• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

JMac8

I really hope we win the league, it's not in my interests for us not to, I wouldn't get pleasure from saying I told you so.

But personally I think injuries will do for us, and I think we'll bottle it in the end.

Frankly, if any of Alisson, VVD, Salah, Bobby or Mane decided they'd have a better chance of consistently winning things elsewhere I'd agree with them and wish them well.
These are unbelievable statements from a ‘fan’ on a fan forum. Seriously, why do you even bother if everything makes you so miserable?

sms1986

These are unbelievable statements from a ‘fan’ on a fan forum. Seriously, why do you even bother if everything makes you so miserable?
I used to post on RAWK and there's some miserable sods on there, they were never happy unless they had something to whinge about. Of course, you never saw them in half-time/full-time threads if we won, but as soon as we were losing or lost, they would be flooding into the thread (the "excuse" was that there was more to talk about). I never understood those posters, you can't expect 100% positivity from everyone at all times but being 100% negative all the time must be so exhausting.

RedForever2014

You moan more than my fucking wife! (and i dont mean when we're in the bedroom)

If you cant take any pleasure out of being top of the league then i dont know why you bother watching football. If id have said to you at the start of the season we'd be top of the league at the beginning of February youd have snatched my fucking hand off. I, like many others expected us and everybody else to be chasing city!

Just give your constant negativity a rest for 5 mins and enjoy football for a change. You neg me out with your constant complaining about this and that!

I really hope to win the league as i was only 11 or 12 the last time we won it. Ill be ecstatic if we do. But you're now making me think id rather rub it in your face if we do! That says something about you more than it does me.

If we do win it and i know its a big 'if'. But if we do just think of all the hours you've wasted typing negative shit all season.

Try to enjoy mate. Lifes to short.

(And please dont respond about clyne or not signing someone in January. Ive read the same posts a few hundred times already)

(Oh....or about fsg taking money out of the club. Those cheeky cunts wanting a return on their investment)
I agree that there are more important things in life than football, good and bad.

I've been lucky enough to have lived a good life, great career, travelled the world, good standard of living. I've also, like everyone, had trials and tribulations, family deaths and so forth.

For me, Liverpool Football Club has been a constant backdrop throughout, a constant friend. The club is my friend, those who work for it and own it are merely the servants to it.

I went to nearly every match from the mid 80s to early 90s, then went less as my career took over and took me overseas, but I still went a lot from the early 90s to the mid 00s and now go when I can.

I saw first hand us winning titles, the double in 86 at Wembley, the defeat to Arsenal in the League Cup in 87, the glorious title of 88 but the defeat to Wimbledon in the FA Cup Final that year. The despair of Hillsborough, the joy of the FA Cup win that followed then the last kick of the season defeat to Arsenal. I was sat in the Kemlyn Road Stand the day we won our last league title in 1990 and witnessed the calamity of the FA Cup semi final defeat to Palace. The odd cup in the 90s, the joy of 2001 and those glorious trips to Cardiff.

I need no lectures from anyone about what it means to follow LFC, what it costs to do so, what it takes to do so. I have spent my pounds, shillings and pence, I've devoted my time to the club, I've honoured the fallen at countless April memorial services.

Of course I enjoy seeing us do well, of course I want us to do well.

I accept that FSG have done good things, I think Klopp's a great manager, I know things aren't easy, especially given the competitive landscape.

But I'll call out issues when I see them. And I see the exact same complacency, questionable judgment and false economy now that has hindered us in the past.

I believe we've shot ourselves in the foot in not strengthening this January and really hope it doesn't cost us. The injury issues were evident, historical and current. We saw how results dipped during the intense September sequence when we couldn't rotate the front three.

Sometimes small things are very indicative, and to me the Clyne decision was indicative of complacency, poor judgement and false economy.

And yes, FSG are entitled to take money out of the club, but when you've a real chance to step over the line to actually accomplishing something, and when extra investment would help bring that about, I believe it's short termism. Others will say the money is there regardless, that it's not connected, but my belief is that LFC is being run to a tight new spend budget that is less than it should be.

In 10 years time, I'll place a large bet that LFC has won less than United, City and Chelsea from this point because of it.

So sneer away, take the piss and try and insinuate things about what I am because I happen to have a certain view on here. I'll flip that round and say it says more about your parochial mind than about my questioning one.

Anyways I've said my piece, I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Red over the water

It’s not an unreasonable point to say that we should have kept Clyne. I would have preferred that too. However...

Once the point has been made, once or twice, we should probably move on. There’s nothing we can do about it now, he’s on loan, Klopp didn’t fancy him enough to either play him more when he was here, or keep him around when Cardiff and then Bournemouth came in for him.

It’s fair game to give considered criticism to the manager. We all love him but Klopp is not without error. Thankfully what he brings massively outweighs any possible blind spot we might think we see.

So, what are his right back options?

TAA - should be back soon
Milner - has tended to be a dependable utility player wherever he is deployed
Fabinho - plays there for Brazil, but maybe we lose something in midfield
Camacho - highly rated, we turned down good money from Portugal to keep hold of him
Hoever - highly rated and has risen through the ranks rapidly
Henderson - did OK against Leicester, has a decent cross and got up and down the flank

Klopp has form for giving young players a go. He also has some versatile midfielders to plug in as needed.

It’s fair enough to disagree on him letting Clyne leave, (I’d have kept him around too) but we can’t keep overstating it, and fairness demands we need to see the other options the manager has at his disposal, which I’ve attempted to list.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I agree that there are more important things in life than football, good and bad.

I've been lucky enough to have lived a good life, great career, travelled the world, good standard of living. I've also, like everyone, had trials and tribulations, family deaths and so forth.

For me, Liverpool Football Club has been a constant backdrop throughout, a constant friend. The club is my friend, those who work for it and own it are merely the servants to it.

I went to nearly every match from the mid 80s to early 90s, then went less as my career took over and took me overseas, but I still went a lot from the early 90s to the mid 00s and now go when I can.

I saw first hand us winning titles, the double in 86 at Wembley, the defeat to Arsenal in the League Cup in 87, the glorious title of 88 but the defeat to Wimbledon in the FA Cup Final that year. The despair of Hillsborough, the joy of the FA Cup win that followed then the last kick of the season defeat to Arsenal. I was sat in the Kemlyn Road Stand the day we won our last league title in 1990 and witnessed the calamity of the FA Cup semi final defeat to Palace. The odd cup in the 90s, the joy of 2001 and those glorious trips to Cardiff.

I need no lectures from anyone about what it means to follow LFC, what it costs to do so, what it takes to do so. I have spent my pounds, shillings and pence, I've devoted my time to the club, I've honoured the fallen at countless April memorial services.

I accept that FSG have done good things, I think Klopp's a great manager, I know things aren't easy, especially given the competitive landscape.

But I'll call out issues when I see them. And I see the exact same complacency, questionable judgment and false economy now that has hindered us in the past.

I believe we've shot ourselves in the foot in not strengthening this January and really hope it doesn't cost us. The injury issues were evidence, historical and current. We saw how results dipped during the intense September sequence when we couldn't rotate the front three.

Sometimes small things are very indicative, and to me the Clyne decisions was indicative of complacency, poor judgement and false economy.

And yes, FSG are entitled to take money out of the club, but when you've a real chance to step over the line to actual accomplish something, and when extra investment would help bring that about, I believe it's short termism. Others will say the money is there regardless, that it's not connected, but my belief is that LFC is being run to a tight new spend budget that is less than it should be.

In 10 years time, I'll place a large bet that LFC has won less than United, City and Chelsea from this point because of it.

So sneer away, take the piss and try and insinuate things about what I am because I happen to have a certain view on here. I'll flip that round and say it says more about your parochial mind than about my questioning one.

Criticism is fine. We can all have our say and comment.

Personally I wouldn’t be playing Gomez at full back (a decision which I think will result in Gomez missing half the season). I think Fabinho is a better centre back for us than Matip or Lovren, and yes all things being equal, I’d rather have Clyne at the club.

That’s all part of the fun, but deep down most of us know that we’re commenting on these things from an impossibly small data set, and not only is Klopp a much better manager than any of us would ever be, he also has access to a far more comprehensive set of information.

PeachesEnRegalia

Epstein didn't kill himself

I believe we've shot ourselves in the foot in not strengthening this January and really hope it doesn't cost us. The injury issues were evident, historical and current. We saw how results dipped during the intense September sequence when we couldn't rotate the front three.

Sometimes small things are very indicative, and to me the Clyne decision was indicative of complacency, poor judgement and false economy.

And yes, FSG are entitled to take money out of the club, but when you've a real chance to step over the line to actually accomplishing something, and when extra investment would help bring that about, I believe it's short termism. Others will say the money is there regardless, that it's not connected, but my belief is that LFC is being run to a tight new spend budget that is less than it should be.

Didn’t read, lol

Druss

TIA Reserve Team

I didn't ask for your life story or proof that you're a 'true' fan. We've all supported the club through thick and thin.

Im also fortunate to have travelled the world on a few occasions and financially im fairly comfortable. For you to accuse me of being narrow minded when im calling you out on being negative is just your way of convincing youself you're righteous!

But ill try to give an example of your attitude. If you were currently a match going fan. Youd be the type instilling all the anxious and negative behaviour in the stadium rather than getting behind the team trying to help them and us get that illusive premier league title. I know youll convince yourself that im talking bollocks, but if you're the same in real life as you are on this forum then that would definetlely be the case.

This forum was set up years ago and it use to be said that what ever you discussed with your mates in the pub could be similarly discussed in here. (i dont know if thats still the case) If one of my mates constantly talked negative shit (the same negative shit) over and over again. Id pull him on it. Which is all ive done with you. What makes it worse......we're currently top of the league with a game in hand.

Im not saying don't question things. But cutting and pasting the same post over and over again doesn't make you right. The proof as of this moment in time is we sit top of the league. Will we stay there? Maybe, maybe not. But im going to enjoy every game because i believe we have a manager who can get the best out of every player we have and i trust his judgement.

Enjoy the rest of the season RedForever. I hope i can rub winning the league in your face at the end of it for both our sakes

RedForever2014

I didn't ask for your life story or proof that you're a 'true' fan. We've all supported the club through thick and thin.

Im also fortunate to have travelled the world on a few occasions and financially im fairly comfortable. For you to accuse me of being narrow minded when im calling you out on being negative is just your way of convincing youself you're righteous!

But ill try to give an example of your attitude. If you were currently a match going fan. Youd be the type instilling all the anxious and negative behaviour in the stadium rather than getting behind the team trying to help them and us get that illusive premier league title. I know youll convince yourself that im talking bollocks, but if you're the same in real life as you are on this forum then that would definetlely be the case.

This forum was set up years ago and it use to be said that what ever you discussed with your mates in the pub could be similarly discussed in here. (i dont know if thats still the case) If one of my mates constantly talked negative shit (the same negative shit) over and over again. Id pull him on it. Which is all ive done with you. What makes it worse......we're currently top of the league with a game in hand.

Im not saying don't question things. But cutting and pasting the same post over and over again doesn't make you right. The proof as of this moment in time is we sit top of the league. Will we stay there? Maybe, maybe not. But im going to enjoy every game because i believe we have a manager who can get the best out of every player we have and i trust his judgement.

Enjoy the rest of the season RedForever. I hope i can rub winning the league in your face at the end of it for both our sakes
As I said I'm leaving it now, hence why no response.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
@JMac8

I will certainly not waste my time. Why would anyone want to spend precious moments reading negativity. I just went down the /ignore route after I earned myself a point responding to it.

For someone who seems themselves successful in life, I hesitate. For what little I do know in my short time on this earth, is there are three types of social interaction you can engage someone in:

1 - negative (leaving the other(s) you have interacted with in a negative manner)

2 - neutral (the other parties are in the same mood as before)

3 - uplifting (where a person/group are in a better or more positive atmosphere then before)

I haven’t got the time for #1 and I used to be that person far too often. Sad that there are a few too many in this world who feel fit to use the anonymity of social media/internet in the tone of #1 to prove some kind of cleverness of self-righteousness

But if one translates that dialogue into a public, social interaction with other actual humans one would look like the batshit crazy lady I saw outside of the Milan cathedral spouting off some monologues to a bunch of strangers who couldn’t really give a fuck.

Or, look like a twat depending on the day.

Elessar

I think that everyone can see that we need more leadership and players that it hurt to play against.

If Suarez is available in the summer, sign him even if he is a bit old now. We also need a new Coutinho.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Nonsense. We missing
I think that everyone can see that we need more leadership and players that it hurt to play against.

If Suarez is available in the summer, sign him even if he is a bit old now. We also need a new Coutinho.
Nonsense. We missed 5 starters last night and had at least another 2-3 struggling through the game with illness.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Papers linking Brooks from Bournemouth to Utd a a top four team. Probably Spurs but anyone seen this guy? He any good, they owe us a good player to counter the average players we’ve sold them at a premium.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Papers linking Brooks from Bournemouth to Utd a a top four team. Probably Spurs but anyone seen this guy? He any good, they owe us a good player to counter the average players we’ve sold them at a premium.
I think he has been linked with us recently too.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I always think we have never had good alternatives to Mane, Salah and Firmino. Sturridge, Origi and Solanke are good players, just very different from those 3 who do very well in the system. With Solanke gone and possibly Sturridge too in the summer, we might keep Origi for the height option. But we need probably 2 players along the mould of our current front 3. Hardworking, decent to fast speed, highly adaptable and can score or assist. Some names that could be possible for us without paying 100 mil are Timo Werner or even Nicolas Pepe who right now is doing really well.

I think we are well stocked with midfielders

But defence, we definitely need good options to compete against TAA and Robertson and we might need to buy, i do not think our youths at those positions are quite as ready to at least have a decent run in the first team compared to youths like Wilson etc.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member

I've deliberately left out your romantic life story, as it's no different to that of tens if not hundreds of thousands of like minded supporters.

But the bit I've quoted is only your opinion, and it's massively based on assumptions.

You assume Klopp had no available funds in January.
You assume Klopp wanted to keep Clyne and the owners allowed Clyne to leave against his wishes.
You assume Klopp didn't plan to sign anyone in January.
You assume that there were players available that would fit into the plans of Klopp.

We saw how results dipped during the intense September sequence when we couldn't rotate the front three.

And if September is the worst dip in results I have to witness, then give me the same every season thanks.

Last edited:

bazza66

TIA Youth Team
I used to post on RAWK and there's some miserable sods on there, they were never happy unless they had something to whinge about. Of course, you never saw them in half-time/full-time threads if we won, but as soon as we were losing or lost, they would be flooding into the thread (the "excuse" was that there was more to talk about). I never understood those posters, you can't expect 100% positivity from everyone at all times but being 100% negative all the time must be so exhausting.
Your argument had me won over at 'I used to post on RAWK'

RedForever2014

I've deliberately left out your romantic life story, as it's no different to that of tens if not hundreds of thousands of like minded supporters.

But the bit I've quoted is only your opinion, and it's massively based on assumptions.

You assume Klopp had no available funds in January.
You assume Klopp wanted to keep Clyne and the owners allowed Clyne to leave against his wishes.
You assume Klopp didn't plan to sign anyone in January.
You assume that there were players available that would fit into the plans of Klopp.

And if September is the worst dip in results I have to witness, then give me the same every season thanks.
Didn't say I was a better supporter than anyone else. It was actually others who were saying that those of us being critical were lesser supporters.

Anyway, as I said to someone else, I'm leaving all that now. Feel free to attempt to bait away to open it up again, but I'm not going to waste anymore time on that aspect of this.

As to the initial subject matter, as I've said many times, nobody can prove what the reality of the situation is inside LFC (essentially the 'why').

My view relates to the 'what' regardless of the 'why'.

Re that 'what', my view is that we should have taken no chances with our title challenge and that even if we couldn't bring someone else in, we should have kept the squad numbers as was at this crucial juncture.

Given the colossal challenge, and gigantic psychological hurdle of actually winning the league, we cannot afford even the smallest issues to arise that could have been avoided.

Two points dropped because of a weakened defence in one match, could in the end be the difference between the PL title being secured or not.

Also, LFC has to negotiate not just an opponent with a stronger squad, but also a hostile media who seek to influence referees anytime we get a sniff of fair and comparable treatment, particularly in regards to penalties. This comes together with a bizarre alliance of clubs for whom the worst possible outcome is ourselves winning the title, as so perfectly demonstrated by the fact that Manchester United would rather their neighbours win the title than us. LFC's friends are few and far between, our enemies many.

They all want to be the one who took our dreams away. I had an Evertonian bragging to me to that effect yesterday. Poetic justice would be their defeat to City being the difference between them staying up and going down.

To win the title under these conditions, I believe we have to be able to win matches despite referees rather than because of fairness from them.

Hence why I believe that this time, in close pursuit of our first PL title, we should have taken no chances at all.

As a secondary point to the referee issue covered above, I actually wonder whether our only chance of fair refereeing is to be seen as the club with the title to lose, such that referees know that if they make a bad decision against us, they could be pinpointed as the reason a title was lost.

In short, if the only reason we drop points is because of bad decisions, they feel more pressure to lean towards us than against us.

If we are rocking, if we are fragile, if results are at risk anyway, if everyone is sticking their boot into us, referees kind of psychologically join the party.

It's the herd mentality in a way, something seen in every society and micro society, including on here.

Certainly, over the years, those in top spot have seen more favourable decisions than those chasing them.

So, all told, my view is that in light of those issues, LFC needs to over-compensate. We don't play on a level playing field.

It's a shame we didn't or couldn't increase our odds this January, so I just hope we find a way to win the PL regardless.

Last edited:

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Getting back to the thread.......

I would buy Ndombele.

Really like the look of him. Looks like a proper midfielder, he has power, pace and skill and one helluva shot. Problem is both of the Mancunian teams are sniffing.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Getting back to the thread.......

I would buy Ndombele.

Really like the look of him. Looks like a proper midfielder, he has power, pace and skill and one helluva shot. Problem is both of the Mancunian teams are sniffing.
Is he a 6, 8 or 10?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Is he a 6, 8 or 10?
I'm no expert but he looks looks like he can do a bit of everything. He gets stuck in and seems very attack-minded.

What I think we need is a decent CB who is not injury prone. We can't rely on Matip,Lovren or Gomez. They miss too many games.

Not sure if De Ligt is the answer but we need a robust CB and move on from Matip and Lovren I feel. Maybe there is a decent option in the EPL? Or maybe we could push for Koulibaly? He alongside Virgil would be impressive. Trouble with that idea is that Gomez is far too good for the bench.