Who would you buy?

Limiescouse

How do Brewster, Wilson and Woodburn compare in terms of their main positions? Would it be possible to keep them all close to the first team next season (even if we sign someone like Timo Werner) ?

I'm a bit concerned about Ben Woodburn. Don't think another loan would be good for him at the moment. He should built up his confidence in the U23 and stay close to Klopp.
At this stage, reserve football for Woodburn would be a career killer. He is a little like Suso, in that there is no obvious role for him in a side...not fast enough to wide player in modern football, doesnt score enough to be a striker, and never really played in midfield. That leaves a number 10, and not only is that a huge ask for a kid, as it's a role that tends to go to more experienced players, few teams play with one. Suso was one of the best players in the world in his age bracket when he was 16-18, and it took him until he was 24 (ish) to really start figuring out how to do it in senior football. I dont think it is realistic to expect Woodburn's trajectory to be any quicker, but even doing that will require him make a decision on what role he can best fill in senior football, get that decision right, and then spend a couple of years working on that and do so in a place that gives him the time, space and minutes to learn. As talented a 17 year old as he was, that is not a high probability scenario.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
The Zaha talk, if we had him in the first 11 I think we're a better team. 4-2-3-1 with Mane one side, Zaha the other, and Bobby behind Salah looks like a devastating team. The pace and directness of our attacking play would be a lot of fun to watch.

The money it would take, and the fact that Zaha seems happy and settled at Palace after failing at United as a kid makes it all extremely unlikely, unless Palace get relegated (which I don't think will happen, but you never know).

At this stage, reserve football for Woodburn would be a career killer. He is a little like Suso, in that there is no obvious role for him in a side...not fast enough to wide player in modern football, doesnt score enough to be a striker, and never really played in midfield. That leaves a number 10, and not only is that a huge ask for a kid, as it's a role that tends to go to more experienced players, few teams play with one. Suso was one of the best players in the world in his age bracket when he was 16-18, and it took him until he was 24 (ish) to really start figuring out how to do it in senior football. I dont think it is realistic to expect Woodburn's trajectory to be any quicker, but even doing that will require him make a decision on what role he can best fill in senior football, get that decision right, and then spend a couple of years working on that and do so in a place that gives him the time, space and minutes to learn. As talented a 17 year old as he was, that is not a high probability scenario.
Yeah I asked about Woodburn in the youth team thread. The fact that he's not blessed with a ton of pace means he'll have to think faster than other players, which will always take longer with a young player thrown into first team football. Part of it will just be the confidence to know that he can do it, which will take games and time. That's why I'm surprised he's not playing for the U23s until we get another loan sorted. It's been a year and a half with very limited game time for him. He played something around 20 games total last year, and has maybe 9 total appearances this year for Shef United and our u23s, most of which were sub appearances at the end of the game. The fact that we don't know what position he'll end up in is not great when you're talking about a 19 year old. What are lower league teams supposed to do with him?

I don't think it's a waste to let a player go and try to impose himself in a game, even at the u23 level. He's only 19. He'll be badly short of match fitness and sharpness, and to expect him to bomb into a championship side on loan and play well right away is probably asking a lot. The kid needs to play, and if he can boost his confidence by getting that sharpness back for the u23s, all the better.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Woodburn is just 6 months older than Brewster. Both are attacking players. Woodburn was supposed to be 'the next big star'. First team experience and full international.

I could be wrong but I have the feeling that the 'Woodburn hype' ended with Brewster winning the World Cup.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Woodburn is just 6 months older than Brewster. Both are attacking players. Woodburn was supposed to be 'the next big star'. First team experience and full international.

I could be wrong but I have the feeling that the 'Woodburn hype' ended with Brewster winning the World Cup.
They play completely different positions. Woodburn may not make it but it has nothing to do with Brewster.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
We probably have to replace and strengthen this summer.

LB - I would like Ryan Sessenong if possible. Its not likely we go spend a fortune on another high profile LB who would need to sit on the bench while waiting his chance against Robertson. I do think Ryan is better than most of our youths in LB and at his age, would be willing to bide his time and compete and rotate in a top team like ours.

Up front 3 is where I think we need strong reinforcements. Sturridge is going, Origi doesn't seem like a viable long term solution for us, Lallana is injury proned and a bid might come in for him. I think we do have space for 2 new players here, Timo Werner and someone like Fekir, quick, hardworking and can score. These 2 plus Wilson who is doing well in Derby could be our front 3 options to compete against Firmino, Mane and Salah.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We probably have to replace and strengthen this summer.

LB - I would like Ryan Sessenong if possible. Its not likely we go spend a fortune on another high profile LB who would need to sit on the bench while waiting his chance against Robertson. I do think Ryan is better than most of our youths in LB and at his age, would be willing to bide his time and compete and rotate in a top team like ours.

Up front 3 is where I think we need strong reinforcements. Sturridge is going, Origi doesn't seem like a viable long term solution for us, Lallana is injury proned and a bid might come in for him. I think we do have space for 2 new players here, Timo Werner and someone like Fekir, quick, hardworking and can score. These 2 plus Wilson who is doing well in Derby could be our front 3 options to compete against Firmino, Mane and Salah.
I actually think Sessegnon would be that second option for the attack as well. So if it was him we landed I think Sessegnon (For half his playing time), Werner/Dybala/alternative (that can play central or wide) and Wilson returning from loan would be all we'd need to add to our 4 most attacking positions. Already have Salah, Mane, Firmino and Shaqiri with Ox and Brewster to come back from injury. On top of that all I would add is a back up keeper because I think Mignolet will be off.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Neves. Neves. Neves.

Please.
Not sure he has the right balance for our double pivot. I might be wrong he could be more defensive than I think but I wouldn't think we could partner him with anyone but Fabinho. It'd be like going back to Mascherano and Alonso who were amazingly well suited to Rafas tactics but I don't think would work in Klopps. Klopps midfield does a lot of work off the ball. It's more than just tackling and planning from deep and I'm not sure a partnership like that would work. Not to mention we'd only be able to field Neves when Fabinho was also available except maybe cup games against lower league sides. Personally, as good as he's showing he may be, I don't see him fitting our needs. If Keita gets up to speed in CM I think we'd have the best group of Cms in the league anyway, maybe not the best individuals but the best group to pick from.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I’d have an eye on Trent coming into the midfield next year. With him, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Henderson and Keita I can’t see us buying another.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I’d have an eye on Trent coming into the midfield next year. With him, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Henderson and Keita I can’t see us buying another.
I'd leave Trent where he is. He could be the best, most influential (but still solid defensively) right back for years for us, possibly best for a long time for England and in the premier league too. Don't see a need to disrupt that potential to try something that might work in midfield. Especially as midfield should be good enough/great with Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Keita (depending on Henderson's fitness/form & Keita finally getting up to speed hopefully).

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Would be a great replacement if Milner's deal doesnt get turned over, otherwise I dont know where he would get a game here now?
Not sure he has the right balance for our double pivot. I might be wrong he could be more defensive than I think but I wouldn't think we could partner him with anyone but Fabinho. It'd be like going back to Mascherano and Alonso who were amazingly well suited to Rafas tactics but I don't think would work in Klopps. Klopps midfield does a lot of work off the ball. It's more than just tackling and planning from deep and I'm not sure a partnership like that would work. Not to mention we'd only be able to field Neves when Fabinho was also available except maybe cup games against lower league sides. Personally, as good as he's showing he may be, I don't see him fitting our needs. If Keita gets up to speed in CM I think we'd have the best group of Cms in the league anyway, maybe not the best individuals but the best group to pick from.
I think he'd struggle in our set up, he has 3 defenders behind him and always a willing runner next to him.
Klopp has shown that he values tactical flexibility. It's not because we are currently witnessing the 4231 played most often that it will necessarily continue like that next season as well. We might use the 433 more again, or go to the 41212, which we used at times last season. Who knows how we will evolve on a tactical level within the next years? I for one can see Neves used in all type of formations, even the 4231.

He has the overall quality for it, that's all. Just like Alonso would adapt and display his qualities under any given manager and any given system.

The comparison with Alonso isn't bad btw, I'm often thinking about it. He has the same ability to play the ball on a sixpence from 60 yards, but more importantly, he has the same wonderful vision allowing him to start promising attacking moves, and the sense for the rhythm of a game. He's maybe not as efficient yet to break up moves from the opposition, but he's still young and will improve in that regard, just like Xabi did. And then, he has that thunderous shot from outside the box, which is a real weapon when used accurately, which he does.

Alonso is one of my all-time preferred players, not only in a red shirt, so I just have got to be interested in this lad! :)

Also, if we don't pick him up, he'll go to Utd, Chelsea or City. That's something I'd not like at all. He'd reinforce any of these teams to no end.

Edit: I should add to the above that I'm thinking about him for a move in the summer, not right now.

GermanRed

Lallana is surely off. I think Milner might do if Leeds come up. I don’t think Ox would be one of the deeper two, and god knows what’s happening with Grujic.
- The 4-3-3 is not dead and i think with Ox back fit we will see it again more often.

- I'm pretty sure Grujic is in Klopps long term plans. Maybe he promised him the squad spot of Milner or Lallana if they leave.

Klopp has proven time and time again that he keeps players longer than we fans might think/want. There is no indication that Lallana could leave at the moment.

Milner brings experience and versatility. Can't see him leave at the moment but yes - promotion to Leeds could do something to him.

You would love Trent in midfield. I would love us to bring in another midfielder but i can't see it happen at the moment.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Klopp has shown that he values tactical flexibility. It's not because we are currently witnessing the 4231 played most often that it will necessarily continue like that next season as well. We might use the 433 more again, or go to the 41212, which we used at times last season. Who knows how we will evolve on a tactical level within the next years? I for one can see Neves used in all type of formations, even the 4231.

He has the overall quality for it, that's all. Just like Alonso would adapt and display his qualities under any given manager and any given system.

The comparison with Alonso isn't bad btw, I'm often thinking about it. He has the same ability to play the ball on a sixpence from 60 yards, but more importantly, he has the same wonderful vision allowing him to start promising attacking moves, and the sense for the rhythm of a game. He's maybe not as efficient yet to break up moves from the opposition, but he's still young and will improve in that regard, just like Xabi did. And then, he has that thunderous shot from outside the box, which is a real weapon when used accurately, which he does.

Alonso is one of my all-time preferred players, not only in a red shirt, so I just have got to be interested in this lad! :)

Also, if we don't pick him up, he'll go to Utd, Chelsea or City. That's something I'd not like at all. He'd reinforce any of these teams to no end.
I just think he looks good because they play counter attacking football. Long diagonal balls only work when you have the space to work it into. We typically have 60% + possession so long slow balls aren't what we need to beat low blocks, quick 1 touch football is.

Although for Porto he was more box to box so it may simply be he has (as you say) adapted to how Wolves play.

Saying that city most certainly will have a look now they lost De Jong to Barca.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I'd leave Trent where he is. He could be the best, most influential (but still solid defensively) right back for years for us, possibly best for a long time for England and in the premier league too. Don't see a need to disrupt that potential to try something that might work in midfield. Especially as midfield should be good enough/great with Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Keita (depending on Henderson's fitness/form & Keita finally getting up to speed hopefully).
He can still play right back.

I’d be looking to bring in Wan-Bissaka. The lad is a beast. Going to be an unbelievable player, and I rate him higher than Trent at Right Back. Him and Trent would share Right Back duties and Trent would also get midfield appearances to keep his game time topped up (with a mind that, in all likelihood, he’ll be a permanent midfielder by the time he’s about 24)

I think these are the kind of moves we need to make - where you can get depth in a position, without anyone feeling like they’ve been short-changed for games

We’re going to need to sort some cover for Robertson this summer, and I’ve no idea how we cover that one, because nobody decent is coming in to get a game when Andy ‘The Terminator’ Robertson needs a rest. Lloyd Kelly (who can cover CB as well) could be an option, as could Sessegnon, who is probably more of a left winger, and has that position to go at as well.

GermanRed

I haven’t seen anything from Grujic that suggests he is going to make it here.
He was signed by Klopp for the future. Grujic will be 23 soon. I'm pretty sure many PL teams would have taken him on loan but Klopp told him to go to Berlin. Getting praise by Berlin manager regularly. He is probably their best player - most influential as it seems they can only win games with him.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
The boy cost £50m, and I really don't think he is worth that sort of money.
Its hard to watch some of the prices quoted at times, ridiculous. But if it is a position we need, then its either pay it, get from our youth which I do not see someone good enough now to come in for Robertson or count on us finding another Robertson on the cheap.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
He was signed by Klopp for the future. Grujic will be 23 soon. I'm pretty sure many PL teams would have taken him on loan but Klopp told him to go to Berlin. Getting praise by Berlin manager regularly. He is probably their best player - most influential as it seems they can only win games with him.
23 isn’t ‘for the future’. Half our team is under that age.

Glad he is doing well at Berlin, but it’s still a long road to our team. If he did come back, I don’t think he’ll be getting a game ahead of the five lads I mentioned.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
23 isn’t ‘for the future’. Half our team is under that age.

Glad he is doing well at Berlin, but it’s still a long road to our team. If he did come back, I don’t think he’ll be getting a game ahead of the five lads I mentioned.
Seems to have had a hell of a time with injuries since he came here as well. He was a decent potential signing at the stage of development we were at at that time, but I think as with some other players as a squad we've outpaced him and it's hard to really envisage where he fits in now. Wouldn't be surprised if he's sold on a permanent in the summer, maybe even to Hertha as it sounds like they like him.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Its hard to watch some of the prices quoted at times, ridiculous. But if it is a position we need, then its either pay it, get from our youth which I do not see someone good enough now to come in for Robertson or count on us finding another Robertson on the cheap.
Here's the thing, Robertson is only 24 and probably with the way he plays would have 4-6 years left in his tank (hopefully taking some pointers from Milner). So while you don't see anyone good enough in our youth setup to take over from Robertson right now, I also don't think Sessegnon is a must have either because we will essentially be buying an "ok" player with the money which we could have easily gone out and find ourselves a better alternative. An alternative that can be a proper backup for Robertson.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
He can still play right back.

I’d be looking to bring in Wan-Bissaka. The lad is a beast. Going to be an unbelievable player, and I rate him higher than Trent at Right Back. Him and Trent would share Right Back duties and Trent would also get midfield appearances to keep his game time topped up (with a mind that, in all likelihood, he’ll be a permanent midfielder by the time he’s about 24)

I think these are the kind of moves we need to make - where you can get depth in a position, without anyone feeling like they’ve been short-changed for games

We’re going to need to sort some cover for Robertson this summer, and I’ve no idea how we cover that one, because nobody decent is coming in to get a game when Andy ‘The Terminator’ Robertson needs a rest. Lloyd Kelly (who can cover CB as well) could be an option, as could Sessegnon, who is probably more of a left winger, and has that position to go at as well.
We probably just see things differently. RB under Klopp is more the traditional right winger under most other guys. It's not just an after thought like full backs were for years it's one of the most important on the pitch in my opinion. I also think it's essential that the player in that position can provide offensively. With that said Trent to me is quite possibly the best right back in the league. As defensive as they come and more offensive than any but the most kamikaze of flying wing backs (that usually require fielding a back 3/5). The other lad has potential but he has a lot to work on in his game and would probably be torn apart under our tactics at this stage. All my opinion but I honestly don't understand why anyone would move Trent. It'd be like moving Gomez back to left back permanently because it was once thought he could do it despite how impressive he has been at CB.

Limiescouse

We probably just see things differently. RB under Klopp is more the traditional right winger under most other guys. It's not just an after thought like full backs were for years it's one of the most important on the pitch in my opinion. I also think it's essential that the player in that position can provide offensively. With that said Trent to me is quite possibly the best right back in the league. As defensive as they come and more offensive than any but the most kamikaze of flying wing backs (that usually require fielding a back 3/5). The other lad has potential but he has a lot to work on in his game and would probably be torn apart under our tactics at this stage. All my opinion but I honestly don't understand why anyone would move Trent. It'd be like moving Gomez back to left back permanently because it was once thought he could do it despite how impressive he has been at CB.
We've had about 5 years of quality RB play in the last 25 years. Trent is already very good and has the ability to be the best in the world. I dont get why anyone would even consider moving him?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
It’s interesting that fullback seems to be the path that Klopp seems to use to get kids into the side, and while some have said that it’s because the position doesn’t matter, I think it’s because the position gives you a really good grounding across a few areas, while still giving a bit of cover. Trent and Gomez have come in a full back, Camacho is probably going to get time there, Hoever will probably start at full back before he is trusted in the centre.

That said, there has been plenty of discussion about Trent’s eventual move into the middle, and I see it happening at some point, even if not next season. You can see from his ability on the ball, his passing range, his vision, that he has everything he needs to play there. It’s probably now a matter of experience and stature. I wasn’t suggesting he never plays right back again - but I think this season he should be spending a good proportion of his time in the middle.

I can remember another Liverpool midfielder who started at full-back doing alright for us. :)

I don’t see Wan-Bissaka getting torn apart by our tactics. Any player is going to have to adjust, given the exacting nature of Klopp’s tactics, and I would expect him to spend time outside the team just as Robertson had to.

To throw the question back at you, if you have right back locked up by Trent (I don’t want to see Gomez there anymore) how to you go about bringing in cover? We could have the same problem we’re going to have at left back, where anyone decent is going to give it a swerve because the spot is nailed down by Robertson.