Who would you buy?

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I may be a bit biased having recently watched the Sunderland documentary on Netflix, and I'm talking about the reserves here (at least initially), but wonder if this lad could be a good shout for just £1.5m next month:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-offer-teen-hotshot-josh-13773533

Just 19 and has been banging them in for fun in League One, I actually thought he'd be a proper gem for Sunderland and lead them up the divisions, but seems they've screwed this up as well and he's going to leave soon for peanuts. His conversion rate (41%) is the best in the league.

Man City and Spurs apparently among those interested, reckon he could be a risk-free punt, though obviously I'm not thinking in terms of the senior side as yet.

waynejones31

TIA Youth Team
It would be good business to get

Declan Rice
Ryan Sessegnon
Aaron Ramsay

Would cover off most of our areas that require something different . Ryan could cover both left back and left wing , Rice will be an excellent defensive mid whilst also another option at Center half . But Ramsay for me would be a great signing and with his friendship with the Ox I can see this happening . If all these three could happen in Jan we wouldn’t fall short in the run in and next summer just focus on another striker

Sweeting

I think our transfer policy has been clear - we sign the best of the best from the realistically available players. That pool is shrinking because we have signed most of them already!

I haven't seen most of these play very much but I imagine the top tier "realistic" players are...

Christian Pulisic
Kai Havertz
Nabil Fekir
Timo Werner
Milan Skriniar
Matthias De Light
Adrien Rabiot
Memphis Depay
Suso
Tanguy Ndombele
Sergei Milinkovic-Savic
Houssem Aouar
Mikel Oyarzabel
Nicholas Pepe
Hirving Lozano
Frenkie De Jong
Luka Jovic
Ruben Neves
Jose Gaya
Julian Brandt
Pablo Sarabia
Aaron Ramsey
Alassane Plea
Thorgan Hazard
Nikola Milenkovic

Above guys are all "in profile", realistic to sign and in the transfermarkt Top 150 most valuable players.

I think our next signing will be off this list and in the summer not the January window.

Last edited:

Claymenza

so even with our injuries at the back nobody would take pepe on a free, right? right
I'd much rather promote a youth player.

This is the deepest squad we've had in decades. Ox is coming back from injury so that's also a great sign.

red arizona scott

It would be good business to get

Declan Rice
Ryan Sessegnon
Aaron Ramsay

Would cover off most of our areas that require something different . Ryan could cover both left back and left wing , Rice will be an excellent defensive mid whilst also another option at Center half . But Ramsay for me would be a great signing and with his friendship with the Ox I can see this happening . If all these three could happen in Jan we wouldn’t fall short in the run in and next summer just focus on another striker
Sessengnon and Rice, sure, they are young. Ramsey is 28, isn't better than Gini/Kieta/Shaq for this club I don't think, maybe not better than Milner or in rotation if Ox returns OK. Expensive (high wages/sign on bonus) for not a clear benefit and a player on the tail end of his career and not the ethic/fitness/reliability of Milner. Doesn't seem like a Liverpool move to me.

In truth I see no moves that will impact this years trophy run. This is the 17-18 squad we got, and I like it. Always looking to squirrel away low cost high upside prospects or great values like Shaqiri--but I think that is what we look to.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
When Virgil's move fell through, in thoroughly bizarre fashion that would have justified an intemperate response, he went straight back to work, kept his head down and continued to put in top notch performances for a side he felt owed him a move. It's also worth remembering that Virgil was injured when we tried to sign him that summer and so wouldn't have been training with the squad at that time anyway
A lot of this is due to the clubs internal pr coming in. Loads of clubs don't want to admit that they've sold their asset for $$$ especially to their fans. They'd rather admit that the player wanted out and try to make the player look bad in comparison too. I'm sure we've been guilty of the same in the past too

Red over the water

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46693595

Anyone want a Spurs CB for 25 mil over the summer? Alderweireld or Vertonghen, take your pick, if I read that article correctly. If Matip moves on, we will need another CB for cover/competition.
If Matip or Lovren do move on (I’m not aware of any substance to that, just that they are both good defenders for 3/4 choice and so we deduce they may want to move on to play more).

Anyway, either of the Spurs pair would be a good replacement at £25M. However, I suspect they would want guarantees about playing time, and we might not be willing to offer that.

Another possibility is that one or both follow Pochettino to Man Utd in the summer to give him the defensive platform to drag them higher in his first season. He knows their game, they know what he wants, and it could give him a fast start there.

Sweeting

Anyone want a Spurs CB for 25 mil over the summer? Alderweireld or Vertonghen, take your pick, if I read that article correctly. If Matip moves on, we will need another CB for cover/competition.
Vertonghen plays in Van Dijk's position and is prone to games where he gets shook easily. He can't lead a defence in the event of an injury to Van Dijk so I would stay away.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team

I don't think there is a buyout clause on Vertonghen... only Alderweireld's contract but both were extended.

And Alderweireld was looking for 180K a week? I think we should give this one a big pass.

Like the player, just too much for a 3rd choice CB.

RedForever2014

Main thing for me this January is not to weaken the squad. In fact, we should be looking to build further from a position of strength and cement our position.

The reason we are where we are is because we have a quality best 11, rotatable options in the demanding midfield area and players who can cover defence to a good level when first choice players are out.

Really we should be looking to add to the forward options. But, in the position we're in, with a third competition kicking in, we shouldn't be clearing out players like Moreno, Clyne, Origi, Solanke without replacing them, and taking the squad down to 18 or 19 outfield players,

Moreno might have issues, but he offers way more than a right footed player covering Robertson, or an unproven academy player.

We need to keep the senior defence squad at 8, midfield at 7, and if we lose a forward or too we need to sign someone.

Harry Wilson would be more ready for next season if he stays at Derby until May, but if we won't sign anyone we should recall him if we lose Origi and Solanke.

Personally I'd happily see us lose Origi and Solanke if we sign a Fekir type, taking the senior outfield squad to 20, and continuing the process of removing weaker squad players and buying at the top of the squad.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I think our transfer policy has been clear - we sign the best of the best from the realistically available players. That pool is shrinking because we have signed most of them already!

I haven't seen most of these play very much but I imagine the top tier "realistic" players are...

Suso
Suso????? :think:

Joe Gomez x

I think we need to improve on proper cover for left back now Moreno is leaving (most likely) on loan or hopefully permanent. My candidate is Ridgeciano Haps. Haps started his career with AZ Alkmaar having progressed through their youth system. He made his first-team debut in 2013 and played 77 games for them before making a £5.75 million move to Feyenoord in 2017. He is an all round left full with pace, defensive ability and is quite comfortable in possession. I reckon Jurgen could pick him up for around 10 million.
I really feel that we need an attacking midfielder along with Shaqiri and my preferred option is Kai Havertz. Havertz made his professional debut for Bayer Leverkusen in October 2016 and is already closing in on 100 appearances for the team. He also made his senior international debut for Germany in September 2018. He is one for the future at only 19 and offers a talented ball player who can pick out a killer ball. Unfortunately Bayern highly rate him so it will be expensive to move him but it could be worth it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think we need to improve on proper cover for left back now Moreno is leaving (most likely) on loan or hopefully permanent. My candidate is Ridgeciano Haps. Haps started his career with AZ Alkmaar having progressed through their youth system. He made his first-team debut in 2013 and played 77 games for them before making a £5.75 million move to Feyenoord in 2017. He is an all round left full with pace, defensive ability and is quite comfortable in possession. I reckon Jurgen could pick him up for around 10 million.
I really feel that we need an attacking midfielder along with Shaqiri and my preferred option is Kai Havertz. Havertz made his professional debut for Bayer Leverkusen in October 2016 and is already closing in on 100 appearances for the team. He also made his senior international debut for Germany in September 2018. He is one for the future at only 19 and offers a talented ball player who can pick out a killer ball. Unfortunately Bayern highly rate him so it will be expensive to move him but it could be worth it.
If we went for a Dutch left back wouldn't Jetro Willems be a better option? Vaguely remember a positive reaction from him when we were linked to him in the past too. Kai Havertz seems to be an option for central/attacking midfield? Might be wrong. Just think we need someone who can play on the attack on the left side. Hopefully they can also play at least a couple of; CF, RF and CAM. But ideally anyone we look to bring in from an attacking sense I think LF is where we most need to strengthen.

Joe Gomez x

If we went for a Dutch left back wouldn't Jetro Willems be a better option? Vaguely remember a positive reaction from him when we were linked to him in the past too. Kai Havertz seems to be an option for central/attacking midfield? Might be wrong. Just think we need someone who can play on the attack on the left side. Hopefully they can also play at least a couple of; CF, RF and CAM. But ideally anyone we look to bring in from an attacking sense I think LF is where we most need to strengthen.
Yeah I remember us being heavily linked with Williams. Unfortunately now he has quite fallen off his previous hype ,now playing for Eintracht Frankfurt. He does suffer from a few injuries and could be quite prone to injury. Watched 2 or 3 games of him coincidentally and thought nothing much of him really ,looked okay but nowhere near the quality to play even as backup to Robbo (even Moreno would dominate that German division XD ).
Watched Kai recently and he does play every attacking position (excluding striker). He is quick enough and skilful enough to play the wings and can easily slot into a Shaqiri role. Only 19 aswell so one for the future and watching him ,once he improves with age ,he will be a starter for the national side. Agree that maybe we should look for an out and out left winger though.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The more i see him play the more i like the look of Felipe Anderson at West Ham,

he can play the left side of midfield and AMC,he's a play maker with a decent pass on him.

He's acclimatised to the english game well,he's fast and knows where the back of the net is.

Only issue would be the price,with the hammers paying around £35mill for him,it would take a big bid to get him.

With Coutinho not really being replaced and the likes of Lallana looking likely to be out the door during the summer,i see this guy as a decent replacement.

GaryBarlow99

The more i see him play the more i like the look of Felipe Anderson at West Ham,

he can play the left side of midfield and AMC,he's a play maker with a decent pass on him.

He's acclimatised to the english game well,he's fast and knows where the back of the net is.

Only issue would be the price,with the hammers paying around £35mill for him,it would take a big bid to get him.

With Coutinho not really being replaced and the likes of Lallana looking likely to be out the door during the summer,i see this guy as a decent replacement.
He is brilliant and the player I wanted us to look at when the Fekir deal went tits up. He'd cost a bit as West Ham paid £36m for him but I would love us to go for him in the summer. Would round out our attack beautifully.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member

There's a touch of hazard about him, he really looks the real deal.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
He is brilliant and the player I wanted us to look at when the Fekir deal went tits up. He'd cost a bit as West Ham paid £36m for him but I would love us to go for him in the summer. Would round out our attack beautifully.
Has Felipe Anderson been consistently good this year? That has always been his problem in the past.

I couldn't believe what a bargain West Ham got when other players were going for so much more. Thought he was a great, cheap gamble with so much upside potential... and would have been a specially good move for us when we have such a great coach in Klopp who I believed would have a decent shot at helping him build those missing elements.

Consistency has always been his biggest problem... looking like a top superstar for 6 to 8 games but then disappearing for the next month. And that had me thinking that if his upturn in form (he is pretty unstoppable when playing well) coincided with a time where Mane, Firmino or Salah were struggling... I thought we would have a slim, lucky outside chance of challenging for the title.

Certainly my expectations in the summer didn't have us performing so well and sitting in 1st place :).

Would he be someone I would target now? I don't know. Admittedly stopped following him when he got to the PL.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll need to watch a few more of his matches. Always enjoy watching skillful players regardless of team (although I'll always be cheering for Liverpool).

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Has Felipe Anderson been consistently good this year? That has always been his problem in the past.

I couldn't believe what a bargain West Ham got when other players were going for so much more. Thought he was a great, cheap gamble with so much upside potential... and would have been a specially good move for us when we have such a great coach in Klopp who I believed would have a decent shot at helping him build those missing elements.

Consistency has always been his biggest problem... looking like a top superstar for 6 to 8 games but then disappearing for the next month. And that had me thinking that if his upturn in form (he is pretty unstoppable when playing well) coincided with a time where Mane, Firmino or Salah were struggling... I thought we would have a slim, lucky outside chance of challenging for the title.

Certainly my expectations in the summer didn't have us performing so well and sitting in 1st place :).

Would he be someone I would target now? I don't know. Admittedly stopped following him when he got to the PL.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll need to watch a few more of his matches. Always enjoy watching skillful players regardless of team (although I'll always be cheering for Liverpool).

I can't say i've seen a huge amount of West Ham games,but when i have he seems to be the stand out player in that team,where all the good play comes from.

When he's on the ball,his passing,dribbling,crossing and goals are class,he seems to have a good engine on him aswell,

not shy in coming back helping out,intercepting and tackling,plus great on the counter attack.

What his overall stats will be over the course of the season,i guess will tell if he's over come his consistency issues you have,

but atm 19 games,8 goals 2 assists at the halfway mark,looks pretty impressive for an attacking midfielder,

you'd hope in our squad,with slightly better players around him and Klopp working his magic,those numbers would improve.

They say brining in players could have a bad effect on the team moral,but i think when buying players nowadays,

Klopp and his scouting team look into every aspect of a player,especially personalities,if he thought the guy had a chip on his shoulder and bad attitude,i don't see them going for him,but if a player arrives,i think he'll fit straight into the squad.Would i buy Anderson now? i would (if he has the right attitude),for me,he'd be a great squad player for the second half of the season.

As they say,you always strengthen from a position of power and never let the grass grow under your feet in this game.

Last edited:

GaryBarlow99

Anderson struggled a bit at the beginning of the season but has become more influential for West Ham and his stats back that up.

Limiescouse

RE: Anderson. First game of the season I commented in the match thread on how hard he seemed to be working defensively, which isnt something you associate with a brazilian forward who has just made a move to a team lower down the ladder than he had spent the last 3 years being linked to. If it's taken him a while to get up to speed on the other side of the ball, I like the idea of simply working hard until it starts going your way.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
RE: Anderson. First game of the season I commented in the match thread on how hard he seemed to be working defensively, which isnt something you associate with a brazilian forward who has just made a move to a team lower down the ladder than he had spent the last 3 years being linked to. If it's taken him a while to get up to speed on the other side of the ball, I like the idea of simply working hard until it starts going your way.
This was very noticeable live, he was constantly tracking back to help the fullback out. His performance reminded me of Mane.

He's an impressive footballer, certainly better than West Ham.