liverpool excitement grows over Dutch defender"

Obviously you don't want to pin the hopes of the first team on unproven youngsters, but with Camacho and Hoever there does seem to be pretty good long-term alternatives to solve the backup RB spot internally (not to mention the fact that the first team squad already has plenty of options between Trent, Gomez, Milner, Fabinho even after Clyne inevitably leaves).

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Just read Matip is out for 6 weeks. I wonder if a CB signing is necessary in January?
Matip and Gomez should be back in the middle of January. Unless we get a couple of more bad injuries in that time I wouldn't see why we would buy another CB.

Genius i know
Having reliable, versatile players makes it much easier to get through these tricky periods in the season where games come every 3 games. Despite not being right backs Gomez and Milner are better footballers than Clyne and I'd pick either of them ahead of him without a doubt (probably Fabinho too). If we could get a left footed player who could either play CB or in midfield, they could cover left back and still offer more than Moreno.

As for the names...I've talked about Ake before, but if we could convince Hector to leave Cologne then that would be an even better solution.

Last edited:

Richard88

Just read Matip is out for 6 weeks. I wonder if a CB signing is necessary in January?
That's unfortunate, but I don't think there's any reason to sign a CB.

There's enough gap between fixtures in the next month that Lovren and Van Dijk should be able to manage to play them all, barring any more unfortunate injuries.

Sun 16th | United (H)
Fri 21st | Wolves (a)
Wed 26th | Newcastle (H)
Sat 29th | Arsenal (H)
Thu 3rd | City (a)
Mon 7th | Wolves (a) (FA cup)
Sat 12th | Brighton (a)
Sat 19th | Palace (H)
Wed 30th | Leicester (H)

Even if Lovren or Van Dijk would pick up a knock as well, using Phillips or Fabinho at CB in one or two fixtures wouldn't be the end of the world either, unless perhaps if it's against City or Arsenal.

Whatever the case, it's certainly quite unnecessary to sign yet another CB just to cover one or two fixtures. The CB depth is fine at the moment, and it would be extremely unlucky to have 3 of them out at the same time, let alone 2.

Abdel

That's unfortunate, but I don't think there's any reason to sign a CB.

There's enough gap between fixtures in the next month that Lovren and Van Dijk should be able to manage to play them all, barring any more unfortunate injuries.

Sun 16th | United (H)
Fri 21st | Wolves (a)
Wed 26th | Newcastle (H)
Sat 29th | Arsenal (H)
Thu 3rd | City (a)
Mon 7th | Wolves (a) (FA cup)
Sat 12th | Brighton (a)
Sat 19th | Palace (H)
Wed 30th | Leicester (H)

Even if Lovren or Van Dijk would pick up a knock as well, using Phillips or Fabinho at CB in one or two fixtures wouldn't be the end of the world either, unless perhaps if it's against City or Arsenal.

Whatever the case, it's certainly quite unnecessary to sign yet another CB just to cover one or two fixtures. The CB depth is fine at the moment, and it would be extremely unlucky to have 3 of them out at the same time, let alone 2.
Philips is injured too

Richard88

Philips is injured too
*facepalm* lol

Pretty sure we'd be fine with Fabinho next to Van Dijk in most fixtures. It's not really an issue though so long as Lovren and Van Dijk stay fit.

It's actually likely that Lovren would have come in for Matip anyways once he was back (which he is now) so it's not really an issue unless there's yet another injury. Bad timing either way though, as I'm sure Klopp would have wanted to rotate considerably in the coming weeks to keep everyone fresh for the run-in.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
He got subbed off against Everton 3 weeks ago and hasn't played since. Not sure what's up with him.
Yeah, I had seen that but couldn't see any reference to any injury. Odd one. Probably should discuss this in his player thread. Oh wait... :tongue:

Would be good to know more if anyone has any info.

SirBillShankly

Proud to be HETRO.
Klavan, let's bring the King back as a stop gap.

We could also sign De Ligt.

Lets bring him in. Philips isn't good enough. 6 weeks is quite a few games and Dejan likes missing games. Don't fancy seeing Fabinho at CB.

Sweeting

He got subbed off against Everton 3 weeks ago and hasn't played since. Not sure what's up with him.
That game was his return from injury also, so he has likely aggrevated it.

Not that he should be considered for 1st team action anyway.