• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Joe Gomez x

I think we need to improve on proper cover for left back now Moreno is leaving (most likely) on loan or hopefully permanent. My candidate is Ridgeciano Haps. Haps started his career with AZ Alkmaar having progressed through their youth system. He made his first-team debut in 2013 and played 77 games for them before making a £5.75 million move to Feyenoord in 2017. He is an all round left full with pace, defensive ability and is quite comfortable in possession. I reckon Jurgen could pick him up for around 10 million.
I really feel that we need an attacking midfielder along with Shaqiri and my preferred option is Kai Havertz. Havertz made his professional debut for Bayer Leverkusen in October 2016 and is already closing in on 100 appearances for the team. He also made his senior international debut for Germany in September 2018. He is one for the future at only 19 and offers a talented ball player who can pick out a killer ball. Unfortunately Bayern highly rate him so it will be expensive to move him but it could be worth it.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think we need to improve on proper cover for left back now Moreno is leaving (most likely) on loan or hopefully permanent. My candidate is Ridgeciano Haps. Haps started his career with AZ Alkmaar having progressed through their youth system. He made his first-team debut in 2013 and played 77 games for them before making a £5.75 million move to Feyenoord in 2017. He is an all round left full with pace, defensive ability and is quite comfortable in possession. I reckon Jurgen could pick him up for around 10 million.
I really feel that we need an attacking midfielder along with Shaqiri and my preferred option is Kai Havertz. Havertz made his professional debut for Bayer Leverkusen in October 2016 and is already closing in on 100 appearances for the team. He also made his senior international debut for Germany in September 2018. He is one for the future at only 19 and offers a talented ball player who can pick out a killer ball. Unfortunately Bayern highly rate him so it will be expensive to move him but it could be worth it.
If we went for a Dutch left back wouldn't Jetro Willems be a better option? Vaguely remember a positive reaction from him when we were linked to him in the past too. Kai Havertz seems to be an option for central/attacking midfield? Might be wrong. Just think we need someone who can play on the attack on the left side. Hopefully they can also play at least a couple of; CF, RF and CAM. But ideally anyone we look to bring in from an attacking sense I think LF is where we most need to strengthen.

Joe Gomez x

If we went for a Dutch left back wouldn't Jetro Willems be a better option? Vaguely remember a positive reaction from him when we were linked to him in the past too. Kai Havertz seems to be an option for central/attacking midfield? Might be wrong. Just think we need someone who can play on the attack on the left side. Hopefully they can also play at least a couple of; CF, RF and CAM. But ideally anyone we look to bring in from an attacking sense I think LF is where we most need to strengthen.
Yeah I remember us being heavily linked with Williams. Unfortunately now he has quite fallen off his previous hype ,now playing for Eintracht Frankfurt. He does suffer from a few injuries and could be quite prone to injury. Watched 2 or 3 games of him coincidentally and thought nothing much of him really ,looked okay but nowhere near the quality to play even as backup to Robbo (even Moreno would dominate that German division XD ).
Watched Kai recently and he does play every attacking position (excluding striker). He is quick enough and skilful enough to play the wings and can easily slot into a Shaqiri role. Only 19 aswell so one for the future and watching him ,once he improves with age ,he will be a starter for the national side. Agree that maybe we should look for an out and out left winger though.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
The more i see him play the more i like the look of Felipe Anderson at West Ham,

he can play the left side of midfield and AMC,he's a play maker with a decent pass on him.

He's acclimatised to the english game well,he's fast and knows where the back of the net is.

Only issue would be the price,with the hammers paying around £35mill for him,it would take a big bid to get him.

With Coutinho not really being replaced and the likes of Lallana looking likely to be out the door during the summer,i see this guy as a decent replacement.

GaryBarlow99

The more i see him play the more i like the look of Felipe Anderson at West Ham,

he can play the left side of midfield and AMC,he's a play maker with a decent pass on him.

He's acclimatised to the english game well,he's fast and knows where the back of the net is.

Only issue would be the price,with the hammers paying around £35mill for him,it would take a big bid to get him.

With Coutinho not really being replaced and the likes of Lallana looking likely to be out the door during the summer,i see this guy as a decent replacement.
He is brilliant and the player I wanted us to look at when the Fekir deal went tits up. He'd cost a bit as West Ham paid £36m for him but I would love us to go for him in the summer. Would round out our attack beautifully.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member

There's a touch of hazard about him, he really looks the real deal.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
He is brilliant and the player I wanted us to look at when the Fekir deal went tits up. He'd cost a bit as West Ham paid £36m for him but I would love us to go for him in the summer. Would round out our attack beautifully.
Has Felipe Anderson been consistently good this year? That has always been his problem in the past.

I couldn't believe what a bargain West Ham got when other players were going for so much more. Thought he was a great, cheap gamble with so much upside potential... and would have been a specially good move for us when we have such a great coach in Klopp who I believed would have a decent shot at helping him build those missing elements.

Consistency has always been his biggest problem... looking like a top superstar for 6 to 8 games but then disappearing for the next month. And that had me thinking that if his upturn in form (he is pretty unstoppable when playing well) coincided with a time where Mane, Firmino or Salah were struggling... I thought we would have a slim, lucky outside chance of challenging for the title.

Certainly my expectations in the summer didn't have us performing so well and sitting in 1st place :).

Would he be someone I would target now? I don't know. Admittedly stopped following him when he got to the PL.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll need to watch a few more of his matches. Always enjoy watching skillful players regardless of team (although I'll always be cheering for Liverpool).

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Has Felipe Anderson been consistently good this year? That has always been his problem in the past.

I couldn't believe what a bargain West Ham got when other players were going for so much more. Thought he was a great, cheap gamble with so much upside potential... and would have been a specially good move for us when we have such a great coach in Klopp who I believed would have a decent shot at helping him build those missing elements.

Consistency has always been his biggest problem... looking like a top superstar for 6 to 8 games but then disappearing for the next month. And that had me thinking that if his upturn in form (he is pretty unstoppable when playing well) coincided with a time where Mane, Firmino or Salah were struggling... I thought we would have a slim, lucky outside chance of challenging for the title.

Certainly my expectations in the summer didn't have us performing so well and sitting in 1st place :).

Would he be someone I would target now? I don't know. Admittedly stopped following him when he got to the PL.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll need to watch a few more of his matches. Always enjoy watching skillful players regardless of team (although I'll always be cheering for Liverpool).

I can't say i've seen a huge amount of West Ham games,but when i have he seems to be the stand out player in that team,where all the good play comes from.

When he's on the ball,his passing,dribbling,crossing and goals are class,he seems to have a good engine on him aswell,

not shy in coming back helping out,intercepting and tackling,plus great on the counter attack.

What his overall stats will be over the course of the season,i guess will tell if he's over come his consistency issues you have,

but atm 19 games,8 goals 2 assists at the halfway mark,looks pretty impressive for an attacking midfielder,

you'd hope in our squad,with slightly better players around him and Klopp working his magic,those numbers would improve.

They say brining in players could have a bad effect on the team moral,but i think when buying players nowadays,

Klopp and his scouting team look into every aspect of a player,especially personalities,if he thought the guy had a chip on his shoulder and bad attitude,i don't see them going for him,but if a player arrives,i think he'll fit straight into the squad.Would i buy Anderson now? i would (if he has the right attitude),for me,he'd be a great squad player for the second half of the season.

As they say,you always strengthen from a position of power and never let the grass grow under your feet in this game.

Last edited:

GaryBarlow99

Anderson struggled a bit at the beginning of the season but has become more influential for West Ham and his stats back that up.

Limiescouse

RE: Anderson. First game of the season I commented in the match thread on how hard he seemed to be working defensively, which isnt something you associate with a brazilian forward who has just made a move to a team lower down the ladder than he had spent the last 3 years being linked to. If it's taken him a while to get up to speed on the other side of the ball, I like the idea of simply working hard until it starts going your way.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
RE: Anderson. First game of the season I commented in the match thread on how hard he seemed to be working defensively, which isnt something you associate with a brazilian forward who has just made a move to a team lower down the ladder than he had spent the last 3 years being linked to. If it's taken him a while to get up to speed on the other side of the ball, I like the idea of simply working hard until it starts going your way.
This was very noticeable live, he was constantly tracking back to help the fullback out. His performance reminded me of Mane.

He's an impressive footballer, certainly better than West Ham.

Dave-D

Anderson is the new Payet for WHU, by that I mean should be playing for a top six team. Would cost an arm and a leg now unfortunately but I wouldn’t have a problem if Klopp felt shelling out on him was a good idea.

Danny_

If Mats Hummels is available for 30m, we should consider going in for him. He is only 30 years old and has another 4-5 good years. CBs can keep playing at the top level until 35 or even longer. He would definitely strengthen our defense and give us depth. If Matip moves on after this year, we need to replace him.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
If Mats Hummels is available for 30m, we should consider going in for him. He is only 30 years old and has another 4-5 good years. CBs can keep playing at the top level until 35 or even longer. He would definitely strengthen our defense and give us depth. If Matip moves on after this year, we need to replace him.
Injury prone, on the wane, lacks pace.

Just like Vertonghen the name is more impressive than what they do on the pitch these days (he's always been overrated too IMO). Pass.

Edit: Hasn't missed as many games as I'd thought. Still wouldn't take him though, not an upgrade on what we have.

Last edited:

wibseyred

Hummels would get ripped to shreds in England too slow turning circle of an oil tanker another Mertasacker

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If Mats Hummels is available for 30
Even that I won't go for let alone 30m. If we could keep our 4 centre halves, we should be alright. What we need is to buy someone that allow us to interchange our front 4 with and a left-back who doesn't mind playing second fiddle (was hoping we have another Trent in the making for this spot).

C

Caradoc

Right now I’d be looking to sign the following:

LB - Ferland Mendy
LW - Thorgan Hazard*
CAM - Nabil Fekir

I think those 3 players would improve our squad massively without breaking the bank.

(*Felipe Anderson would be even better but would probably cost too much)

I wouldn’t mind Rabiot on a free and sensible wages either.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

LB - Ferland Mendy
LW - Thorgan Hazard
CAM - Nabil Fekir

I think those 3 players would improve our squad massively without breaking the bank.
20m for Ings, 20m for Origi, 10m for Lallana, 10m for kids like Ejaria/Kent. That's 60m.
If you add the customary 40m per season, we are looking at 100m min for our transfers.
To me LB and 1 attacking option would be sufficient. We can easily spend 60-80m for Dybala/Werner/Sancho, etc. And if we are looking at Griezmann we should be capable of easily spending 100m+ for him.
Just saying that we are not broke anymore to keep looking at cheap options. :)

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
He has the same agent as Coutinho I think? I would believe Klopp would swerve that slimy prick.

No doubt his talent though, his numbers in Italy were up there with the very best in Europe and he now looks to be adapting to English football.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
He has the same agent as Coutinho I think? I would believe Klopp would swerve that slimy prick.

No doubt his talent though, his numbers in Italy were up there with the very best in Europe and he now looks to be adapting to English football.
I was a bit curious on that and checked his stats.
Current season - 8 goals, 3 assists in 1685m
Below are seasons from Italy.
Last season - 8 goals, 10 assists in 1760m
16/17 season - 5 G, 13 A in 3244m
15/16 season - 9G, 6 A in 2923m
14/15 season - 11G, 10 A in 2527m.

1. I don't think his stats were up with the very best in Europe when he was in Italy.
2. He is almost matching his best season in Italy right now while only half season is completed here.
To me, seems like he has improved. If his form in PL is not a one season wonder, then this guys is going to be one of top 10 best winger/forward in PL. Wouldn't mind having him here to rotate with Mane, Shaq, Ox, Keita on the left/right wings.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad

He's too slow. Besides, we have the newer, faster, younger, improved Hummels in Van Dijk. Also, Gomez will return soon and he is also better than Hummels now.Would even have Lovren and Matip ahead of him.Our 4 CB's are class.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I was a bit curious on that and checked his stats.
Current season - 8 goals, 3 assists in 1685m
Below are seasons from Italy.
Last season - 8 goals, 10 assists in 1760m
16/17 season - 5 G, 13 A in 3244m
15/16 season - 9G, 6 A in 2923m
14/15 season - 11G, 10 A in 2527m.

1. I don't think his stats were up with the very best in Europe when he was in Italy.
2. He is almost matching his best season in Italy right now while only half season is completed here.
To me, seems like he has improved. If his form in PL is not a one season wonder, then this guys is going to be one of top 10 best winger/forward in PL. Wouldn't mind having him here to rotate with Mane, Shaq, Ox, Keita on the left/right wings.
There are more to stats than goals and assists. Yet even so the above in one of the lesser top teams is still very good.

For instance, his ball recovery was excellent (shows he worked hard for the team), his chances created was high. He has very few weaknesses in his game.

Anyway, I doubt we’d be interested for the reasons I stated, I get a feeling Coutinho’s agent burnt a lot of bridges here.

C

Caradoc

20m for Ings, 20m for Origi, 10m for Lallana, 10m for kids like Ejaria/Kent. That's 60m.
If you add the customary 40m per season, we are looking at 100m min for our transfers.
To me LB and 1 attacking option would be sufficient. We can easily spend 60-80m for Dybala/Werner/Sancho, etc. And if we are looking at Griezmann we should be capable of easily spending 100m+ for him.
Just saying that we are not broke anymore to keep looking at cheap options. :)

Completely missing my point. How you could interpret my post as suggesting that we are strapped for cash is beyond me. Both Hazard and Mendy would be coming in to cover positions so why blow silly money on those players? Only Fekir would be coming in with a view to slotting straight in to first team action.

And just because we can afford the expenive option it doesn’t mean we should take it every time whether that translates into better quality or not. That’s just a ridiculous way to run a football club both on and off the field.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team

LB - Ferland Mendy
LW - Thorgan Hazard*
CAM - Nabil Fekir

(*Felipe Anderson would be even better but would probably cost too much)

I wouldn’t mind Rabiot on a free and sensible wages either.
If we got Felipe Anderson, would you not forgo Fekir as well (in addition to Hazard)??? Anderson could cover both LW and CAM. For that matter, Mendy could probably get some games at LW too.

From a numbers perspective, when Ox returns, and with some of our youth on the cusp, I think we have too many players for too little playing time.

GaryBarlow99

Even though I would love us to get Fekir if we got Felipe Anderson he can cover both LW and AM. Not sure Fekir could do both and with the emergence of Shaqiri as an AM and Wilson I think we could maybe put that one to bed. I wouldn't be against bringing in Sessegnon who could cover the left side as a wing back or a winger.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
If there is ever a time to overspend to buy a player who could lift the squad... this January is the time to do it.

Werner, Koulibaly, Felipe Anderson, Fekir, Florian Thauvin, De Ligt... whoever is in that elite category and could help us.

IMO... now is the time to nail down that title win.

C

Caradoc

If we got Felipe Anderson, would you not forgo Fekir as well (in addition to Hazard)??? Anderson could cover both LW and CAM. For that matter, Mendy could probably get some games at LW too.

From a numbers perspective, when Ox returns, and with some of our youth on the cusp, I think we have too many players for too little playing time.

Nope!

wibseyred

If there is ever a time to overspend to buy a player who could lift the squad... this January is the time to do it.

Werner, Koulibaly, Felipe Anderson, Fekir, Florian Thauvin, De Ligt... whoever is in that elite category and could help us.

IMO... now is the time to nail down that title win.
Who is off the quality that will lift the squad off that list none of them for me. Would any of them make an instant impact doubtful. A signing at this stage of the season could have an adverse effect think of Asprilla at Newcastle changed the whole squad dynamic.

Last edited:

RedForever2014

For all the player by player talk, ins and outs, I still go back to squad numbers.

We have 21 outfield players, of whom it looks like two or three will leave in January - Origi, Solanke, Moreno.

You don't want to be trimming the outfield squad to 18 players, especially when tackling the PL, CL and FA Cup.

Whether or not they are any use as starters except in emergencies, they offer more than unproven kids from the bench.

Oxlade might be ahead of schedule, but won't be any use until the last few matches of the season at best.

If these players leave, we have to add to the squad. We can't go through three competitions over 5 months with 18 senior players.