• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
De Ligt will probably cost a Van Dijk like fee and we already have a player that fits the same profile. Sancho has scored 6 career goals and would probably be our record signing.

Better bang for our buck elsewhere.
I know we disagree on Sancho fair enough I respect your opinion and value wise yes you are probably right but..

In their last 6 league games, BVB have scored 9 goals from open play - Sancho involved in *every* one of them - 2 goals, 3 assists, 4 times the pass before the assist [after usually dribbling round ~3 players]. (Take from twitter).

I’ll try and find the video of it but last night he basically dribbled around half their team for about a minute.
He is going to be a world class talent, I’d have him ahead of Dembele or Fekir etc.

Edit - Found it

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
I know we disagree on Sancho fair enough I respect your opinion and value wise yes you are probably right
Doesn't sound like we disagree then. Sancho is a great talent, I've never said any different. That's been known for 3 years or so.

Still don't think we should make him our record signing.

Claymenza

With sturridge and shaq on the bench, and abundance of midfield options, would sancho even make the team? Do you bench salah, firmino or mane who are all on form at the moment?

Let sancho grow at borussia. I think it's brilliant that young english talent are considered skillful across the borders. Southgate is on cloud 9.

big noyd

so even with our injuries at the back nobody would take pepe on a free, right? right

Danny Sarge

Wouldn’t be surprised if Clyne leaves along with one of Lovren or Matip and a 2/3 choice CB comes in so Gomez can also play RB and the new Defend slots in at CB along side VVD. Reason being Klopp likes Gomez at RB and Lovren and Matip seem to constantly pick up injuries.
If we offload Clyne then Wan Bissaka should come in as hes arguably the best RB in the league along with Trent, I also believe he's a bit more versatile and could fill in at CB.

Although I'm not in a rush to offload Clyne anytime soon as I still think he's as good as a back up option as your likely to get at full back.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Would like to see us in for Sander Berge for midfield.

He might need to be loaned out for a bit more experience but would like to see him eventually partner Fabinho. I think they would dominate the midfield almost every game forcing play to the wings. Massive player (size and strength-wise... 193 cm) with decent speed, good mobility, dribbling, ball winning skills and a good long pass.

30m doesn't go very far these days but will most likely be enough in this case as his experience in top leagues is still limited.

--------------------
A part of me also dreams about having Koulibaly partner VVD or Gomez in our back 4. But that is wasteful.

GTA_G20

FirminoFan
Agreed Wan Bissaka has been doing bits since last season. I actually think he’s slightly better than Trent.

If we offload Clyne then Wan Bissaka should come in as hes arguably the best RB in the league along with Trent, I also believe he's a bit more versatile and could fill in at CB.

Although I'm not in a rush to offload Clyne anytime soon as I still think he's as good as a back up option as your likely to get at full back.

Jamie91

I think signing both Wilfred Zaha and Lorenzo Insigne would be perfect business for us.Both could cover the front 3 positons and Insigne can play the number 10 role.They would cover all of the forward roles we need and also add pace.

In the summer I’d then look at finding a left back and a goalkeeper , Heaton and Bertrand would be my choices.

Allison/Heaton

TAA/ Clyne
Gomez/ Matip
VVD/ Lovren
Robbo/Bertrand

Fabinho/Hendo
Wijnaldum/ Milner
Keita/ Ox

Salah/ Shaq
Firmino/Insigne
Mane/ Zaha

Dave-D

I’d have Wan Bissaka and that would be the RB situation sorted for a long time.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
I may be a bit biased having recently watched the Sunderland documentary on Netflix, and I'm talking about the reserves here (at least initially), but wonder if this lad could be a good shout for just £1.5m next month:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-offer-teen-hotshot-josh-13773533

Just 19 and has been banging them in for fun in League One, I actually thought he'd be a proper gem for Sunderland and lead them up the divisions, but seems they've screwed this up as well and he's going to leave soon for peanuts. His conversion rate (41%) is the best in the league.

Man City and Spurs apparently among those interested, reckon he could be a risk-free punt, though obviously I'm not thinking in terms of the senior side as yet.

waynejones31

TIA Youth Team
It would be good business to get

Declan Rice
Ryan Sessegnon
Aaron Ramsay

Would cover off most of our areas that require something different . Ryan could cover both left back and left wing , Rice will be an excellent defensive mid whilst also another option at Center half . But Ramsay for me would be a great signing and with his friendship with the Ox I can see this happening . If all these three could happen in Jan we wouldn’t fall short in the run in and next summer just focus on another striker

Sweeting

I think our transfer policy has been clear - we sign the best of the best from the realistically available players. That pool is shrinking because we have signed most of them already!

I haven't seen most of these play very much but I imagine the top tier "realistic" players are...

Christian Pulisic
Kai Havertz
Nabil Fekir
Timo Werner
Milan Skriniar
Matthias De Light
Adrien Rabiot
Memphis Depay
Suso
Tanguy Ndombele
Sergei Milinkovic-Savic
Houssem Aouar
Mikel Oyarzabel
Nicholas Pepe
Hirving Lozano
Frenkie De Jong
Luka Jovic
Ruben Neves
Jose Gaya
Julian Brandt
Pablo Sarabia
Aaron Ramsey
Alassane Plea
Thorgan Hazard
Nikola Milenkovic

Above guys are all "in profile", realistic to sign and in the transfermarkt Top 150 most valuable players.

I think our next signing will be off this list and in the summer not the January window.

Last edited:

Claymenza

so even with our injuries at the back nobody would take pepe on a free, right? right
I'd much rather promote a youth player.

This is the deepest squad we've had in decades. Ox is coming back from injury so that's also a great sign.

red arizona scott

It would be good business to get

Declan Rice
Ryan Sessegnon
Aaron Ramsay

Would cover off most of our areas that require something different . Ryan could cover both left back and left wing , Rice will be an excellent defensive mid whilst also another option at Center half . But Ramsay for me would be a great signing and with his friendship with the Ox I can see this happening . If all these three could happen in Jan we wouldn’t fall short in the run in and next summer just focus on another striker
Sessengnon and Rice, sure, they are young. Ramsey is 28, isn't better than Gini/Kieta/Shaq for this club I don't think, maybe not better than Milner or in rotation if Ox returns OK. Expensive (high wages/sign on bonus) for not a clear benefit and a player on the tail end of his career and not the ethic/fitness/reliability of Milner. Doesn't seem like a Liverpool move to me.

In truth I see no moves that will impact this years trophy run. This is the 17-18 squad we got, and I like it. Always looking to squirrel away low cost high upside prospects or great values like Shaqiri--but I think that is what we look to.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
When Virgil's move fell through, in thoroughly bizarre fashion that would have justified an intemperate response, he went straight back to work, kept his head down and continued to put in top notch performances for a side he felt owed him a move. It's also worth remembering that Virgil was injured when we tried to sign him that summer and so wouldn't have been training with the squad at that time anyway
A lot of this is due to the clubs internal pr coming in. Loads of clubs don't want to admit that they've sold their asset for $$$ especially to their fans. They'd rather admit that the player wanted out and try to make the player look bad in comparison too. I'm sure we've been guilty of the same in the past too

Red over the water

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46693595

Anyone want a Spurs CB for 25 mil over the summer? Alderweireld or Vertonghen, take your pick, if I read that article correctly. If Matip moves on, we will need another CB for cover/competition.
If Matip or Lovren do move on (I’m not aware of any substance to that, just that they are both good defenders for 3/4 choice and so we deduce they may want to move on to play more).

Anyway, either of the Spurs pair would be a good replacement at £25M. However, I suspect they would want guarantees about playing time, and we might not be willing to offer that.

Another possibility is that one or both follow Pochettino to Man Utd in the summer to give him the defensive platform to drag them higher in his first season. He knows their game, they know what he wants, and it could give him a fast start there.

Sweeting

Anyone want a Spurs CB for 25 mil over the summer? Alderweireld or Vertonghen, take your pick, if I read that article correctly. If Matip moves on, we will need another CB for cover/competition.
Vertonghen plays in Van Dijk's position and is prone to games where he gets shook easily. He can't lead a defence in the event of an injury to Van Dijk so I would stay away.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team

I don't think there is a buyout clause on Vertonghen... only Alderweireld's contract but both were extended.

And Alderweireld was looking for 180K a week? I think we should give this one a big pass.

Like the player, just too much for a 3rd choice CB.

RedForever2014

Main thing for me this January is not to weaken the squad. In fact, we should be looking to build further from a position of strength and cement our position.

The reason we are where we are is because we have a quality best 11, rotatable options in the demanding midfield area and players who can cover defence to a good level when first choice players are out.

Really we should be looking to add to the forward options. But, in the position we're in, with a third competition kicking in, we shouldn't be clearing out players like Moreno, Clyne, Origi, Solanke without replacing them, and taking the squad down to 18 or 19 outfield players,

Moreno might have issues, but he offers way more than a right footed player covering Robertson, or an unproven academy player.

We need to keep the senior defence squad at 8, midfield at 7, and if we lose a forward or too we need to sign someone.

Harry Wilson would be more ready for next season if he stays at Derby until May, but if we won't sign anyone we should recall him if we lose Origi and Solanke.

Personally I'd happily see us lose Origi and Solanke if we sign a Fekir type, taking the senior outfield squad to 20, and continuing the process of removing weaker squad players and buying at the top of the squad.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I think our transfer policy has been clear - we sign the best of the best from the realistically available players. That pool is shrinking because we have signed most of them already!

I haven't seen most of these play very much but I imagine the top tier "realistic" players are...

Suso
Suso????? :think: