• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
What if we know exactly who we want, but appreciate that while getting him in the summer is likely, getting him know is near impossible?
That doesn’t suit his narrative. He is so entrenched that for him to climb out and say FSG and Edwards are doing a good job would be near impossible.

Fhree

As a Swiss Liverpool fan I'd really love to see Manuel Akanji with the Reds. Would be an outstanding player (CB). Unfortunately just got injured but someone, Liverpool should focus on imo --> Player Profile

btw don't know if you knew that, but did you know FC Basel did only buy Mo Salah from Egypt as a replacement for Xherdan Shaqiri's departure? If Shaq wouldn't have left to Bayern Munich, Mo Salah might never have changed to Europe!

W00die

Ad-free Member
As a Swiss Liverpool fan I'd really love to see Manuel Akanji with the Reds. Would be an outstanding player (CB). Unfortunately just got injured but someone, Liverpool should focus on imo --> Player Profile

btw don't know if you knew that, but did you know FC Basel did only buy Mo Salah from Egypt as a replacement for Xherdan Shaqiri's departure? If Shaq wouldn't have left to Bayern Munich, Mo Salah might never have changed to Europe!
So I suppose the important question is who did they buy to replace Salah? :)

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

We tried to sign Akanji before he went to Dortmund.

RedForever2014

Personally I still favour us doing something this window.

I think adding some quality to the squad this month would be a further step in the evolution of the squad, especially as several players will leave this summer and need replacing. A face or two now would ease the transition in a summer that could see both back up full backs, the back up keeper, a centre back, a couple of midfielders (Milner and Lallana), and two forwards (Sturridge and Origi) move on.

It would also take advantage of our current standing, and firm up a challenge that could yet unravel.

We are heavily reliant on VVD and Salah, and whilst most sides are reliant on a few players, the depth of quality beyond those players determines what happens if you lose them for a while, namely whether you still compete regardless or fade away.

Looking at the squad, we can probably survive without defensive reinforcement. Moreno can play 3 or 4 matches during the run in to give Andy a rest, without risking results, if he's in a strong 11. We can cover right back with other players from midfield and centre back should be ok as long as VVD remains unscathed. His absence from the CL first leg will give him two weeks off, a positive from a negative.

Central midfield is ok, albeit that if Milner and Fabinho get used in defence it will stretch the rotation options there and Gini and Hendo won't get much rotation and rest.

It is in attacking midfield and the forwards we could do with a boost.

I put Lallana and Keita in that group, as you'd never use them in a midfield two in a 4231. Keita is showing very little, Lallana cannot stay fit long enough to get game time to get match fit.

Origi shows glimpses, like his goals (good follow up instincts versus Everton and a good technical strike at Wolves), but his all round game doesn't offer what we need. He's a last half hour man in matches already won and very occasional starter.

As to Sturridge, if his workrate and physical presence was ever enough, which IMO it wasn't, he'll most likely be too scared to get himself injured in the months before his contract expires to extend himself.

Only Shaqiri is a genuine option to use alongside the front 3 in a 4231, or as one of the forward 3 in a 433. But even he blows hot and cold and doesn't seem a top class 10 or mobile enough forward.

With so many issues in that group of 5 players other than Bobby, Mo and Mane, who you'd use in the 31 of a 4231, I do think we should be adding someone.

Bring a Fekir or Werner in and we'd definitely be more equipped to manage the PL and CL challenges.

People talk about integration time, but quality players adapt quickly, or at the very least offer more from the bench whilst they settle than average and/or unmotivated players do. During the last 30 minutes of matches the 'game plan' is often deviated from and sheer quality shines through.

I know some think I'm negative, it's more frustration because I see an opportunity to win both the CL and PL this season and I really want the club to do something to increase the odds of it happening.

But in Sturridge, Origi, Lallana, Keita and even Shaqiri, I don't see enough of what we need for that to happen.

Last edited:

Brigadear

Gary Cahill on a six month loan?
I would defo go with this. I have to say I am worried about our CB's as apart from VVD they all seem to be made of glass and they are another injury away, I worry that if we don't address this it will cost us the title.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I would defo go with this. I have to say I am worried about our CB's as apart from VVD they all seem to be made of glass and they are another injury away, I worry that if we don't address this it will cost us the title.
Don't think it's necessary really. Matip was on the bench yesterday, Lovren will be fit very soon as will Gomez. Besides, Fabinho has been a fabulous stand-in.

As for who I would buy. Has to be Timo Werner.

Looks like a faster, more technical version of Kuyt. Seems a real team player aswell, I think he would fit in very nicely.

Last edited:

wibseyred

People talk about integration time, but quality players adapt quickly, or at the very least offer more from the bench whilst they settle than average and/or unmotivated players do. During the last 30 minutes of matches the 'game plan' is often deviated from and sheer quality shines through.
Fair point but I raise you the issues Keita is having he's now been in her 7 months and is still struggling to adapt he's offering nothing at present. To a slighted lesser extent is Fabinho who didn't really become a valued first team member till his 3rd month at the club.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Fair point but I raise you the issues Keita is having he's now been in her 7 months and is still struggling to adapt he's offering nothing at present. To a slighted lesser extent is Fabinho who didn't really become a valued first team member till his 3rd month at the club.
This is exactly it. Why RedForever, who’s seen players come in and have to spend months learning the system, expects players to come in and contribute to the title challenge I don’t know.

Besides, if we short because Keita hasn’t settled, wouldn’t it be better to let him settle than get another body in?

Barnestormer

Left wing.
It would seem sensible to get another body in with regard to backing up the front three; its presently Shaq Sturridge and Origi, thats an intermittent 1 out of 3, which is bad. A marque signing now, to play up front, would be such a statement of intent. Im not sure the club want that pressure and are looking to ease into champions pedigree rather than kick start a media event; because such a signing would feed the journos and intensify this run in.

MW2833

This is exactly it. Why RedForever, who’s seen players come in and have to spend months learning the system, expects players to come in and contribute to the title challenge I don’t know.

Besides, if we short because Keita hasn’t settled, wouldn’t it be better to let him settle than get another body in?
Shaqiri is playing more and more matches as we play 4-2-3-1.
So if one of our front 4 gets injured?
I would rather Werner comes to replace one of the injured players, rather than Origi or Sturridge coming on or Keita playing LW out of his natural position.
Even if we revert back to a 4-3-3, the rest of our front players cannot play every game.
This summer, Sturridge and Origi will move on, harry Wilson may come into the first team and Brewster will also be promoted. AOC will hopefully also have recovered and come back stronger.

But imo we still need an attacking option this January, especially considering our low depth this season and manes relatively poor form.

Besides if we bring Werner in, it should help Keita get settled too due to their past relationship.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

3 points.

First Keita isn't going to get settled played out of position, he needs to be put back in his natural CM position so that won't happen till we have more attacking options so he stops being shifted out to fill those gaps. Benefit for the current players.

Second a player who performs as well as Keitas spotty form, who is a natural fit for Klopps attack, will still be an improvement for this season over having to play Lallana, Origi or Sturridge none of which are in good form or good fits anyway themselves. Benefit for this season.

3rd by the new player having that settling in period this season they don't have it next season. By waiting till the summer you're delaying the inevitable. The settling in period is still going to happen. So the player could do it during next season or fire on all cylinders from match day 1 next season. Benefit for next season.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Werner not available this month.

Even a player of his quality would need time to adapt - but we only have 4 months until the end of the season.

wibseyred

First Keita isn't going to get settled played out of position, he needs to be put back in his natural CM position
Sorry but this played out of position stuff is getting silly now. Keita has been here 7 months and has been played in that role more times than not. Do you think he's not training to do that job come the weekend he's been thrown there.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Sorry but this played out of position stuff is getting silly now. Keita has been here 7 months and has been played in that role more times than not. Do you think he's not training to do that job come the weekend he's been thrown there.
He's a CM. He was being bought when we were also targeting Fekir. Fekir plays CAM/number 10 and can cover wide left. We didn't sign Fekir and we have good strong options in CM (especially with Wijnaldum being better this season than last). It's not really surprising to see Keita "filling in" for the failed acquisition of Fekir in some of the roles Fekir would have been used in. Keita is our most creative and attacking CM so it's him or the hardly ever available Lallana that's most likely to do a job for us there. Come on it's hardly a giant leap to make that conclusion is it? But to say his form has been spotty is an understatement. He's shown flashes of what he can offer the team but he's clearly struggling so far. He's pretty much been a CM of one type or other his whole career. It's at least plausible that he'd settle into the team quicker if that was the position he was playing isn't it?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Before Keita was bought, or arrived rather, everyone in here was told by the master of scouts in TIA that he is the player that has the talent to play anywhere in midfield, be it defensive or attacking. Now he has a fixed role, without that he won't succeed?
You missed out the word centre. Anywhere in centre midfield defensive or attacking. Big difference between that and covering for Mane on the left wing.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Facetious sod lol
I honestly don't know anybody who came on here suggesting Keita should be our new winger. I expect those suggesting he be our new number 10 or new DM were both in the minority too. Pretty sure the general opinion was he was, is and should be a CM.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
You missed out the word centre. Anywhere in centre midfield defensive or attacking. Big difference between that and covering for Mane on the left wing.
Mane hardly hug the line when he plays, does he? Unless you're telling me he can't operate anywhere else other than the centre circle to the 18 yard box "D" zone.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Mane hardly hug the line when he plays, does he? Unless you're telling me he can't operate anywhere else other than the centre circle to the 18 yard box "D" zone.
If you can't tell the difference between the style of play of Sadio Mane and a central midfielder I don't think I should try and discuss tactics with you. A CM might be able to do a job wide, especially if he has some pace. But Mane is a forward. He could even do a job as a CF if we needed him to.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If you can't tell the difference between the style of play of Sadio Mane and a central midfielder I don't think I should try and discuss tactics with you. A CM might be able to do a job wide, especially if he has some pace. But Mane is a forward. He could even do a job as a CF if we needed him to.
Yeah I am no tactical genius to comprehend the stringent side of a footballer and how they are fixed in one way while many been talking about the fluidity about our player’s movement.

RedForever2014

I think too much is made of this 'learning the system' issue. There is nothing extraordinary or magical about the way we play, we use a style that many sides use. In fact, many of our performances this season have been so disjointed that it's kind of a none argument.

Keita simply hasn't settled into life in England and/or the Premier League, be that cultural/language or the pace of the game.

This is fine, not every player is what you expect, or settles as quickly as hoped. But what you do is take stock of the situation and act accordingly. You certainly don't use it as an excuse not to sign anyone else.

At the start of the season Sturridge looked like his old self. He has shown glimpses, but he clearly only remains free of injuries by limiting the work he does in training and on the pitch and doesn't contribute enough when called on.

Origi has done one or two good things but is nowhere near rotatable level. Keita has not settled at all. Shaqiri for me is your 5th choice player in a forward squad, he is fine when playing with two of the first choice forwards (or all three), but not enough when asked to be the main man himself, alongside another of the front three or in a shadow front three. Lallana continues to be unreliable, you never know if he's going to be fit and for how long.

This is not good enough, as we sit here today we know that none of the forwards can be rotated without a significant drop off. We know that if we get past Bayern Munich we'll have intense periods with intense midweek CL matches and must win PL matches at the weekend, two of which are against Spurs and Chelsea.

If we play Mane, Salah and Bobby in nearly every match our performances will suffer, as they did in that intense run in September, when we played Chelsea and City in and amongst tough CL matches. The same happened in April and May last season.

That group of 8 attacking midfielders come forwards is not enough to see out the title and go deeper into the CL.

The front three with a similar level 4th option, means you can play two of them and one of the backup group and still be high level. It's a huge step up in terms of challenging on both fronts. Never mind what happens if Bobby, Mo or Mane get injured.

I'm sorry but this isn't good enough. The club is in a wonderful situation, with two major trophies there for the taking but clear identifiable issues in the squad that could be addressed this month.

My own view is that the club is working to financial constraints that are not in keeping with the club's turnover. In part this is because FSG are taking money out via FSM, money that could be the difference between actually winning both the CL and PL this season.

It's bad enough if this is to give the investors a return now, because it's a short term approach when a multi trophy winning LFC would increase long term revenues more than the £30 to £50m that could be spent this window to bolster us.

I actually think a cut of LFC's commercial revenue is being siphoned off by FSG to part fund the Redsox, which is in effect a siphoning of LFC's trophies into Redsox trophies.

LFC will never win what it could over a period of time, against clubs wholly focussed on success, if our owners have agendas of short term financial return or funding other sport franchises they own with a cut of our commercial revenue.

LFC needs to start winning things and regularly. Every possible trophy, year in year out.

The fact that we can't compete in the domestic cups alongside the CL and PL is bad enough. If we can't manage both the PL and CL that's another thing entirely.

You may be happy with glorified near misses, excused away by bad luck, injuries or poor refereeing.

You may be happy for the owners to pick your happiness pocket with their right hand whilst patting you on the head and telling you they value your support with their left.

Perhaps if our support stopped having orgasms at the fees we get for selling players, which aren't even always what they seem (seems like we'll get creamed for £40m on Coutinho), or giving Edwards and FSG a knighthood for merely recycling such money, our fans would see more of the cream in terms of witnessing trophy successes and having bragging rights, instead of FSG's investors and Redsox fans.

Last edited:

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think too much is made of this 'learning the system' issue. There is nothing extraordinary or magical about the way we play, we use a style that many sides use. In fact, many of our performances this season have been so disjointed that it's kind of a none argument.
Not when we have seen Robertson, Fabinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and now Keita be held back and only introduced to the team slowly and carefully.

But what does Klopp know? He has only amassed the third best start to a season in top flight history.

I think your opinion that we just need to go and get someone in is far too simplistic.

For a start, we know Klopp will only spend money to improve the playing staff after all internal options have been exhausted. The market is a last resort. He favours a small group, and likes to be absolutely reassured that the harmony of his squad won’t be risked with a new player.

We know that this is a really good football team, and the better we get, the harder it becomes to add to it.

We also know that top players don’t tend to be available in January. Mostly.

It is a good bet that the club are very interested in Timo Werner. Leipzig have said they will sell in the summer, but he will not move in January.

So what do we do? Forget him and sign someone else not as good, on a whim? Pay Leipzig twice the price in order to tempt them?

And here we go again. I argued with lads on here (possibly you) last summer that Klopp was right to wait after the transfer of Van Dijk collapsed. No no no, I was told. We can’t go into the season with Lovren and Matip. Get anyone. Get Harry Maguire. Get that lad who went to Everton who’s name I’ve forgotten. Get Jonny fucking Evans.

At some point we have to look at Klopp and Edwards record, and actually trust that they know what they are doing.

At the start of the season Sturridge looked like his old self. He has shown glimpses, but he clearly only remains free of injuries by limiting the work he does in training and on the pitch and doesn't contribute enough when called on.

Origi has done one or two good things but is nowhere near rotatable level. Keita has not settled at all. Shaqiri for me is your 5th choice player in a forward squad, he is fine when playing with two of the first choice forwards (or all three), but not enough when asked to be the main man himself, alongside another of the front three or in a shadow front three. Lallana continues to be unreliable, you never know if he's going to be fit and for how long.
I don’t disagree with your assessment of these lads.

For me, Sturridge should be used either as a ten or a nine, in the last half hour of games, if we need a goal (he is still the player most likely to pluck one out of thin air) or we need to slow it down. He is no good when he is trying to manage his was through ninety minutes.

Origi can come in against really shite teams and do a job. Not good enough long term, but fine to get us through to summer when the really good players are likely to become available.

Keita needs time and games (although I’m getting worried about him a bit) and Shaqiri is much more than a fifth choice attacker.

This is not good enough, as we sit here today we know that none of the forwards can be rotated without a significant drop off. We know that if we get past Bayern Munich we'll have intense periods with intense midweek CL matches and must win PL matches at the weekend, two of which are against Spurs and Chelsea.

If we play Mane, Salah and Bobby in nearly every match our performances will suffer, as they did in that intense run in September, when we played Chelsea and City in and amongst tough CL matches. The same happened in April and May last season.

That group of 8 attacking midfielders come forwards is not enough to see out the title and go deeper into the CL.

The front three with a similar level 4th option, means you can play two of them and one of the backup group and still be high level. It's a huge step up in terms of challenging on both fronts. Never mind what happens if Bobby, Mo or Mane get injured.

I'm sorry but this isn't good enough. The club is in a wonderful situation, with two major trophies there for the taking but clear identifiable issues in the squad that could be addressed this month.
You say they can be addressed this month, but given what we know about Klopp, can they?

Do you want him to be a Harry Redknapp type, leaning out of his car window telling Sky that he is trying to get this boy in, trying to move this boy out?

Klopp knows what he wants for the squad. If it’s available this month, he’ll get it done. If it isn’t, he won’t panic - a tactic that has served him well so far.

My own view is that the club is working to financial constraints that are not in keeping with the club's turnover. In part this is because FSG are taking money out via FSM, money that could be the difference between actually winning both the CL and PL this season.

It's bad enough if this is to give the investors a return now, because it's a short term approach when a multi trophy winning LFC would increase long term revenues more than the £30 to £50m that could be spent this window to bolster us.

I actually think a cut of LFC's commercial revenue is being siphoned off by FSG to part fund the Redsox, which is in effect a siphoning of LFC's trophies into Redsox trophies.
You keep saying this, and making the allegation that the sums involved are significant enough to have a serious effect on our ability to compete.

I think you need to put some evidence behind this now. Otherwise it’s just a silly conspiracy theory.

I think what you are doing is deflecting the blame for a what you perceive to be a failure onto a more palatable scapegoat.

You think Liverpool should spend more money. I get that, even if I personally disagree.

But I think the reason Liverpool don’t spend more money is primarily Jurgen Klopp, and not FSG - for all the reasons highlighted above. But you don’t want to blame Klopp, because he is pretty much untouchable at this point, and you’d look ridiculous. So FSG are the obvious target, even if it means you have to make stuff up about them using LFC to finance the Red Sox.

The start and end of this should be is the money there for Klopp when he wants to improve the squad. The answer to that has always been yes. And that means I’m happy.

RedForever2014

Not when we have seen Robertson, Fabinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, and now Keita be held back and only introduced to the team slowly and carefully.

But what does Klopp know? He has only amassed the third best start to a season in top flight history.

I think your opinion that we just need to go and get someone in is far too simplistic.

For a start, we know Klopp will only spend money to improve the playing staff after all internal options have been exhausted. The market is a last resort. He favours a small group, and likes to be absolutely reassured that the harmony of his squad won’t be risked with a new player.

We know that this is a really good football team, and the better we get, the harder it becomes to add to it.

We also know that top players don’t tend to be available in January. Mostly.

It is a good bet that the club are very interested in Timo Werner. Leipzig have said they will sell in the summer, but he will not move in January.

So what do we do? Forget him and sign someone else not as good, on a whim? Pay Leipzig twice the price in order to tempt them?

And here we go again. I argued with lads on here (possibly you) last summer that Klopp was right to wait after the transfer of Van Dijk collapsed. No no no, I was told. We can’t go into the season with Lovren and Matip. Get anyone. Get Harry Maguire. Get that lad who went to Everton who’s name I’ve forgotten. Get Jonny fucking Evans.

At some point we have to look at Klopp and Edwards record, and actually trust that they know what they are doing.

I don’t disagree with your assessment of these lads.

For me, Sturridge should be used either as a ten or a nine, in the last half hour of games, if we need a goal (he is still the player most likely to pluck one out of thin air) or we need to slow it down. He is no good when he is trying to manage his was through ninety minutes.

Origi can come in against really shite teams and do a job. Not good enough long term, but fine to get us through to summer when the really good players are likely to become available.

Keita needs time and games (although I’m getting worried about him a bit) and Shaqiri is much more than a fifth choice attacker.

You say they can be addressed this month, but given what we know about Klopp, can they?

Do you want him to be a Harry Redknapp type, leaning out of his car window telling Sky that he is trying to get this boy in, trying to move this boy out?

Klopp knows what he wants for the squad. If it’s available this month, he’ll get it done. If it isn’t, he won’t panic - a tactic that has served him well so far.

You keep saying this, and making the allegation that the sums involved are significant enough to have a serious effect on our ability to compete.

I think you need to put some evidence behind this now. Otherwise it’s just a silly conspiracy theory.

I think what you are doing is deflecting the blame for a what you perceive to be a failure onto a more palatable scapegoat.

You think Liverpool should spend more money. I get that, even if I personally disagree.

But I think the reason Liverpool don’t spend more money is primarily Jurgen Klopp, and not FSG - for all the reasons highlighted above. But you don’t want to blame Klopp, because he is pretty much untouchable at this point, and you’d look ridiculous. So FSG are the obvious target, even if it means you have to make stuff up about them using LFC to finance the Red Sox.

The start and end of this should be is the money there for Klopp when he wants to improve the squad. The answer to that has always been yes. And that means I’m happy.
As always there is merit in your points, we just disagree on some of them.

Re the centre backs, my argument at the time was actually to improve on Matip or Lovren with a signing whilst waiting for VVD, a signing we still need to make. Nobody said sign someone instead of VVD.

Either/or can never be proven. We can never know if we'd have won the CL if we'd had another option on the bench, or whether whatever we do achieve this season could have been better if we'd done something this month.

What I do know is that we went for Fekir, and if Alisson wasn't bought instead with the money, we still lack that signing we actually were on the brink of making.

No player has filled that gap. Not Shaqiri, not Keita, not Lallana, not Sturridge or Origi.

So I still believe we are that signing short and that at the very least we could potentially get someone who can impact things from the bench, even if on loan.

There will be few matches against dross who that lot can influence, but plenty that a good quality 4th option could.