Who would you buy?

carragold

TIA Youth Team
Think it's a bit early to be talking about Hoever as a squad player. Probably be lucky to see 5 appearances in the first team in the next two seasons. Only just turned 17

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
I did not know this.

Maybe he’s become a bit worn down.....time for a change of scenery.....knock down price too before he becomes a bust

carragold

TIA Youth Team
They say if you're good enough you're old enough, and this lad is more than good enough. Think he will be an important player for us sooner rather than later.
Looked like a very good boy playing with men in the Wolves game. He will be in his 20s before he is even considered to play CB

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
I did not know this.

Maybe he’s become a bit worn down.....time for a change of scenery.....knock down price too before he becomes a bust
Think Zaha could be a good option for us. He's certainly a handful on his day, however, he is a bit inconsistent isn't he? It appears that he LOVES being a big fish in a small pond.

Last edited:

SirBillShankly

Looked like a very good boy playing with men in the Wolves game. He will be in his 20s before he is even considered to play CB
Yep, looked very comfortable and impressive against seasoned pros. I'm fairly confident he will represent our first team more than 5 times in the next 2 seasons. Looks like he has serious talent and the right mentality.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Ok. This may have been mentioned before but as I've not been on here that much over the previous year and a half due to numerous issues and severe mental health problems I don't have the patience to read through about a trillion pages to catch up on the thread.

However it's a point I was discussing with a friend of mine that City are desperate foe someone/anyone who can cover the Fernandinho sized hole in their midfield whenever he's missing and Sarri's inexplicable desire to play Kante in a position different to the one where he's one of the best in the world at. Personally I think that transfer would be perfect for both City and Kante.

However if there's the slightest chance he's available - and given how Sarri views him I honestly think a good enough offer and Kante would be sold - then he could be amazing if we're playing double pivots. Ffs, he'd be amazing if we let him be both double pivots.

We have a lot of strength in depth for our central positions. I have spent years on here 'bigging up' Henderson and a few others but if we really wanted to go 4-2-3-1 and ensure we had an amazing defensive base to build that on (given our very forward thinking full backs) I would be overjoyed to see Fabinho and Kante together mopping up anything that comes their way whilst the rest of the squad would have the confidence to play knowing we'd a security system so good that Ocean's Eleven couldn't break through it.

I think the issue with Kante is he doesn't have the ball-playing ability to play the single pivot for a team that dominates possession. At least not if that player is there to dictate the game, which is the case at Chelsea.

I'm not sure moving to City would change anything in that sense. He'd probably be very good at the defensive bit, with the possible exception of winning headers, and not quite good enough when they have the ball. That's why I'd be surprised to see them spend big money on Kante. I just don't think their setup and style is the right one for him, in terms of maximising what he does. And then, from City's point of view, you end up paying a lot of money for a player who maybe isn't a great fit for the way you play.

I could see him do well at Liverpool though. Still a highly demanding job whether we go one or two at the base, especially in transitions, but not the same emphasis on being the ball central. Maybe he could do a similar job to what Wijnaldum does. Some differences between them, but generally the job they do is sort of similar: stop counter attacks, move the ball, make sure the structure is right, support the attack in the right moments. That sounds more like Kante.

By the way, I hope you're doing better.

SirBillShankly

I don't think we'll go for Kante. He has qualities but not on the ball and wouldn't be value for money signing.I think he is an extremely limited footballer. Fabinho is him and much more, we need players that can do more on the ball.

I really think we should go for the Xabi Alonso/Gerrard clone that is Ruben Neves. Not the most athletic but an excellent football brain. I'm still banging the drum for this guy, I think he's utterly class. The lad has incredible vision and the ability to execute the pass and has an incredible ability to smash the ball in from outside the box. Think he would be an amazing signing for us.

Dave-D

I don't think we'll go for Kante. He has qualities but not on the ball and wouldn't be value for money signing.I think he is an extremely limited footballer. Fabinho is him and much more, we need players that can do more on the ball.

I really think we should go for the Xabi Alonso/Gerrard clone that is Ruben Neves. Not the most athletic but an excellent football brain. I'm still banging the drum for this guy, I think he's utterly class. The lad has incredible vision and the ability to execute the pass and has an incredible ability to smash the ball in from outside the box. Think he would be an amazing signing for us.
City are looking at him and Wolves want 100 million. Liverpool won’t spend that on him and even City have said there is no chance at 100 million.

MW2833

Think Wan-Bissaka will end up at Man City, considering their RB problems.
Very talented defender, but would come very expensive.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Why bother with Zaha when for similar money you can get a much younger, more consistent, more productive and more rounded player in Werner?
Moved this into here.

Different types of player. Werner will work hard and run in behind, Zaha is more of a traditional winger who'll get the ball to feet and consistently beat his full back. Werner doesn't possess the same talent with the ball at his feet.

At half time yesterday Ian Callaghan was talking about Peter Thompson and how he was a 'dribbler', he said if you were 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go you could give Thompson the ball and he'd keep it for the next 10 minutes. Zaha is very much of the same breed.

Tough to say whether Zaha would improve when stepping up or whether he'd look out of place, I'm really not sure. All that being said Werner looks like he'd be a lot cheaper given his contract situation and if we're going to sign either of them I could only see it being him.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
(...)

Tough to say whether Zaha would improve when stepping up or whether he'd look out of place, I'm really not sure. All that being said Werner looks like he'd be a lot cheaper given his contract situation and if we're going to sign either of them I could only see it being him.
Looking at the way German clubs deal with foreign clubs, especially Premier League ones, I wouldn't be sure. People in charge of dealings at German clubs know their stuff, they are experts at brinksmanship. They played their respective hands pretty well in Keita and Pulišić deals, I think deals like these two will become the norm rather than an exception.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Looking at the way German clubs deal with foreign clubs, especially Premier League ones, I wouldn't be sure. People in charge of dealings at German clubs know their stuff, they are experts at brinksmanship. They played their respective hands pretty well in Keita and Pulišić deals, I think deals like these two will become the norm rather than an exception.
Perhaps, but then premier league clubs have been known to fleece each other too. Zaha has just signed a new contract whereas Werner only has a year left, that alone puts Palace in a better position. I'd also be surprised if Leipzig didn't want to avoid Werner going to Bayern which could also go in any other buying team's favour, especially if Werner is willing to run his contract down and leave on a free.

The starting point for negotiations with Palace would probably be something in the region of what Leicester sold Mahrez for, no matter how stern Leipzig are they won't get that much for Werner.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If this is true,
i hope the daughter gets her looks for the mother!
Well it's a bit self indulgence though in that article...
"They hadn't given me a car, like every other player [had]. Nothing. I'm living in this hell by myself, away from my family, and I thought, 'If this doesn't make me stronger, what will'?"

When asked if it is sometimes forgotten that footballers are human beings, Zaha added: "Yeah, they really do. I explain this to my friends all the time. When I was at United I had [money], but I was still so down and depressed.
He had money and he wants the club to give him a car like every other player. He will need to define the "every other player". From my understanding these fuckers had to buy their own car and he has the money to do so. Not like Zaha came from South America and can't speak a word of English. Not a fan of a player who loves to bitch and moan when he can do things on this own.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member

He had money and he wants the club to give him a car like every other player. He will need to define the "every other player". From my understanding these fuckers had to buy their own car and he has the money to do so. Not like Zaha came from South America and can't speak a word of English. Not a fan of a player who loves to bitch and moan when he can do things on this own.

Admittedly it wasn't for very long,but i watched him a few times live,when he was at Cardiff city on loan,he only played 12 games but in those 12 games he was one of the most useless,lazy,uninterested players i've ever seen play the game.

Ok it could have been that he didn't want to be there but as a professional football player,he was getting paid thousands to do a job and he just wasn't doing it.My overall opinion of the guy isn't a good one,he may seem fast,dribble,score a couple but for me,it's only when it suits him,i'd stay well clear of the guy tbh,cos it's in him to be crap for a lot of money.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road

Maybe, but I get it.

It’s not the value of the car ( or the birthday cake) it’s the courtesy.

I assume he’s not talking about a permenant car, but a loan one until he’s set up, which, yeah, he could hire, but if player a,b,c and d get the use of one, how does player e feel if he doesn’t.

Didn’t LFC loan Klopp a Porsche or something...or was that Rodgers....i remeber it though, I think it might be the ‘done’ thing

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Didn’t LFC loan Klopp a Porsche or something...or was that Rodgers....i remeber it though, I think it might be the ‘done’ thing
Both, until Klopp got his sponsor to hook him up with one (Opel). Rodgers drove around in a Panamera Turbo with blacked out windows and black wheels (yeah, he thinks he's a gangsta').

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
How do Brewster, Wilson and Woodburn compare in terms of their main positions? Would it be possible to keep them all close to the first team next season (even if we sign someone like Timo Werner) ?

I'm a bit concerned about Ben Woodburn. Don't think another loan would be good for him at the moment. He should built up his confidence in the U23 and stay close to Klopp.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
I'm a bit concerned about Ben Woodburn. Don't think another loan would be good for him at the moment. He should built up his confidence in the U23 and stay close to Klopp.
Woodburn is an interesting one. His natural all-round game and skill set would make him the obvious understudy to Firmino; I’d love to see him kept on and trained in that role by the Mighty Shiny Toothed One.