• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Red Ted

Ramsey won't really be free, he'll want a big wage and a signing on fee.

Is Sessegnon really any good? He looks like a hype job, so much hype last season, the times I've seen him this season he hasn't impressed at all, he'd still cost a good 30/40 million too & for what really? Potential & warming the bench?

Dave-D

Ramsey won't really be free, he'll want a big wage and a signing on fee.

Is Sessegnon really any good? He looks like a hype job, so much hype last season, the times I've seen him this season he hasn't impressed at all, he'd still cost a good 30/40 million too & for what really? Potential & warming the bench?
Sessegnon is only 18 will turn 19 in May. He’d be a great player to have as a Mane back up and isn’t Moreno which helps at LB.
It’s his first season in the EPL so I expect him to kick on next season

Danny Sarge

Wilifred Zaha

Absolutely top notch, I'd go as far as saying he's arguably the best player outside the top 6 and one of the best wingers in the league not to mention blistering pace to suit our swift attacking play.

Stick Mane back on the right, Firmino in the 10, Zaha on the left and Salah up top.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Wilifred Zaha

Absolutely top notch, I'd go as far as saying he's arguably the best player outside the top 6 and one of the best wingers in the league not to mention blistering pace to suit our swift attacking play.

Stick Mane back on the right, Firmino in the 10, Zaha on the left and Salah up top.
Zaha's quality but I'm not so sure that's true anymore. There are some really good wide players outside the top 6 - Richarlison, Pererya, Anderson and Fraser come to mind.

Fraser is very seriously underrated I feel, his delivery into the box is consistently excellent.

Dave-D

I’d have Fraser over Zaha not only because Fraser would be significantly cheaper (contact runs out 2020) but he will already have an understanding with Robertson as they both play on the left for Scotland and I feel he’s a better player than Zaha

RedForever2014

For me it's concerning to see us reducing the squad size at this point of the season.

Players like Clyne, Moreno, Origi and Solanke are limited, but put any of them in our best 11 and they do a good enough job versus an untried kid.

The difference between us and City is the depth of our squad and in particular in the forwards.

Reducing what depth we have and not adding any extra quality up top, is not what a club looking to cement its advantageous position should be doing.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
For me it's concerning to see us reducing the squad size at this point of the season.

Players like Clyne, Moreno, Origi and Solanke are limited, but put any of them in our best 11 and they do a good enough job versus an untried kid.

The difference between us and City is the depth of our squad and in particular in the forwards.

Reducing what depth we have and not adding any extra quality up top, is not what a club looking to cement its advantageous position should be doing.
Even if the untried kid is a better footballer? We'd never have given Trent or Gomez a chance if Klopp was as conservative as this and we'd still be playing lesser footballers in their stead.

It wasn't long ago that you didn't consider Solanke as a 'senior option', yet 0 minutes later and suddenly he is? There's a good chance Brewster offers as much as Origi or Solanke straight from the go IMO.

The only players to have left so far are Clyne and Solanke and they have 200 minutes of football between them in our first team this season.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Looking at the squad as a whole, We are pretty close I think. I'd like the following;

• Forward - Werner (depth for the front line and someone who can play alongside or in place of Firmino)
  • Defender - Kelly (left back depth as Moreno will leave and can learn from Van Dijk as center back)
  • Forward / Defender - Sessegnon (primarily back up for Mane on the left but can play left back against weaker teams where we will have a lot of the ball)

Wilson coming back from loan to be back up for Salah on the right. If he doesn't or moves on we need a wide forward who can play no.10 to come in.

Starting 11:

Alisson

TAA - Gomez - VVD - Robertson

Gini - Fabinho

Salah - Firmino - Mane

Werner
Depth;

• RB Cover - Gomez, Milner, Fabinho
  • LB Cover - Kelly, Milner, Sessegnon
  • CB Cover - Matip, Lovren, Kelly
  • CM Cover - Henderson, Keita, Milner
  • FW Cover - Shaqiri, Wilson, Sessegnon, Brewster

RedForever2014

Even if the untried kid is a better footballer? We'd never have given Trent or Gomez a chance if Klopp was as conservative as this and we'd still be playing lesser footballers in their stead.

It wasn't long ago that you didn't consider Solanke as a 'senior option', yet 0 minutes later and suddenly he is? There's a good chance Brewster offers as much as Origi or Solanke straight from the go IMO.

The only players to have left so far are Clyne and Solanke and they have 200 minutes of football between them in our first team this season.
The squad is getting too light.

Richard88

Looking at the squad as a whole, We are pretty close I think. I'd like the following;

• Forward - Werner (depth for the front line and someone who can play alongside or in place of Firmino)
  • Defender - Kelly (left back depth as Moreno will leave and can learn from Van Dijk as center back)
  • Forward / Defender - Sessegnon (primarily back up for Mane on the left but can play left back against weaker teams where we will have a lot of the ball)

Wilson coming back from loan to be back up for Salah on the right. If he doesn't or moves on we need a wide forward who can play no.10 to come in.

Starting 11:

Alisson

Gini - Fabinho

Salah - Firmino - Mane

Werner
Depth;

I doubt we'd sign BOTH Sessegnon and Kelly. They'll know that Robertson is going to be tough to supplant at LB and won't want to be competing with him AND each other. Either one would be a good signing though.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I doubt we'd sign BOTH Sessegnon and Kelly. They'll know that Robertson is going to be tough to supplant at LB and won't want to be competing with him AND each other. Either one would be a good signing though.
One plays center back as well.
One is primarily a left winger.

Zico Nealy

Starting 11:

Alisson

Gini - Fabinho

Salah - Firmino - Mane

Werner
Depth;

Some great points here but I can’t see Hendo staying if he won’t play much and even Shaq will want a bigger role soon. TAA might move to cm in the near future?

Richard88

Big opportunity for Brewster now that Solanke has left.

You'd think Klopp will want to sign an attacking player, and even if he does Brewster would still be 3rd choice up front if Sturridge and Origi also leave by the summer.

I can see Klopp and Edwards pushing very hard to get Werner by the summer. He would add a perfect option for the attack, challenging the established front 3 for a starting spot, as well as being useful tactically. Only 18 months left on his deal which smells like Edwards territory.

big noyd

he certainly hasn't been great. but he's still only 18 and has at least gotten himself in dangerous positions, even if he hasn't taken his chances

robertson is too vital to rotate in the strictest sense, imo, and it's unlikely a direct alternative of requisite quality would come to play so little. so i think a left-sided CB who can fill in there (kelly), plus a wide player who can play up and down the left side would be the way to go. makes more sense if we occasionally revert to the 4 3 3 i guess

big noyd

with chelsea evidently closing in on lozano & having already signed pulisic, have to think they're out of the mix for fekir even if he plays more centrally

Richard88

Fekir left out of 18 man squad.... Here we go again.... haha
I can't see Fekir being an option anymore, for three reasons:

1. If the reason for not signing him was because of his medical - meaning that an insurance company wouldn't cover the club due to the likelihood of re-injury, it's extremely unlikely that they'd be willing to cover it now, just 6 months on.

2. Since the failed signing last summer Shaqiri has been signed and impressed in basically the same role in the squad (left-footed inside-right attacker).

3. Ox is 6 months closer to a return and also plays in that RM/AM position, meaning that it is one of the most well-covered areas of the pitch in the squad.

If we do sign an attacker, it will surely be someone capable of playing on the left instead, given that Mané is the only natural fit on the left. Hence the strong rumours for Werner given that he primarily likes to play from the left and up front.

KYRed18

I can't see Fekir being an option anymore, for three reasons:

1. If the reason for not signing him was because of his medical - meaning that an insurance company wouldn't cover the club due to the likelihood of re-injury, it's extremely unlikely that they'd be willing to cover it now, just 6 months on.

2. Since the failed signing last summer Shaqiri has been signed and impressed in basically the same role in the squad (left-footed inside-right attacker).

3. Ox is 6 months closer to a return and also plays in that RM/AM position, meaning that it is one of the most well-covered areas of the pitch in the squad.

If we do sign an attacker, it will surely be someone capable of playing on the left instead, given that Mané is the only natural fit on the left. Hence the strong rumours for Werner given that he primarily likes to play from the left and up front.
I agree with you on points 2 and 3. I was simply stating how funny silly season gets...

But on point 1, the insurance premium is dictated by the size of the investment. Fekir is an asset that has devalued from last summer, so price becomes a point. Lyon cannot allow him to walk for free from a financial stand point. Would do damage to the club for a couple years.

I agree the Werner links make sense and personally I like them a bit more; but this is the forums and we do love ourselves a good laugh or two over here

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
with chelsea evidently closing in on lozano & having already signed pulisic, have to think they're out of the mix for fekir even if he plays more centrally

If that's the case we should sign Hazard. Would love to see him in a LFC jersey.

Limiescouse

Just as importantly, they have only made the bench a handful of times. It has surprised me that we have got rid of Clyne at this point, but we'd still need to lose a fair few players before it became a problem.

Limiescouse

Giroud out, Moratta not convincing and possibly on his way out, Hazard likely to leave in the summer, Pedro and Willian both in their 30s and both linked to moves away in recent windows. Even with Pulisic on board and Lozano linked, there is still plenty of room for them to bring in more forwards.