• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Richard88

I share the excitement about some of the prospects we have. The two young keepers, Camacho, Jones, Philips, Brewster, Solanke, Wilson all have talent, others too.

However, I don't see them en masse filling up the 20 senior outfield player positions I believe you need to compete on all fronts, certainly not in the short term.

One or two will come through very soon into that 20, the if you're good enough you're old enough thing (a la Fowler, Owen, Gerrard).

But most of them need to develop on loan elsewhere to ensure they're properly ready.

I actually think Clyne showed his old self yesterday, such that he could be a viable rotation option with TAA. In fact, despite being a little shorter than ideal, given his defensive qualities he could actually also cover centre back much better than putting a midfielder or kid there.

The issue is with players who aren't good enough to rotate and thus don't play at all. Clyne looked like he'd fallen way behind last season and against Chelsea in the League Cup this. If he can perform like yesterday, I think he's a viable option for tough European away games against tricky wingers. TAA got torn apart in Rome last season, the Clyne of yesterday would handle that better.

Based on recent performances, I think we're looking at upgrading Moreno to someone like Sessignon (who can cover the wing too), swapping Mignolet for a similar level back up, and further strengthening the attack and attacking midfield depth.

Basically, on top of letting Moreno and Mignolet go and replacing them, we're talking about letting Sturridge, Origi, Solanke (temporarily) and Lallana go, bringing Oxlade back into the mix, promoting a youngster (Wilson most likely) and signing one or two quality attacking midfielders/forwards.

That's your four signings next summer - keeper, Sessignon, Fekir and another forward.

Ideally one or two of them would be signed in January.
The challenge with replacing Mignolet and Moreno is that whoever comes in will know from the outset that they're most likely not going to be first option in that position, given that they've got two of the best in the world at the positions in Allison and Robertson.

As average as Mignolet can be, he's still good enough to be a starter for a mid-table PL club, and signing someone of that level to sit on the bench 24/7 is easier said than done. As such I think it's more realistic to expect someone a slight tier below Mignolet (perhaps someone like Alex McCarthy, Heaton, or Pope)... Basically just someone who can keep the seat warm until Grabara and/or Kelleher are ready, and ideally someone who fits the style of the team.

Regarding LB, I think the most reasonable way forward is to recruit someone in the age bracket below Robertson (24), who has the potential to grow into the role and challenge for that spot. Sessegnon is the obvious name to mention in that regard, but I'd think the scouts would have a good eye for other options too given their interest in Chilwell before he signed an extension with Leicester.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
I like Nathan Aké. Good on the ball, fast and versatile means he could also take the LB backup role - so he would get enough minutes. The 'problem' I would have is that he is not the tallest CB and he could struggle with the few big men that are left in the game.

As a LB is would say he could be as good as Joe Gomez as a RB.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Wasn't good in the last game against us, often too soft and far from his opponent, but I still like his potential (although at 23 he's not a young player anymore). Sometimes you have to separate liking a player from actually asking (or admitting) yourself if it's good enough for us. We'll see what happens there next summer with the likes of Matip and Lovren. Gomez's sudden rise at CB makes things interesting because not long ago it was a case of "can we find a better partner for Virgil while not spending a huge amount again".

Last edited:

Dave-D

I think we really should look very seriously at bringing in young Declan Rice. He can cover CDM and CB and is a very talented boy indeed. I would love to see what Klopp could do with him.
His contract only has 18 months to go and WHU are saying they’ll wait until the end of the season to open up talks again.
He’s already rejected 15k per week plus bonus as he wants 30k.
I’d be more than happy to see him playing for Liverpool

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I think the Fekir ship has sailed, but I liked the post for the Clyne comment. He looked very good against Man Utd, and I'd prefer him to be the back up for TAA rather than shifting Gomez out of the middle.

We were all thinking about right back permutations with TAA out and Gomez injured. Milner, Henderson and Fabinho were all mentioned somewhere or other. As it happens, a focused Clyne, like the one we saw yesterday, is plenty good enough. We also saw Fabinho put in his best display for us so far, so I'm glad we didn't shunt him to right back.
Clyne looked very trim, lost a few pounds, and was certainly more up-tempo than I remember him, but he's still ponderous going forwards and I don't know if he'll ever see that quicker ball. All that is in the head really. He does suffice for now as cover and I'd be very surprised if he was shipped out in January as it seemed earlier in the season.

Richard88

Don't think Ake is anywhere near good enough for where we are at these days. Still hoping we bring in De Ligt, think he would be a terrific signing.
Agree with this. Aké isn't good enough for what Klopp wants in a CB now (i.e. tall, aerially dominant, good passer, etc). Nor does he fit the profile of fullback Klopp typically likes to play with (fast, agile, strong engine, good attacking with linkup play and crossing, etc).

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Ake is a player with physical and technical quality that would interest a lot of top clubs, think Klopp would get a lot out of him. Quite versatile too.

Would make a lot of sense for us at a reasonable price point as a rotation based player.

Elessar

It is a big problem if you have to many top class players. Klopp is doing his best to keep them happy by rotating the team a lot. If you have say 20 top class players then a few of them won't play that many games. All it takes then is that we drop out of the title race and they will start moaning. You need to have the right balance in the squad.

Not even Pep or Klopp would be able to keep top class players that isn't playing much happy if the club isn't challenging for the title.

I think that we have enough top class players and if we sign one then we must sell one. Our top class players isn't that old so we don't need to sell because of that. Milner being the only one of our top class players that is 30+ years old.

We need to give our young talents a chance in the squad instead of only buying top class players. How many top class players is prepared to be number 18-25 in the squad?

Richard88

It is a big problem if you have to many top class players. Klopp is doing his best to keep them happy by rotating the team a lot. If you have say 20 top class players then a few of them won't play that many games. All it takes then is that we drop out of the title race and they will start moaning. You need to have the right balance in the squad.

Not even Pep or Klopp would be able to keep top class players that isn't playing much happy if the club isn't challenging for the title.

I think that we have enough top class players and if we sign one then we must sell one. Our top class players isn't that old so we don't need to sell because of that. Milner being the only one of our top class players that is 30+ years old.

We need to give our young talents a chance in the squad instead of only buying top class players. How many top class players is prepared to be number 18-25 in the squad?
That's a GREAT problem to have!! :D

Klopp is an excellent man-manager. Just listen to Shaqiri's post-match interview with Carragher; he's not starting every week but he's happy with his role. Look at how Matip came in after months on the bench, and did a tremendous job in 3 important games. Or Clyne coming back after being seemingly ostracised. Klopp has managed the squad perfectly so far, and there's no indication that we'll drop out of the title race either.

Claymenza

That's a GREAT problem to have!! :D

Klopp is an excellent man-manager. Just listen to Shaqiri's post-match interview with Carragher; he's not starting every week but he's happy with his role. Look at how Matip came in after months on the bench, and did a tremendous job in 3 important games. Or Clyne coming back after being seemingly ostracised. Klopp has managed the squad perfectly so far, and there's no indication that we'll drop out of the title race either.
It seems shaqiri just fits what we're trying to do. He has the intelligence to look at what's happening in the game, identify a gap and fill that in when he comes on. He placed himself well on the flank and in the hole a few times even coming late inside the box.

Sturridge also brings that calibur off the bench. That goal vs chelsea is what we will see more of him in the coming months.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Ake is a player with physical and technical quality that would interest a lot of top clubs, think Klopp would get a lot out of him. Quite versatile too.

Would make a lot of sense for us at a reasonable price point as a rotation based player.
Do Chelsea have a first refusal clause over him ?

big noyd

with fulham nailed on to go back down, sessegnon probably goes this summer. makes a lot of sense as a robertson carlos backup who can play in midfield or the front 3 as well

malang sarr from ogc nice as an ake alternative (3rd CB who could play on the left of a back 3 opposite gomez or fabinho if we change shape when resting robbo), werner

aouar if ox doesn't seem well on his way back when preseason starts

Last edited:

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
They do according to The Telegraph, £40 million ish figure to buy him back. A bit too much that, wouldn't be worth it for us.
Dare say that he'll be worth it even at 30-40ish considering the prices for a decent cb. But a buy back clause and we can forget it

RedForever2014

I've never known a support base like ours, which worries so much about having too many top class players.

For years we've not had enough, we probably don't still have quite enough to challenge on all fronts, yet on this site and others one constantly reads our supporters going on about this.

The exact depth you need is debatable, but what is clear is that you need a deep squad with players who can be rotated to cover injuries, fatigue and because competition for places definitely ups the level of everyone, including your so called best 11.

The season is long, the matches are many, there is rarely a week without a midweek game. If you had more top class players you'd rotate more, only players who aren't good enough to play regularly won't play regularly.

Of our 7 midfielders (including Shaqiri and Lallana), only Lallana isn't playing much and that's because he's not good enough in comparison to the others.

Our centre backs have all seen game time because three of them have had injury problems.

Robertson ideally would be rested more than he is, if his deputy was a bit better.

TAA has been sloppy this season because he's had no real competition for his place. After Clyne's performance on Sunday, watch TAA look like he's a rocket in his ass when he comes back, if he gets back in.

The only department without decent similar level and similar style cover is the front three. Our ambitions are very at risk because Origi, Solanke and arguably Sturridge can't be used more. We dropped points during the spring because of it.

As I've outlined in various examples above, competition for places (TAA), cover for injuries (central defence), rotation to avoid fatigue (midfield) and the lack of rotation if you don't (forwards) all point to needing more quality not less.

Basically we need to add some more quality to the forward squad and if we did we'd be looking at competing on four fronts every season, and that would keep most players happy.

GaryBarlow99

Agreed mate. City have so much forward depth and you didn't hear their fans moaning about having too many attackers when they went and bought Mahrez in the summer.

Limiescouse

I've never known a support base like ours, which worries so much about having too many top class players.

For years we've not had enough, we probably don't still have quite enough to challenge on all fronts, yet on this site and others one constantly reads our supporters going on about this.

The exact depth you need is debatable, but what is clear is that you need a deep squad with players who can be rotated to cover injuries, fatigue and because competition for places definitely ups the level of everyone, including your so called best 11.
I know. Imagine a situation in which we lost two first choice defenders, and then lost the next in line back up who recently stepped in to fill that void and played well. Imagine being in that situation and then having a wounded Utd coming to visit and having to find enough players to cope. Imagine on top that our metronome and most experienced player was out as well. Plus Ox. Wouldn't it be great to have a squad big and good enough to deal with all that?

RedForever2014

I know. Imagine a situation in which we lost two first choice defenders, and then lost the next in line back up who recently stepped in to fill that void and played well. Imagine being in that situation and then having a wounded Utd coming to visit and having to find enough players to cope. Imagine on top that our metronome and most experienced player was out as well. Plus Ox. Wouldn't it be great to have a squad big and good enough to deal with all that?
And if half our first choice forwards were missing?

Think you’ll find that was the department I cited.

Sarcasm and ignoring the broader points, because all you’re interested in doing is making a point.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We've got fantastic like for like, quality, cover throughout defence and midfield. Can't we have the same in attack and backing up Alisson?

Red over the water

I think it's a fair comment to say that we are a bit short up front. I'd like to see another of the level of Salah or Mane - a fast player, who can be versatile across the front three, and weigh in with goals.

Shaqiri adds great depth and he is doing well, with two goals against Man Utd and more to come.
Sturridge came in and did well e.g. great goal against Chelsea.
Origi came in and made his mark against Everton.
Solanke hasn't got a look in this season, and will probably go out on loan.
Brewster hasn't even got started with his first team career but he is supposed to be highly rated.

All this is to say we do have options, and pretty good options too! But I'd like to see another, of top quality, hopefully in the same sort of ballpark as Salah or Mane. If recruiting such a player means that some on the back up list are moved on, so be it, but that's the sort of step I think the front third of the pitch needs to take next.

Last edited:

MW2833

I think it's a fair comment to say that we are a bit short up front. I'd like to see another of the level of Salah or Mane - a fast player, who can be versatile across the front three, and weighs in with goals.

Shaqiri adds great depth and he is doing well, with two goals against Man Utd and more to come.
Sturridge came in and did well e.g. great goal against Chelsea.
Origi came in and made his mark against Everton.
Solanke hasn't got a look in this season, and will probably go out on loan.
Brewster hasn't even got started with his first team career but he is supposed to be highly rated.

All this is to say we do have options, and pretty good options too! But I'd like to see another, of top quality, hopefully in the same sort of ballpark as Salah or Mane. If recruiting such a player means that some on the back up list are moved on, so be it, but that's the sort of step I think the front third of the pitch needs to take next.
Sturridge, Solanke, Origi and Brewster do not provide us enough cover for the wings.
Solanke should be sent on loan, Origi is not good enough (he was lucky against Everton and missed an open goal from 2 yards out) and Brewster at present is injured and would do far better as a striker.

Sturridge, I guess could play on the left, but his future is uncertain and he is very inconsistent.
Keita plays on the left, but his role should be in the midfield.
Shaqiri is better on the right.

Wilson could do a job on the left wing but is unproven in the PL.

In the next transfer window, we need a player who can play LW, CAM, false 9 and is able to take corners. Fekir ticked all the boxes, but now we need to look for someone else, as I doubt that transfer will be resurrected.

LFCFFC

You know who would be perfect wing/CF cover? Memphis Depay.

I wonder how much he really loves United...