Who would you buy?

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
We've had about 5 years of quality RB play in the last 25 years. Trent is already very good and has the ability to be the best in the world. I dont get why anyone would even consider moving him?
That Gerrard kid looks a prospect at Right Back. I hope they don’t try and make a midfielder of him.

Limiescouse

That Gerrard kid looks a prospect at Right Back. I hope they don’t try and make a midfielder of him.
He had about 2 sub appearances there. he also wasnt played at RB in the youth in preparation for his promotion to the senior team and the role he would likely best fit at that level.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
He had about 2 sub appearances there. he also wasnt played at RB in the youth in preparation for his promotion to the senior team and the role he would likely best fit at that level.
I know, I’m just being flippant.

Seriously though, I think Trent will move to midfield before long. It’s where he wants to be, and if he is serious about captaining the side (which he has said is his dream) it’s a lot more likely he’ll do that from the middle than full back.

I see it as better to get in a really good quaility right-back, who you can promise games by starting to give Trent time in midfield, than buy some lad who is happy to sit on the bench and collect his wages.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Why would you want to take the 1st choice RB who is also one of the hottest prospects in world football and play him in central midfield:shocked:
Do I need to say again? I’ve already said a lot in the matter. Can you just read the previous posts? Fine to disagree.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Final point. This is also about what Trent wants too. He isn’t a chess piece. He has a say in this too. He might be a boss Right Back, but if he wants to play centre mid, they’ll come a point where he’ll start asking the question of the club.

Players changing positions on their career is entirely normal. Henderson started of as a right winger. Salah is now playing centre forward, after playing wide to this point. Carragher started as a midfielder, played both full back positions, and eventually settled in defence. Lahm started as a world class fullback, and turned into a world class midfielder. Gareth Barry came through at Billa as a full back and ended up in Cities midfield. Wijnaldum was a number ten, and he’s no playing deep for us.

Just because Trent is a full back now, doesn’t mean he’ll be one forever. And the idea that Trent is number 1 world class at FB is massively overstated. I’ve read much grumbling on here that he has often been the weak link in our defence, and it’s certainly true that in the bigger games over the last couple of seasons Klopp has preferred to play Gomez (not that I agree with him on that)

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Neves. Neves. Neves.

Please.
Yes Hope, I've mentioned this lad before. He's class isn't he? Has real vision and is able to pick out a pass, added to his ability to score long range screamers he would be a nice addition to our midfield. I really think he could be a big player for us.

However,
How much would he cost?
Do we have room for him?

I suppose Milner and Lallana may not be first teamers for much longer, then we have to consider Wilson and Grujic, will they return and play a part, do these guys have futures at LFC? Then we have Naby, I'm fairly certain when he settles he will nail down a place along with Fabinho.

Can see him going to Spain eventually.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
@Mascot88 lots of points to address so will try and keep it to one post.

1st the skills you list Trent as having that make him suited to what you believe is needed in CM are the skills I believe are essential for the full backs in a Klopp side.

2nd although I've got no problem with Gomez at RB you seem to. Wan-Bissaka is closer to Gomez in profile than Trent right now from what limited exposure I've had to see of him.

3rd those players you list as changing positions successfully mostly did it once before they were 25 and found "their" position, they didn't then move back to other positions they'd never really mastered after impressing in new positions. Those that did it later on in their careers regularly did it due to needing to learn less physically demanding roles as they got older.

4th Trent won't fail to get the captaincy because he's a full back. Definitely not under Klopp. If he's the best option he'll get it regardless of position.

5th Trent seems pretty damn happy with everything at the moment it's a stretch to say the least to think he'll start kicking off over playing position. If he writes himself into the record books as one of the best right backs ever for us and England do you really think he'll regret his career?

6th Wan-Bissaka could be that back up but you don't buy an inferior player to replace your starter.

7th what kids has Klopp blooded at full back? Hoever has only ever played CB. Camacho seems to be finding a new position not really being blooded. Trent was a full back already and so was Gomez when Klopp arrived. At most you can argue he held back Gomez from moving to CB by a few months after Trent established himself at RB and Joe was still his back up. But that was probably because Klopp would have wanted a preseason working with Joe at CB before going with it.

Edit 8th sorry one forgot. As I've pointed out before the "weakest link" in one of the best defences seen in England's top flight is not necessarily a bad defender. He will have the odd shaky performance. Especially at his age.

Last edited:

Dave-D

Do I need to say again? I’ve already said a lot in the matter. Can you just read the previous posts? Fine to disagree.
Yes he may well have played CM at youth levels but I’ve never heard him personally say or rumours that he sees his future at CM and not RB.

It’s not like when Milner was LB everyone knew he didn’t want to play LB but he’s a model professional who knew that the needs of the team came before his own so he kept his head down and did it for a season.

My personal opinion is he’s a quality RB with a lot of scope for improvement and he sees himself as a RB. I wouldn’t be pushing him out of the position he has made his own and put him in CM.
If the quality in CM isn’t good enough buy better don’t move 1st choice RB there to fill a gap.

That’s make take on the subject and I’m happy to leave it there if you are.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

1st the skills you list Trent as having that make him suited to what you believe is needed in CM are the skills I believe are essential for the full backs in a Klopp side.

2nd although I've got no problem with Gomez at RB you seem to. Wan-Bissaka is closer to Gomez in profile than Trent right now from what limited exposure I've had to see of him.

3rd those players you list as changing positions successfully mostly did it once before they were 25 and found "their" position, they didn't then move back to other positions they'd never really mastered after impressing in new positions. Those that did it later on in their careers regularly did it due to needing to learn less physically demanding roles as they got older.

4th Trent won't fail to get the captaincy because he's a full back. Definitely not under Klopp. If he's the best option he'll get it regardless of position.

5th Trent seems pretty damn happy with everything at the moment it's a stretch to say the least to think he'll start kicking off over playing position. If he writes himself into the record books as one of the best right backs ever for us and England do you really think he'll regret his career?

6th Wan-Bissaka could be that back up but you don't buy an inferior player to replace your starter.

7th what kids has Klopp blooded at full back? Hoever has only ever played CB. Camacho seems to be finding a new position not really being blooded. Trent was a full back already and so was Gomez when Klopp arrived. At most you can argue he held back Gomez from moving to CB by a few months after Trent established himself at RB and Joe was still his back up. But that was probably because Klopp would have wanted a preseason working with Joe at CB before going with it.

Edit 8th sorry one forgot. As I've pointed out before the "weakest link" in one of the best defences seen in England's top flight is not necessarily a bad defender. He will have the odd shaky performance. Especially at his age.
We’ll see where he ends up, mate. I appreciate your points and I’m certainly not going to complain if we have a world class Right Back on our hands.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Yes Hope, I've mentioned this lad before. He's class isn't he? Has real vision and is able to pick out a pass, added to his ability to score long range screamers he would be a nice addition to our midfield. I really think he could be a big player for us.

However,
How much would he cost?
Do we have room for him?

I suppose Milner and Lallana may not be first teamers for much longer, then we have to consider Wilson and Grujic, will they return and play a part, do these guys have futures at LFC? Then we have Naby, I'm fairly certain when he settles he will nail down a place along with Fabinho.

Can see him going to Spain eventually.
He'd cost a lot. He's only 21 and has already taken the leader mantle in Wolves' midfield. To think that this is his first season in the PL, and seeing the way he performs, is a sign that this lad not only has class but also a head which allows him to adapt quickly to new circumstances. He'll be sought after by the biggest European clubs from next summer on, that's for sure.

We'd have plenty of room for such a quality player. I wrote about that earlier, so I'll not repeat myself. But yeah, no doubt we'd have room for such a player. He'd be 22 when he joins us in the summer, so pretty much the ideal age and experience-level to be able to play a role with us.

Finally, you could be right about him joining Spain eventually. I just hope that that will be the case if we don't get him.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

I agree with you and disagree with Mascott on this.

Whilst I'm sure Trent would be an excellent midfielder, he is on his way to becoming one of the best fullbacks in world football. Why would you even change that? Fro example Ashley Cole (whilst a twat) is rated as one of the most important players of the great Chelsea side.

Fullbacks are so so important in our system, we suffer when we don't have Robertson or Trent playing in my opinion. The attacking threat and options they provide take us from a good team to an excellent one.

I think we are bloody lucky to have the best right and left backs in the League (and soon to be world football).

Kopstar

★★★★★★
We want world class players in every position. Players that can be the difference in any particular game.

Trent could be that player at RB. Could he also be very good in midfield? Absolutely. Could he be world class there? I'm not so sure.

If it's a choice between being a world class RB for a Liverpool team full of other world class players and challenging on all fronts, and moving elsewhere to a lower team to be a very good central midfielder, then I'd hope any player would choose the first option, particularly a local red.

No reason he couldn't captain the team from right back either. But in order to captain the team he first needs to be in it and I fancy his chances of doing that long-term playing at RB more than I do as a centre mid.

There are plenty of other examples of players that would have been very good in midfield but instead were world class full-backs; Maldini, Lahm, Alaba, Alberto, Neal, Facchetti, Zanetti, Kennedy.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Nice to see you coming around to the view that the club went for Shaqiri instead of Fekir because he was cheaper.
Is that what you seriously believe? That the owners left a potential player already with an intro video holding his dick at the last minute because there was someone cheaper?

I 100% think Shaq was a replacement for Fekir. For reasons not 100% known we had to pull out of the Fekir deal and got our secondary target ( timeline matches).

But in truth the position Shaq was brought in for it didn't really work early on. He was very poor as a wide forward early on which is why Klopp started playing him in the middle for most of his games until he bedded in. I still think he plays much better in the middle. Which will be interesting when Ox comes back next season.

As for what I think we need, it's a wide forward capable of playing in the Shaq/Mane positions But in particular as a CF. Even with Salah and Bobby, I don't Like the idea of relying on Rhian slotting in there as third choice given his recent injury regardless of his talent.

Like every one of Klopp's signings forward of the defensive line, we won't even look at a player only capable of playing one position. We'll have a raft of outgoings this summer and I expect us to replace them with one or two players. Imo the whole design is to seriously shrink the squad size but still have cover maybe 4 players deep in every position.

I wouldn't actually be shocked if Wilson was sold in the summer for this simple fact. He really needs to prove that he's not a one dimensional player for Klopp to even take notice.

I think Solanke was an odd purchase. I truly believe, even though Klopp was willing to give him time to prove himself , Big Dom was a 'moneyball' signing (in hindsight) - we saw a young player out of contract, not really designed for our system in the same way Origi and Studge aren't, and with the thought, 'well if it doesn't work out, he's English and we'll make money off him'. It was a bit of a Chelsea moment in truth.

Last edited:

RedForever2014

Re TAA, long way to go before he's viewed as world class in any capacity.

But for sure he needs to prove himself at full back before he's even considered for midfield.

I see Grujic ahead of him as the next of our younger midfielders to come through. Having Grujic at the club next season perfectly fits the versatility requirement, as it releases Fabinho to cover defence with a like for like midfielder to come in.

I'd also see Grujic and Fabinho as a pair totally dominating certain sides.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Is that what you seriously believe? That the owners left a potential player already with an intro video holding his dick at the last minute because there was someone cheaper?

I 100% think Shaq was a replacement for Fekir. For reasons not 100% known we had to pull out of the Fekir deal and got our secondary target ( timeline matches).

But in truth the position Shaq was brought in for it didn't really work early on. He was very poor as a wide forward early on which is why Klopp started playing him in the middle for most of his games until he bedded in. I still think he plays much better in the middle. Which will be interesting when Ox comes back next season.

As for what I think we need, it's a wide forward capable of playing in the Shaq/Mane positions But in particular as a CF. Even with Salah and Bobby, I don't Like the idea of relying on Rhian slotting in there as third choice given his recent injury regardless of his talent.

Like every one of Klopp's signings forward of the defensive line, we won't even look at a player only capable of playing one position. We'll have a raft of outgoings this summer and I expect us to replace them with one or two players. Imo the whole design is to seriously shrink the squad size but still have cover maybe 4 players deep in every position.

I think Solanke was an odd purchase. I truly believe, even though Klopp was willing to give him time to prove himself , Big Dom was a 'moneyball' signing (in hindsight) - we saw a young player out of contract, not really designed for our system in the same way Origi and Studge aren't, and with the thought, 'well if it doesn't work out, he's English and we'll make money off him'. It was a bit of a Chelsea moment in truth.

I wouldn't actually be shocked if Wilson was sold in the summer for this simple fact. He really needs to prove that he's not a one dimensional player for Klopp to even take notice.
The football index which rates estimated transfer value reckons Shaqiri is a £50mil player. So it just shows we got a bargain, and value doesn't always represent quality. Robertson is a prime example of this.

soberphobia

I am looking forward to Gruic coming back. 2 seasons on loan in diffeerent leagues and been good for both sides means he will come back a more rounded player. Interesting that Cardiff wanted him again and his new manager couldn't be more effusive in his praise if he tried. As for buying I still think Werner fits us really well but i have faith in the club these days so I am not bothered by transfers so much.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Grujic still looks very pedestrian to me (albeit I am watching BoyWunder youtube videos).
I've only seen him play in the flesh once and he was awful, so that hasn't left me with a great impression of him. I haven't seen any of his games over the last year though.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Grujic still looks very pedestrian to me (albeit I am watching BoyWunder youtube videos).
Yeah, those little clips only show touches on the ball. Grujic is getting high praises from Dardai. We don't have a lot of open spots in our CM garrison for next season. Think he might go on another loan unless something serious happens.

vjcpatriot

With Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Wijnaldum, and Milner, here it was always going to be hard for a young lad like Grujic to break into the side. He needs to up his game considerably just to crack the rotation.

Even a talented player like Keita has struggled at times. One player I have my eye on if we go for a midfielder is Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. The lad is 6'3 and looks like he can do everything at a high level. Seems very talented, could be the next Pogba. But also very pricey. We're not hurting at midfield but if Savic is the real deal, I'm not averse to seeing Liverpool splash the cash on him next season.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
I'm with Mascott on TAA. I think he will eventually get a shot at CM. Maybe he takes his chance or maybe he'll end up as a right back, but he's played CM a few times at the end of last year I believe. He'll see more time there eventually.

I'm not sure why people would think he'd be a world class RB but an average CM. They worked with him for a year or so at RB so they could get him into the team, they thought so highly of him. Who's to say when he's 23 or 24 he won't be a world class CM type? He's tall, very athletic, composed on the ball, etc.

If it comes down to it, I'd rather have a world beater at CM then a world beater at RB, but wouldn't complain about either. :well done:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
My current shopping list:

Belotti
Icardi
Werner
Havertz
Aour
Lozano
Sessegnon
Lloyd Kelly
Hudson-Odoi
Militao
De Ligt
Wan-Bissaka

If I could I'd replace the outgoing Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Solanke, Lallana, Markovic, Kent, Moreno, Matip, Lovren, Clyne, Grujic with

£80m-£100m?

Werner, Lozano, Havertz, Sessegnon, De Ligt and Wan-Bissaka

~£245m? [50, 40, 40, 35, 60, 20?]

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Trent in midfield? I think it might happen. I don't think it will happen soon. And I don't think, looking at it now, that it necessarily needs to happen one day. Still think it's closer that he becomes an important RB than an important midfielder. What I do think is that he will need support while he is still developing at RB. Not sure if we can rely on Gomez (someone who at the start of this season played better at CB than both Lovren and Matip ever did for us) covering both positions with his niggles and also stylistically what we have if Trent (who can struggle himself if he "has to" play all games).

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'm with Mascott on TAA. I think he will eventually get a shot at CM. Maybe he takes his chance or maybe he'll end up as a right back, but he's played CM a few times at the end of last year I believe. He'll see more time there eventually.

I'm not sure why people would think he'd be a world class RB but an average CM. They worked with him for a year or so at RB so they could get him into the team, they thought so highly of him. Who's to say when he's 23 or 24 he won't be a world class CM type? He's tall, very athletic, composed on the ball, etc.

If it comes down to it, I'd rather have a world beater at CM then a world beater at RB, but wouldn't complain about either. :well done:
Hate to clog up the discussion with my opinions but I'll try and give a thorough answer.

Nobody knows how good a CM he'd be. He could become world class, he could stink the place out or anything in between.

However we do know he's playing as one of the best right backs the Premier League has seen over the last few years. And he's still only 20.

Even if he doesn't develop any more and remains a bit inconsistent here and there he would still be seen as a top notch right back. If this is Trent as a finished product and he remains our home grown first choice right back for the rest of his career I doubt we'd regret it and it wouldn't stop us competing at an elite level. And that's ignoring the fact that he's 20 and working with Klopp. The potential for the kid to develop further is there.

To move him into midfield is a gamble on two fronts.

First he'd have to improve our midfield for it to even be worth considering. If he doesn't take to it then could hurt his confidence, progression and even standing with the fans. It could become another Lucas situation where some fans learn to resent him for his limitations. Lucas got an injury and performed at different levels either side of it but it could work similar if Trent isn't as good after a position move.

There's no way to guarantee he'll be as good as we have in CM let alone improve it. He might do but it's not a risk we need to take. Our midfield is a work in progress that's developing as the season continues and might well become great of its own accord with the personnel already involved in it. There's also quite a few great Cms out there if we did need to add a new one.

Next you've got the gamble at right back. You've got to find, bring in and integrate one as good as Trent or we are damaging our side. Full back under Klopp is a demanding position. Have to be as defensively sound as a traditional full back but as offensively influential as a top wing back.

We might well struggle to find a player we can buy that comes close to matching Trent on both counts as most full backs meet the "failed winger or failed CB" stereotype these days.

Final point on this is I think a lot are misunderstanding what Klopp wants from CM. Suggestions of Trent or Neves in CM seem a lot more appropriate for a Rafa midfield with an Alonso style playmaker pinging the ball around from deep. Where is that player in Klopps midfield? He likes those balls to be in players arsenals but it's not something they do all the time, he's not bought any players like that. More tempo setters and recyclers than playmakers. I think people are looking for players to do a job they miss seeing done instead of what Klopp actually wants and targets/buys/uses.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Hate to clog up the discussion with my opinions but I'll try and give a thorough answer.

Nobody knows how good a CM he'd be. He could become world class, he could stink the place out or anything in between.

However we do know he's playing as one of the best right backs the Premier League has seen over the last few years. And he's still only 20.

Even if he doesn't develop any more and remains a bit inconsistent here and there he would still be seen as a top notch right back. If this is Trent as a finished product and he remains our home grown first choice right back for the rest of his career I doubt we'd regret it and it wouldn't stop us competing at an elite level. And that's ignoring the fact that he's 20 and working with Klopp. The potential for the kid to develop further is there.

First he'd have to improve our midfield for it to even be worth considering. If he doesn't take to it then could hurt his confidence, progression and even standing with the fans. It could become another Lucas situation where some fans learn to resent him for his limitations. Lucas got an injury and performed at different levels either side of it but it could work similar if Trent isn't as good after a position move.

There's no way to guarantee he'll be as good as we have in CM let alone improve it. He might do but it's not a risk we need to take. Our midfield is a work in progress that's developing as the season continues and might well become great of its own accord with the personnel already involved in it. There's also quite a few great Cms out there if we did need to add a new one.

Next you've got the gamble at right back. You've got to find, bring in and integrate one as good as Trent or we are damaging our side. Full back under Klopp is a demanding position. Have to be as defensively sound as a traditional full back but as offensively influential as a top wing back.

We might well struggle to find a player we can buy that comes close to matching Trent on both counts as most full backs meet the "failed winger or failed CB" stereotype these days.

Final point on this is I think a lot are misunderstanding what Klopp wants from CM. Suggestions of Trent or Neves in CM seem a lot more appropriate for a Rafa midfield with an Alonso style playmaker pinging the ball around from deep. Where is that player in Klopps midfield? He likes those balls to be in players arsenals but it's not something they do all the time, he's not bought any players like that. More tempo setters and recyclers than playmakers. I think people are looking for players to do a job they miss seeing done instead of what Klopp actually wants and targets/buys/uses.
I think a lot of fans would like us to sign Wan Bassa (is that his name?) from Palace, which may be speeding up Trent's moving of position in their minds. While i understand the logic, i'm just not sure i see it happening either.

I dont see Hendo, Gini or Fabinho moving on this summer and expect them to be starting mids. And, it would just seem odd to move Trent to the bench when he has been really good at full back. I would think Trent remains starting full back - and if Klopp thinks his future is midfield then gradually easing him in for the odd game.

I think the bulk of our funds will be going on the forward(s) this summer. We need at least one. Both to reinforce our options and allow us to rest players more frequently while also ensuring we are covered should one wish to leave for another club in future seasons, without panicking about replacements.

I expect much of the squad spaces will be filled out by young players coming through but may still require the purchase of the odd filler (who would be most likely a young talented player)

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

I understand all the things that may not work, but a lot of that argument is born from fear that it won't work. I don't think klopp will be scared. I'm not saying throw TAA in CM tomorrow, but let's see where he is 4 years from now. I'd place (very small, I'm not really a gambling man) wager that he gets his chance at CM. It'll be up to him to see if he stays there or continues as a very good RB.

RedForever2014

Gomez is going to be out much longer than expected. Even though the recent injuries to Matip and Gomez were impact injuries, it doesn't change the fact that they are injury prone, as is Lovren.

Three of our four centre backs are injury prone, we are over reliant on the 4th and with no direct cover for the currently injured TAA, our defence is under serious strain. If the plan is to cover the defence with midfielders, that means we will be light in rotation options in midfield.

In short, our squad is too light, too many are injury prone, and a few can't contribute to the level required to offer real rotation options in must win matches.

Our chances of maintaining both a PL and CL challenge are under threat because of this.

We should have added to the squad in January.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I understand all the things that may not work, but a lot of that argument is born from fear that it won't work. I don't think klopp will be scared. I'm not saying throw TAA in CM tomorrow, but let's see where he is 4 years from now. I'd place (very small, I'm not really a gambling man) wager that he gets his chance at CM. It'll be up to him to see if he stays there or continues as a very good RB.
Fear or not there's got to be something to gain. What would we gain by moving Trent? We might be able to sign a RB as good as him but I don't see many out there for sale and obviously available. Would it improve our midfield to do it? He doesn't really play how Klopp wants his Cms to play so he'd have to change and evolve as a player to fit in. It's no small feat. I just see us damaging ourselves at right back, ending up with Trent on the bench instead of starting and I really don't see it happening. I can see him being used there as emergency cover for injuries that's about it.