• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Who would you buy?

RedForever2014

I've deliberately left out your romantic life story, as it's no different to that of tens if not hundreds of thousands of like minded supporters.

But the bit I've quoted is only your opinion, and it's massively based on assumptions.

You assume Klopp had no available funds in January.
You assume Klopp wanted to keep Clyne and the owners allowed Clyne to leave against his wishes.
You assume Klopp didn't plan to sign anyone in January.
You assume that there were players available that would fit into the plans of Klopp.

And if September is the worst dip in results I have to witness, then give me the same every season thanks.
Didn't say I was a better supporter than anyone else. It was actually others who were saying that those of us being critical were lesser supporters.

Anyway, as I said to someone else, I'm leaving all that now. Feel free to attempt to bait away to open it up again, but I'm not going to waste anymore time on that aspect of this.

As to the initial subject matter, as I've said many times, nobody can prove what the reality of the situation is inside LFC (essentially the 'why').

My view relates to the 'what' regardless of the 'why'.

Re that 'what', my view is that we should have taken no chances with our title challenge and that even if we couldn't bring someone else in, we should have kept the squad numbers as was at this crucial juncture.

Given the colossal challenge, and gigantic psychological hurdle of actually winning the league, we cannot afford even the smallest issues to arise that could have been avoided.

Two points dropped because of a weakened defence in one match, could in the end be the difference between the PL title being secured or not.

Also, LFC has to negotiate not just an opponent with a stronger squad, but also a hostile media who seek to influence referees anytime we get a sniff of fair and comparable treatment, particularly in regards to penalties. This comes together with a bizarre alliance of clubs for whom the worst possible outcome is ourselves winning the title, as so perfectly demonstrated by the fact that Manchester United would rather their neighbours win the title than us. LFC's friends are few and far between, our enemies many.

They all want to be the one who took our dreams away. I had an Evertonian bragging to me to that effect yesterday. Poetic justice would be their defeat to City being the difference between them staying up and going down.

To win the title under these conditions, I believe we have to be able to win matches despite referees rather than because of fairness from them.

Hence why I believe that this time, in close pursuit of our first PL title, we should have taken no chances at all.

As a secondary point to the referee issue covered above, I actually wonder whether our only chance of fair refereeing is to be seen as the club with the title to lose, such that referees know that if they make a bad decision against us, they could be pinpointed as the reason a title was lost.

In short, if the only reason we drop points is because of bad decisions, they feel more pressure to lean towards us than against us.

If we are rocking, if we are fragile, if results are at risk anyway, if everyone is sticking their boot into us, referees kind of psychologically join the party.

It's the herd mentality in a way, something seen in every society and micro society, including on here.

Certainly, over the years, those in top spot have seen more favourable decisions than those chasing them.

So, all told, my view is that in light of those issues, LFC needs to over-compensate. We don't play on a level playing field.

It's a shame we didn't or couldn't increase our odds this January, so I just hope we find a way to win the PL regardless.

Last edited:

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Getting back to the thread.......

I would buy Ndombele.

Really like the look of him. Looks like a proper midfielder, he has power, pace and skill and one helluva shot. Problem is both of the Mancunian teams are sniffing.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Getting back to the thread.......

I would buy Ndombele.

Really like the look of him. Looks like a proper midfielder, he has power, pace and skill and one helluva shot. Problem is both of the Mancunian teams are sniffing.
Is he a 6, 8 or 10?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Is he a 6, 8 or 10?
I'm no expert but he looks looks like he can do a bit of everything. He gets stuck in and seems very attack-minded.

What I think we need is a decent CB who is not injury prone. We can't rely on Matip,Lovren or Gomez. They miss too many games.

Not sure if De Ligt is the answer but we need a robust CB and move on from Matip and Lovren I feel. Maybe there is a decent option in the EPL? Or maybe we could push for Koulibaly? He alongside Virgil would be impressive. Trouble with that idea is that Gomez is far too good for the bench.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Matt Doherty(wolves) for RB allowing Trent move into a midfield role.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Brace yourself, mate...
What's wrong with Doherty that wasn't wrong with Robertson before we bought him.It's not only fashionable players who can do the job for us especially in FB position.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
They all want to be the one who took our dreams away. I had an Evertonian bragging to me to that effect yesterday. Poetic justice would be their defeat to City being the difference between them staying up and going down.
Why do you care?

It’s seems like a lot of fans spend way too much time worrying about what other fans think.

I couldn’t give a shit what a fan of another club thinks about Liverpool, least of all fucking Everton.

Mascot88

Admin
What's wrong with Doherty that wasn't wrong with Robertson before we y him.It's not only fashionable players who ycan do the job for us especially in FB position.
No, I’m on about Trent. I suggested something similar with Wan-Bissaka and got pelted with tomatoes.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
No, I’m on about Trent. I suggested something similar with Wan-Bissaka and got pelted with tomatoes.
I must have missed that. I'll keep the head down then and come back when there's a shortage of tomatoes.

RedForever2014

Why do you care?

It’s seems like a lot of fans spend way too much time worrying about what other fans think.

I couldn’t give a shit what a fan of another club thinks about Liverpool, least of all fucking Everton.
Not so much a case of caring, just really stating that there's a wall of hatred which LFC is up against and it's what feeds into institutional bias.

We all know directors of United et al all seek to influence the corridors of power.

It's subtle, but it's there, and ultimately it manifests in decisions made by the discipline committees and referees.

sms1986

Not so much a case of caring, just really stating that there's a wall of hatred which LFC is up against and it's what feeds into institutional bias.
Most clubs get hate from rivals to some extent, we just notice it more when it's against our own club. I'm not sure why you take it from being about rival fans to conspiracy theories about the directors of rival clubs.

We all know directors of United et al all seek to influence the corridors of power.
They do? Must not be working the way United have steadily declined since Ferguson left.

It's subtle, but it's there, and ultimately it manifests in decisions made by the discipline committees and referees.
This is one of those things where few people are ever going to change their mind because it's subjective.

Red over the water

Ndombele is a good shout for the midfield. But then again, I think Fabinho is going to be our boss for that position. The overall best midfield blend hasn’t really emerged yet though. AOC to come back will add a new dimension, and Wijnaldum has done very well this season. Henderson has been decent, but Keita hasn’t fully got going yet.

I think the biggest two needs in the squad are another striker, preferably versatile, but high quality.
The other big need is central defence. I would sell one or both of Lovren and Matip and upgrade the position. I really like Gomez alongside VVD and that might be the way to go, but I’d like a third option, preferably robust and reliably fit.

Those two players would see a lot of action, and then we can add one or two other back up options for lower cost, and/or promote some kids, which has served us well.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

Considering Utd are 6th how is that exactly working out for them?

RedForever2014

Because some Everton fans try and have some Bantz with you, this creates bias?

I’m lost.
Considering Utd are 6th how is that exactly working out for them?
Playing the man or the ball here chaps?

Was there not a study which concluded that LFC lost the most points to poor decisions last season and United gained the most?

That United are 6th despite getting favourable decisions is not the point.

My point is simply that in light of bias and prejudice against LFC that certainly exists in the media, and seemingly in the FA/PL and referees, in order to win things LFC has to go the extra mile that it wouldn't have to otherwise.

sms1986

Was there not a study which concluded that LFC lost the most points to poor decisions last season and United gained the most?
That was one season which means it isn't necessarily the norm. If they did one for multiple seasons and found the same result happening consistently, then it could be seen as evidence of bias against us and towards United.

Have they had many more favourable decisions than us this season? We're joint top and they're fifth, although up until December they were underperforming badly,

My point is simply that in light of bias and prejudice against LFC that certainly exists in the media, and seemingly in the FA/PL and referees, in order to win things LFC has to go the extra mile that it wouldn't have to otherwise.
All clubs can claim some form of bias and prejudice against them that exists in the media and seemingly in the FA/PL/referees, certainly many fans from every club believe the referees are far worse for their team than others.

I don't believe we have to go the extra mile, we were just not that great in the 1990s and we almost went into administration not too long ago because of shitty owners. Now with better owners, a great manager and a strong squad we're better able to compete and we'll see more consistency in that regard over the next few seasons.

Mascot88

Admin
That study, if I remember correctly, adjusted for the affects of bad decisions and luck. whatever you think about bias, having a referee shaft you is hardly the same as hitting the post a lot.

If you want to use that as evidence of bias, the result may not be as damning as you think it is.

jaffod

That study, if I remember correctly, adjusted for the affects of bad decisions and luck. whatever you think about bias, having a referee shaft you is hardly the same as hitting the post a lot.

If you want to use that as evidence of bias, the result may not be as damning as you think it is.
The 'luck' element was deflected goals only and everything else was based on bad decisions by the officials. None of the points we lost were down to deflected goals. 12 points equates to us having to win 4 games just to be on a level playing field and even that was compounded by City and United gaining points from bad decisions.

Red Eyes

Playing the man or the ball here chaps?

I’ll bet there is a study that shows that over time, fans only remember the big decisions that go against them

sms1986

It genuinely baffles me how any Liverpool supporter who's watched the shite we've had to endure over the last few seasons can still have the attitude that it 'all evens itself out'.
Who is saying that in this current discussion? Also, a lot of fans could say the same thing, we're just going to be biased towards our own team.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Based on what, though? A study of one season?
We've consistently been the team most negatively affected by the "justice league" or whatever they call it whenever they work out how teams have been harshly done by bad decisions. Like year after year after year. There's also high ranking football officials that have concurrently held roles at United and the FA. None of these points should be surprising to anyone. And the arguments that United are doing poorly are daft. If I ran a race against Bolt was unfairly given a false start and some body tripped him up half way through he'd probably still beat me. Does that mean I wasn't given an unfair advantage?