• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
At this point with TAA due to miss at least a month due to injury, I'd go for a hybrid CB/RB player.

Topping my list would be Benjamin Pavard who played well in the World Cup as well as Joshua Kimmich. Pavard can play RB/CB whilst Kimmich can play RB/DM.

If we can't get a top class target, I'm ok with going for a relatively cheap stop gap player until our starters can return to fitness. I believe Klavan was ok in limited minutes. Maybe another player of his ilk to just shore up the defence for now.
Pavard has gone to bayern.

wibseyred

Any players from anywhere available for loan that might be useful?
Someone who a club might be happy to get off the wage bill for a while?
An anelka type loan would be good right now...
That statement is a contradiction in terms. At this stage of the season if your available for loan your not that useful. Clubs only loan players when the fail to sell them.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
That statement is a contradiction in terms. At this stage of the season if your available for loan your not that useful. Clubs only loan players when the fail to sell them.
Nathaniel Clyne?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Personally I think we need a boost up top as Sturridge and Origi have looked of little value. If we can't sign anyone permanently or on loan, I'd think about recalling Wilson.
Far too much made of Wilson imo. All we’re seeing is gifs of the boss goals. I’ve a few Derby supporting family who say he’s obviously got ability beyond anyone else in the side, but disappears in games and can end up being carried for long stretches.

If Derby come up, I would leave him there another season.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Far too much made of Wilson imo. All we’re seeing is gifs of the boss goals. I’ve a few Derby supporting family who say he’s obviously got ability beyond anyone else in the side, but disappears in games and can end up being carried for long stretches.

I went on a Derby forum a couple of weeks ago and saw similar comments - mind you there were a fair few as well telling those saying that they were wrong and nobody else currently at the club could do what Wilson is doing - so daresay there is an element of truth to that.

I really think he'd have something to offer us next season, though, even if it's initially just coming off the bench to give one of our front three a break. His versatility would mean he could provide back-up to any of the three attacking positions behind the CF (assuming we stick with the 4-2-3-1 formation), and his dead-ball ability could prove a valuable weapon to have in the armoury.

But we can all see there's the need to bring in another wide attacker who can provide pace and penetration, if we don't give Wilson a shot now then we either leave ourselves short again or buy someone who'll keep him out permanently. Personally I think he deserves a chance to earn a spot in the squad.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.

It's not just a few boss goals though he's been consistently productive at every level of football.

7 goals in 13 for Hull and 11 in 25 for Derby is nothing to be sniffed at. He scored a bucketful for our youth sides including 10 in 12 last year before moving to Hull. He's already got a couple for Wales. I don't really accept the argument that he goes 'missing' often when he's scoring a big goal vitually every other game.

The quality of his goals demonstrate he has the technical ability to play at a higher level. With his versatility too I'd want us to give him a proper chance asap, he can refine the rest of his game here. It also offers encouragement to the other youngsters here and those who we'll try to sign in the future.

Mascot88

Admin
It's not just a few boss goals though he's been consistently productive at every level of football.

7 goals in 13 for Hull and 11 in 25 for Derby is nothing to be sniffed at. He scored a bucketful for our youth sides including 10 in 12 last year before moving to Hull. He's already got a couple for Wales. I don't really accept the argument that he goes 'missing' often when he's scoring a big goal vitually every other game.

The quality of his goals demonstrate he has the technical ability to play at a higher level. With his versatility too I'd want us to give him a proper chance asap, he can refine the rest of his game here. It also offers encouragement to the other youngsters here and those who we'll try to sign in the future.
Yes, he is obviously really good, but I’m only going on what people I know who go to watch Derby week in and week out say. They doubt he is ready for Liverpool.

His goal record is great, but does he do everything else that is asked of a player in a Jurgen Klopp side? Will he even get those chances in the Premier League?

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Yes, he is obviously really good, but I’m only going on what people I know who go to watch Derby week in and week out say. They doubt he is ready for Liverpool.

His goal record is great, but does he do everything else that is asked of a player in a Jurgen Klopp side? Will he even get those chances in the Premier League?
Not enough to warrant a starting berth, compare his overall contribution to Mane and he comes up short. So does Shaqiri and he's still had a very positive impact.

The question I'd ask is does Wilson offer more than Lallana or Sturridge? I'd argue he does, even now, and their career trajectories suggest that gap will only widen.

RedForever2014

I agree that he's far from the finished article and definitely not a regular starter for us, but his performances against PL opposition in cup matches this season have been much better than our squad players were able to deliver in our own cup matches against PL opposition.

IMO off the bench he'd contribute more than Sturridge or Origi.

Obviously the club shouldn't be in the position where it even has to consider recalling a developing young player from a good loan, or deny young players loans next season, because well paid senior players can't deliver when called on.

I would have all our young players out on loan next season, we'd see who is good enough and would get back players much more advanced than if they play a bit part here.

But we'll have to replace Clyne, Moreno, a centre back, Lallana, maybe Milner, Origi and Sturridge, and if we can't buy senior replacements, then some young players will have to make up the squad even though it'll stunt their development and compromise our competitiveness.

Zinedine Biscan

Not enough to warrant a starting berth, compare his overall contribution to Mane and he comes up short. So does Shaqiri and he's still had a very positive impact.

The question I'd ask is does Wilson offer more than Lallana or Sturridge? I'd argue he does, even now, and their career trajectories suggest that gap will only widen.
I think for me Wilson is reaching or has reached the point where to round out his game and acquire the aspects Klopp looks for, he needs to be training under Klopp and training and playing alongside the players he'll be tasked with understudying, rather than a manager unconnected to Liverpool and the way we play.

GaryBarlow99

I agree that he's far from the finished article and definitely not a regular starter for us, but his performances against PL opposition in cup matches this season have been much better than our squad players were able to deliver in our own cup matches against PL opposition.

IMO off the bench he'd contribute more than Sturridge or Origi.

Obviously the club shouldn't be in the position where it even has to consider recalling a developing young player from a good loan, or deny young players loans next season, because well paid senior players can't deliver when called on.

I would have all our young players out on loan next season, we'd see who is good enough and would get back players much more advanced than if they play a bit part here.

But we'll have to replace Clyne, Moreno, a centre back, Lallana, maybe Milner, Origi and Sturridge, and if we can't buy senior replacements, then some young players will have to make up the squad even though it'll stunt their development and compromise our competitiveness.
I could see us getting a player or players who can cover CB and RB or CB and LB. Few multi functional players will definitely be brought in over the summer imo. Militao (CB/RB), Lloyd Kelly (LB/CB), Sessegnon (LW, WF, LB), Werner (CF, LW, RW, WF) have been linked who can all cover these roles. I would also have Wilson replacing Lallana in the squad.

Mascot88

Admin
I think for me Wilson is reaching or has reached the point where to round out his game and acquire the aspects Klopp looks for, he needs to be training under Klopp and training and playing alongside the players he'll be tasked with understudying, rather than a manager unconnected to Liverpool and the way we play.
I’d be worried that at the minute he is doing well playing regular football, and coming back to Liverpool to play ten minute cameos, and the odd cup game would set him back.

Zinedine Biscan

I’d be worried that at the minute he is doing well playing regular football, and coming back to Liverpool to play ten minute cameos, and the odd cup game would set him back.
It's hard for us to say definitively what the best approach for Wilson will be, and I'll agree there is a counter-argument to be made in favour of regular game-time. To that I would also say there's likely to be a difference between playing for a club riding high (albeit in a lower league) and one that will probably take a battering should they reach the PL and spend the entire season fighting relegation.

I'm fairly certain Klopp rates him though, and will do whichever he feels is best for him.

I do feel though like if we sign another wide attacker in the summer and send Wilson out on loan that's basically it for him.

Sweeting

As a counter point, it is harder to stay "in" the game for 90 minutes when your supporting cast is Martyn Waghorn and Mason Mount compared to Salah, Mane and Firmino.

wibseyred

This is where football would benefit from the dual registration system rugby league operates. This is similar to the system but your not tied for a set period of time. A club say us Liverpool signs a dual registration deal with say Derby every week Liverpool offers a choice of players they can use for that weeks games only they can take them or not they play the games and then come back. this system is in addition to the tried and tested longer term loans.

Red over the water

Just posted this in another thread by mistake:

• Wilson for Lallana (no cost to us, even if Lallana leaves on a free, improves the squad)
  • Werner for Origi (money from sales of Origi, Ings and Solanke covers the fee for Werner, or close)
  • Militao for Lovren or Matip (guess 20M cost differential)
  • Lloyd Kelly for Moreno (guess 20M cost differential)
  • Tom Heaton for Mignolet (negligible cost differential)

Something like that is very doable with a usual sort of summer budget i.e. not the bumper budget of last year which was heavily influenced by the Coutinho exit. If we did the business listed above the age of squad would come down even further, and the depth of talent would go up.

All positions would be covered. A couple more home based players would be added too.

Job's a good 'un.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Zaha would do the business here, he must be a nightmare to play against. Fair enough it was Milner but he showed him up and Milner isn't shit.

Limiescouse

Zaha would do the business here, he must be a nightmare to play against. Fair enough it was Milner but he showed him up and Milner isn't shit.
One of the things he has going for him at Palace is that the balance of their games means that most of their attacks are counters. That means the overwhelming majority of his touches are with quite a bit of space ahead of him. It is a set up that really emphasizes his strengths and something he'd only get here if used as an impact sub in games in which we were already leading. It's probably not the only reason it didnt work for him at Utd, but it was surely a significant part.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
One of the things he has going for him at Palace is that the balance of their games means that most of their attacks are counters. That means the overwhelming majority of his touches are with quite a bit of space ahead of him. It is a set up that really emphasizes his strengths and something he'd only get here if used as an impact sub in games in which we were already leading. It's probably not the only reason it didnt work for him at Utd, but it was surely a significant part.
I watched him today and his close control seemed excellent and he has that ability to go from zero to a 100 which gave him the yard to make the cross. I think that ability is what would work here. Mane does it as well.

Limiescouse

I watched him today and his close control seemed excellent and he has that ability to go from zero to a 100 which gave him the yard to make the cross. I think that ability is what would work here. Mane does it as well.
Aye. The paradox is that his skills to beat a defender one on one are exactly what you need against a side that defend like Palace so you can start pulling them out of position.

Well, I guess it's only a paradox if we taken as a given that he couldnt make it for us.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Aye. The paradox is that his skills to beat a defender one on one are exactly what you need against a side that defend like Palace so you can start pulling them out of position.

Well, I guess it's only a paradox if we taken as a given that he couldnt make it for us.
And the bonus is he can rip us a new one two games a year!