• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
I actually think Wan-Bissaka would be a decent signing for us as well, compete with TAA for RB and allow Gomez to switch full-time to the centre.
Loved him from the first day, though I expect Tottenham or Chelsea will sign him at some point. I think that commentators said he was a converted winger when he made his debut last season, he certainly played like it in the beginning but he's now playing as a full-fledged right back. I only wonder how good his attacking game will be, he must be a nightmare to defend against. He looks as focused as a brain surgeon when he's up against the winger he's supposed to be marking and his defensive stats are out of this world for a young player!

As for Zaha... I really don't know what to make of him. He's brilliantly talented, probably the best dribbler in the league and among the best with the ball at his feet. Would he score or assist enough, would he fit a team that is used to playing against packed defences? He's improved in defensive aspect, at least he looks like that to me, but he's still the go-to guy at Palace when they need to break, so it's not like he's overburdened with defensive duties.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I actually think Wan-Bissaka would be a decent signing for us as well, compete with TAA for RB and allow Gomez to switch full-time to the centre.
Wan-Bissaka to come as first choice. I rate him higher than Trent. Trent would move to midfield.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Trent's a better footballer than Wan-Bissaka for sure, and it's not even that close IMO. Trent's technique and intelligence on the ball is on a completely different level.

Wan-Bissaka is a meaner defender though and an excellent player in his own right but I wouldn't be moving Trent for him, we'd lose something in our attacking play. As a team that's looking to dominate and win every game we play we need to be brave enough to have players who are great on the ball in every position.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
Ok. This may have been mentioned before but as I've not been on here that much over the previous year and a half due to numerous issues and severe mental health problems I don't have the patience to read through about a trillion pages to catch up on the thread.

However it's a point I was discussing with a friend of mine that City are desperate foe someone/anyone who can cover the Fernandinho sized hole in their midfield whenever he's missing and Sarri's inexplicable desire to play Kante in a position different to the one where he's one of the best in the world at. Personally I think that transfer would be perfect for both City and Kante.

However if there's the slightest chance he's available - and given how Sarri views him I honestly think a good enough offer and Kante would be sold - then he could be amazing if we're playing double pivots. Ffs, he'd be amazing if we let him be both double pivots.

We have a lot of strength in depth for our central positions. I have spent years on here 'bigging up' Henderson and a few others but if we really wanted to go 4-2-3-1 and ensure we had an amazing defensive base to build that on (given our very forward thinking full backs) I would be overjoyed to see Fabinho and Kante together mopping up anything that comes their way whilst the rest of the squad would have the confidence to play knowing we'd a security system so good that Ocean's Eleven couldn't break through it.

big noyd

Ok. This may have been mentioned before but as I've not been on here that much over the previous year and a half due to numerous issues and severe mental health problems I don't have the patience to read through about a trillion pages to catch up on the thread.

However it's a point I was discussing with a friend of mine that City are desperate foe someone/anyone who can cover the Fernandinho sized hole in their midfield whenever he's missing and Sarri's inexplicable desire to play Kante in a position different to the one where he's one of the best in the world at. Personally I think that transfer would be perfect for both City and Kante.

However if there's the slightest chance he's available - and given how Sarri views him I honestly think a good enough offer and Kante would be sold - then he could be amazing if we're playing double pivots. Ffs, he'd be amazing if we let him be both double pivots.

We have a lot of strength in depth for our central positions. I have spent years on here 'bigging up' Henderson and a few others but if we really wanted to go 4-2-3-1 and ensure we had an amazing defensive base to build that on (given our very forward thinking full backs) I would be overjoyed to see Fabinho and Kante together mopping up anything that comes their way whilst the rest of the squad would have the confidence to play knowing we'd a security system so good that Ocean's Eleven couldn't break through it.
came here to post the same thing, essentially, though the city aspect wasn't on my mind

if chelsea misses out on CL and sells hazard, let's say kante manages to obliquely squawk through his agent about the club's direction

not sure i wouldn't offer 150m for him

Danny Sarge

Wan Bissaka is a brilliant young defender and would be a terrific signing. Better than Trent defensively but Trent overall is better player but as some have said Wan Bissaka could possibly play in the centre aswell and not only would it be a plus for our sake if we brought him here, but potentially it could stop the other big boys from strengthening as he'd walk into most of their teams hands down.

Danny Sarge

And Harry Wilson how about playing him in the number 10 role just off the front 3 creating from a bit deeper.(Coutinho/Shaqiri type role) as admittedly he's not gonna budge any one of our front 3.

Could be a shout.

Danny_

Zaha would do the business here, he must be a nightmare to play against. Fair enough it was Milner but he showed him up and Milner isn't shit.
Milner isn't a RB. What today showed was that we need to strengthen the FB position on both sides now that it looks like Clyne wants to leave.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
If we consider players who when fit will be first choice then I can list only 12 players in current season.
Mo, Bobby, Mane, Shaq, Fab, Wij, Hendo, Robertson, VVD, Gomez, TAA and Alisson.
We have a group of 8 support players who can pitch in if the above 12 is not available due to fatigue/injury/suspension.
Lovren, Matip, Keita, Milner, Lallana, DS, Mignolet and Ox.
Rest all are waste players like Moreno, Origi and few kids.
So - to me looks like we have a strong 12 and a half decent support group. We need to upgrade few of those support options to consitently challenge across 4 fronts. So ideally I would like to have the below as our support group.
Lovren, new CB, Keita, Milner, new RB, new striker, Mignolet, Ox, new LB and Wilson.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Wow.
How long before the "Player x,y or z has just had a great game against us, we must sign him" syndrome starts to gather momentum?
To be fair, he’s been ripping the league up for a while now.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
There's normally a reason why a player continues to play for a team fighting relegation
Well we got;
Robertson from Hull.
Gini from Newcastle.
Shaqiri from Stoke.

Our hit rate on relegated players isn't too shabby! Although my preference is Sessegnon from Fulham this summer!

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
He's a bit limited whenever I've watched him. I would prefer Trent long-term with Hoever backing him up and I think that's what we'll see.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
He's a bit limited whenever I've watched him. I would prefer Trent long-term with Hoever backing him up and I think that's what we'll see.
I think Hoever will follow a similar progression to Joe, moving into the centre fairly soonish as that's his natural position.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I think Hoever will follow a similar progression to Joe, moving into the centre fairly soonish as that's his natural position.
He's just turned 17 though, don't see him as a LFC CB any time soon. I think he'll learn his trade at full back much the same as Carra did. Is Wan Bissaka that good? I think we can do better than him Is Hoever tall enough to be a CB anyway?

carragold

TIA Youth Team
Think it's a bit early to be talking about Hoever as a squad player. Probably be lucky to see 5 appearances in the first team in the next two seasons. Only just turned 17

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I did not know this.

Maybe he’s become a bit worn down.....time for a change of scenery.....knock down price too before he becomes a bust