• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Zico Nealy

Looking at the squad as a whole, We are pretty close I think. I'd like the following;

• Forward - Werner (depth for the front line and someone who can play alongside or in place of Firmino)
  • Defender - Kelly (left back depth as Moreno will leave and can learn from Van Dijk as center back)
  • Forward / Defender - Sessegnon (primarily back up for Mane on the left but can play left back against weaker teams where we will have a lot of the ball)

Wilson coming back from loan to be back up for Salah on the right. If he doesn't or moves on we need a wide forward who can play no.10 to come in.

Starting 11:

Alisson

TAA - Gomez - VVD - Robertson

Gini - Fabinho

Salah - Firmino - Mane

Werner
Depth;

• RB Cover - Gomez, Milner, Fabinho
  • LB Cover - Kelly, Milner, Sessegnon
  • CB Cover - Matip, Lovren, Kelly
  • CM Cover - Henderson, Keita, Milner
  • FW Cover - Shaqiri, Wilson, Sessegnon, Brewster
Some great points here but I can’t see Hendo staying if he won’t play much and even Shaq will want a bigger role soon. TAA might move to cm in the near future?

Richard88

Big opportunity for Brewster now that Solanke has left.

You'd think Klopp will want to sign an attacking player, and even if he does Brewster would still be 3rd choice up front if Sturridge and Origi also leave by the summer.

I can see Klopp and Edwards pushing very hard to get Werner by the summer. He would add a perfect option for the attack, challenging the established front 3 for a starting spot, as well as being useful tactically. Only 18 months left on his deal which smells like Edwards territory.

big noyd

Is Sessegnon really any good? He looks like a hype job, so much hype last season, the times I've seen him this season he hasn't impressed at all, he'd still cost a good 30/40 million too & for what really? Potential & warming the bench?
he certainly hasn't been great. but he's still only 18 and has at least gotten himself in dangerous positions, even if he hasn't taken his chances

robertson is too vital to rotate in the strictest sense, imo, and it's unlikely a direct alternative of requisite quality would come to play so little. so i think a left-sided CB who can fill in there (kelly), plus a wide player who can play up and down the left side would be the way to go. makes more sense if we occasionally revert to the 4 3 3 i guess

big noyd

with chelsea evidently closing in on lozano & having already signed pulisic, have to think they're out of the mix for fekir even if he plays more centrally

Richard88

Fekir left out of 18 man squad.... Here we go again.... haha
I can't see Fekir being an option anymore, for three reasons:

1. If the reason for not signing him was because of his medical - meaning that an insurance company wouldn't cover the club due to the likelihood of re-injury, it's extremely unlikely that they'd be willing to cover it now, just 6 months on.

2. Since the failed signing last summer Shaqiri has been signed and impressed in basically the same role in the squad (left-footed inside-right attacker).

3. Ox is 6 months closer to a return and also plays in that RM/AM position, meaning that it is one of the most well-covered areas of the pitch in the squad.

If we do sign an attacker, it will surely be someone capable of playing on the left instead, given that Mané is the only natural fit on the left. Hence the strong rumours for Werner given that he primarily likes to play from the left and up front.

KYRed18

I can't see Fekir being an option anymore, for three reasons:

1. If the reason for not signing him was because of his medical - meaning that an insurance company wouldn't cover the club due to the likelihood of re-injury, it's extremely unlikely that they'd be willing to cover it now, just 6 months on.

2. Since the failed signing last summer Shaqiri has been signed and impressed in basically the same role in the squad (left-footed inside-right attacker).

3. Ox is 6 months closer to a return and also plays in that RM/AM position, meaning that it is one of the most well-covered areas of the pitch in the squad.

If we do sign an attacker, it will surely be someone capable of playing on the left instead, given that Mané is the only natural fit on the left. Hence the strong rumours for Werner given that he primarily likes to play from the left and up front.
I agree with you on points 2 and 3. I was simply stating how funny silly season gets...

But on point 1, the insurance premium is dictated by the size of the investment. Fekir is an asset that has devalued from last summer, so price becomes a point. Lyon cannot allow him to walk for free from a financial stand point. Would do damage to the club for a couple years.

I agree the Werner links make sense and personally I like them a bit more; but this is the forums and we do love ourselves a good laugh or two over here

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
with chelsea evidently closing in on lozano & having already signed pulisic, have to think they're out of the mix for fekir even if he plays more centrally

If that's the case we should sign Hazard. Would love to see him in a LFC jersey.

Limiescouse

Even if the untried kid is a better footballer? We'd never have given Trent or Gomez a chance if Klopp was as conservative as this and we'd still be playing lesser footballers in their stead.

It wasn't long ago that you didn't consider Solanke as a 'senior option', yet 0 minutes later and suddenly he is? There's a good chance Brewster offers as much as Origi or Solanke straight from the go IMO.

The only players to have left so far are Clyne and Solanke and they have 200 minutes of football between them in our first team this season.
Just as importantly, they have only made the bench a handful of times. It has surprised me that we have got rid of Clyne at this point, but we'd still need to lose a fair few players before it became a problem.

Limiescouse

Giroud out, Moratta not convincing and possibly on his way out, Hazard likely to leave in the summer, Pedro and Willian both in their 30s and both linked to moves away in recent windows. Even with Pulisic on board and Lozano linked, there is still plenty of room for them to bring in more forwards.

big noyd

Giroud out, Moratta not convincing and possibly on his way out, Hazard likely to leave in the summer, Pedro and Willian both in their 30s and both linked to moves away in recent windows. Even with Pulisic on board and Lozano linked, there is still plenty of room for them to bring in more forwards.
sarri wants higuain, supposedly

fekir would work for them as a false 9 though. on a personal level it would kind of bother me if he went there

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Fekir, Lozano and Pulisic looks like the start of a really good front line who can play with the intensity Sarri wants from his forwards. Losing Hazard and their reliance on him might actually be no bad thing for them.

Limiescouse

fekir would work for them as a false 9 though. on a personal level it would kind of bother me if he went there
Ive read the stories, but they dont make much sense. The move would see Moratta move to Milan in return, but it ignores that Milan dont actually own Higuain. More to the point, I dont see Chelsea spending the money on Higuain that Milan have already committed to Juve that they will pay

Dave-D

Supposedly Sarri didn’t know about Pulisic being signed.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
So, it seems that Liverpool will indeed face a massive overhaul of attacking options. At one point, I presumed he would go for a winger in Mane/last season's Salah rather than a forward but with all three centre forwards nearing the exit door, I think that Klopp will target a forward, maybe one who can play on the flanks as well, with Brewster getting a promotion. Aside from Werner, is there anyone else who fits that bill?

Elsewhere, I wish Liverpool could find a player like Wolves' Jonny Castro, I'd actually have no problems with signing him in particular but he's Atletico Madrid's player. Energetic, committed fullback who can play on both flanks, we could use him to cover for both Robertson and TAA, probably without a significant drop-off in quality.

That said, I wouldn't have issues with signing this Kelly kid, he's one of those players you never see but read a report which says that he's exactly what your squad needs (left footed Gomez, they had me at that) and you go crazy about signing him. Him being able to cover at centre back, from what those reports said, is also a huge bonus because that's also where I think Liverpool need to strengthen.

Maybe the squad doesn't need too big investment given that there are players we, fans, hope will return strong and impress, like Gomez, AOC and Brewster, and those who are getting close to staking their claim for first XI spot, like Fabinho, Keita and Shaqiri. It's about identifying those two or three players and having a slice of luck when it comes to key players staying free of injury, I'd say, at least long-term ones.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Aurnotivic?
Or perhaps this is the moment markovic comes of age and becomes a key player. Or not.

auzziez

Could selling Solanke clear the way for Brewster to the first team, who in turn could be replaced by Maja? Promote the best prospect from within and replace with another up coming low investment/risk prospect.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
he certainly hasn't been great. but he's still only 18 and has at least gotten himself in dangerous positions, even if he hasn't taken his chances

robertson is too vital to rotate in the strictest sense, imo, and it's unlikely a direct alternative of requisite quality would come to play so little. so i think a left-sided CB who can fill in there (kelly), plus a wide player who can play up and down the left side would be the way to go. makes more sense if we occasionally revert to the 4 3 3 i guess
Thought he was very good against us.. raw yes but full of talent.

lfc.8

We have a good team but feel some overrate it a bit too much. We need a strong squad and not just because of injuries, if we want to regularly compete at the top and win trophies. The club needs to always look forward and seek improvement.

Alisson, Robertson, van Dijk, Gomez, Mane, Salah, Firmino. All quality. Robertson and Gomez have really stepped up this season. Fabinho is producing more now and is looking better. But we need to build around these players and fill in the gaps. We have more than just a need for some backups.

Midfield remains a priority. Against the bigger teams last season and this we haven't always feared that great. Keita is a work in progress. Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaqiri all offer something different but they're not exactly your elite players.

We need another forward. We're too reliant on the front three as it is and there's little behind them. In defence we could do with another fullback and a centre back over Lovren and Matip. Both don't quite fit the bill and there's a weakness there.

Klopp hasn't had too much to spend, relatively, on a net basis before this summer, but he needs to be backed. There will still be a bit of shuffling around with a few exits this summer, but we're at the point now pretty much where we can isolate just two or three positions. The club has made some big strides this season so far but this is where we need to see some ambition and go that extra gear.

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

You can see why we are interested in Werner by this list.

Also impressive we have 3 players in the top 50. That's more than most of the top European clubs. May say why improvements are so so hard for us to find now, especially players knowing they aren't automatically 1st choice. Displacing our front 3 isn't easy.

K

Kloppelgänger

You can see why we are interested in Werner by this list.

Also impressive we have 3 players in the top 50. That's more than most of the top European clubs. May say why improvements are so so hard for us to find now, especially players knowing they aren't automatically 1st choice. Displacing our front 3 isn't easy.

Is Fekir on there? Can’t see him!

Spuds have 3 players on the list.