• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I’m all in for the right player with the right additude being signed in jan with the view that 2019/20 season should be in their sights.

We signed keita and Fabinho and both took months to assimilate to the club.

Sign now, for next season.

That’s not to say if we sign timo Werner ( for example) he’s banned from the match day squad......not at all.

I’m less concerned about an asprilla situation, you can’t not sign anyone just in case it doesn’t work out.

Agree with redforever here, our squad, as brilliant as it’s results are, is an injury or two away from being exposed...... can’t mess this opurtunity up.

The caveat is though; I trust Klopp, if no one comes in, then he didn’t find someone he wanted...

GaryBarlow99

Someone out of the blue who hasn't been linked would be exciting like when we bid for Alex Teixeira. I hope we sign someone but I would be fine if we didn't. Just hope we don't get any long term injuries to any of our front three.

red arizona scott

We have 21 outfield players, of whom it looks like two or three will leave in January - Origi, Solanke, Moreno.

You don't want to be trimming the outfield squad to 18 players, especially when tackling the PL, CL and FA Cup.

Oxlade might be ahead of schedule, but won't be any use until the last few matches of the season at best.

If these players leave, we have to add to the squad. We can't go through three competitions over 5 months with 18 senior players.
I generally agree but am fine with the current squad if just Solanke goes on lone. Still have Shaq, Sturridge and Origi as back up forwards. Keep Moreno until a ready deputy is on the team.

So keep the depth and continuity--next offseason is the time to exchange some role players and 2nd/3rd teamers, so long as no major injuries THRU january.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I’m all in for the right player with the right additude being signed in jan with the view that 2019/20 season should be in their sights.

We signed keita and Fabinho and both took months to assimilate to the club.

Sign now, for next season.

That’s not to say if we sign timo Werner ( for example) he’s banned from the match day squad......not at all.

I’m less concerned about an asprilla situation, you can’t not sign anyone just in case it doesn’t work out.

Agree with redforever here, our squad, as brilliant as it’s results are, is an injury or two away from being exposed...... can’t mess this opurtunity up.

The caveat is though; I trust Klopp, if no one comes in, then he didn’t find someone he wanted...
I get the impression that our scouting set up is pretty much on point right now. It is totally 100% joined up thinking with Klopp and his needs.

We seem to be really nailing every single transfer, not just in ability but how they have fitted into the squad and all seem to have a very similar personalities. So I agree even if we did bring in a player I have no doubt they would slot straight into the ethos here.

donks

TIA First Team
The worry for us is an injury to Van Dijk or Salah. So for me if we are to buy in January it would be a replacement/back up for either or both players as a precautionary measure or else if we want to improve the team we sign an attacking player with pace.

C

Caradoc

Koulibaly can be a beast of a defender but he can also lose his head. We’ve already got a CB whose a bit like that. We don’t need to spend £100million+ for another one.

Goldtigar

Koulibaly can be a beast of a defender but he can also lose his head. We’ve already got a CB whose a bit like that. We don’t need to spend £100million+ for another one.
Koulibaly is the beast, its different class than Lovren and Gomez, Gomez is youth thats true but you must sacrifice some to get that kind of player... I think we need one more good CB like VVD good in aerial DF and streght. We have best start ever that need to stay like that or better.. YNWA!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Koulibaly is the beast, its different class than Lovren and Gomez, Gomez is youth thats true but you must sacrifice some to get that kind of player... I think we need one more good CB like VVD good in aerial DF and streght. We have best start ever that need to stay like that or better.. YNWA!
No offense bud but the idea of sacrificing Gomez is ridiculous, his performances this season have been terrific and he's only 21. Koulibaly is probably a better defender, but not by much, but Gomez is orders of magnitude better on the ball than Koulibaly.

I'd have Koulibaly anyway and rotate those three, that's a sure fire way to maintain our incredibly stingy defence, but I wouldn't get rid of Gomez for any centre back in the game.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad

Yeah, you're right, let's break up the meanest defence in the history of the Premiership and get rid of trash like Gomez and Lovren. :rolleyes:

Red Ted

Eriksen would be my no.1 priority come the summer if not now. He’s had an offer on the table from Spurs for a month now and hasn’t signed it so would only have 12 months left on his contract come the summer

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham/tottenham-growing-twitchy-as-christian-eriksen-stalls-on-latest-contract-offer-a4028416.html
Same here, been saying that for a while in this thread.

He's a brilliant player & would be a perfect fit for us, he would make our team a lot stronger, people go on about Kane & Son and rightfully so but he's the one that makes Spurs tick.

He used to mention about wanting to play in Spain although that was some time ago, if there was any chance he'd want to come here we'd surely have to go for it?

Richard88

Eriksen would be my no.1 priority come the summer if not now. He’s had an offer on the table from Spurs for a month now and hasn’t signed it so would only have 12 months left on his contract come the summer

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham/tottenham-growing-twitchy-as-christian-eriksen-stalls-on-latest-contract-offer-a4028416.html
He'll be 27 in the summer, which is perhaps a bit over what I think is the ideal age for any new midfield or attacking signings, with long-term squad continuity in mind. You don't want ALL your players the same age bracket or you'll be faced with a situation of having to replace them all at the same time which is obviously not optimal.

That said, he's a quality player who would certainly strengthen the squad.

I do wonder though how and where he would fit into the squad. Once Ox is back you'd think the midfield would be set, even if Lallana were to leave. Would Eriksen really want to leave Spurs to go somewhere he wouldn't be first choice?

Dave-D

He'll be 27 in the summer, which is perhaps a bit over what I think is the ideal age for any new midfield or attacking signings, with long-term squad continuity in mind. You don't want ALL your players the same age bracket or you'll be faced with a situation of having to replace them all at the same time which is obviously not optimal.

That said, he's a quality player who would certainly strengthen the squad.

I do wonder though how and where he would fit into the squad. Once Ox is back you'd think the midfield would be set, even if Lallana were to leave. Would Eriksen really want to leave Spurs to go somewhere he wouldn't be first choice?
He’ll be in his prime, how could you think 27 is to old :shocked:

There’s definitely be a space in the team for someone of Eriksen’s ability. Yes AOC is coming back but Lallana is off in the summer as he’s no longer of any real use to the team.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers

There’s definitely be a space in the team for someone of Eriksen’s ability. Yes AOC is coming back but Lallana is off in the summer as he’s no longer of any real use to the team.
So Eriksen (or any other new AM) would get the number of games Lallana played in this season. 8 games most of them from the bench (I think). Whose game time would Ox take? Shaqiris? Is Shaqiri happy with the number of games he is playing at the moment? Or does he deserve a bit more?

The success of Shaqiri as a CAM + Firmino also being used there does mean we don’t need another CAM.

Red Ted

Eriksen is far superior to Shaqiri & anything else we have in midfield, he'd stroll into our team and improve it a lot, technically he's top draw, he's clever, creates & scores goals & many from outside the box, he's not the lazy type either.

I think City will get him if one of big 2 in Spain don't.

Richard88

I never said 27 was old. I said it wasn't wise to have all your players in the same age bracket.

In 3-4 years most of our key players will be close to or entering their 30's. Ideally you plan ahead and have another group of players ready to enter their primes when the current starters are exiting theirs. Otherwise you'd have the starters AND squad option all needing replacing at the same time.

The club are clearly shrewd with squad building though now so this really isn't something to debate much. There's clear signs from the Keita and Robertson signings (not to mention Trent and Gomez's ages) that the club have longevity in mind.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Not just sell him but just throw him in on top of 50 million quid.

The poster should be flogged for saying that.
Face/palm

Are we getting the kids crossing over from Chelsea and man utd now because they are getting jeered in school for supporting them or something

C

Caradoc

Same here, been saying that for a while in this thread.

He's a brilliant player & would be a perfect fit for us, he would make our team a lot stronger, people go on about Kane & Son and rightfully so but he's the one that makes Spurs tick.

He used to mention about wanting to play in Spain although that was some time ago, if there was any chance he'd want to come here we'd surely have to go for it?

I agree. I’d actually take Erikson and Son in a heartbeat if we could get them.

Dave-D

So Eriksen (or any other new AM) would get the number of games Lallana played in this season. 8 games most of them from the bench (I think). Whose game time would Ox take? Shaqiris? Is Shaqiri happy with the number of games he is playing at the moment? Or does he deserve a bit more?

The success of Shaqiri as a CAM + Firmino also being used there does mean we don’t need another CAM.
So where does Fekir come into the team. If whatever happened in the summer hadn’t happened he’d be at Anfield. Eriksen would be a fantastic Fekir replacement

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
So where does Fekir come into the team. If whatever happened in the summer hadn’t happened he’d be at Anfield. Eriksen would be a fantastic Fekir replacement
Things change.

Shaqiri was signed after the whole Fekir affair and has proven to be an excellent player whilst in recent weeks Firmino has proven he can play there to a very high level. The #10 position is one of the last positions we need to buy for now, IMO.

Dave-D

Things change.

Shaqiri was signed after the whole Fekir affair and has proven to be an excellent player whilst in recent weeks Firmino has proven he can play there to a very high level. The #10 position is one of the last positions we need to buy for now, IMO.
It has been said previously by many that Shaqiri was being purchased along with Fekir not instead of Fekir.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
It has been said previously by many that Shaqiri was being purchased along with Fekir not instead of Fekir.
Whether that was true or not is unimportant now, on the evidence of this season.

Besides, part of Fekir's appeal to me was his ability to play in the front line as well and the amount of goals he scores. Eriksen doesn't quite offer that.

He's a fantastic player but once again I don't think he's one we really need. Besides, Firmino operates in similar areas and this Liverpool team are at their best when the play goes through him. Fundamentally I think those two aren't ideally suited to playing together, but then I never thought Firmino and Coutinho were as well suited as everyone claimed either.

A more interesting use of Eriksen would be at the base of midfield in a 2 next to a more defensively minded player (Fab/Gini). That's an idea I could get behind.

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Attacking midfield / #10 was sorted with Shaqiri and Firmino also playing there if needed.

Same goes for the #8 position even if Lallana leaves because we still have Ox and Grujic coming back. If Milner decides to leave then maybe things could change but with his experience and his versatility Milly is a managers dream.

So what do we need in the summer?
I think we can still add some goals to our attack. Sturridge, Origi and Solanke could all leave and all of them are no competition to our Front3.

Timo Werner could be the player to complete our attack. Young. 1 year left on his contract. Proven goalscorer. Can play ST and LW with the same quality.